{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2016

25th February 2016 10:25

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 3 - 2 Dagenham & Redbridge
Blair 54, Yussuf 67, Green 84. Pearce sent off 82. Hawkins 42, Cureton 86. Cureton missed pen 83
Attendance: 2822 (129 from Dagenham)

Date: 20 February 2016


Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town did the double over Dagenham this afternoon, in a game that was every bit as incredible as the 4-3 victory at Victoria Road earlier in the season. Mansfield were a goal down to a well-worked goal at half-time, but came roaring back in the second half with a more penetrating display. Matty Blair equalised with a terrific shot on 54 minutes, and Adi Yussuf scored after a good run from 40 yards out, on 67 minutes. The final 10 minutes though was incredible. On 82 minutes, Yussuf and Green broke 2-on-1 on the defence and Green should have made it 3-1. Straight to the other end, Krystian Pearce brought Jamie Cureton down a yard outside the box. The referee however gave a penalty and sent Pearce off. Cureton sent Shearer the wrong way but missed the target. Within a minute, Mansfield had made it 3-1 with another 2-on-1 break as Blair fed Green who this time slid his shot into the bottom corner. But just two minutes later, on 86 minutes, it was 3-2 as Dikamona’s cross from the right was pulled back from the byline to Cureton who scored from 2 yards. And on 89 minutes, Dagenham were nearly level as a close range header was saved by Scott Shearer. A brilliant reaction save. A breathless end to the game, as the Stags hung on in four minutes of stoppage time. Incredible drama.

Mansfield are back up to 5th and the dream of the play-offs is still very much on. We think that 72 points is probably needed for a play-off place. So Mansfield would need 6 wins and 3 draws from the remaining 13 games to achieve that. The Stags have been ruthless in beating bottom half sides this season and still have 6 games left against bottom half sides. On to Newport next week, one of those bottom half sides. Come on Mansfield!


MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 3, Dagenham & Redbridge 2
chad.co.uk, by John Lomas, Saturday 20 February 2016

Mansfield Town’s 10 men just held out for a thrilling 3-2 home win over bottom side Dagenham & Redbridge at One Call Stadium today.

Stags had won 4-3 at Dagenham earlier in the season and deserved a hard-earned three points today.

Read more: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/local-sport/match-report-mansfield-town-3-dagenham-redbridge-2-1-7741502#ixzz40nJ3qoiW

Trailing 1-0 at the break, Stags had hit back through Matty Blair and birthday boy sub Adi Yussuf and looked home and dry.

But a nailbiting finish saw Krystian Pearce sent off on 82 minutes for hauling down Jamie Cureton in the box.

Cureton missed the target with the spot kick and it all looked safe as the 10 men grabbed a third on 84 minutes through Matt Green.

But veteran Cureton atoned for his spot kick miss on 87 minutes as he made it 3-2 and it took a brilliant last ditch save from Scott Shearer to preserve three hard-earned points and move up to fifth.

Mansfield made two changes on the day. Adam Chapman returned as holding midfielder in place of Jamie McGuire, who was rested with a knee problem, while Dan Alfei made his full debut in place of James Baxendale.

McGuire is going into hospital this week to have his knee problem sorted,

After the furore over sub Adi Yussuf urinating pitchside last weekend at Plymouth, Stags had a portaloo pitchside today for the use of subs.

The afternoon began with an impeccably-observed minute’s silence for former Stags star Johnny Miller, who died on Thursday.

Mansfield made a positive start, but the visitors posed the first threat as Muldoon went just wide with a 25 yard free kick in the fifth minute.

On 11 minutes Alfei warmed keeper O’Brien’s hands from 20 yards, but the shot was straight at him.

Five minutes later Clements put a free kick into the mixer and Tafazolli glanced a header just wide of goal

A high, hopeful punt into the box soon after by Muldoon saw the ball worryingly drift just over the far angle, though Shearer seemed to have it covered.

Blair drew deserved applause for an electric run from halfway down the left, leaving everyone in his wake, but no one could get to his final cross.

Stags were relieved when a low Widdowson ball across the box failed to find a Daggers shirt and was put out for a corner.

Blair won a free kick in a good position for Benning’s trusty left foot 25 yards out, and he made O’Brien work, diving to his left to turn the ball away for the first of two corners.

Dagenham enjoyed a brief spell of pressure and twice Collins headed away.

But on 32 minutes Blair cut inside from the left and shot goalwards, the ball deflecting just over.

On 39 minutes the visitors tested Shearer for the first time. Working the ball down the centre to Chambers on the left, he got into the box and shot low at goal, Shearer down to his right to make the save.

But on 42 minutes Stags were caught out on the break.

The referee played a good advantage after Beardsley was fouled just inside his own half and play progressed, though Green’s final cross was to no one.

Dagenham then countered with speed and the ball was worked out to Widdowson on the left who drilled a low cross through everyone in the box to the far post where Hawkins was on hand for a tap-in for his first League goal.

There were a few boos from the stands as the sides went off at half-time.

But Stags came out on the front foot and O’Broen did well to beat Blair to a near post cross by Alfei.

On 48 minutes Alfei forced a save from O’Brien with a 20-yard snapshot from a clearance.

On 51 minutes Murray injected some pace into his attack as he replaced Beardsley with Yussuf.

Within three minutes Stags were level. Benning pumped in a free kick from the right, Tafazolli headed on and Blair met the ball on the half-volley, whipping it home off the inside of the right post.

The home fans were now fully back behind their side as they piled on the pressure.

But on 58 minutes Passley’s right wing cross deflected up off Benning and Shearer had to claw the dropping ball from under his crossbar for a corner.

Alfei was too high for Stags, then Shearer turned a low cross round for a corner at his near post, from which Blair broke well and forced a corner for Stags as play swung from end to end.

Pearce forced a great save on 64 minutes with a looping header that threatened to drop beyond O’Brien.

But Mansfield were finally ahead on 67 minutes. Clements put birthday boy Yussuf away down the right and he strode confidently into the box before slotting home a superb low finish past O’Brien.

On 71 minutes Dagenham withdrew McClure and Muldoon and sent on the evergreen Cureton and Richards.

Five minutes later O’Brien had to turn away a curling Benning free kick from 20 yards and then superbly turned over a Collins header from a Chapman corner as Stags stepped up their hunt for the all-important third goal.

Tenacity from Yussuf won the ball and set up Green only to see him shoot wide.

However, the game exploded on 82 minutes as Cureton was pulled down by Pearce in the box.

He was shown a straight red and a penalty awarded. However, Cureton somehow was well over with his kick to the jeers of home fans.

The game looked sealed on 84 minutes when on a counter-attack Blair set up Green for a cool, low finish to make it 3-1.

But three minutes later Cureton poached one from close range amid a scramble and it was game on again.

A minute from time Shearer made a brilliant save to keep out a point blank range header from Chambers.

STAGS: Shearer, Collins, Alfei, Pearce, Tafazolli, Benning, Clements, Chapman, Beardsley (Yussuf 51), Green (Lambe 87), Blair. Subs not used: Jensen, Thomas, Kavanagh, McGuire, Baxendale

DAGENHAM: O’Brien, Passley (Jones 79), Labadie, Dikamona, McClure (Cureton 71), Chambers, Hawkins, Muldoon (Richards 71), Worrall, Hyam, Widdowson. Subs not used: Cousins, Doidge, Hemmings, Hoyte.

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge of Tyne.

ATTENDANCE: 2,822 (129 away)



Match Report: Mansfield Town 3 Dagenham and Redbridge 2
Sat 20 Feb 2016

Dagenham & Redbridge lost out 3-2 in an end to end match away to Mansfield Town.

Daggers made five changes for the trip to Field Mill, with Liam O’Brien, Josh Passley, Clevid Dikamona, Ashley Chambers and Matt McClure recalled.

Matt Richards was named as a replacement for the visitors having not featured since the start of September.

Read more at http://www.daggers.co.uk/news/article/mansfield-town-x-dagenham-and-redbridge-x-match-report-2964045.aspx#PgWYaXdLC6rGJDu3.99

Chambers won Daggers a 25-yard free kick in the fifth minute, with Oliver Muldoon putting the resulting set piece just wide.

O’Brien was performing well between the stick in the opening 20 minutes, saving well from both Daniel Alfei and Chris Beardsley.

Daggers themselves had chances to open the scoring, with perhaps to best a ball that went all the way across the box from Joe Widdowon in the 21st minute.

But they needed their keeper in top form three minutes later with O’Brien brilliantly pushing a Mal Benning free kick behind for a corner.

At the other end, Ashley Chambers forced Scott Shearer into action with a stinging left footed effort in the 39th minute.

The visitors took the lead three minutes later at the end of a superb counter attack after Dikamona cut the ball out in his own box.

Chambers, McClure and Widdowson were involved in a flowing move that resulted in Hawkins tapping in at the back post for his first Daggers goal.

Four minutes into the second half, O’Brien was at it again as he stopped Alfei’s powerful long range effort.

But he was finally beaten in the 54th minute when Matty Blair scored for Mansfield from the edge of the area.

And Daggers were behind 13 minutes later when Adi Yussuf latched onto a long ball before scoring.

Jamie Cureton was hauled down in the box by Krystian Pearce seven minutes from time, with the defender seeing red, but the evergreen striker missed the penalty.

Mansfield had their third soon after, with Matt Green netting after a swift attacking break into the Daggers half.

Cureton did get a goal back a couple of minutes before injury time but it would stay at 3-2 to Mansfield Town.

Daggers XI: O'Brien; Passley, Worrall, Dikamona, Hyam, Widdowson; Labadie, Chambers, Muldoon; Hawkins, McClure

Subs: Cousins, Cureton, Doidge, Richards, Jones, Hemmings, Hoyte

Attendance: 2,822 (including 129 Daggers fans)


Hawkins’ first goal not enough for Daggers
by Ned Keating at Field Mill

Mansfield Town 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 2

Dagenham & Redbridge again let another lead slip as they lost at promotion-chasing Mansfield Town.
Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/dagenham-redbridge/hawkins_first_goal_not_enough_for_daggers_1_4426937
Having taken the lead somewhat against the run of play, Daggers conceded three in the second half while also missing a penalty. There was hope late on with a second for the visitors, but it would prove little more than a consolation effort. Having been successful with three centre backs at the start of his third stint as Daggers boss, John Still reverted to a 5-3-2 formation. Josh Passley returned to the side immediately after serving a one-game ban, while Clevid Dikamona came in at centre back. Other changes included Liam O’Brien in goal and Ashley Chambers in the hole, while Matt McClure made his first appearance since getting injured at Wimbledon. There was also a spot on the bench for Matt Richards who had not played since the win at Northampton Town in September. One of the changes presented Daggers with a good chance top open the scoring in the fifth minute when Chambers was fouled around 25 yards out in a central position. Oliver Muldoon stepped up to take the resulting set piece, which curled just wide of the left upright. O’Brien was also given an early tester in the Daggers goal, with full back Danny Alfei letting fly from distance in the 10th minute, but the keeper was well behind the shot. The visiting stopper was called upon seven minutes later too, collecting Chris Beardsley’s tame header after Matty Blair had crossed from the right. Daggers were finding themselves increasingly under pressure, but a good ball from Joe Widdowson went all the way across the box in the 21st minute. But again O’Brien was called upon to bail the east Londoners out, denying Mal Benning’s free kick from finding the net three minutes later. From there, the half seemed to deteriorate along with the weather as Field Mill became engulfed in a downpour. That was until the 39th minute when Hawkins showed good strength to wriggle free of Ryan Tafazolli and play the ball forward. Chambers latched onto the through ball and took a touch before firing with his left foot at Scott Shearer, who got down well to save the effort from the edge of the area. It seemed to spark Daggers into life and they took the lead with just three minutes remaining in the half. Dikamona intercepted a cross into the box by Mansfield before passing to Chambers, who sped forward at pace. He passed the ball on to McClure, who in turn found Widdowson who played the ball across the box with Hawkins tapping home at the back post for his first Daggers goal. Daggers took that lead into the break, although it looked in danger as Stags went on the attack early in the second half. Alfei chanced his luck from distance again in the 49th minute, but once more found O’Brien in a determined mood to keep hold of his clean sheet. Almost immediately at the other end, Hawkins flicked the ball into the path of McClure, but the striker could only find the arms of Shearer. It would prove a costly miss as Mansfield drew level in the 53rd minute through Matty Blair. A free kick into the box was cleared only as far as the hosts’ midfielder on the edge of the box, whose effort clipped the post on its way in. Despite falling behind, Daggers were almost afforded a huge slice of luck four minutes later when Josh Passley’s cross from the right took a deflection. The nick of the defender sent the ball looping towards Shearer in the home goal, with the stopper having to push the ball over a corner that was dealt with. O’Brien was also busy at the other end, having to leap acrobatically to prevent Adi Yussuf’s header from finding the net five minutes later. By now, the visitors were besieged so it was perhaps little surprise when they fell behind in the 67th minute. Yussuf latched on to a long ball forward from the back and cut inside Dom Hyam before slotting past O’Brien. Daggers were by now second best, with O’Brien again doing well to deny Benning with another free kick with 14 minutes remaining. Two minutes later and the keeper was at it again, this time denying Lee Collins from a corner. Daggers were handed a possible lifeline in the 83rd minute when Jamie Cureton was hauled down in the box by Krystian Pearce, who was sent off. The evergreen attacker stepped up to take the spot kick, but instead fired it into the home fans. Adding further insult to injury, Green went on to score his second of the game less than two minutes later. But the visitors were not done yet, with Cureton tapping in at the back post in the 85th minute to give Daggers hope. Chambers went close with a header late on, but Daggers were unable to find a way through to stay six points adrift of safety.

Mansfield: Shearer, Benning, Pearce, Collins, Chapman, Clements, Beardsley (Yussuf 51), Green (Lambe 85), Tafazoli, Blair, Alfei Unused subs: Jensen, Thomas, Kavanagh, McGuire, Baxendale
Daggers: O’Brien; Passley (Jones 79), Worrall, Dikamona, Hyam, Widdowson; Labadie, Chambers, Muldoon (Richards 71); Hawkins, McClure (Cureton 71) Unused subs: Cousins, Doidge, Hemmings, Hoyte
Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge
Attendance: 2,822 (including 129 Daggers fans)



Latest | February 2016