{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2017

18th February 2017 10:21

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 4 - 4 Accrington Stanley
Bennett 31, White 45+2, Coulthirst pen 64, Arquin 89. Beckles 5, McCartan 29, Kee 44, pen 66.
Attendance: 3226 (58 from Accrington)

Date: 14 February 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town rescued a point in a crazy game with Accrington Stanley thanks to a stunning goal from substitute Yoann Arquin after 89 minutes. It was a point the Stags didn’t deserve but reflected the tremendous spirit in the squad, and has to be seen as a good point gained in the circumstances. Mansfield’s performance was mostly atrocious, a far cry from the tremendous performances that had seen them get better and better in a run of 6 wins and a draw in 7 games with just 1 goal conceded, coming into this game. Accrington on the other hand belied their lowly status in the table, and they were the lowest scorers in League Two before this game. Yet they were exceptional going forward, taking the game to Mansfield from the first minute to the last, with former Stags striker Billy Kee impressing hugely along with midfielders Jordan Clark, Shay McCartan and Sean McConville. This quartet were excellent and the Stags defence and midfield couldn’t cope with the way they took the game to Mansfield throughout. Accrington’s time wasting tactics and play-acting were tiresome though and didn’t sit well with their excellent football.

Accrington were ahead after just 5 minutes. McConville’s free kick from the right was not cleared and fell to centre half Omar Beckles unmarked who fired in from 7 yards. They deservedly doubled their lead on 29 minutes. Matty Pearson played a high ball into the area, Krystian Pearce headed partially away but a bad touch from Lee Collins presented the ball to McCartan who turned and fired in from 10 yards. The Stags pulled a goal back just 2 minutes later. A good corner from Joel Byrom to the far post where Pearce headed back across goal and Rhys Bennett bundled the ball over line from close range. It just crossed the line. But Accrington regained their two goal advantage on 44 minutes. Jordan Clark’s ball forward bounced awkwardly for Bennett but he was too easily barged off the ball by Billy Kee who took full advantage and fired a wonderful shot over Jake Kean and into the top left corner of the net from 20 yards. No foul by Kee just good upper body strength. Kee showed good respect for his former club with a muted celebration. Once again the Stags pulled a goal back quickly. On 45+2 minutes, another good delivery from Byrom, this time from a free kick from 30 yards out on the right, floated into the box, Hayden White lost his marker and headed in from 7 yards. Two minutes later, the Stags were nearly level when following another Byrom free kick, Alex MacDonald fired in a magnificent shot from 20 yards that brought an astonishing save from Marek Rodak in the Accrington goal. 3-2 to Accrington at the break and an incredible half of football. Accrington had been brilliant yet the Stags were only denied being on level terms by a wonderful save.

Accrington remained the better side early in the second half. But Mansfield were level on 64 minutes. Mal Benning lumped an up-and-under into the box, and as Pearce challenged for the loose ball he was trip by Pearson. Definite penalty albeit a soft one and no complaints from Pearson. Shaq Coulthirst kept his cool to send Rodak the wrong way from the spot. But this time it was Accrington who scored soon after the restart. On 66 minutes, Kee went down easily as White jumped into him just inside the box. Stupid challenge from White and even Steve Evans agreed it was a penalty. Kee sent Kean the wrong way from the spot. On 73 minutes Mansfield were unlucky as Coulthirst squared across the box and sub CJ Hamilton fired against the post. The Stags rescued a point on 89 minutes. Pearce lobbed the ball forward, White headed it on and Yoann Arquin fired in a great shot from 25 yards into the right corner of the net.

Great spirit from Mansfield to rescue the point. The Stags were atrocious at the back, Kean had a poor game, the entire defence was awful, and the midfield poor in front of them. But this could be a big point come the end of the season. Mention must go to the Mansfield support creating another superb atmosphere and sticking with the team throughout despite the poor performance and dragging the team through to a point. The Stags go to Grimsby for a big game on Saturday and will have to play so much better than this, particularly at the back, to get anything from that game.



MATCH REPORT: Arquin rescues Stags in crazy eight-goal thriller against bogey side
CHAD.CO.UK, BY John Lomas, Tuesday 14 February 2017

Yoann Arquin rescued Mansfield Town an unlikely point in a crazy 4-4 thriller against bogey side Accrington Stanley at the One Call Stadium tonight. The sub bagged a 90th minute leveller just as Stags fans looked set for heartbreak at Valentine’s Night to spark wild scenes.

Twice the struggling visitors opened out two-goal leads, but Mansfield, despite never hitting their recent heights and showing some uncharacteristic poor defending, also displayed a never-say-die attitude in a thriller.

Stags’ other scorers were Rhys Bennett, Hayden White and a Shaq Coulthirst penalty.

There was little love lost on Valentine’s Night with 10 bookings, six for Stanley, whose spoiling tactics won them few friends but who looked menacing every time they went forward. Alex MacDonald was given a full debut.

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-arquin-rescues-stags-in-crazy-eight-goal-thriller-against-bogey-side-1-8390099

The winger, who signed in last month’s transfer window, made a big impact in Saturday’s 4-0 win over Hartlepool United, scoring one and making one after coming on as a substitute. His inclusion in place of Alfie Potter was the only change as Stags aimed for a ninth League game unbeaten.

They had failed to beat struggling Stanley in their last 11 meetings with the last victory way back in 1961 before the club was reborn into its current guise.

Young midfielder Lewis Collins was added to the bench with James Baxendale missing out with illness.

The first threat came from the home side on four minutes as White sent the ball long from right back and Coulthirst controlled and made space before shooting low straight to keeper Rodak.

However, it was bogey side Stanley who snatched a shock lead after just five minutes.

McConville sent in a free kick from wide right and when no one was able to clear, the ball sat invitingly for Beckles to ram home from eight yards. The referee had to calm tempers down soon after when McCartan appeared to go down in the box looking for a penalty.

On 12 minutes Whiteman met a far post free kick from the left by Byrom with a firm header that Rodak took above his head.

Stanley soon began to waste time when they could and on 18 minutes McCartan was booked for lobbing the ball goalwards after being caught offside.

Accrington wasted a great chance to double their advantage on 20 minutes.

McConville sent in a corner from the left, Kean failed to intercept and the ball was hooked over an inviting goal from six yards by Pearson.

MacDonald was booked on 27 minutes for bringing down McConville, McCartan wide of the far post with the free kick. But Accrington were 2-0 up on 29 minutes.

Collins allowed the ball to bounce in the box and McCartan showed good composure to turn and slot home a low finish inside the right post.

Mansfield’s reply was almost immediate as a Byrom corner from the right was headed goalwards by Pearce at the far post.

It seemed to be blocked on the line, Bennett then apparently helping it over before it was cleared again with the referee deciding it had already crossed.

Byrom was added to the book for a late challenge on Conneely on 41 minutes.

At this stage Stags looked back in the contest but they were shaken by a spectacular goal by former Mansfield striker Kee a minute from the break.

There seemed little danger as ball down the right sailed towards Kee.

But he used his physique to shrug off Bennett 20 yards out and then turned to send a magnificent dipping shot over Kean and under the far angle with the keeper clawing at thin air.

The thrills continued as Mansfield pulled another back in stoppage time.

Byrom put in a superb free kick from the right and White was there at the far post to head over.

Even deeper into stoppage time a half-cleared Byron free kick reached MacDonald 20 yards out and the keeper pulled off a superb save to turn his shot round the post.

The battling Stags left the field to a tremendous ovation from their fans, despite the scoreline.

However, within five minutes of the restart the visitors should have netted again.

Beckles headed a corner goalwards, Kean let it go thinking it was wide and it came back off the post, Pearson heading the rebound over.

Bennett was booked for a foul on 51 minutes, then on 61 minutes Beckles was added for a bodycheck on Rose.

Mansfield were finally back level on 64 minutes from the spot.

Conneelly stretched into a tackle on Pearce and caught him, the referee pointing to the spot and Coulthirst stepping up to coolly send the keeper the wrong way.

Incredibly, within two minutes Stanley were ahead again from a penalty of their own.

Pearce’s block on Kee gave the kick away and Kee sent Kean the wrong way.

McCartan was inched over with a dipping 20 yard shot as this amazing game ebbed and flowed.

Matt Green was sent on for MacDonald on 71 minutes and two minutes later Hamilton sidefooted against the post from Coulthirst’s low cross.

On 78 minutes McConville’s free kick down the centre was pushed onto a post by Kean as Stanley went so close again.

As Arquin was sent on for Rose for the final push, Kee, now sporting a bandage from a cut head, became the night’s 9th booking for time-wasting.

Collins, soon after a warning, was deemed to have fouled McConville and out came card No.10. With Kean out of position near the end, Boco slotted wide of an empty net.

But Stags fans were sent wild in the final minute of the 90 as White helped a long ball on and sub Arquin dipped a 25 yard half-volley over the keeper into into the net.

There were seven added nervy minutes in the end but the score was a fair one in the end.

STAGS: Kean; White, Bennett, Pearce, Benning; Lee Collins; Whiteman, Byrom (Hamilton HT), MacDonald (Green 71); Coulthirst, Rose (Arquin 79mins). Subs not used: Shearer, Potter, McGuire, Lewis Collins.

ACCRINGTON: Rodak, Pearson, Hughes, Beckles, Clark, Brown, McCartan (Boco 72), McConville (Clare 90+5), Conneely, Kee (Edwards 82), Donacien. Subs not used: Chapman, Davies, Husin, Rodgers.

REFEREE: Mark Heywood of West Yorkshire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,226 (58 away).



Mansfield Town 4 Accrington Stanley 4
lancashiretelegraph.co.uk, by Alex James, Sports Editor

ACCRINGTON Stanley preserved an 11 year unbeaten record against Mansfield Town with a thrill a minute 4-4 draw at the One Call Stadium.

The previously goal shy Reds were never behind in the game but were forced to settle for a point against the promotion chasing Stags.


John Coleman’s side made an immediate impression with a goal after just five minutes.

Sean McConville provided the ammunition, swinging in a free kick from the right which the home defence was unable to deal with and Omar Beckles had time to set himself and stab in his second goal of the season with his left foot from 10 yards.

The home crowd were immediately disgruntled, with former Red Joel Byrom crossing for Ben Whiteman to head into the arms of Marek Rodak as they looked to level.

Instead Stanley should have doubled their lead, with a McConville corner bamboozling Jake Kean and dropping to Matty Pearson only for the right back to guide it over the bar from six yards.

The second goal did come though, with the Stags defence again failing to deal with a ball into the box. This time it was allowed to bounce and Shay McCartan reacted quickest to arrow the ball into the bottom right corner and make it 2-0.

This time though the response was immediate. Mansfield won a corner which was delivered from the right and amid a skirmish in the box defender Rhys Bennett was credited with getting the touch that took the ball over the line despite Rodak coming away with the ball.

It was muck and nettles stuff thereafter, with tackles flying in and ref Mark Heywood showing a string of yellow cards. Billy Kee then brought a moment of quality out of keeping with all the srambling; he outmuscled Bennett and hooked the ball on the volley beyond Kean into the left side of the net from the edge of the box.

But once again a two goal deficit would be shortlived after Hayden White rose highest to head home and make it 3-2 in first half stoppage time. And there was still time in a frenetic first half for Rodak to save superbly from Alex MacDonald, turning his 20 yard drive round the post.

Things didn’t calm down after the break, with a looping header from Pearson clattering back off the bar. Kee then met a Pearson cross at the near post only for a defender to deflect it behind.

The equaliser came from the penalty spot after Seamus Conneely fouled Krystian Pearce. Shaq Coulthirst stepped up and send Rodak the wrong way to make it 3-3.

Anything Mansfield could do Stanley could do too though, and when Kee was bundled over in the Stags box Mr Heywood signalled for a Stanley spot kick. Kee made no mistake, dispatching his 11th of the season to make it 4-3 to the Reds.

Once again there was scarcely time to breath as Mansfield sub CJ Hamilton hit the post as they looked to hit back once more - before Kee did likewise at the other end.

But it was the hosts who struck next with sub Yoann Arquin lifting a spectacular strike over Rodak from outside the box in the 89th minute. Surprisingly seven minutes of stoppage time couldn’t prompt a winner with both breathless sides having to settle for a point.

n Stanley: Rodak, Pearson, Beckles, Hughes, Donacien, Clark, Conneely, Brown, McConville, McCartan, Kee.



Latest | February 2017