{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2015

23rd November 2015 12:00

The Emirates FA Cup - Round One replay
Oldham Athletic 2 - 0 Mansfield Town
Philliskirk 70, Poleon 78
Attendance: 1893 (188 from Mansfield)

Date: 17 November 2015

Martin Shaw at Boundary Park

Mansfield Town were knocked out the FA Cup by League One Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park. Mansfield were much the better side for the opening 65 minutes, playing some good football and having some good chances to take the lead. But failure to take those chances was costly as Oldham took the lead on 70 minutes and then added another on 78 minutes, a beauty from Poleon from the edge of the box. So Oldham through to face Sheffield United in the next round, but much to be positive about for Mansfield and the 188 Stags fans showed their appreciation of the performance with applause at the end of the game, a game which was played in atrocious weather with driving rain throughout and a strong wind. Adam Murray had made six changes from the side that lost at Northampton and several of the players coming in played very well, most notably Nathan Thomas who made several surging runs, Jack Thomas who was very lively in central midfield, and Krystian Pearce who was back in central defence and looked rock solid alongside the equally impressive Tafazolli. The fifth game without a goal for Mansfield is of course a real concern. It looked like Matt Green’s goal drought would be over when he was quick to pounce on a lazy backpass on 23 minutes but keeper Coleman did really well to get to the ball at the same time as Green and force Green’s shot from close range over the bar. On 47 minutes, a lovely ball from Tafazolli to Blair who put Green in on goal again but Green’s close range shot was brilliantly blocked by James Wilson. Green had a third chance of a one-on-one on 50 minutes but didn’t pull the trigger and was then outnumbered by defenders. I’ve got confidence that Green will end his goal drought soon and he will have been encouraged by the 188 Stags fans who got right behind him especially after that chance on 50 minutes, chanting “Green will tear you apart”. It was great support from the Stags fans.

Back to the league on Saturday with the visit of Hartlepool to the One Call Stadium. A big game as Mansfield try to get back on the goals trail and preserve their position in the top 7.

Adam Murray made six changes from the side that lost at Northampton: Scott Shearer came in for Brian Jensen in goal. His first game since the League Cup tie at Sheffield Wednesday. Pearce returned in place of Nicky Hunt. Collins moved to right back. Blair came in for Rose on the right, Nathan Thomas came in for Lambe on the left. McGuire came in for Clements, who was suspended for one game after picking up five bookings. Jack Thomas came in for Westcarr. It started as a 4-2-3-1 formation with McGuire and Chapman behind Blair, Jack Thomas and Nathan Thomas, but was changed to a 4-1-4-1 formation inside the first 15 minutes with McGuire in front of the back four, and Chapman and Jack Thomas in central midfield. Blair Adams was able to play having completed a loan move until January 19. Fitzpatrick replaced Clements in the 18.



STAGS: FA Cup run over as Latics win replay 2-0
chad.co.uk report by Sports Reporter, Tuesday 17 November 2015

Mansfield Town’s FA Cup adventure is over after they fell to a gallant defeat to Oldham with second-half strikes by Danny Philliskirk and Dominic Poleon.

Amid terrible conditions at Boundary Park Philliskirk made the breakthrough on 70 minutes and Poleon sealed the Stags’ fate eight minutes later.

Read more: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/stags-fa-cup-run-over-as-latics-win-replay-2-0-1-7576273#ixzz3rpkNQdjk

It was the Stags who came closest to opening the scoring in the opening 45 minutes when Matt Green, ploughing a lone furrow up front, chased down a short back pass from defender Brian Wilson. Goalkeeper Joel Coleman got to the loose ball first, firing his attempted clearance straight at the shins of Green but was relieved to see the ball sail over the crossbar.

James Wilson’s flicked header was then directed too close to Scott Shearer at the other end.

Two minutes into the second half Green was nearly in again, but saw his effort blocked by James Wilson.

As conditions worsened Mark Yeates’s cross at the other end was caught up in the wind and flew directly against the crossbar.

The goal finally arrived when Joseph Mills lifted the ball into the box, Krystian Pearce failed to clear and Philliskirk smashed home.

Standing water played its part in the second goal, bringing a hopeful long ball forwards by James Wilson into the path of Yeates. He cut back for Philliskirk, who in turn fed Poleon on the edge of the box and he finished with aplomb past the helpless Shearer no chance.

The writing was on the wall for Mansfield, without a goal since last month’s win at Yeovil.

And it was Oldham who went closest to the game’s third, but Liam Kelly missed with a long-range drive in added-on time.

Mansfield return to action against Hartlepool on Saturday bidding to end a five-match run without a win.


MATCH REPORT: Latics Battle Through To Second Round.
Tue 17 Nov 2015

On a filthy night at SportsDirect.com Park Latics fought off both a brave effort from League Two side Mansfield Town and the adverse weather conditions to secure a place in the second round of The Emirates FA Cup and a date at Bramhall Lane against Sheffield United.

Following a goalless first half Latics made the most of the advantage of a strong wind in the second half, to finally break down their opponents and move into round two.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/match-report-2804640.aspx#x0A8BXWzf1kwyigq.99

Manager David Dunn made one change to his starting eleven as Carl Winchester dropped to the bench. Richard Eckersley came into the side for his first start at right back, with Timothee Dieng moving to the heart of the Latics midfield alongside skipper Liam Kelly. Mansfield made six changes from their weekend defeat at Northampton as Manger Adam Murray rotated his squad.

After an impeccably observed minutes silence in all parts of the ground, in honour of the victims of last weeks atrocities in Paris, the game got underway in terrible conditions, with swirling wind and rain.

The first of three home games in seven days saw a fairly even start to the game, but it was the visitors who had the first sight of goal on seven minutes. Following a free kick from thirty yards by Chapman which struck the wall the ball was fed back into area and fell for Nathan Thomas who struck his shot well, but high over the bar.

Latics first move of note almost saw the ball break for Higdon in the penalty area after a strong run by Poleon.

The visitors were having the better of the territorial advantage and Nathan Thomas again caused problems as Latics were almost architects of their own downfall giving the ball way three times in quick succession before Thomas managed to squeeze past two defenders and fire in a cross shot which was blocked for a corner.

Latics were trying to impose their passing game through midfield as Liam Kelly tried to stamp his authority on proceedings, but too many times the ball was unnecessarily given away.

A near disaster befell the home side on twenty four minutes as mis-communication between Brian Wilson and his goalkeeper saw the defender playing a back pass past the oncoming goalkeeper. Thankfully for Latics Coleman managed to recover his ground sufficiently to do enough to put off Matt Green as he tried to force the ball home and only succeeded in putting it wide of the target.

With both sides plating a 4-4-2 formation the midfield was very competitive with both sides trying to wrestle superiority.

A tricky run by Latics winger Mark Yeates forced a corner for Latics and after some panicky defending from Mansfield Yeates himself was able to swing an excellent ball in for Danny Philliskirk who rose well but his flick header, although well directed, lacked sufficient power to worry Scott Shearer in the Mansfield goal.

Two minutes later it was Yeates again beating two men on the left wing before firing in a dangerous cross towards Higdon which Mansfield just managed to divert for a corner. Oldham continued to press as Mills' in-swinging corner caused problems for the keeper.

A Mansfield break saw Matt Green get behind the Latics defence, but a lack of support enabled the home side to get sufficient men back in numbers to eventually crowd him out.

Timothee Dieng earned the wrath of the referee and became the first name into his book following a foul on the half way line.

As half time neared the dangerous Thomas again threatened to burst through the Latics defence before requiring treatment following a tussle with Liam Kelly.

Oldham were nearly caught out seconds before half time. The defence stood motionless as a harmless looking header from Jack Thomas fell to an unmarked Matty Blair six yards out. Fortunately for Latics Blair with his back to goal failed to make contact with an overhead kick and Coleman was able to gratefully collect.

The first half closed goalless with few chances for either side.

The second half was only three minutes old when a neat passing move from Mansfield saw Matt Greeen through on goal for the best chance of the game so far, but James Wilson produced a sliding block to deny the Mansfield striker from eight yards out.

Minutes later Green again came close to breaking through the Latics defence but once more it was James Wilson to the rescue nicking the ball off the strikers toes as he prepared to shoot from the edge of the box.

As the sparse crowd tried to rally the home side Dominic Poleon responded by forcing a corner in front of the Rochdale Road End, which a stretching Danny Philliskirk could only head wide.

Poleon was proving to be the main focal point of Latics attacks as he forced Krystian Pearce to produce a good challenge on the right hand edge of the penalty area.

With the game entering a scrappy period both managers beckoned to their respective benches as they looked to affect the game with substitutions.

On loan Giorgio Rasulo was the first to make an appearance on the hour mark, with the eighteen year old from MK Dons coming on for his first appearance at SportsDirect.com Park. He replaced Michael Higdon up front in a repeat of the change which proved had such an immediate impact at Chesterfield.

He was involved in the action immediately drawing a rash challenge from Ryan Tafazolli and he followed Timothee Dieng into the book. From the resulting free kick the wind made life difficult for the Mansfield keeper as Yeates ball almost caught him out hitting the top of the crossbar.

A run from Poleon on the right wing then saw an interchange with Rasulo which almost got Philliskirk in. Mansfield responded and James Wilson was forced into another last ditch challenge this time on Nathan Thomas as Coleman hesitated.

A fine through ball from Rasulo fed Poleon this time on the left wing and his pace again troubled the defence who were forced to concede a corner. The resultant in-swinger from Yeates caused havoc as Philliskirk headed back into the danger area and a goalmouth scramble ended with the unlikely figure of Brian Wilson come closest with a shot which ricocheted off a defender to safety.

As Latics kept the pressure on the deadlock was finally broken on seventy minutes. Yeates again caused problems and won a corner on the left. Cleared initially the ball fell to Mills who curled a delightful ball into the box. Philliskirk controlled it and fired past the keeper from six yards out for his sixth goal of the season.

Eight minutes later and it was 2-0 with a spectacular finish from Poleon. A long ball from James Wilson to the left hand side was well kept in on the by line by Yeates. He jinked inside before pulling the ball back to Philliskirk on the edge of the D, he fed Poleon first time and from the left hand corner of the box Poleon curled a wonderful finish past the helpless keeper into the top right hand corner of the goal. A deserved reward after a hard working performance from the striker who had looked Latics most dangerous attacker all night.

As Latics looked to finish the tie, Mills burst through from left back and his run was only halted by a foul in the left wing position. Yeates again fired a dangerous looking ball in which Mansfield could only head out for another corner which was safely cleared.

On eighty five minutes Man of the Match Poleon received a richly deserved ovation from the crowd as he was replaced by Ricardo Fuller for the final few minutes.

Latics played some neat possession football before Liam Kelly eventually tried his look from thirty yards with his shot narrowly going over the cross bar with the keeper well beaten.

Latics comfortably saw out the four minutes of added time and a miserable evening weather wise ended on a bright note with them safely through to the next round.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Eckersley, B.Wilson, J.Wilson, Mills, Kelly, Dieng, Yeates, Philliskirk, Poleon (Fuller 80), Higdon (Rasulo 60’) .

Subs not used: Renshaw, Brown, Winchester , Vassell, Byrnes.

Mansfield: Shearer, Pearce, Collins, Chapman, Green, Nathan Thomas, Tafazolli, Blair (Rose 65), Jack Thomas (Yassuf 75), McGuire, Adams.

Subs not used: Jensen, Westcarr, Hunt, Lambe, Fitzpatrick.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Philliskirk 70, Poleon 78) 2-0 Mansfield Town

Attendance: 1,893 (138 visiting supporters)



Latest | November 2015