{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2017

6th March 2017 0:26

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Yeovil Town 0 - 0 Mansfield Town
Attendance: 2766 (111 from Mansfield)

Date: 28 February 2017


Martin Shaw at Huish Park

Mansfield Town were held 0-0 at Yeovil on Tuesday night in a game that based on chances created the Stags should have won comfortably. Yet it could have been very different if Stags keeper Scott Shearer had been sent off after just 6 minutes. Shearer’s initial clearance was poor, it was knocked back forward to Kevin Dawson, Shearer unwisely came out of his area, and as Dawson tried to lift the ball over him and goalwards, Shearer jumped up and saved with his hand fully 10 yards outside his own area. In my opinion it was a clear goalscoring opportunity as the ball seemed to be heading goalwards though I couldn’t say for sure if it would have gone in, and Shearer should have been sent off. He only received a yellow card. After the game the two managers had different opinions, Steve Evans agreed with the decision as he said Dawson’s ball over Shearer was going well wide. Yeovil manager Darren Way on the other hand felt it was the clearest of red cards. The Stags were on the back foot in the opening 20 minutes with Yeovil on top with Shearer making comfortable saves from the resulting free kick and later from a deflected shot from Alex Lawless. But the Stags completely dominated the remaining 70 minutes and should have won comfortably. On 32 minutes, Ben Whiteman sent a left footed volley just over the bar from a cross from Lee Collins. That was a good effort, but Whiteman then should have done better on 37 minutes when Alex MacDonald found him with a great ball and Whiteman’s effort lacked power straight at the keeper. The Stags should have been ahead on 55 minutes with an amazing triple miss. CJ Hamilton did very well to get to the byline and pull back to Whiteman, whose first shot from 12 yards was saved, the ball came back to him and his second shot was blocked, the ball came out to Byrom who blazed over. On 67 minutes, keeper Krysiak brilliantly saved Krystian Pearce’s powerful drive from 10 yards following Byrom’s corner. On 75 minutes, Pat Hoban headed wide from Byrom’s free kick. There were other chances too as the Stags poured forward but the game ended with Stags players collapsing on the floor in disappointment at not having won the game. A good performance from the Stags for the final 70 minutes but without that clinical finishing. Plenty of Stags players played well with Joel Byrom and Alex MacDonald perhaps the pick. Gutting not to win, but if the Stags continue to play like this, there is every chance of a win at Cheltenham on Saturday. That will be on a very poor pitch however and the Stags will have to find a way to play in those conditions.

It was another windy day but the Stags coped with it the better than Yeovil. The pitch was like a bowling green, great credit to Yeovil.

Mansfield made three changes from the side that started against Newport. Jake Kean was ruled out with the leg injury he picked up on Saturday and he is expected to be out for about 10-14 days (the injury is just bruising, and fortunately not worse). Scott Shearer continued in goal having come on as substitute on Saturday. Brian Jensen was therefore back on the bench. Hayden White returned from suspension. Lee Collins reverted from right back to midfield. Out went Jamie McGuire. Finally Alex MacDonald replaced Pat Hoban. It was a 4-4-1-1 formation with MacDonald playing just behind Shaq Coulthirst. Danny Rose again missed out with a slight hamstring injury and Matt Green missed out with a groin injury.



MATCH REPORT: Stags are held to scoreless draw at Yeovil
chad.co.uk, by SPORTS REPORTER (AGency), Tuesday 28 February 2017

Mansfield Town just couldn’t break down a resolute Yeovil Town defence as they remain eighth following a 0-0 draw at Huish Park tonight.

Steve Evans’ men probably just about edged the possession and chances count overall, but they couldn’t make any of those opportunities count.

Still, their impressive recent run now reads just one defeat in 12 games - certainly play-off form in anyone’s book.

Mansfield made three changes. Scott Shearer began the night in goal in place of the injured Jake Kean, though Stags will have been delighted to hear that scans and X-rays have revealed only bone bruising and he should be within the next fortnight.


Also out went striker Pat Hoban and midfielder Jamie McGuire, replaced by right back Hayden White, back from a one-game ban, and midfielder Alex MacDonald, playing a more attacking role for the night to back up Shaq Coulthirst.

Skipper Lee Collins moved back into a defensive midfield role to allow White to return to full back.

Strike pair Danny Rose and Matt Green were not risked with slight injuries.

Neither side could find a breakthrough during what proved to be an end-to-end opening period.

Yeovil were also furious when Stags keeper Shearer handled well outside his box after only five minutes and got away with a booking.

The Glovers, without a victory in their previous five games, went close early on as Kevin Dawson tried his luck from distance, only to see his shot drift narrowly wide.

Bevis Mugabi lashed in a similar effort moments later, one which also flew harmlessly wide.

The Stags finally responded positively and CJ Hamilton clipped a left-footed strike inches over the crossbar.

As the visitors tried to turn the screw a little, they again came close to opening the scoring when Ben Whiteman drilled a shot past the angle of post and crossbar.

Joel Byrom was looking particularly threatening for the Stags, and he almost made his mark when a well-hit strike just missed the target.

The Glovers looked much the more purposeful of the two sides in the early stages of the second period, and Ben Whitfield came mighty close for the Huish Park strugglers when he crashed a shot over the top from well inside the box.

However, back came Evans’ in-form outfit and Byrom threatened again when he let fly unsuccessfully from 20 yards.

Krystian Pearce was another who was working tirelessly to somehow craft an opening, but as the final 20 minutes approached a goalless outcome was looking more and more likely.

There was a scare for the Stags in the 71st minute when schemer Tom Eaves fired narrowly over the top for Yeovil.

YEOVIL: Krysiak, Shephard, Dolan, Mugabi, Lacey, Dawson, Lawless, Dickson, Zoko, Whitfield (Goodship 81), Harrison (Eaves 61). Subs: Maddison, James, Butcher, Akpa Akpro, Sowunmi.

STAGS: Shearer, White (McGuire 54), Bennett, Pearce, Benning, Collins, Whiteman, Byron, Hamilton, MacDonald (Hoban 66), Coulthirst (Potter 79). Subs: Jensen, Baxendale, Arquin, Hemmings.

REFEREE: Christopher Sarginson of Staffordshire.

ATTENDANCE: 2,766 (111 away).


ytfc.net, 28th February 2017
by Alex O'Loughlin

Yeovil Town tested play-off chasing Mansfield Town but couldn’t break the deadlock to earn a third successive home draw at Huish Park.

Visiting goalkeeper Scott Shearer handled outside the box inside the opening five minutes but only saw yellow, before Matty Dolan had a free-kick saved well.

After the break Ben Whiteman drew a good save from Artur Krysiak, but neither side could muster a late rally with the game ending goalless.


Darren Way made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 at Notts County at the weekend.

Having experimented with 3-5-2 four days ago, Town stuck with two upfront in a 4-1-3-2 formation, with Ben Whitfield replacing Matt Butcher to line-up in midfield.

Having arrived in January on loan from Tottenham, Shayon Harrison earned his first league start for Town, taking the place of fellow loanee Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro to partner Francois Zoko upfront.

Having vowed to provide entertainment for the home supporters the Glovers began brightly and could’ve taken the lead just five minutes in.

Having raced onto a poor defensive clearance Kevin Dawson attempted to lob the advanced ‘keeper Shearer, who conspired to block the ball with his hands some 10 yards outside the box.

With players and fans alike baying for a red card from referee Christopher Sarginson, the Stags number one only received a yellow despite denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Not to be deterred by the controversial decision Dolan almost converted the resultant free-kick, with Shearer parrying away the dipping effort low to his right.

The Glovers dominance continued in the opening 20 minutes as Harrison almost latched onto a Whitfield cross but for Mal Benning’s intervention at the near-post.

Perhaps rocked by the early controversy involving their goalkeeper the Nottinghamshire outfit were slow to demonstrate their form which had seen seven victories in 10 games.

In fact, it took 32 minutes for the visitors to produce a meaningful attempt on goal, when Ben Whiteman’s volley from just inside the box flew over the bar.

The wideman was proving to be the Stags best attacking outlet in the first half, stabbing an effort on the stretch into the arms of Artur Krysiak five minutes later from the angle.

In their new formation, Yeovil demonstrated plenty of attacking intent in the opening 45 minutes, albeit without testing Shearer further.

Steve Evans’ side ended the half on the attack but boos rang around Huish Park at the break as a result of the early incident involving the visiting goalkeeper.

Keen to render the referee’s controversial decision void, Town began the second period on the front foot as the lively Whitfield flashed a shot just over after cutting in from the right.

But, already the pantomime villain, Mr Sarginson did little to enhance his reputation amongst the Yeovil fans when he only brandished a yellow to Shaq Coulthirst for a late challenge on Krysiak, before Mansfield had their best chance of the game.

Coulthirst was involved to cut-back to Whiteman who had his low drive saved by the legs of Krysiak, before Bevis Mugabi produced a stunning block to deny the same man on the rebound.

As the game ticked past the hour-mark Tom Eaves was introduced in place of Harrison, as Town looked to address Mansfield’s increasing influence on proceedings.

The switch almost worked 10 minutes later when Whtifield’s cross arched in towards the striker, but Eaves’ acrobatic effort with his back to goal from 12 yards lacked the necessary direction.

With the Stags spell of pressure ended Way’s side looked to create a spell of their own as the game entered the final 10 minutes, ramping up the intensity.

Despite urgency from the home side they couldn’t threaten the visiting goal and had to settled for a third successive home draw, in a game which will be remembered for early controversy involving visiting goalkeeper Shearer.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Shephard, Lacey, Mugabi, Dickson; Dawson, Lawless, Dolan; Whitfield (Goodship 81’), Zoko, Harrison (Eaves 61’).
Bookings: Lacey 57’, Zoko 74’
Subs not used: Maddison, James, Butcher, Akpa Akpro, Sowunmi.

Mansfield Town: Shearer; White (McGuire 54’), Pearce, Bennett, Benning; Whiteman, Byrom, Collins, Hamilton; MacDonald (Hoban 65’), Coulthirst (Potter 79’).
Bookings: Shearer 5’, White 44’, Coulthirst 52’
Subs not used: Jensen, Baxendale, Arquin, Hemmings.


Ciderspace News Page : Yeovil 0 Mansfield 0 : Glovers Stay As League Two Draw Kings

Yeovil Town's ninth draw in their last 13 matches saw them draw 0-0 against Mansfield Town at Huish Park, in another game of few cutting edge chances. The Glovers' best effort on goal came just five minutes into the match when Stags keeper Scott Shearer handled a Kevin Dawson lob outside his box, somehow escaping with a yellow card, but otherwise long range attempts were the norm of the day. Mansfield had their best play during the second half, but saw excellent blocks from Artur Krysiak and Bevis Mugabi denying them, ensuring that the home side did at least pick up one point from the match, keeping them in 17th place in the table.

The Glovers went into the side making two changes to the team that had drawn against Notts County on the weekend. Both were tactical, with Shayon Harrison coming in for Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro as a striker. The more interesting change was the decision to bring in Ben Whitfield for Matt Butcher. As Butcher had played as a centre-back on the weekend, Whitfield's inclusion meant another formation change - 3-5-2 dropped, and a 4-1-3-2 in its place, with Whitfield operating on the right side, whilst Matt Dolan took the left side of midfield.

What would turn out to be the most significant incident of the entire match happened just five minutes into play. Tottenham Hotspur loanee Shayon Harrison flicked on a header into the path of Kevin Dawson, and when visiting keeper Scott Shearer came out of his box, Dawson lobbed him, with the keeper clearly using his hands outside his area. After a lengthy delay, referee Chris Sarginson decided the offence was only worthy of a yellow card, despite much of the home support believing that it deserved more than that. The big question for Mr Sarginson to answer was whether he believed Dawson's attempt to be heading towards goal - if it was then he needed to be raising a different coloured card.

Matt Dolan's free kick from the set play was saved by Shearer, in what would turn out to be the club's only on target attempt on the night. In terms of open play, the Glovers started quite well, with a Bevis Mugabi attempt going wide, whilst an Alex Lawless shot deflected off a Mansfield defender, leaving Shearer scrambling to avoid the ball going out for a corner.

It took around 25 minutes before the play-off chasing visitors began to find the sort of form that has seen them rising up the table. Chris Hamilton shot well over the bar, before a Ben Whiteman effort was much closer. Hamilton later tried to lob a ball over goalkeeper Artur Krysiak but it landed on the roof of the net. The sense was that the closer you got to half time, the more the Stags had got a foothold in the game.

That theme continued after the break, even if it commenced with Ben Whitfield firing over the crossbar on his 21st birthday, after good interplay with Matt Dolan. At the other end, Mansfield's Ben Whiteman was denied twice within the space of seconds, as Artur Krysiak blocked his shot with his legs. The loose ball span back to the same Stags player, who returned the shot, only to find Bevis Mugabi throwing his body in the part of the goal that Krysiak couldn't cover.

Yeovil's attacking play was beginning to fizzle out, and Shayon Harrison was replaced by Tom Eaves, and the visitors looked the most likely to snatch the points. Krysiak had to produce a strong parried save from Krystian Pearce inside a crowded goalmouth. However, his defence were a tad fortunate when a Joel Byrom free kick found substitute Pat Hoban in clear space, but the striker seemed to mistime his jump, with the ball instead coming off the player's shoulder and wide.

As the game ended, Tom Eaves had a couple of attempts go wide of the goal frame - once when he was set up by Ben Whitfield but put over the bar, and another where he dragged his shot well wide. In the closing minutes, Brandon Goodship was introduced as a late substitute in another formation change - as the most advanced midfielder in a diamond formation, but he never really got a chance to get into the game. Despite plenty of late Mansfield intent, Yeovil managed to hold out for another 0-0 draw, and another week spent in 17th place. Most concerning though will be that they've now gone 282 minutes without scoring, and in the last two matches they've managed only two shots on target. The strikers aren't entirely at fault for that, given they are often feeding on scraps, but it's easy to see why Yeovil are the division's lowest goalscorers at present.



Latest | March 2017