{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2017

8th September 2017 22:58

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Carlisle United 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
Hope 15. Butcher 58. Hemmings missed pen 52
Attendance: 4677 (280 from Mansfield)

Date: 2 September 2017


Martin Shaw at Brunton Park

A goal just two minutes after coming on for his debut as substitute by Calum Butcher earned Mansfield a point in an eventful draw at Carlisle this afternoon. This was just six minutes after Mansfield missed yet another penalty, their third miss this season, as Carlisle keeper Jack Bonham saved from Kane Hemmings’ spot kick. It was a fair result in my opinion, and in the opinion of both managers, with Carlisle taking the lead in the first half, and hitting the woodwork twice. Carlisle took the lead on 15 minutes. A Jacob Mellis free kick was headed away by Mike Jones on the edge of his own area, and Luke Joyce knocked the ball forward for striker Hallam Hope to run on to. Just Mal Benning was back for Mansfield, he tried to tackle Hope, Hope knocked the ball passed him on the halfway line, and ran through for a 1-on-1 with Logan, sliding the ball past Logan from just outside the area. No blame attached to Logan, but Benning should have done better on the halfway line. Just a minute earlier, Hope was unlucky when he thundered a header against the bar from a Tom Miller long throw-in from the right. The Stags were very much second best at the point, but twice came close to equalising before the break. Firstly, Joel Byrom’s corner was punched away by the keeper as far as Mellis, who brilliantly took the ball past Joyce on the edge of the area to create a shooting chance and he thundered a piledriver that was heading for the left corner of the net before the keeper brilliantly blocked it up in the air. Then a free kick from Hemmings from 22 yards was well placed towards the right corner of the net before the keeper made another great save, tipping it wide. The Stags won their third penalty in the last 6 games on 52 minutes as Paul Anderson was clumsily bundled over by Tom Miller after Rhys Bennett’s cross. It was a clear penalty. Kane Hemmings stepped up and sent his kick to the keeper’s right, but the keeper pulled off a fine save. This was a much better kick than the terrible efforts from Danny Rose and Jimmy Spencer, but again it didn’t find the net. Steve Evans said afterwards that Hemmings had been practising penalties all week and burying all of them. On 56 minutes, the Stags brought on new signing Calum Butcher, a terrific signing from Millwall on deadline day, and within two minutes he had scored a fabulous equaliser. Paul Anderson’s high ball into the area from the left was punched away by the keeper straight to Butcher, 27 yards from goal just to the left of centre, and Butcher sent a first-time side-footed volley back over the keeper and into the net. Absolute quality from the new signing. Butcher nearly repeated his heroics 10 minutes later when a corner was again punched by the keeper straight to him, and this time he shot just over the bar. David Mirfin had a great chance to give the Stags the lead on 77 minutes when a corner from the left found Mirfin in plenty of space three yards out, but the ball just hit and ran through to the keeper. You’d fancy a sharp striker to bury that but perhaps not a centre half. Mansfield looked the more likely winners at this stage, but it was Carlisle who went closest to winning it when sub Shaun Miller fired a magnificent effort from 27 yards through a crowd of players and against the left post with Logan motionless. A lucky escape for the Stags. So a fair result in the end. If this was following up a win over Luton last week, and a draw at Accrington the week before, as it should have been, I think we’d be quite happy with this result. But as it is, it was just a touch disappointing and especially bearing in mind another missed penalty. A hugely impressive appearance as substitute from Calum Butcher, who looks like he might be a star player for the Stags, and another sub Alfie Potter also looked very good when he came on. Both will surely start next week against Grimsby.

Stags boss Steve Evans named an unchanged side from the side that played so well against Luton last Saturday. Evans explained before the game that the team had played so well for 85 minutes that it was only right to name the same starting XI. Evans did ask me before the game which goalkeeper I would have picked and I said Olejnik. Evans told me it was very close between the two of them but in his opinion Logan had not been at fault for the goals against Luton, so he had kept him in. Also in my opinion, Alfie Potter was extremely unlucky not to have forced his way into the team after his outstanding performance on Tuesday in the Checkatrade Trophy. Calum Butcher, a stellar signing from Millwall on deadline day, had to bide his time on the bench.



Mansfield Town drop more points with missed penalty
chad.co.uk, by (Agency) SPORTS REPORTER, Saturday 02 September 2017

New boy Calum Butcher scored on debut as Mansfield’s stuttered start to the season continued with a 1-1 draw at Carlisle. Halam Hope opened the scoring before deadline day signing Butcher scored within two minutes of coming off the bench to grab the Stags a point. With the Stags chasing the game Kane Hemmings missed a penalty at the Brunton Park. The Stags struggled in the opening exchanges as the hosts carved out the chances. A long throw caused Evans’ men all sorts of trouble with the visitors indebted to the bar for keeping out Mark Ellis’ thunderous header. However, Mansfield found themselves behind just a minute later. It was a great counter-attacking goal as Hope charged half the length of the pitch for his second goal in as many games in the 15th minute. Down the other end Jacob Mellis’ free-kick was headed clear with Hope beating Malvind Benning to the ball before slotting home past the stranded Conrad Logan. On the stroke of the break they almost drew level. Loanee Hemmings’ wonderful curling free-kick bent around the wall and was only kept out by the sprawling Bonham in the Cumbrians’ net. It was an action-packed start to the second half as the Stags missed a penalty before equalising. Anderson was grappled to the floor by with in-form Bonham diving to his right to keep out Hemmings’ spot kick. Hemmings was given a reprieve seven minutes later as Butcher levelled proceedings. It took something special to beat Bonham as Butcher sweetly struck a 25-yard looping volley over the shot stopper after he punched a cross clear. And Butcher nearly replicated the feat later in the half as Bonham’s punch feel to him inside the box - only for the former Tottenham trainee to fire over. The Stags really tried to push for all three points. Hemmings had an effort beaten away by Bonham with Anderson smashing the follow up over.

Carlisle: Bonham, Miller, Liddle, Ellis, Grainger, Lambe (Kennedy, 71), Jones, Joyce, Adams, Hope (Cosgrove, 90), Bennett (Miller, 80). Unused subs: George, Nabi, Brown, Devitt.

Mansfield: Logan, Bennett, Pearce, Mirfin, Benning, Anderson, Mellis (Butcher, 56), Byrom, Atkinson (Potter, 56), Angol (Rose, 68), Hemmings. Unused subs: Olejnik, Spencer, White, MacDonald.

Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire) Attendance: 4,677 (280)

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town-drop-more-points-with-missed-penalty-1-8734300


MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Mansfield
Report from the Saturday afternoon Sky Bet League Two fixture
by Andy Hall

United played host to Mansfield Town on Saturday afternoon in their latest Sky Bet League Two fixture.

And it was a tight affair which ended all-square after Mansfield bagged a second half goal to cancel out an early impressive finish from hallam Hope.

A foul on Hope sparked an early Carlisle attack as Grainger's delivery was nodded out for a throw. Tom Miller launched it into the box but Logan was well placed to pluck a looped Ellis header from beneath the bar.


Mansfield played some good football of their own as they settled into the game but concentration from Miller and Grainger in wide defensive positions kept the home back line safe.

Striker Richie Bennett showed good strength when he took a ball on his thigh and worked room for a cross, which was clipped behind for a corner. The whistle blew for an infringement as Grainger drilled that into the area.

The Cumbrians were almost made to a pay a heavy price for a moment of hesitation when Angol robbed Liddle deep inside the United half. Kane Hemmings set off on a sprint but he didn't quite have enough to get onto the swirling through ball.

Carlisle were the width of the crossbar away from taking the lead on 14 minutes when Tom Miller whisked another long throw into the mix. Mark Ellis met it on the full with a crisp header and Logan was relieved to see it smash back off the woodwork.

It was a short-lived reprieve for the Stags as Luke Joyce found a perfect through ball for Hope to latch on to. The striker's first touch took him clean through a sliding challenge from Rhys Bennett and he didn't disappoint as he gobbled up the yards, drew the keeper and picked his spot in the bottom corner.

United were close again when Adams fizzed a fierce corner into the six-yard box. The slightest of touches from Benning was just enough to stop Ellis from heading it into an open goal.

Keeper Jack Bonham had to take care as a long range effort from Anderson flew right at him, but it was the hosts who continued to look the more likely as they played some excellent football. One such passage of neat play ended with a cross from Adams which was just a millimetre too high for Ellis to do anything with.

Set pieces were proving to be a good method of causing problems for the opposition for United and a deep one from Grainger was hooked back into the penalty area by Richie Bennett. Hope got there but his header dropped onto the roof of the net.

A free kick at the other end had the Blues momentarily at sixes and sevens and Bonham showed strong hands to beat a thunderbolt from Mellis over the bar as he put his boot through a 17-yard half clearance.

Stags striker Lee Angol was fortunate not to see a red card when he lashed out at Ellis, as the pair picked themselves up from the floor following a meaty challenge, and Mansfield almost took advantage of a temporary loss of concentration in the aftermath of the arguments. Bonham showed more excellent keeping skills as he became the last line of defence with a superb one-handed save from Hemmings.

An acrobatic overhead kick from Joyce wasn't too far away as he showed first for a Miller throw, well into time added on for the half, and it was Carlisle who left the pitch the happier when the half way whistle blew.

Keeper Jack Bonham achieved hero status shortly after the restart when Tom Miller was judged to have pulled Anderson to the floor inside the box. The keeper guessed the right way as Hemmings put power behind his penalty kick and completed a stunning save as he got both hands to the drive.

Carlisle had an appeal of their own moments after the save but it was turned away as Bennett fell to the floor under pressure from Benning. And disaster struck for United just before the hour when Bonham raced off his line to punch a deep cross out of the area. Stags substitute Calum Butcher Marked his arrival with a measured lob from the clearance which left the stranded Cumbrian stopper with no chance.

The visitors edged on top after their equaliser and Butcher was close to a second when he was the man to get on the end of another punch from Bonham. He chose to rifle it on this occasion and it rose just too high over the bar.

Carlisle had to settle themselves and good work from Hope saw him hold the ball up as he waited for support. He spun and played it through but Jones had his shot blocked as he looked to finish it off.

Bonham saved at full length from Hemmings as Mansfield went on a quick break, and Joyce was denied by the width of the post as he volleyed from deep through a ruck of bodies. Logan was beaten and relieved to see it bounce back to safety.

The same post came into play moments later when Shaun Miller pulled the trigger from 30-yards out. Logan could only watch as it rattled into the frame and was hooked away by Mirfin.

A deflected shot from Kennedy was tipped over by Logan as it threatened to drop under the bar, and that was that as the clock ticked down to a share of the spoils from an enjoyable game.



Carlisle United - Hope (15)

Mansfield Town - Butcher (59)



Carlisle United - Joyce (25), Ellis (42)

Mansfield Town - Mellis (27), Angol (42), Butcher (82), Mirfin (86)



Carlisle United - Bonham, T Miller, Grainger, Joyce, Liddle, Jones, Hope (Cosgrove 90), Adams, Bennett (S Miller 80), Ellis, Lambe (Kennedy 70). Subs - George, Devitt, Nabi, Brown.

Mansfield Town - Logan, Bennett, Benning, Pearce, Mellis (Butcher 55), Angol (Rose 68), Anderson, Atkinson (Potter 55), Mirfin, Hemmings, Byrom. Subs - Olejnik, MacDonald, Spencer, White.


Referee - Darren Handley

Attendance - 4,677 (280 away fans)


Carlisle Utd have to settle for draw against Mansfield after Hallam Hope strike
Bonham saves penalty but substitute Butcher snatches point for visitors
newsandstar.co.uk, 2 September 2017, by STUART WALKER

photo: Referee Darren Handley speaks to Carlisle Manager Keith Curle about the ball boys drying the ball

Carlisle Utd 1 Mansfield Town 1: Carlisle United had to settle for a point against Mansfield despite Hallam Hope firing the Blues ahead.

The striker raced through to score after just 15 minutes at Brunton Park.

United keeper Jack Bonham saved a Kane Hemmings penalty early in the second half.


But shortly after the Stags got level through sub Calum Butcher.

United hit the woodwork three times, including two efforts in the closing stages from Luke Joyce and sub Shaun Miller.

But they were left with their first draw of the League Two season after five games, in front of a 4,677 crowd.

Defender Mark Ellis went close in the 13th minute when he headed a Tom Miller long throw against the bar.

But two minutes later United were ahead.

As the Blues cleared a Stags free-kick, Joyce helped the ball on and striker Hope touched it past last man Rhys Bennett before keeping his cool to slot past keeper Conrad Logan.

Carlisle forced further half-chances as their deliveries from wide positions caused regular problems for Steve Evans' defence.

Ellis narrowly failed to meet a further cross, while later Joyce put an overhead kick over the visitors' bar.

Mansfield came more into the game as the half went on and forced a few chances of their own.

Their best was a free-kick from Hemmings which drew a superb save from Bonham.

Carlisle's recalled keeper also did well to block a Lee Angol attempt, while Ellis got in the way of a Paul Anderson finish.

Ref Darren Handley was also in the thick of things in the first 45 minutes.

One flashpoint saw Mansfield striker Lee Angol appear to kick out at Ellis after being awarded a free-kick, the two players then squaring up.

Carlisle fans called for the Mansfield frontman to be dismissed but Handley only produced a yellow card - Ellis also being booked.

The ref was involved in off-field controversy too as he was called over by the fourth official midway through the half to speak to Carlisle manager Keith Curle.

The result was that towels which United's players had been using to dry the ball before throw-ins had to be removed from the ball-boys.

Mansfield upped things after the break and after Mellis wasted a good opening, Tom Miller's climb on Paul Anderson was penalised by Handley.

Hemmings stepped up, but Bonham guessed right to save the spot-kick.

Seven minutes later, though, Evans' side found a way back.

Bonham came out to punch clear a cross, but debutant Butcher - on the pitch for just two minutes after replacing Mellis - sent it sailing over the stranded keeper and into the net.

Butcher had a chance to double his tally later but cleared the bar this time.

Mike Jones couldn't quite reach a through ball as Carlisle tried to come back into things.

Bonham saved from Hemmings as Mansfield remained on top in the second half, while David Mirfin blew a great opening when a corner landed at his feet.

But United could easily have won it in the closing 12 minutes.

First, Joyce sent a left-footed effort spinning against the post.

And then Shaun Miller, on for Bennett, cut in from the left and cracked the same upright.

The United manager made five changes from the side that started Tuesday night's Checkatrade Trophy win at Morecambe, with Nicky Adams, Reggie Lambe, Tom Miller, Bonham and Bennett coming back into the side.

Gary Liddle was alongside man-of-the-match Ellis at centre-half, with Tom Parkes serving a one-match suspension.

United: Bonham, T Miller, Grainger, Ellis, Liddle, Joyce, Jones, Adams, Lambe (Kennedy 71), Bennett (S Miller 80), Hope (Cosgrove 90). Not used: George, Devitt, Nabi, Brown.

Mansfield: Logan, Bennett, Benning, Pearce, Mirfin, Byrom, Mellis (Butcher 56), Atkinson (Potter 56), Anderson, Angol (Rose 68), Hemmings. Not used: Olejnik, White, MacDonald, Spencer.



Latest | September 2017