{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2016

12th October 2016 20:10

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 3 - 1 Notts County
Green 54, pen 90, Henderson 90+5. Rodman 82
Attendance: 5763 (1546 from Notts County)

Date: 8 October 2016

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town put in a superb second half performance to sink Notts County for the third successive time and retain Nottinghamshire bragging rights. Notts County were the better side in the first half and Mansfield were grateful to Scott Shearer for two fine saves and a Lee Collins header off the line in the opening 20 minutes. But the second half was a completely different affair as Mansfield took the lead on 54 minutes, with substitute Matt Green scoring within 23 seconds of coming on. Mal Benning floated a cross from the left into the middle, where Pat Hoban nodded down to Green 12 yards out. Green shot goalwards, it deflected off Richard Duffy as the defender to block it, and spun into the net, wrongfooting the keeper. The Stags were unlucky not to increase the lead on 63 minutes, as Green played a ball forward to Hoban who beat the offside trap, and with the keeper advancing and the ball bouncing up, Hoban lobbed over the keeper only to see it rebound off the front of the bar. But on 82 minutes, Notts were level, a free kick from just inside Mansfield’s half, fell to Alex Rodman who fired into the net from the right. Three minutes later, Mansfield should have had a clear penalty as sub Darius Henderson was smashed in the face inside the area by Forte as they challenged for the ball. The referee atoned for that gaffe by awarding Mansfield a penalty on 90 minutes. Benning knocked the ball past Tootle and both players went down in a heap and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Green stepped up and smashed it into the top left corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. The Stags made it 3-1 on 90+5 minutes. Clements knocked the ball up with his right foot, and smashed it with his left foot high into the Notts County half. Henderson outmuscled two defenders and fired left footed into the bottom right corner of the net. A show of brute strength and clinical finishing. As the Notts supporters slunk away, the Stags were left to celebrate a great second half performance. The aggregate score between the two sides this season and last season is now Mansfield 10-1 Notts County. No midweek game for the Stags this week so plenty of time to enjoy this moment, before the visit of Wycombe next Saturday.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 3 Notts County 1
chad.co.uk report by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 08 October 2016

Matt Green was again the hero with a brace of goals as Mansfield Town ended their poor home run in style with a sensational late 3-1 local derby victory over in-form Notts County.

Two goals in stoppage time secured the Stags’ first League win since August and only their second home win of the season.

Green, who bagged the winner at Port Vale in midweek within three minutes of coming on, made an even quicker impact today as he scored with his first touch within seconds of his 54th minute introduction - Stags’ first home goal in 440 minutes of football.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-mansfield-town-3-notts-county-1-1-8170937?

Pat Hoban hit the bar as Stags looked set to take all three points against a County side chasing a fifth straight away League win. However, it seemed like Notts had rescued a point when Alex Rodman’s deflected effort found the home net eight minutes fromm time.

But the Stags won a penalty a minute into stoppage time from which Green made no mistake. Then three minutes later fellow sub Darius Henderson poached his first goal for the club to spark wild celebrations.

Mansfield, who did the double over Notts last season, restored the side to the same starting XI for their last League two game at Crewe last weekend. That meant there was again no place for star striker Green who was on the bench for the fourth game on the trot.

Jack Thomas took another step back towards fitness by being named on the bench in place of Alex Iacovitti, who is away on international duty with Scotland U21s.

Stags had made five changes in midweek for the Checkatrade Trophy game at Port Vale, but all those were reversed today.

It was the same for the high-flying Magpies, looking for a fifth successive away win, as they also named the same XI as their last League game.

That meant keeper Adam Collin had recovered from his midweek illness while Michael O’Connor was still out with a groin strain.

Stags were looking for only their second home win of the season and a first home win in five. They also hadn’t scored at home for 386 minutes.

Stags were led onto the field by Kirkby’s Paralympics swim star Ollie Hynd.

Stead showed his class in the opening minute with an audacious backheel to try to get past Collins on the right by-line but the ball passed out for a goalkick.

Stags survived an early Notts corner as both sides put in one or two early tasty local derby tackles.

On six minutes McGuire went in too late for the referee and conceded a free kick almost 30 yards out which Dickinson curled over the bar.

On 10 minutes the visitors came much closer as Forte cut in from the right and tried to beat Shearer at his near post, the keeper getting a vital fingertip to it to turn it onto the post and out for a corner.

Hoban showed great strength to hold the ball up from a Shearer clearance and set up Mitch Rose on 13 minutes, but the midfielder’s finish from 20 yards lacked power and went wide. Then Collin just managed to gather the ball off the head of Hoban as he tried to get on the end of a Bennett cross.

There were jeers from the home fans as a Notts training ground routine free kick fell flat on its face and went straight out for a goalkick.

Then Tootle was furious as a high boot from Benning caught him across the chest, conceding a free kick on 18 minutes. Dickinson swung the ball in and, as Stags struggled to clear, Stead turned sharply and whipped the ball goalwards where Collins had to head off the line.

Two minutes later Stead fed Forte straight down the middle to go clear one-on-one with Shearer, the keeper doing just enough to get his body in the way and concede the corner.

Mansfield finally came close at last on 25 minutes as Bennett sent a cross over from the right and Danny Rose was there at the far post but only able to turn it wide. Mitch Rose was wide from distance soon after as the home fans began to make their voices heard.

Stags won their first corner on 29 minutes, but keeper Collin gathered it well. Shearer had to then be alert to clear a short Mitch Rose backpass out for a throw. Mitch Rose was then lucky to escape a booking after he went in late on Laing. On 40 minutes a Notts free kick from the right was headed back towards his own goal by McGuire, Hoban there to head it to safety for a corner.

A second corner followed soon after, but drifted straight out for a goalkick.

Aborah was fortunate not to see a yellow card when he continually ignored the referee’s request to leave the field for treatment. Almost immediately after the restart McGuire was booked for a foul on Milsom 25 yards from goal.

But Aborah was well over from the free kick. Pearce rose to meet a Hurst corner on 51 minutes but his header was always going over the bar.

A Notts short corner routine was only cleared as far as Aborah, who curled a hopeful effort wide of the far post with Shearer out of position. There were huge cheers as Green entered the fray on 54 minutes in place of Danny Rose.

And he was again an immediate hero as, within seconds he reached a Hoban knock-down in the box and saw his effort find the net off a deflection off Duffy. It was Stags’ first home goal in 440 minutes of football.

Stags’ second change came on the hour as Gobern replaced Hurst in the home midfield. Mansfield came so close to a second goal on 62 minutes as McGuire launched the ball forward and Hoban stayed onside to race away and, with the keeper advancing, hoisted a chip goalwards that came back off the crossbar. Meaning business, Notts made a triple change on 70 minutes with Stead, Aborah and Hollis replaced by Collins, Richards and former Stag Oliver.

Oliver was booked within a minute for his challenge on Pearce. On 72 minutes Pearce powered a header over from a Benning corner, then Shearer grabbed a dangerous Rodman cross as play swung from end to end.

Shearer was down well to safely grab a dangerous low Dickinson cross.

Then Bennett was booked for pulling back Forte on 82 minutes.

But the Magpies were level within seconds.

Oliver helped on a free kick towards the far post where Rodman fired goalwards from a tight angle and saw it find the net via a deflection.

Oliver wasn’t far over with a vicious shot soon after. Stags sent on Henderson for Hoban with six minutes left.

Within seconds he was challenged by Collins in the box and it looked a penalty, but the referee decided otherwise.

Henderson headed another chance wide as we edged towards stoppage time.

And in the first minute of that Stags were back ahead. Tootle tripped Benning in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Green to find the top left corner and ensure his man of the match and hero status.

In the fourth and final minute of added time Gobern was booked for kicking the ball away.

But a minute later Henderson bustled his way into the box between two defenders and managed to steer the ball home, then booked for his shirtless celebrations.

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins (C), Pearce, Clements, Hoban (Henderson 84), Hurst (Gobern 60), M. Rose, McGuire, D. Rose (Green 54). Subs not used: Jensen,Thomas, Hamilton, Hemmings.

NOTTS: Collin, Laing, Duffy, Hollis (Richards 70), Tootle, Dickinson (C), Aborah (Collins 70), Rodman, Milsom, Forte, Stead (Oliver 70). Subs not used: Loach, Audel, Campbell, Burke.

REFEREE: Carl Boyeson of East Yorkshire.

ATTENDANCE: 5,763 (1,546 away).




Latest | October 2016