{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2017

23rd February 2017 22:04

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Grimsby Town 3 - 0 Mansfield Town
Clements 40, Dyson 61, pen 73. White sent off 73
Attendance: 5550 (1246 from Mansfield)

Date: 18 February 2017

Martin Shaw at Blundell Park

Mansfield Town were beaten in the league for the first time in 2017, going down 3-0 at Grimsby in an afternoon to forget. In front of a fantastic away following of over 1200, the Stags didn’t deserve anything from the game as Grimsby produced what was, according to their experienced centre half Shaun Pearson, their best home performance of the season. Grimsby were not outstanding by any means in my opinion but were the better side. The first half was very even but Grimsby led at the break with Chris Clements bundling home from close range after his initial shot was well wide and then headed back across goal to him on 40 minutes. Not enough quality from Mansfield going forward in that first half and the best chances were a couple of Matt Green headers straight at the keeper. In the second half, Shaq Coulthirst came close to equalising on 55 minutes when his header from Hayden White’s fine cross was saved on the line by the keeper. Then Matt Green missed a chance when he miscued a shot inside the area. But Grimsby doubled their lead on 61 minutes and it was a brilliant goal from Calum Dyson, on loan from Everton and with his first senior goal, as he pushed forward down the right, cut inside Rhys Bennett who slipped over, along the edge of the area and fired a great left-footed shot into the bottom left corner. A superb individual goal, though Bennett should have done better. Steve Evans was sent to the stand on 70 minutes. He came and sat a few seats to the left of the press box and was getting verbally abused by the home fans around him. Then Mansfield conceded a penalty as Mal Benning tripped Tom Bolarinwa in the area, a clear penalty, and unnecessary from Benning. From looking at the video, Hayden White said something to the referee before the penalty was taken and he was shown a second yellow card and a red card. None of the Mansfield media saw the red card as our attention was diverted to Steve Evans over our left shoulder as he was left totally exposed in amongst the home fans and Michael Merriman appeared from the touchline to be with him. There were no stewards anywhere to be seen. Dyson converted the penalty. Seconds later with Evans and Merriman surrounded by home fans and home fans trying to get at Evans, they disappeared down the stairway with some fans going after him. Evans said afterwards he went to the dressing room. So a 3-0 defeat for the Stags. Not enough quality going forward from Mansfield. The brilliant goal from Dyson, when Bennett could have done better, and Benning’s concession of the penalty, killed the Stags off. Mansfield remain in 7th place and in the play-off places, though could be overtaken by either Colchester or Wycombe who play each other on Tuesday. The gap to 3rd place is 9 points with 14 games to go and 3rd place looks unattainable. The Stags have had a great 2017 but need to bounce back against Newport next Saturday after poor performances against Accrington and Grimsby.



MATCH REPORT: Stags’ run ended after day to forget at Grimsby
chad.co.uk, by SPORTS REPORTER (Agency), Saturday 18 February 2017

Mansfield Town’s play-off push was dealt a blow as they fell to their first League Two defeat of 2017 in today’s 3-0 defeat at Grimsby Town.

The 10-man Stags saw their remarkable run of nine League games without defeat ended at Blundell Park.

The visitors finished the game with one less player on the field and one less man in the dugout after a fiery second period. Manager Steve Evans was sent to the stands, before Hayden White was shown red in the aftermath of the penalty. Former Stag Chris Clements, who only left the club in January, came back to haunt his old employers before Callum Dyson’s second-half brace put the game to bed after the break. Evans named two changes to the line-up that grabbed a dramatic 89th-minute 4-4 draw against Accrington Stanley last time out. Mansfield Town's Ben Whiteman makes the pass - Photo by Chris Holloway Alfie Potter and Matt Green returned as both Joel Byrom and Danny Rose had to make do with a place on the bench. A quiet first half sprung into life in the final 10 minutes. Goalkeeper Jake Kean was forced into a stunning stop to deny Jamie Osbourne after he saw the ball late through a sea of bodies.

After fighting off a barrage of Mariners attacks, the visitors were finally beaten in minute 40 as Clements stabbed home during a scramble in the box.

The Stags’ best chance fell to Shaquile Coulthirst, whose header was superbly kept out by James McKeown, after the interval.

Just after the hour Dyson netted his first goal of the season as he cut inside from the right and caressed the ball into the bottom corner.

Evans was sent to the stands for remonstrating with the fourth official before Mal Benning gave away a spot kick for hauling down Tom Bolarinwa, with Everton loanee Dyson slotted home from 12 yards.

After the penalty, White followed his manager as he was given his marching orders after a second booking.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-stags-run-ended-after-day-to-forget-at-grimsby-1-8397461


twitter Charlie Slater @CharlieSlater15
Couldn't believe how exposed Evans was when he was sent to stand. No protection from stewards, saw fans trying to get physical with him.


Grimsby Town 3 Mansfield Town 0 - Mariners back to winning ways as Steve Evans sent to stands
By Matt Dannatt, grimsbytelegraph

GRIMSBY Town got back to winning ways in emphatic style with a 3-0 win over Mansfield - whose boss - Steve Evans was sent to the stand as his side finished with ten men.

Chris Clements opened the scoring for Town just before half-time with Dyson adding a second-half brace. His first - a sublime solo goal - with his second coming from the penalty spot.

The visiting boss was sent to the stand by referee Seb Stockbridge, who also went on to send off Hayden White for a second-bookable offence after he conceded the penalty.

After the midweek draw at Newport, Bignot made two changes with Clements returning to face his old club alongside Jamey Osborne as Craig Disley and Akwasi Asante made way.

That meant a striking berth for Sam Jones - alongside Dyson - as Town hunted their first goal in over 270 minutes of football.

After Clements and Matt Green had both fired in their teams' first shot on target, Jones cracked into the sidenetting after cutting in from the left.

Dyson's industry won a corner that sparked a touchline scramble, with Andrew firing wide from the resulting clearance. The defender was to the rescue at the other end to thump clear from Alex McDonald's pull-back across the face of goal.

Bolarinwa skipped past his man and pulled back for Dyson, but the on-loan Everton man scooped well over from the edge of the area.

After Osborne's initial effort was blocked in the box - leading to faint appeals for handball - his follow-up drew a sharp, low save from Jake Kean.

Town broke the deadlock just before half-time and although it was a sloppy one - Clements wouldn't have cared a jot - as he grabbed his second Mariners goal - against his former employers.

A free-kick sparked a scramble in the box, Jones' shot found Bolarinwa with a diving header that flew wide of goal and the former Stag was there to poke home - despite the best efforts of Kean to take a 1-0 lead into the break.

Town could have added to their lead seven minutes into the restart when Clements set Jones one-on-one and the Town man won the leg race to poke past the outrushing Kean. However, Mansfield were fortunate that Rhys Bennett had tracked back to get a touch on his goal-bound effort.

Up at the other end, Shauille Coulthirst drew a full-stretch diving save from McKeown as the game began to open up. But on the hour mark, Town took a stranglehold of a game that looked like it still could have gone either way, when Dyson produced a piece of solo Premier League magic.

Bolarinwa's bravery in the tackle saw him come away with the ball and feed the young Toffee on the right-flank. Dyson skipped past his marker and into the box, where he shimmied past another would-be tackler before shaping the ball sumptuously into the bottom corner - past the dive of Kean.

Evans' frustrations had been steadily growing after Town's second and - with 20 minutes to go - the fiery Scot was sent to the stands by ref Stockbridge after having one too many things to say to the fourth official.

He took his seat into the directors' box - just in time to see Bolarinwna brought down in the box.

In the aftermath, White was shown his second yellow for dissent and sent off, with Dyson coolly converting from the spot to put Town 3-0 up and wrap up a comfortable - and welcome - victory.


Clements 39, Dyson 61, 73 pen







YELLOWS: 1 Gunning 70 (foul)

REDS: None






YELLOWS: 3 White 11, Whiteman 39, 72 (fouls)

REDS: 1 White 71 (second booking)

Read more at http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/grimsby-town-3-mansfield-town-0-mariners-back-to-winning-ways-as-steve-evans-sent-to-stands/story-30146058-detail/story.html#spFryYIaQAwlOFec.99


Trouble flares as Grimsby Town and Mansfield Town fans clash in 'ugly' scenes
By Mark Naylor, February 18, 2017

A LARGE-SCALE disturbance broke out in the streets around the Grimsby Town football ground today - with reports of fighting between rival fans.

The reports of trouble and riot vans being called in came after Grimsby Town beat Mansfield Town 3-0.

A witness claimed that the trouble started after the Mariners went three goals up.

It was centred around the Tiverton Street and Lovett Street areas, claimed the witness.

The police were later pushing the fans towards Cleethorpes, he added.

"It looks like there have been arrests and there were people in handcuffs," claimed the witness.

Read more at http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/violence-erupts-as-grimsby-town-and-mansfield-town-fans-clash-in-ugly-scenes/story-30146136-detail/story.html#p8ybLjoCUZDw6Kcq.99

"Traffic was snarled up and at a standstill. It was just crazy."

Humberside Police said in a tweet that there was an ongoing "disturbance between Grimsby and Mansfield fans".

It added that police were on the scene and that people were advised to avoid the Blundell Park area.

Another witness said: "There was some trouble outside the ground. There was loads of trouble there."

More news: Long sentences for drug dealers caught with £77k worth of cocaine

A third witness, who was inside the ground, claimed that Mansfield fans were "goading" the Grimsby fans during the game and that it became worse after the third Mariners goal.

"A big group of Mansfield fans got towards the fence separating them from Town fans in the Lower Findus.

"It got a bit ugly."


Police have their say on clash between Grimsby Town and Mansfield Town fans
By Jack Longstaff, February 20, 2017, grimsbytelegraph.co.uk

Police are reviewing CCTV after "disgusting" scenes erupted when Grimsby Town and Mansfield fans clashed on Saturday after Saturday's 3-0 home win at Blundell Park.

A large-scale disturbance broke out in the streets close to the Mariners' home ground shortly after the full time whistle.

Humberside Police responded to reports of fighting between fans as hordes of people left the ground.

A witness claimed that the trouble started after the Mariners went three goals up.

The disorder was centred around the Tiverton Street and Lovett Street area, claimed the witness. Police were later seen escorting fans towards Cleethorpes.

Police have not made any arrests after the trouble between fans and the away supporters were escorted to the train station without incident.

Although the clashes did not boil over into violence, officers said they will work alongside Grimsby Town to ensure "this doesn't happen again".

More news: Readers blast 'disgusting' behaviour as Grimsby Town and Mansfield fans clash

Chief Inspector James Glansfield, Humberside Police's match commander, said: "Following a disturbance at the ground, there have been no arrests and no reports of damage. Despite a clash between supporters they were escorted to the train station without incident.

"We are reviewing the post-match events and checking CCTV and local reports. We will be working with the club to identify any lessons learned to ensure this doesn't happen again."

Read more at http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/police-have-their-say-on-clash-between-grimsby-town-and-mansfield-town-fans/story-30149580-detail/story.html#aj4vqR1Ib71d5VvL.99



Latest | February 2017