{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2003

8th February 2003 21:35

The Stags followed last months win over Chesterfield with another derby win, this time over Notts County. After a tight first half the Stags scored three times within the opening 25 minutes of the 2nd half, White, Mitchell and a beauty from Corden scoring the goals. Two late Stallard goals gave the Stags fans a nervy ending but the Stags held on to claim 3 vital points and move up to 17th in Division 2. For a full report see Match Centre.
Mansfield Town 3 Notts County 2
White 52, Mitchell 65, Corden 71.
Stallard 79, 87

Attendance 8134 (app 2400 from Notts County)

Disley (for Lawrence)
Curle (for Gadsby)
Mitchell (for AWhite)
Subs not used: JWhite, Hassell

Match Statistics (Stags/Notts)
17 Goal Attempts 7
10 On target 3
7 Off target 4
0 Woodwork 0
8 Corners 3
11 Fouls 15
6 Offside 6

Stags bookings: White (45), Curtis (53).

Referee R.Pearson, Co Durham

Report from footymad.net
Mansfield Town hung on for their first win over neighbours Notts County for 40 years in this relegation six-pointer.
The Stags looked to have secured their first win of 2003 with three goals in 19 minutes, but then two goals from Mark Stallard set up a tense finale as County almost staged their second remarkable fightback in five days.
In the 80th minute Stallard hammered in a flick-on from substitute Paul Heffernan and then three minutes from time shrugged off Rhys Day's challenge to score.
However, after five minutes of injury time, the Stags hung on for only their second win in eight games.
Under-fire striker Andy White tucked in Wayne Corden's 52nd minute cross to break the deadlock and then substitute Craig Mitchell, a 17-year-old youth team player, hammered his first goal for the club into the roof of the net from 18 yards.
In the 71st minute Corden looked to have wrapped up victory with a sensational 25-yard dipping drive into the top corner, his ninth goal of the season.
New signing Junior Mendes twice went close to his first goal for the club, but when Mitchell just missed a fourth goal for the home side County launched their comeback.
Earlier the visitors had lost star striker Danny Allsopp through injury after just eight minutes, but went on to match the home side in a scrappy first half. In the 21st minute County carved out the first chance, Stallard heading straight at the keeper from six yards.
Ten minutes later Mansfield finally created their first opening, White's curling shot palmed away by the diving Steve Mildenhall.
Mansfield were then twice denied in a minute by goal line clearances as Ian Baraclough nodded White's header off the line and then Nicky Fenton scrambled away Matt Gadsby's follow-up.
At the other end County continued to look dangerous on the break away and in first half injury time Heffernan fired across the face of goal.
Five minutes into the second half Ian Richardson's looping header sent Stallard clear of the defence, but with just the keeper to beat he rolled his six-yard shot wide and that miss proved to be the turning point.
Report from PA:
Mark Stallard hit two goals in the last eight minutes but was unable to stop Mansfield claiming a 3-2 victory against Notts County.
A disappointing game exploded into life when Mansfield winger Wayne Corden's low cross allowed Andy White to break the deadlock after 52 minutes.
Mansfield doubled their lead 13 minutes later through substitute Craig Mitchell, who ran on to Lee Williamson's perfect pass and smashed the ball into the top corner.
And when Corden made it 3-0, the game seemed to be over with County struggling to offer anything up front.
However, Stallard dragged Billy Dearden's side back into the match by firing home Paul Heffernan's knock-down on 79 minutes, before setting up a tense finish with another goal at the death after shrugging off a challenge.


Latest | February 2003