{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2016

11th August 2016 19:25

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Newport County 2 - 3 Mansfield Town
Compton 18, Labadie 78. Green 12, D.Rose 66, Hurst 90+3.
Attendance: 2790 (339 from Mansfield)

Date: 6 August 2016

Martin Shaw at Rodney Parade

It was the first day of the new season in the English Football League Sky Bet League Two, and Mansfield Town deservedly won a thrilling game in Wales thanks to a brilliant stoppage time winner from Kevan Hurst. Mansfield had already led twice and been pegged back but this time there was no coming-back for Newport, and Mansfield had their first away win on the opening day of the season for 26 years, since August 1990 and a win at Wigan Athletic. The Stags, with the same starting XI and formation as at Worksop last week, took the lead on 12 minutes with a Matt Green header from a terrific Hurst cross. Four minutes later Green had a goal disallowed following a super free-kick in from Mal Benning, and our pitchside video footage, while not completely definitive, suggests Green was onside. Just two minutes after that, Newport equalised from a fine free kick from Jack Compton. The Stags deservedly regained the lead on 66 minutes with a debut goal for Green’s strike partner Danny Rose who fired into the bottom left corner of the net from 16 yards after being set up by Lee Collins. On 76 minutes, the Stags nearly made it 3-1 following more superb wing play from Hurst who crossed for Green whose header into the ground was brilliantly tipped over by the keeper. After that game Green told me that while it was an incredible save, he shouldn’t have given the keeper a chance. The Stags were pegged back again two minutes after that with poor defending from a Newport free-kick from the left, allowing Joss Labadie to tap home unmarked at the far post. It was a sickener for the Stags who had been much the better side in the second half. But Mansfield were not to be denied and Kevan Hurst became the second debut scorer as he curled a simply brilliant winner from the edge of the box on the left, over the keeper, and into the right corner of the net. Hurst ran 80 yards to celebrate with the Mansfield fans. It was a wonderful moment, and capped an outstanding performance from Hurst. A superb start to the season. The Stags now have three consecutive home games, with Blackburn the visitors in the League Cup on Tuesday, followed by Cheltenham and Yeovil in the league.



Stags snatch all three points at Newport County
chad.co.uk report by agency, Saturday 06 August 2016

Mansfield Town snatched all three points at Newport County as Kevan Hurst fired in a late winner to hand Adam Murray’s men a 3-2 victory on the opening day of their EFL season..

Matt Green and Danny Rose twice put the Stags in front but they were twice pegged back before Hurst’s 93rd-minute strike sealed victory in the South Wales sun.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/stags-snatch-all-three-points-at-newport-county-1-8054898?

Murray named four of his nine new signings in the starting XI at Rodney Parade.

There was no debut for new striker Darius Henderson and defenders Krystian Pearce missed out due to a knee problem.

But, after weathering an early storm from the hosts, Mansfield were ahead in the 12th minute. Hurst cut in from the byline on the left flank and crossed for Green to head past Exiles goalkeeper Joe Day and into the net.

Green, who played more than 50 games for the hosts between 2005 and 2007, thought he had a second goal shortly afterwards. The 29-year-old poked home Malvind Benning’s cross from the right but the flag was up for offside.

And Newport took advantage of that let-off to level on 18 minutes. Mitchell Rose went flying into a tackle on the edge of the box and Jack Compton curled the free-kick round the wall and beyond Scott Shearer’s dive to make it all square.

Defender George Taft had a half chance to restore the Stags lead but his volley from Hurst’s free-kick was off target.

And Green went close five minutes before the break after showing great strength to beat Jazzi Barnum-Bobb but his shot was blocked and Day snuffed out the danger.

Danny Rose restored Mansfield’s lead on 66 minutes, showing great feet to turn and fire past Day after being found by skipper Lee Collins.

And Green was denied by a superb save from Day before Joss Labadie poked in a second equaliser for the hosts 12 minutes from time.

That looked to be that but Hurst had other ideas as he curled in a shot from the edge of the area over the goalkeeper.

Newport County (4-4-2): Day; Butler, Turley, Bennett, Barnum-Bobb; Myrie-Williams (Tozer 71), Labadie, Randall, Compton; Rigg, Jackson. Subs not used: Bittner, Darren Jones, Bignot, Owen-Evans, Dafydd Jones.

Mansfield Town (4-1-3-2): Shearer; Benning, Collins, Taft, Bennett; Chapman (Howkins 67); Hurst, Clements, M. Rose; D. Rose (Hemmings 78), Green (Hoban 84) Subs not used: Jensen, Baxendale, Hamilton, McGuire.


mansfieldtown.net Report: Newport 2-3 Stags

Mansfield Town got their season off to a perfect start after a dramatic stoppage-time winner from new signing Kevan Hurst sealed the win for Adam Murray's men.

The Stags were twice pulled back by their South Wales hosts, but Newport ran out of time to respond to Hurst's 93rd minute pearler.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3925368&tcmuri=3153570#iJGR5bHTMWHS44hh.99

Stags led in both the first and second half through strikes from new front pairing Matt Green and Danny Rose, but Newport thought they had a point in the bag following goals from two free-kicks. But Hurst, and Mansfield, had other ideas.

It was a deserved win for Mansfield, who will be encouraged by some promising passages of play, as well as their impressive finishing.

Stags’ starting line-up featured four of Adam Murray’s nine new signings.

Rhys Bennett, the former Rochdale player, started at right back with George Taft, the ex-Burton Albion defender, also in the backline.

Hurst, with Southend last season, starred in midfield whilst frontman Danny Rose, who signed from Bury for an undisclosed fee, was in attack.

Stags donned their classy new all white away strip for the first time.

And it was a striking start by Adam Murray’s men, who began brightly by registering their first entry into the Newport box inside the opening two minutes. Mitchell Rose crossed from the right but nobody was able to connect in the centre.

Newport’s first chance of the season came on five minutes following a free-kick on the Stags’ right flank, but Mark Randall’s delivery into the box was too deep.

Good defending by Stags’ skipper Lee Collins prevented a Newport opening two minutes later. Randall’s attempted ball over the top was directed towards Marlon Jackson, but Collins made a vital intervention before being pulled to the ground by the County attacker.

Newport clipped the bar on ten minutes.

Randall slipped it to Sean Rigg, whose audacious 30 yard effort flicked the top of the bar before sailing over.

But it was Stags who were to draw first blood and from a likely source.

Matt Green, who bagged 16 goals for the club last season, opened his account for the new season on 12 minutes.

A well-worked move on the left began with midfielder Chris Clements, who found the advancing Hurst, darting down the left flank. And his pin point delivery was met by the head of Green, heading home from outside the goal area.

There were scenes of early jubilation amongst the Stags’ faithful, some of whom had a perfect view of the goal close by in the main stand.

Only the offside flag was to deny a second goal for Mansfield on 16 minutes.

Mal Benning swept in a right-flank free kick, causing chaos inside a congested home box, and Green slammed the ball low into the net.

But Stags’ joy was short lived by the sight of a linesman’s flag.

Newport were level from a free-kick of their own on 18 minutes. Jack Compton’s well-struck shot from 25-yards flew over the Stags’ wall and low into the corner of the net to beat a diving Scott Shearer.

At the other end, Hurst delivered a free kick from the left touchline, 30 yards from goal, but Taft’s effort from inside the box went wide.

Stags had to defend two Newport corners in quick succession; the first punched away by Shearer at his near post, with the second headed out of the penalty area.

Following a scrappy spell, Stags’ conceded a free kick 30 yards from their own goal because of a dubious hand-ball decision given against defender George Taft.

But the home side were unable to make the most of it, as Compton’s cross was too strongly hit.

On 39, Hurst whipped in a free-kick from 19 yards, but the hosts were able to head clear at the near post.

A minute later, Green did well to rob the ball from Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, the Newport right-back, on the left touchline. And after cutting infield, the 29-year-old let fly, only to see his attempt cannon back off a Newport player.

Then, with three minutes of the first half remaining, Bennett’s right flank throw was met with a neat turn by Mitchell Rose, who peeled away from his man. But the midfielder was unable to do the rest after his strike from outside the box rolled wide.

Joe Day, the Newport keeper then saved routinely from a 30-yard effort by Mitchell Rose, who looked determined to test the home custodian.

Both teams remained unaltered for the start of the second period.

Stags forced their first corner of the match three minutes after the re-start.

Green fed Danny Rose, who laid it back to Bennett and his drive cannoned off a Newport body to give Stags their first flag kick.

With ten minutes of the second half played, Green drilled a 35 yard free kick into the Newport wall, following a foul on Mitchell Rose.

Then from a Kevan Hurst free-kick, Newport half-cleared, allowing Adam Chapman to strike at goal. But the midfielder’s well-hit drive was blocked.

As Stags pushed their foot on the pedal, Hurst delivered another free-kick a minute later, on the left channel, which forced another Stags’ corner.

Scott Shearer had to be alert at his near post just after the hour-mark when Jackson headed forwards from a corner, only for the Glasweigan get across to his right post quickly to keep it out.

Stags regained their lead on 65 minutes when striker Danny Rose claimed his first goal in Stags’ colours.

After a right-sided assist by Lee Collins, Rose picked his spot beautifully with a low and composed finish into the far corner of the goal.

Straight after the second goal, Stags’ made their first change of the match as Kyle Howkins, a loan signing from West Brom, replaced Adam Chapman.

On 75, Stags almost had a third, but for a fine one handed stop by Day.

Kevan Hurst sprinted away on the right beyond the Newport defence to deliver a superb cross for the onrushing Matt Green. And Newport had Day to thank after Green’s header was stopped by the goalkeeper’s glove.

In the blink of an eye, Newport were level from another free-kick.

In the 78th minute, a drifted ball from the Mansfield right side was sent into the pack, and the deftest of touches by Joss Labadie sent it into the net.

Danny Rose was then replaced by Ashley Hemmings as Stags made a second change.

It was followed by a third change on 86 minutes as Matt Green made way for Pat Hoban in attack.

With three minutes of normal time remaining, Hurst teed up Rose, who fired at the keeper from 25 yards.

Stags bagged the points in the most dramatic fashion in the last minute of added on time.

From 20 yards, Hurst's beautifully weighted attempt found the top corner of the goal.

Hurst sprinted away in jubilation, the full length of the field, to celebrate with the Stags' fans.

It was a magnificent attempt to beat Day, sneaking in underneath the bar; a goal worthy of winning a game and one which gave Mansfield a perfect start to the new season.

NEWPORT: Day, Barnum-Bobb, Butler, Turley, Labadie, Compton, Randall, Myrie-Williams (Tozer 72), Jackson, Bennett (C), Rigg

SUBS: Bittner, Darren Jones, Bignot, Owen-Evans, Dafydd Jones

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Collins (C), Taft, Benning, Chapman (Howkins 66), M. Rose, Hurst, Clements, Green (Hoban 84), D. Rose (Hemmings 79)

SUBS: Jensen, Baxendale, McGuire, Hamilton

ATTENDANCE: 2,790 (339 away)

REFEREE: Rob Jones


Newport County 2 Mansfield Town 3
southwalesargus.co.uk, by Andrew Penman

NEW season, new team but a familiar feeling of disappointment for Newport County AFC as they conceded an injury-time winner against Mansfield Town.

Warren Feeney’s men had shown great character to fight back from 1-0 down and 2-1 down to level through Jack Compton and Joss Labadie.

But Kevan Hurst’s 93rd-minute winner condemned County to defeat on the opening day of the new season.


Feeney did not spring any surprises in his starting XI with 10 new signings lining up alongside goalkeeper Joe Day.

Jazzi Barnum-Bobb got the nod at right-back ahead of Paul Bignot and Jamie Turley started in preference to Darren Jones.

Turley lined up alongside new County captain Scot Bennett in central defence and, after the departure of Tom Meechan and Kieran Parselle on loan this week, the Exiles boss could name just six substitutes.

Jennison Myrie-Williams started on the left flank with Jack Compton on the right and both wingers performed well in an encouraging opening 45 minutes.

Myrie-Williams won the crowd’s approval early on after showing great pace and determination to track back and dispossess Mitchell Rose as he drove towards Day’s goal.

Mark Randall, showing signs of his Premier League pedigree in midfield, also stood out and he almost created the first goal on 10 minutes.

The former Arsenal man fed Sean Rigg, who tried his luck from distance with a first time effort that clipped the top of Scott Shearer’s bar.

But it was the visitors who broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when Hurst crossed from the left flank and Matt Green was afforded far too much time and space in the box to head past Day with ease.

The former County striker had the ball in the net again shortly afterwards but the offside flag was up as he poked home Malvind Benning’s cross from the right.

After 11 games without a win at the back end of last season it was not the start Feeney wanted.

But they responded well to the early setback and were level within six minutes.

Mitchell Rose flew into a tackle to concede a silly free-kick on the edge of his area and Compton took full advantage.

The Welshman signed from Yeovil Town in the summer curled the ball round the outside of the wall with his left foot and placed it perfectly out of reach of Shearer’s dive to deservedly level the match.

Feeney’s men gave as good as they got for the remainder of the first half to go to the break level.

But they looked oddly flat after the restart, inviting pressure from the visitors.

And they were made to pay on 66 minutes as Mansfield captain Lee Collins found Danny Rose just inside the box.

The striker showed great footwork and quick thinking to turn and arrow a shot into the back of the net in an instant and County were up against it once again.

They had to Day to thank for keeping them in the game with a superb save to keep out Green’s point-blank header on 75 minutes.

And the Exiles again showed great character to level for a second time 12 minutes from the end.

Joss Labadie was the unlikely scorer, in the right place at the right time to tap in virtually on the line at the far post from a free-kick.

But all that hard work counted for nothing as Hurst hit the winner just seconds from the final whistle to extend the Exiles winless run to 12 matches.

County: Day; Butler, Turley, Bennett, Barnum-Bobb; Myrie-Williams (Tozer, 71), Labadie, Randall, Compton; Rigg, Jackson

Subs not used: Bittner, Darren Jones, Bignot, Owen-Evans, Dafydd Jones

Booked: Labadie, Randall

Referee: Robert Jones

Attendance: 2,790 (339 Mansfield)

Argus star man: Mark Randall


5 things we learned from Newport County v Mansfield Town
southwalesargus.co.uk, by Andrew Penman

KEVAN Hurst's 93rd-minute winner condemned Newport County AFC to opening day defeat against Mansfield Town at Rodney Parade. Here's what we learned.

1. Attacking options desperately needed

With Tom Meechan out on loan, Jon Parkin suspended and Lenell John-Lewis injured, Warren Feeney had nobody on the bench to change the game.


Ben Tozer’s introduction allowed his fellow midfielders more freedom to get forward but one or two loan signings this week would provide a major boost.

2. Mark Randall looks a good replacement for Mark Byrne

Byrne’s departure for Gillingham left some big shoes to fill but former Arsenal midfielder Randall looks more than capable of stepping up to the plate.

Randall’s class on the ball was evident and once he gets to know his teammates better his influence should only grow. But he must avoid the kind of rash tackle that could easily have seen him sent off late on.

3. Jack Compton poses a real threat at set-pieces

It’s hard to recall too many goals from free-kicks last season but new winger Compton came up with the goods in a hugely impressive debut.

The Welshman’s perfectly placed effort gave the Mansfield stopper little chance and Compton was equally dangerous in open play.

4. Scot Bennett is Warren Feeney’s main man in defence

Feeney handed the captain’s armband to Bennett in a big show of faith in the former Notts County centre-back.

He and Jamie Turley were picked ahead of the experienced Darren Jones and both were below their best but the partnership has the potential to prove effective.

5. Jazzi Barnum-Bobb more suited to wing-back role

It’s harsh to rush to judgement after just one game but Saturday served to reinforce the notion that Barnum-Bobb looks better in a back five rather than in a 4-4-2 formation.

The youngster was exposed a little at the back against Mansfield and failed to create much going forward. With Paul Bignot ready to step in he knows he has to improve but Feeney is likely to give him the chance to do just that.



Latest | August 2016