{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2016

19th October 2016 10:30

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Wycombe Wanderers
Green 81. Bloomfield 23
Attendance: 2898 (252 from Wycombe)

Date: 15 October 2016


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town went behind for just the 4th time this season in the league as Wycombe Wanderers took a first half lead this afternoon. But unlike the 3 previous occasions, Mansfield came from behind to pick up a point with a late equaliser from Matt Green. And in the end Mansfield were frustrated not to win the game as Wycombe’s outstanding goalkeeper Jamal Blackman, on loan from Chelsea, pulled off a stunning save in stoppage time to deny Darius Henderson a winner with a header that had goal written all over it. Green’s goal was his 80th in league and cup competitions for Mansfield. He started from the bench here for the 5th game running but would have started today had he not been ill earlier in the week. Mansfield had a good opening 15 minutes, and should have been in front on 11 minutes when Pat Hoban did well to win the ball, the ball was fed back to him, he rounded keeper Blackman but Danny Rowe got back to clear his shot off the line. But Wycombe sounded a warning twice, as Scott Shearer saved well from Gape, and then Cowan-Hall just failed to turn in a Paul Hayes clip to the far post. It was no surprise when they went in front on 23 minutes as Gobern was dispossessed and some crisp passing from Wycombe put Matt Bloomfield clean through on goal and he fired past Shearer from 14 yards. Hoban had another chance for Mansfield when a good ball from Mitch Rose put him in space on the right but he fired wide of the right post. The second half was a different affair though as Mansfield dominated. The introduction of Green and the returning Jack Thomas gave Mansfield more potency going forward. There were several chances to equalise, including Bennett heading just wide from Benning’s corner, and then Benning’s shot with the outside of his left foot bringing a terrific save from Blackman. The equaliser finally came on 81 minutes. Clements was hauled down on the edge of the centre circle. Collins took it quickly to Benning, who crossed high from the left, sub Henderson headed on and Green fired in from 12 yards. Good strength from Henderson and clinical from Green. Incidentally, after the game Wycombe’s boss Gareth Ainsworth was highly critical of the referee, including citing that the foul on Clements in the build up to the goal was not a foul. Video evidence shows it was a very clear foul. On 88 minutes, Benning’s free kick was saved by Blackman. Then a rare second half chance for Wycombe who could have won it themselves as Stewart sent a free header from a corner into the side netting. But it looked like Mansfield would pick up a late winner for the 4th time this season as Jack Thomas crossed from the right and Henderson headed towards the right corner of the net and Stags fans were out of their seats ready to celebrate as keeper Blackman, 6 feet 6 and remarkably agile, somehow clawed it away. It was probably the best save I’ve seen at Field Mill since Rod Arnold against Cambridge in 1975. Overall slightly disappointing from Mansfield, especially poor for the last 30 minutes of the first half, but positives to take including the second half performances of Green, Jack Thomas, and Henderson, and Mal Benning who was my man of the match. The Stags remain a point outside the play-offs ahead of next week’s visit to Luton.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1 - Super sub Green strikes again for Stags
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 15 October 2016

Matt Green was the hero from the bench for a third game in a row as he stole an 81st minute equaliser to earn Mansfield Town a 1-1 home draw with Wycombe Wanderers this afternoon.

It had seemed Matt Bloomfield’s 23rd minute strike had settled a poor game that contained few clear chances for either side.

But Green, on the bench for a fifth game in succession, again came on to make the difference at half-time and produced the goods with his seventh goal of the season and his fourth in three games.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-mansfield-town-1-wycombe-wanderers-1-super-sub-green-strikes-again-for-stags-1-8183439?

Wycombe had not won away all season but Stags have still to beat them at home in five attempts, the last being back in 2007.

It was a far cry from the previous week’s excitement of the home win over Notts County with Stags not at their best.

But Stags dominated the second half, Scott Shearer without a save to make, and deserved a point in the end.

They might have stolen all three had Jamal Blackman not denied Darius Henderson in stoppage time with a flying save.

Jamie McGuire, who suffered a nasty leg injury in training and ended up at hospital, was missing, while Kevan Hurst was dropped to the bench.

But Green, last week’s two-goal hero, wasn’t well early in the week so boss Adam Murray elected to keep him on the bench. Into midfield came Oscar Gobern while Kyle Howkins had recovered from an injury picked up at the end of August to make a return into a three-man central defence for a 3-4-1-2 formation. Stags survived a first minute corner as Wanderers went straight on the offensive. Mansfield settled and Clements overhit a free kick while an offside flag denied Danny Rose from a Clements pass. But Stewart had to defend superbly to prevent Mitch Rose getting a shot away from a great Hoban through ball on eight minutes.

On 11 minutes Stags almost went ahead as Hoban slid into a tackle to win the ball and Danny Rose fed the loose ball back into Hoban’s path to put him in on goal. Hoban took the ball wide of the keeper to his right only to see Rowe back to clear his finish off the line.

From the corner Howkins sent a header wide.

On 18 minutes Shearer had his first save to make as Stags struggled to clear their lines and the ball bounced to the edge of the box where Gape fired through a crowd of players at goal, Shearer doing well to parry and Collins clearing the loose ball for a corner.

On 21 minutes Wycombe came even closer as Hayes stabbed an inviting low ball across the box, Bloomfield slid in and missed it and Cowan-Hall reached it at the far post but could only turn it wide.

However, two minutes later the visitors were ahead. Hayes sent Bloomfield away clear down the centre with the defence split wide open and he calmly slotted the ball past Shearer from 12 yards.

The giant Akinfenwa was winning most of his aerial battles and on the half-hour mark was too high with a header from a free kick.

A minute later and Akinfenwa was there again at the far post to get a header into a long Rowe cross and force Shearer to claw it out from under the angle.

On 39 minutes Hoban wasn’t far wide with a well hit shot after Stags had broke well and Mitch Rose had cued him up to his right.

A late tackle by Pearce on Cowan-Hall earned the Stags man a 42nd minute booking.

Rowe turned well in midfield to lose two opponents and let fly from 25 yards but was too high with the finish on 44 minutes.

Stags made a double change at the break with Green and Thomas, making his first appearance of the season, on for Gobern and Danny Rose.

The home side were sent back out very early from their break and were soon on the attack when the game resumed, winning a corner.

On 52 minutes Green had his first chance, sending an overhead kick wide after a Clements free kick had been helped on.

Two minutes later Bennett powered a header wide from a Benning corner from the left.

Green then failed to get any direction onto a 10 yard header as the home side continued to press.

On 67 minutes Henderson replaced Hoban up front for the home side. Soon after Benning fizzed a first time shot over the bar from 20 yards after some neat passing.

On 71 minutes Bloomfield was booked for dissent as he argued over a foul on Collins.

Another first time effort from Benning on 74 minutes forced Blackman to turn it wide for a corner from which Pearce headed tamely wide.

Cowan-Hall was too quick for Collins on 79 minutes, the late tackle earning the Stags skipper a caution.

But the Stags were finally level with nine minutes to go - and once again it was that man Green.

Benning floated in a free kick from the left, Henderson got the knock-down and Green lashed a right-footed finish home from 10 yards.

On 88 minutes Gape was booked for a foul. Mansfield pressed for a winner and Blackman saved from Bennett while Benning curled another effort into the sidenetting.

In stoppage time Stewart headed a far post header into the sidenetting from a corner for Wycombe

In the last minute of added time, Henderson’s header was pushed away in a superb save from Blackman after a long Thomas cross as Stags had to settle for a point.

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins (C), Pearce, Clements, Hoban (Henderson 67), Howkins, M. Rose, Gobern (Thomas HT), D. Rose (Green HT). Subs not used: Jensen, Hurst, Hamilton, Hemmings.

WYCOMBE: Blackman, Harriman, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Rowe, Bloomfield (Wood 90), Gape, Cowan-Hall, Hayes (Thompson 78), Akinfenwa. Subs not used: Richardson, Jombatti, Bean, Weston, Freeman.

REFEREE: Brett Huxtable of Devon.

ATTENDANCE: 2,898 (252 away).



Wycombe's Matt Bloomfield on target, but Chairboys unable to hold on for the win at Mansfield

MATT Bloomfield’s first half strike wasn’t enough to deliver Wycombe’s first win on the road this season.

Recalled to the starting line-up, his cool finish after 23 minutes put the visitors in sight of a maiden three points of the season.


But they couldn't hold off incessant second half pressure from Mansfield, and substitute Matt Green earned the Stags a point ten minutes from time.

Talismanic striker Adebayo Akinfenwa was charged with leading the Wycombe frontline - one of two changes as the Chairboys travelled to North Nottinghamshire.

The 34-year-old Akinfenwa, along with Matthew Bloomfield started in place of Sam Wood and Garry Thompson, who had featured in last week’s 1-0 defeat at Yeovil.

Wycombe had picked up just one point from a possible 18 point return on their travels this season, but they came into this afternoon’s clash at the One Call Stadium with history on their side.

They have not lost in their last five clashes with The Stags, and Mansfield have not beaten Wycombe at home in nine years.

The match opened briskly, with both teams getting the ball quickly forward and Akinfenwa causing problems for the Stags defence.

However, it needed a neat piece of cover defending from Aaron Pierre on the edge of his own box to thwart both Mitchell Rose and Pat Hoban, as they bore down on goal to prevent Wycombe from going behind after seven minutes.

Three minutes later, Danny Rowe cleared off the line for Wycombe after Danny Rose played a neat pass inside to Pat Hoban. The Mansfield striker rounded keeper Jamal Blackman, but his goalbound shot was shuffled behind for a corner by his team-mate.

From Clements’ flag kick, defender Kyle Hawkins was presented with a free header inside the box, but the Mansfield player failed to hit the target.

The Stags had their tails up and Wycombe’s midfield were struggling to stick tight to the hosts or keep hold of the ball, as holes were exposed in the Chairboys’ defence.

It wasn’t until the 18th minute when Wycombe offered their first shot on goal.

After pinball heading inside the Mansfield penalty area, the ball broke to Dominic Gape whose low shot from the edge of the box was saved by the legs of keeper Scott Shearer, it fell to skipper Lee Collins who, facing his own goal, instinctively cleared the ball over the bar.

Moments later, a deftly threaded diagonal ball from Hayes behind the Mansfield defence almost found Cowan-Hall sliding in at the far post, but he could only put the ball into the side netting.

But then the game changed when, after 23 minutes, Wycombe took the lead against the run of play.

The ball broke to skipper Hayes, he spotted the run of Matthew Bloomfield darting through the middle, and with a piece of cool finishing the midfielder calmly placed the ball to Shearer’s right-hand side from just inside the penalty area.

With their tails up, wily Akinfenwa was having a big influence on the game, as Mansfield changed their defensive formation to cope with the big man who was winning everything in the air.

The Wycombe frontman headed wide from a Jacobson free-kick on the half hour, and then moments later he found space at the far post as Rowe floated in a cross, his goalbound header forcing the Mansfield keeper to scramble the ball away from his near post, under the angle.

After an edgy start to the half, Wycombe were showing far more composure on the ball, and passing the ball well. However, they had to be on their mettle and warning came on 38 minutes when Mitchell Rose found Hoban running through on the edge of the area, but the Mansfield player’s effort failed to find the target.

Manager Gareth Ainsworth was unhappy with some of the Mansfield tackling and was frequently bending the ear of the fourth official. He was particularly incensed with the 40th minute tackle by Krystian Pearce which felled Cowan-Hall, for which the Mansfield central defender received a yellow card.

The Stags made a double substitution at the beginning of the second half, with leading scorer Matt Green, who was ill at the start of the week, coming on for the second 45 along with Jack Thomas - replacing Danny Rose and Oscar Gobern.

The substitutions had an immediate effect with Mansfield passing the ball smartly and dominating possession.

Stags’ striker Green was in the thick of the action early on, tussling with Cowan-Hall inside the area from a Chris Clements’ free kick, with Green’s turning half-hit shot on the turn trickling past the post on 51 minutes.

Minutes later, right-back Rhys Bennett was left unmarked from a Malvind Benning left wing corner, but the Mansfield right-back directed header to the far post from the angle of the six yard box crept wide of the post with Blackman rooted.

The possession stats weren’t looking pretty for Wycombe. Mansfield were playing keep ball, pushing and probing for an equaliser, and the two substitutes combined on the hour with Thomas’s cross finding Green unmarked on the penalty spot, but his header was high and wide.

A neat piece of build-up involving 66th minute substitute, Darius Henderson, finished with left-back fizzing a shot high from range on 68 minutes.

Bloomfield was booked for backchat in the 70th minute after a period of stinging tackles and free-kicks which went against the visitors as Mansfield sought to translate their vast possession into a goal.

But Clements stand-clearing free-kick after 72 minutes when well placed 25 yards out, summed up Mansfield’s afternoon in front of goal.

Left-back Benning with a clever, instinctive shot with the outside of his left foot produced a fine save from Blackman, and then from the corner on 74 minutes, Stags’ central defender Pearce rose well, but the header sailed harmlessly wide.

It was all Mansfield and you sensed an equaliser could open up the game for the dangerous Midlands side - but a second goal for Wycombe would surely kill the match.

Ainsworth made his first substitution in the 77th minute when Garry Thompson replaced Paul Hayes.

But Mansfield’s persistence paid off ten minutes from time. The Stags took a quickly-taken free-kick, the ball was spread out wide to Benning, whose left wing cross was pumped into the area where leading scorer Green hooked the ball into the net.

In a feisty game, referee Brett Huxtable called Bloomfield and Akinfenwa together with two Mansfield players after a war of words exploded following the goal. But the North Devon official kept his cards in his pocket.

Mansfield could have won the game late on. Benning flashed one effort into the side netting after rampaging forward from left-back.

And three minutes from time, after Gape had fouled 28 yards out, Benning let fly past the four-man Wycombe wall, Blackman saved low, and right-back Rhys Bennett’s tame shot six yards out was gratefully saved by the Chairboys’ keeper.

Both teams were trying all out to win and both could have collected all three points in injury time. Three minutes into added time, Jacobson’s corner found Aaron Pierre unmarked at the far post with a gaping goal, but the central defender could only put his header into the side netting.

And then it took an outstanding save a minute later from Blackman to deny Henderson’s rocket shot, with a full-stretch save to ensure Wycombe returned with at least a point.

Mansfield: Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins, Pearce, Clements, Hoban (Henderson, 66), Howkins, M Rose, Gobern (Sub: Green, 45), D Rose (Sub: Thomas, 45). Subs: Jensen, Hurst, Hamilton, Hemmings.

Wycombe: Blackman, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Hayes (sub: Thompson, 76), Bloomfield (Sub: Wood, 89), Cowan-Hall, Harriman, Rowe, Akinfenwa, Gape. Subs: Richardson, Jombati, Bean, Weston, Freeman.

Referee: Brett Huxtable (North Devon).

Attendance: 2,898 (252 Wycombe fans)



Latest | October 2016