{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2017

13th January 2017 14:46

English Football League Trophy - Checkatrade Trophy - Round Three
Mansfield Town 2 - 0 Oldham Athletic
Hoban 84, 90+2
Attendance: 1343 (149 from Oldham)

Date: 10 January 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town are through to the quarter-finals of the Checkatrade Trophy after a 2-0 win over League One Oldham Athletic on Tuesday evening. After a fairly forgettable opening 84 minutes, the Stags won the game with two similar goals from striker Pat Hoban in the final few minutes. On 84 minutes, Hoban started the move that led to the first goal, as he knocked a ball down the left for CJ Hamilton, Hamilton beat his man and lifted a cross to the far post where James Baxendale controlled the ball, and dinked a little ball up into the middle for Hoban to head home from 3 yards. And Baxendale and Hoban combined again for the second goal two minutes into stoppage time. Baxendale took a free kick from the right with great quality which Hoban attacked to head home. Earlier the first half had been lacking in much goalmouth action, with Chris Clements going closest for the Stags, as he sent a left footed volley from 20 yards just wide of the left post after Hoban played a fine 1-2 with him. While at the other end, Mal Benning made a great goalline clearance from Osei’s shot from just 5 yards out. In the second half, Hoban flicked a left footed volley just wide of the right post after Benning crossed from the left. Then Baxendale should have done better when he fired over from 20 yards after Hoban knocked back to him. Oldham had two good chances to take the lead as Edmundson headed over from a corner which was misjudged by Jake Kean, and Clarke headed wide from a Banks corner. On the stroke of 90 minutes, with Mansfield leading 1-0, Oldham nearly equalised when Edmondson fired wide from 12 yards. But Mansfield deserved the win overall in my opinion, thanks to the two pieces of quality for the goals. Some good performances in the Mansfield side. Pat Hoban was my man of the match for his two goals, going very close with another chance, and setting up chances for both Clements and Baxendale. Baxendale showed two pieces of quality in setting up the goals, though didn’t show too much quality throughout the rest of the game. The defence played well, and Lee Collins had a very fine game in front of the back four including a few great tackles. The down side of the evening was an injury to Kyle Howkins. Steve Evans hoped it wouldn’t be too serious but said we will know more in the coming days.

Mansfield pick up £40,000 in prize money for this victory, not to be sniffed at, to add to £40,000 for the earlier wins in the competition. The draw for the quarter-finals is on Thursday morning at 11.30am live on Sky Sports News. It is a free draw, so Mansfield could play any other side that is also through, home or away. Mansfield are just two games from Wembley.



MATCH REPORT: Late Hoban brace sends Stags into the Checkatrade quarter-finals
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 10 January 2017

Two late Pat Hoban goals sent Mansfield Town storming into the quarter-finals of the Checkatrade Trophy as he sealed a 2-0 round three home win over League One bottom side Oldham Athletic tonight.

A tight tie looked to be heading for the tension of a penalty shoot-out until Hoban rose to head home a James Baxendale cross on 84 minutes.

A Baxendale free kick then saw Hoban bury another superb header two minutes into added time to seal the win and put Stags two games from a Wembley final.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-late-hoban-brace-sends-stags-into-the-checkatrade-quarter-finals-1-8327521

It was a fifth game without a win or a goal for the dejected Latics who had earlier wasted chances to win it, Mal Benning producing a crucial goal line clearance in the first half to deny Darius Osei from only four yards.

But Stags were always a match for their more illustrious rivals and thoroughly deserved the win.

Now they will await the quarter-final draw on Thursday morning.

Mansfield’s line-up showed three changes, Baxendale, Chris Clements andHoban replacing Joel Byrom, Ben Whiteman and Matt Green from the side that turned over Crewe 3-0 on Saturday. New arrivals Byrom and Whiteman are both cup-tied for this tournament while Green began the night on the bench.

Visiting League One strugglers Oldham also made three changes to their starting line-up. The Latics have lost three of their last four games - not scoring in any of them - with their last win coming in the second round of this competition.

Stags had an early scare as a low Paul Green shot took a deflection, but an offside flag went up anyway before anyone could reach the loose ball.

On 13 minutes Bennett got up to nod a Benning cross at goal but straight to the keeper.

Hamilton had already hacked down Hamilton before he was hauled down by Edmundson on 14 minutes for a well-deserved booking.

A good run by Hoban saw him reach a Benning ball forward down the left and tee up Hamilton to come in off the left wing onto his right foot, but his shot was poor and straight at the keeper.

Neither keeper had a real save to make until the 21st minute when Croft’s through ball saw Stags’ offside appeals turned down and McLaughlin race into the pass down the left, only to see Kean get down and block the finish with his hand. Soon after home fans were furious as another call for offside was again ignored and this time the ball was half-cleared to Wilson, who sent a rising shot well over from 20 yards.

On 25 minutes Hoban set up Clements for a low shot that wasn’t too far wide from the edge of the box.

The game remained tight with the visitors playing some nice football, though failing to trouble Kean,

But Oldham should have been ahead three minutes from the break. A long cross from the left was nodded down by Flynn at the far post and Osei, four yards from goal in the middle, looked a certain scorer only to see Mal Benning produce a fantastic block almost on the goal line.

Soon after Benning was booked for kicking the ball away after a whistle.

In added time Kean then had to get his leg in the way of a rasping Wilson piledriver from 25 yards that took an awkward bounce en route.

A quiet start to the second half saw two Stags corners cleared and, on 57 minutes Clements was booked for a revenge trip after feeling he had been fouled.

Two minutes later Wilson was booked for dissent as referee Drysdale tried to sort out pushing at an Oldham corner.

On 61 minutes Oldham made a double change with McKay and Banks on for Croft and Flynn.

But a minute later the home side almost broke the deadlock and Benning crossed from the left and Hoban guided a finish wide off his instep from eight yards.

Howkins had stayed down after an important tackle on the marauding Fane. He tried to carry on but looked uncomfortable and, with the big derby ahead on Saturday, it was decided to take him off on 70 minutes with Mitch Rose coming on to play right back and Bennett moving into the middle.

Clements sent a curling shot at Ripley and Baxendale fired well over, both efforts from outside the box as we reached the 75 minutes mark with the sides deadlocked.

On 77 minutes Edmundson should have done better as he headed over from Oldham’s sixth corner of the contest.

Three minutes later Clarke headed wide at the far post from another flag kick for the visitors.

Law became the night’s fifth booking on 80 minutes for kicking the ball away. With seven minutes to go, Thomas and Green were thrown on for Clements and Arquin.

A minute later the deadlock was finally broken. Hamilton crossed to the far post wher Baxendale controlled the ball and sent it high back across goal where a delighted Hoban was able to steer a close range header past a helpless Ripley.

In the final minute an Oldham free kick wasn’t cleared and Winchester hooked a decent chance wide and with it went Oldham’s hopes.

Five minutes were added and Hoban made sure of Mansfield’s passage two minutes into it as he rose from 10 yards to power home his header from Baxendale’s free kick from the right.

STAGS: Kean, Bennett, Benning, Collins, Pearce, Clements (Thomas 83), Hoban, Baxendale, Howkins (M. Rose 70), Arquin (M. Green 83), Hamilton. Subs not used: Shearer, Hurst, Hemmings, McGuire.

OLDHAM: Ripley, Law, Wilson, Flynn (Banks 61), Croft (McKay 61), Edmundson, Osei, Fane, Clarke, McLaughlin, P. Green (Winchester 70). Subs not used: Kettings, Dummigan, King, Glackin.

REFEREE: Darren Drysdale of Lincolnshire.

ATTENDANCE: 1,343 (149 away).



MATCH REPORT: Latics Exit Checkatrade Trophy

Oldham Athletic were knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy at the third round stage following a 2-0 defeat against Mansfield Town.

Pat Hoban headed two goals in the final 10 minutes of the game as Mansfield Town advanced to the quarter final stage.

Manager Stephen Robinson made three changes to his side as he handed George Edmundson his first start since the end of August.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/match-report-3512457.aspx#zMwBB1O1JwByESKu.99

And it would be Latics who had the first opportunity of the game in the opening minute of the game.

Lee Croft found Ryan McLaughlin in the middle whose deft touch laid it into the path of Paul Green to strike but his shot was blocked.

The returning Edmundson would go into the referee’s notebook on 15 minutes for a barging tackle on CJ Hamilton as Mansfield shaded possession in the opening stages of the game.

However it would be Athletic who had the better chances throughout the half with the first coming midway through the half.

McLaughlin beat the offside trap and latched onto a Green through ball, he raced through on goal but former Latics loanee Jake Kean stood up tall to save well.

Latics continued to put on the pressure as Brian Wilson struck over whilst on the half hour mark Croft had a shot blocked in front of goal.

Athletic were getting joy down the left hand side with the experience of Croft and Wilson really causing problems for the Mansfield Town defence.

And Latics were left scratching their heads as to how they were not ahead at the break.

A cross into the box was headed back into the path of Darius Osei to volley from six yards but somehow Krystian Pearce managed to block his fierce effort on the line to prevent Latics going ahead.

One minute later, Wilson tried his luck from 25 yards which was goal bound but an unorthodox save from Kean further prevented Latics taking the lead before the break.

The second half started off slowly with both sides picking up a booking as Chris Clements and Wilson both entered the referee’s notebook.

Robinson made a double change on the hour mark as the injured Croft and Ryan Flynn were replaced by Ollie Banks and Billy Mckay.

Whilst Pay Hoban had a chance for Mansfield Town on 62 minutes, Ousmane Fane made a surging run through the midfield which caused a lot of danger for the Stags defence but he was stopped in his tracks on the edge of the box.

Carl Winchester entered the field of play on 70 minutes as two minutes later Clements curled an effort into the hands of goalkeeper Connor Ripley.

Latics started to put on the pressure as Mckay’s flicked shot goalwards was deflected for a corner whilst from the following set piece Edmundson nodded over from 12 yards.

Minutes later, and following another set piece, Banks’ delivery found Clarke in the centre but his header went wide of the post.

The visitors took the lead on 84 minutes as Hoban converted from close range after Ripley went out to stop a cross into the box from Baxendale.

Latics felt they should have been awarded a penalty in the 90th minute as McLaughlin beat his man and seemed to be bundled over but the referee waved away the protests.

Two minutes later and Hoban won the tie for Mansfield Town as he beat his defender in the air to head home from 12 yards and seal their passage into the next round.

Mansfield Town: Kean, Bennett, Howkins (McGuire 70’), Peace, Benning, Collins, Baxendale, Clements (Thomas 83’), Hamilton, Hoban, Arquin (Green 83’).

Subs not used: Shearer, Rose, Hurst, Hemmings.

Oldham Athletic: Ripley, Wilson, Clarke, Edmundson, Law, Croft (Mckay 61’), Fane, Green (Winchester 70’), Flynn (Banks 61’), McLaughlin, Osei.

Subs not used: Kettings, Dummigan, King, Glackin.

Goals: Mansfield Town (Hoban 84’, 90+2’) 2-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 1,343 (149 visiting supporters)



Latest | January 2017