{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2017

27th March 2017 0:05

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 2 - 0 Carlisle United
Green 63, Coulthirst 76
Attendance: 4463 (561 from Carlisle)

Date: 18 March 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town ended their 4 match goal drought and got back to winning ways with a thoroughly convincing 2-0 win over 4th placed Carlisle United. The Stags had played well for 45 minutes in the defeat against Plymouth and then played well for 45 minutes in the defeat against Colchester, but here played well for 90 minutes and finally got their just rewards. The Stags were the better side in the first half as Danny Rose and Shaq Coulthirst both drew good saves from Carlisle keeper Mark Gillespie, and Danny Rose had a goal disallowed for offside as he headed home from close range after Matt Green headed into his path. Our pitchside video suggests he was indeed offside. The Stags should have been in front on 57 minutes when Danny Rose pulled back to Coulthirst, whose shot was parried by the keeper, into the path of Rose, who should have scored but fired wide with only the keeper to beat. The long awaited goal came on 63 minutes. Coulthirst did superbly on the left to find room for a cross, shuffling the ball from his right foot to his left foot and back, and his high cross was met by Matt Green, who sent an excellent looping header into the top left corner. The goal brought the house down, with huge relief all round. CJ Hamilton should have doubled the lead on 74 minutes but fired straight at the keeper. Mansfield did make it 2-0 on 76 minutes to seal the game. Hayden White lobbed a ball forward to the corner of the area on the left. Coulthirst got there first, cut back inside makeshift right back Gary Liddle on to his right foot, and fired a fabulous low shot into the bottom right corner of the net, across the keeper, who never moved. A wonderful goal from Coulthirst. Coulthirst had an opportunity to set Danny Rose away a minute later for a chance of a 1-on-1 with the keeper but his pass was poor and intercepted. Carlisle forced several corners late on but didn’t look like pulling a goal back. A very important win for Mansfield, who are back to three points behind 7th place, and four points behind 5th and 6th place. All to play for 8 games to go. Plenty of really good performances in the Stags side with the pick of the bunch being Danny Rose who was excellent up front as was Shaq Coulthirst, who made one and scored the other.

Mansfield made three changes from the side that lost at Colchester. Jake Kean returned from injury in place of Scott Shearer. Danny Rose and Shaq Coulthirst returned as the front pair, in place of Lee Collins and Ashley Hemmings. Collins has a hamstring injury. Hemmings was dropped from the 18. Alfie Potter was going to start but felt his knee in training on Friday so wasn’t risked in the starting XI. Matt Green had done well on Tuesday when moved to wide midfield, so Evans elected to play him wide again, this time on the left, to attempt to get at right back Tom Miller. It was a 4-4-2 formation with Byrom and Whiteman in central midfield, and MacDonald in right midfield. It was therefore a very attacking line-up. It was announced just before kick off that Steve Evans was serving a one game touchline ban following his sending off at Grimsby. He was allowed in the dressing room and allowed to do media interviews, but took his place next to John and Carolyn Radford in the directors’ box to watch the game. Late in the game, he could be heard shouting instructions to Matt Green and CJ Hamilton, very loudly.

Before the game Steve Evans commented that he thought Mansfield need 18 points from 9 games to reach the play-offs.



MATCH REPORT: Stags 2-0 Carlisle
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 18 March 2017

Matt Green’s 13th goal of the season finally eased goal-shy Mansfield Town back to winning ways as they saw off rivals Carlisle United 2-0 at the One Call Stadium this afternoon.

The Stags had suffered a miserable 438 minutes without a goal before top scorer Green’s breakthrough on 63 minutes today.

Home nerves were finally eased when Shaq Coulthirst then smashed in a second on 76 minutes and the Stags had a first win in five in the bag.

Carlisle have now gone six games without a win or a goal and former Stags boss Keith Curle has work to do to stop their superb season fading into nothing.

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-stags-2-0-carlisle-1-8446048

Carlisle had hammered Stags 5-2 at Brunton Park, but today they could have no complaints as Stags dominated throughout, as they have done in much of recent games, but this time getting the reward of a couple of goals, having again wasted several good earlier openings.

Despite a cut head, Danny Rose was everywhere and man of the match, but only just ahead of Coulthirst, who scored one and made one.

The win pushed Stags up a place to ninth and cut the five-point gap to the play-offs to three points.

The Stags line-up showed three changes. Kean’s return in goal ahead of schedule after bruised bones was a surprise, Shearer dropping to the bench. In also came front pair Danny Rose and Shaq Coulthirst, Lee Collins and Ashley Hemmings missing out and Green dropping deeper into a midfield role. The United line-up included two ex-Stags in defender Michael Raynes and winger Reggie Lambe. Stags boss Evans served a one game touchline ban today for his dismissal to the stands at Grimsby. And there was warm applause from the home fans for ex-Stags boss Keith Curle as he walked towards the Carlisle dug-out. Krystian Pearce kept the captain’s armband after taking it over on Tuesday night. A brisk start from the Stags won them a corner after only four minutes, but Bennett’s header was off target. There was then a lengthy hold up after Rose and Tom Miller clashed heads, Rose eventually continuing with a bandage round his head but Tom Miller had to be replaced by McQueen, going off with blood pouring from what looked likely to be a broken nose. Coulthirst had the first shot of the game on 15 minutes as he tried a swerving 20 yard effort which Gillespie hung onto well. On 20 minutes, despite several attempts to foul him, White managed to power on forwards before dragging a low shot wide of the Carlisle goal. A minute later Green laid a ball back towards Benning on the left and his first time cross was headed over by Rose, which finally saw his bandage come off. Then Rose lofted a forward ball into the box which Coulthirst reached and made space for a low shot from a tight angle on the right that forced Gillespie into a low near post save. Stags suffered a blow on 28 minutes when skipper Pearce limped off after stretching into a challenge and was eventually replaced by Howkins after two minutes playing with 10 men. Rose suffered another clash of heads, this time with Raynes, and the referee decided Rose was guilty and booked him. United finally threatened on 31 minutes as a free kick was helped on into the box and Shaun Miller tried to lob Kean but lifted the ball onto the top of the net. Then a strange moment saw Stags break well but, with Green and Coulthirst alongside each other, but both stopped assuming offside. McQueen was booked on 34 minutes for hacking down an increasingly bruised Rose. Mansfield finally had the ball in the net on 35 minutes as Green sent it across goal where Rose headed in, bit from an offside position. Rose thought he had scored on 37 minutes when White put the ball in low from the right only to see Gillespie somehow manage to claw away his close range finish. Proctor wasn’t far wide with a neat half-volley on the turn on 41 minutes after good control 20 yards out. Seven minutes were added for the earlier injuries and as we entered those Coulthirst might have done better when a corner was headed to him 20 yards out and he disappointingly sliced his half-volley over the bar. After Benning has sent an early chance wide, Bennett failed to net the first decent opening on 50 minutes as MacDonald did superbly well to reach a ball destined for a goalkick and pulled back a low cross that Bennett sent first time at Gillespie. The scoreless agony went on for the home side on 57 minutes as Gillespie blocked Coulthirst’s fierce shot and Rose could only find the sidenetting with his follow-up. But on 63 minutes the home side finally broke through. Coulthirst had the ball wide left with two defenders in front of him but managed to create space to arrow in a cross between them and Green, eight yards from goal and central, cushioned a perfect header wide of a helpless Gillespie. The home side then began to take firm control and won three more corners on the trot. But there was a moment’s worry as McQueen headed an Adams cross wide at the far post. On 74 minutes Rose sent Coulthirst down the centre. The defenders held him up well, but he looked up and fed Hamilton for a first time shot that was straight at the keeper. But Mansfield’s second goal came out of the blue on 76 minutes. Coulthirst had defenders in front of him on the left of the box but made his move and sent a rasping low shot across the keeper and inside the far post. Rose was given a superb reception by the home fans for his all-action display when he was replaced by Arquin on 80 minutes. O’Sullivan stung Kean’s hands with a 20 yard shot on 87 minutes as the visitors looked for a lifeline.

STAGS: Kean, White, Pearce (Howkins 29), Bennett, Benning, Green, Whiteman, Byrom, MacDonald (Hamilton 70), Rose (Arquin 80), Coulthirst. Subs not used: Shearer, McGuire, Baxendale, Potter.

CARLISLE: Gillespie, Grainger, Joyce, Raynes, Proctor (Joachim 60), Adams, Brisley, Lambe, S. Miller, T. Miller (McQueen 9, O’Sullivan 72), Liddle. Subs not used: Crocombe, Ward, Hooper, Waring. REFEREE: Brendan Malone of Wiltshire.

ATTENDANCE: 4,463 (561 away).



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield 2 - 0 United
carlisleunited.co.uk, by Andy Hall

The Stags took their second half chances and brought an end to their winless run as United worked hard without quite managing to find a way through at the One Call Stadium.

Mansfield got onto the ball early and a whipped cross from Byrom had to be dealt with by Brisley as Coulthirst lurked. The resulting corner delivery was well served but Bennett couldn't keep his header down.

Defender Tom Miller needed treatment as he and Rose clashed heads with just five minutes on the clock, and his day was quickly ruled as over as the medical staff struggled to contain the flow of blood from his nose.

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/report-from-the-saturday-afternoon-away-game-3629193.aspx#2HQsoGud9RdwWDSp.99

United enjoyed some good possession after the restart but Gillespie had to be on his toes when Coulthirst twisted to take a shot from the edge of the box. It dipped and swirled but the keeper caught it comfortably.

Set pieces from Danny Grainger made the Stags work hard to protect their lines but good defending prevented strikers Miller and Proctor from pulling the trigger.

A determined run from Hayden White ended with a scuffed shot which bobbled well wide as the hosts continued to try to play at a high tempo, and a snapshot from Benning gave Rose a chance to put his head in the way. He got there in time but his touch took it over the target.

Mansfield went close again when Coulthirst reacted first to a high ball over the top. He opted for a first time shot from a tight angle and Gillespie stayed big to make the save.

The Cumbrians thought they'd picked the lock just after the half hour when a free kick from deep was flicked on by Proctor. Striker Shaun Miller connected with an acrobatic scissor kick but it dropped onto the roof of the net with the keeper well beaten.

Mansfield had a goal ruled out for offside as they sent men forward to try to calm the increasingly agitated home crowd, and Gillespie produced a fine instinctive save when a cross ballooned off Adams and spun into the air. Rose waited and unleashed a stinging volley which the visiting stopper did well to parry.

Close ball control from Jamie Proctor gave him half a sight of the target when he battled to get a difficult pass under control. A chest down and touch with the toe was followed by a crunching connection which buzzed past the angle of post and bar.

Another well placed Grainger corner caused problems as Raynes and Brisley got touches inside the box to keep the ball alive. Kean came off his line to gather the troublesome ball into his chest.

Coulthirst scuffed a difficult volley wide at the other end as seven minutes of added time were shown, and Miller did the same for United as he tried to take Kean by surprise.

A Mansfield move full of incident signalled the start of the second half as Whiteman combined with Byrom to get past Gillespie. The cross was cleared by Raynes but Benning whipped a mishit attempt towards the corner flag.

The Stags came again but Bennett was disappointed when he popped a low shot right at Gillespie as he got onto the end of a pull back from Rose.

Mansfield had two excellent chances sparked when Coulthirst burst through the offside trap. The forward hesitated then drilled a toe poke which Gillespie palmed away. Rose was onto the rebound but he snatched at it and crunched the ball into the side netting.

It was to be a short reprieve as Green stood his ground for a floated cross which fell towards the penalty spot. His header had direction and Gillespie could do nothing as it looped into his top corner.

McQueen put a back post header behind as he got on the end of a cross from Adams following a goalmouth scramble, but it was Mansfield who dealt another blow when Coulthirst beat his man with a neat bit of control. He stepped inside and swept a good finish into the bottom corner of the net.

Carlisle had a string of four corners late in the day but the yellow shirts stood tall to keep the back door shut. O'Sullivan let fly from distance as he tried to make something happen, but the ball wouldn't fall and the Stags were able to see the game out to claim their points.



Mansfield Town - Green (63), Coulthirst (75)



Mansfield Town - Rose (31)

Carlisle United - McQueen (34), Lambe (84), Brisley (90)



Mansfield Town - Kean, Bennett, Benning, Pearce (Howkins 28), Coulthirst, Green, White, MacDonald (Hamilton 70), Byrom, Whiteman, Rose (Arquin 80). Subs - Shearer, Potter, Baxendale, McGuire.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller (McQueen 8 (O'Sullivan 72)), Raynes, Brisley, Grainger, Lambe, Joyce, Liddle, Adams, S Miller, Proctor (Joachim 60). Subs - Crocombe, Ward, Hooper, Waring.


Referee - Mr Brendan Malone

Attendance - 4,463 (561 away fans)



Latest | March 2017