{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2016

27th October 2016 15:25

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Luton Town 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
McGeehan 77. Green 9
Attendance: 7787 (295 from Mansfield)

Date: 22 October 2016

Martin Shaw at Kenilworth Road

Mansfield Town drew 1-1 at fourth-placed Luton Town this afternoon in a game of two halves. It was a good performance from Mansfield, who deserved the draw though Luton finished the game on top. Both teams came into the game with unbeaten records, Luton unbeaten in 6 games in all competitions, with 3 wins and 3 draws, Mansfield unbeaten in 5 games in all competitions, with 2 wins and 3 draws. Mansfield were good value for the lead at half time, having gone ahead when Matt Green headed in Rhys Bennett’s goalbound header from Kevan Hurst’s fine corner. Green’s 5th goal in his last 4 games. Luton were happy keeping possession in their own half in the first half but Scott Shearer had nothing to do. Luton started exerting pressure in the second half, pushing Mansfield further and further back in the last half an hour and should have equalised on 66 minutes when Alan Sheehan missed a sitter from 7 yards. Mansfield didn’t have many chances in the second half but a free kick from Chris Clements on 69 minutes was on target and caught by the keeper. Luton equalised on 77 minutes when Cameron McGeehan fired in a terrific shot from 25 yards into the bottom left corner giving Shearer no chance. On 83 minutes, Shearer kept Mansfield on level terms with a brilliant save pushing away a shot from Cuthbert. Then in stoppage time, Jack Marriott fired just wide of the left post with what turned out to be the last kick of the game. Mansfield defended extremely well and have become such a hard team to beat, just three defeats all season, and this was a deserved point, despite Luton exerting huge pressure in the final 25 minutes. Several good performances, indeed throughout the Mansfield team. And Hoban and Green linked well together giving encouragement to their new partnership which will surely continue in the coming matches. Now it’s important that Mansfield follow it up with better results at home, starting at home to Stevenage next Saturday. Mansfield remain just a point outside the play-offs in a very tight league.



MATCH REPORT: Luton Town 1, Mansfield Town 1
chad.co.uk, by Agency (SHANE MACDERMOTT)

Star striker Matt Green continued his scoring streak as Mansfield Town kept their unbeaten away run going at Luton Town with a fine 1-1 draw today.

The 29-year-old marksman grabbed his fifth goal in four games before the Stags were forced to settle for a point thanks to Cameron McGeehan’s second-half wonder strike.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-luton-town-1-mansfield-town-1-1-8195409

After his super-sub exploits of late, Green was drafted back into the staring line-up and it took him only nine minutes to make his mark on the game - to stretch the club’s unbeaten run on the road to six.

Two changes were the plan of action for the trip as Adam Murray’s men were looking for their first Football League victory at Kenilworth Road since 2002.

Kevan Hurst also came in for a start with both Oscar Gobern and Danny Rose dropping to the bench.

Murray was grinning like a Cheshire cat as the recalled pair combined for the goal.

Rhys Bennett won the first header from Hurst’s corner with Green heading home from close range to give the visitors the lead.

Minutes later Stags’ stopper Scott Shearer was on hand to thwart two attempts from Jack Marriott.

Some resolute defending kept Nathan Jones’ outfit at bay as they looked for an equaliser before the break.

The hosts were restricted to shots from range with Stephen O’Donnell having his effort blocked before McGeehan sent his strike flying over the bar.

With 20 minutes left Chris Clements could have put the game to bed with England U21 keeper Christian Walton scrambling well to keep out his free-kick.

After striking a couple of efforts from range off target McGeehan popped up to steal a point with 13 minutes to go, firing his 25-yard effort into the bottom corner.

Shearer made sure the Stags went back up the M1 with a point by pulling off a fine save to deny Scott Cuthbert late on.

LUTON TOWN: Walton, O’Donnell, Cuthbert, Sheehan, Potts (Vassell 68), Rea, McGeehan, Gray (Lee 80), Cook (Ruddock 68), Gilliead, Marriott. Unused subs: King, Smith, Mullins, Mackail-Smith.

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Howkins, Pearce, Benning, Hurst (Iacovitti 58), Clements, Collins, M.Rose (Hamilton 79), Hoban (Thomas 55), Green. Unused subs: Jensen, Hemmings, D.Rose, Henderson.

REFEREE: Graham Salisbury of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 7,787 (295 away).


MATCH REPORT: Smash hit earns Luton Town a draw against Mansfield
Luton On Sunday, by James Cunliffe
Luton Town 1 Mansfield Town 1

'Baby, baby, baby, oh' - what a hit from Cameron McGeehan.

The Luton midfielder's tender 21 years may explain a debatable taste in pop poser Justin Bieber but he provided the only rock 'n' roll moment to rescue a point against Mansfield.

He may have never heard of Mick Jagger but somehow his goal struck a chord with 1969 classic 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'. You see, if you try sometimes you get what you need. Luton needed inspiration. McGeehan hummed the tune.

At the moment, he is rolling stone that gathers no moss, as his 25-yarder nestled into the bottom corner to seal a share of the spoils that, up until that point, they had struggled to full convince they deserved. For the most part, this was League Two football at its most League Two-est.

Read more at http://www.luton-dunstable.co.uk/match-report-smash-hit-earns-luton-town-a-draw-against-mansfield/story-29832962-detail/story.html#qMeYCy88w6TmV2Td.99

Though he was deployed in a more unusual deeper role, his second strike in successive weeks moved the goalscorer to eight for the season and now joint top with Town hitman Danny Hylton. The striker was conspicuous by his absence as, sat on the sidelines serving a one-match suspension, and his team-mates struggled for a focal point.

But boss Nathan Jones eluded to McGeehan's strike-rate after last week's exploits at Leyton Orient and he showed again exactly why he's so valuable to this Luton side. It was why the midfielder made a celebratory beeline for his boss. One good turn deserves another, after all.

The Hatters were incoherently bewildering in a first half where they began with five solid minutes of ponderous passing. Mansfield, who managed just a few touches, during that time then typically took the lead on ten minutes with their first corner. Their first effort on goal.

Rhys Bennett headed forward and Matt Green nodded in. Basic, economical football and far, far too simple, making for a ninth straight league game without a clean sheet.

At least for those opening exchanges there looked to be a game plan, but that dissipated quickly and the rest of the first half was played almost exclusively in the Hatters' half.

Jack Marriott cut a lonely figure up front with his strike partner missing, but he was protesting for a penalty soon after his side fell behind. A neat turn left Krystian Pearce on the turf and when the striker tried to push it past the prostrate defender, a hand appeared to halt his momentum.

With the visitors comfortable, but offering little to threaten Christian Walton's goal, a rare home foray forward saw Jordan Cook squirm into the box and curl just wide of the post.

Town had to wait for another 23 minutes for something approaching an effort on goal when Jake Gray curled just past the top corner.

Inspiration continued to evade the hosts as the clocked ticked past an hour and, when they did fashion a chance, so too did a finishing touch. In theory there would be few left pegs in the Luton squad that you'd want a Glen Rea header to drop to, 12 yards out, than Alan Sheehan.

The reality was that the defender slashed at golden opportunity. At that stage it looked like another one of those frustrating afternoons, where nothing would go right.

But Luton upped the ante with a double substitution on 68 minutes and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu and Isaac Vassell gave them more forward thrust.

And nine minutes later they were back on terms when, like last week, Marriott and McGeehan combined with the latter rattling into the bottom corner.

And that strike, brought an injection of adrenaline that lifted Kenilworth Road.

Scott Cuthbert shaped to score in the 83rd minute but his curler was beaten away by Scott Shearer.

Then, with the final kick, five minutes into injury time, Marriott looked to have hit a peach but his shot curled jut wide of the top corner.

It was head in hands stuff for the striker but at least their was one smash hit from this game that you'll want to play on repeat.

Luton Town: Walton, O'Donnell, Potts (Vassell, 68), Cuthbert, Gray (Lee, 81), McGeehan, Cook (Mpanzu, 68), Marriott, Gilliead, Rea, Sheehan

Unused subs: Smith, Mullins, Mackail-Smith, Lee, King

Mansfield Town: Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins, Pearce, Clements, Hoban (Thomas, 55), Green, Hurst (Iacovitti, 58), Hawkins, Rose (Hamilton, 72)

Unused subs: Jensen, Hemmings, Rose, Henderson

Referee: Graham Salisbury

Attendance: 7,787 (295)



Latest | October 2016