{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2015

11th November 2015 18:00

The Emirates FA Cup - Round One
Mansfield Town 0 - 0 Oldham Athletic
Attendance: 2886 (512 from Oldham)

Date: 7 November 2015

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were held 0-0 by League One Oldham Athletic in a game of few chances this afternoon and so the teams will have to do it again a week on Tuesday to earn a place in round two of the FA Cup. Mansfield had more possession than the League One side and kept the ball well but weren’t clinical enough in the final third. Neither team created many chances with Ricardo Fuller missing a good chance for Oldham in the first half and Reggie Lambe missing a glorious opportunity as he volleyed Craig Westcarr’s pinpoint cross over the bar from 7 yards. The first half had been even but Mansfield got on top in the second half without creating too many clearcut chances. One of the best chances fell to Matt Green whose initial shot was saved by the keeper and then his follow up was blocked on the line by defender Dummigan. Later in the half, Dummigan cleared off the line again, this time from Nathan Thomas’s shot from 7 yards. A decent performance with the Stags solid at the back as Lee Collins and Ryan Tafazolli were again in commanding form, with Collins our man of the match for a series of timely interceptions and clearances. The replay promises to be another tight encounter and it says a lot on how far we have come since last season that we come away from this game disappointed not to have beaten a League One side at the first attempt.

Mansfield made two changes from the side beaten by Wycombe a week ago. Chris Clements came in for Jamie McGuire in central midfield to bring more creativity. And Mitch Rose came in for Matty Blair on the right side of midfield. Blair Adams was given clearance to play by Notts County (before Notts were knocked out themselves last night) and he continued at left back. The Stags lined up initially in a 4-4-1-1 formation with Westcarr just behind Green. Krystian Pearce sat out the final game of his four game ban. The way that Collins and Tafazolli have been playing, Pearce can expect to be on the bench for the next game rather than coming straight back into the team. Meanwhile there was a surprise on the bench. We had been to watch the Stags youth team this morning and were initially disappointed that Cain Smith was not playing, after his goals in the FA Youth cup during the week and his fine performances so far this season. The reason he wasn’t playing was that he was promoted to the first team squad and a place on the bench this afternoon in the FA Cup. A clear message to the youngsters that if they play well, Adam Murray may promote them to the first team squad.

A subtle chance in the Stags shirt with the Stags head on the back of the shirt now removed, making the numbers easier to see.



Saturday, 7th November 2015: Mansfield Town 0, Oldham Athletic 0 (FA Cup Round One)
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield Town pushed League One strugglers Oldham Athletic all the way, but had to be content with a replay at Boundary Park after a thoroughly entertaining 0-0 draw in the Emirates FA Cup first round tie at One Call Stadium this afternoon.

But the Stags were the better side over the 90 minutes and had Reggie Lambe put away a glorious chance or Cameron Dummigan not made two goal line clearances, Stags would have taken a deserved place in round two.

Read more: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/local-sport/saturday-7th-november-2015-mansfield-town-0-oldham-athletic-0-fa-cup-round-one-1-7558845#ixzz3qqJydYwa

Mansfield produced some of their best passing football of the season in this tie with Chris Clements running the show from deep in midfield.

Ryan Tafazolli and Lee Collins were rocks at the back whenever Oldham threatened, Ricardo Fuller missing their best chance of the game.

Mansfield edged the first half possession and chances but after the break were completely dominant against a Latics side with only two wins to their name all season.

It was the second time in three seasons the sides had gone to an FA Cup replay with Oldham triumphant last time out.

The Mansfield side showed two changes. Both were in midfield with Mitch Rose and Clements coming in for Matty Blair and Jamie McGuire.

Youth team player, 16-year-old midfielder Cain Smith, was given a place on the bench for the first time.

Notts County gave permission for on-loan defender Blair Adams to become cup-tied and play in the tie.

The visitors gave a full debut to former Stoke City star Ricardo Fuller up front.

Latics boss David Dunn, short on midfielders, named himself on the bench.

Stags played some attractive early keep-ball. But it was Oldham who were almost gifted a seventh minute opening.

Clements tried to spray the right but asked a lot of Hunt to control under pressure and Yeates robbed him and strode into the box for a shot that deflected over for the first of two corners for the Latics.

Twice in the early stage Tafazolli dealt well with the bulk and pace of Fuller.

And Stags finally threatened after 12 minutes as Westcarr lofted the ball into the box for Green, Mills in with a saving tackle.

Soon after Adams sidefooted a tame finish at Coleman as Stags began to apply some pressure in the final third.

Oldham responded with an attack that came out to Philliskirk 12 yards out and Tafazolli did well to block his on-target effort.

The visitors should have taken a 29th minute lead after carving open the Stag down the centre. Yeates threaded the ball through for Fuller, but the Jamaican international stroked his low finish wide from 12 yards.

Winchester saw the afternoon’s first yellow card for hacking down Clements on 33 minutes.

Mansfield created more danger on 39 minutes after a good run and cross by Adams on the left, Rose meeting it with a vicious shot that Wilson did well to block.

In the first of two added minutes Lambe missed the chance of the game.

Westcarr put over a superb curling cross from the left and picked out Lambe five yards from goal and central from where he volleyed over the bar in what was a golden opportunity.

Even deeper in stoppage time Jensen was safely behind a deflected Winchester shot as an entertaining half ended in stalemate with Lambe’s missed sitter the main interval talking point.

Rose was off target with his header from Chapman’s 52nd minute corner as both sides began the half with attacking intent.

Collins misjudged a high ball and allowed Higdon to get behind him but recovered superbly almost in one movement to rob the Latics man and clear his lines.

Fuller, who had done little on his full debut apart from missing his one good chance, was withdrawn in favour of Croft on 55 minutes.

A Lambe dummy saw Green stride away into the box on 57 minutes, the keeper down well to block his prodded finish and then Dummigan on the line to stop Green squeezing home his follow-up from a tight angle.

Four minutes later sub Croft cut in from the right and was afforded space to try to curl a shot across Jensen, the big Dane down well to his right to palm away.

Nathan Thomas was sent on for Rose on 63 minutes. Then Lambe’s silly trip on Mills deep in the Oldham half rightly saw him booked on 67 minutes.

From a quickly-taken free kick Nathan Thomas drilled a low shot at Coleman.

But Thomas came even closer on 80 minutes as Westcarr missed his kick on a low cross from the right and Thomas fired goalwards where Dummigan was again there to clear off the line.

A minute earlier Oldham sub Croft had to limp off to be replaced by Eckersley.

Stags sent on Blair and Yussuf for Lambe and Green near the end in a last throw of the dice that failed to yield a winner.

STAGS: Jensen, Rose (N. Thomas 63), Collins, Chapman, Clements, Green (Yussuf 82), Westcarr, Tafazolli, Hunt, Lambe (Blair 80), Adams. Subs not used: Shearer, J. Thomas, McGuire, Smith.

OLDHAM: Coleman, Mills, Dieng, Poleon (Rasulo 73), Philliskirk, Winchester, Wilson, Yeates, Fuller (Croft 55, Eckerlsey 79), Higdon, Dummigan. Subs not used: Dunn, Vassell, Byrnes, Renshaw.

REFEREE: Tony Harrington of Cleveland.

ATTENDANCE: 2,886 (512 away).



MATCH REPORT: Replay Needed As Latics Draw With Mansfield
Posted: Sat 07 Nov 2015

We will need a replay to determine who gets through to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup as it ended goalless at the One Call Stadium.
Both sides had chances to win the game with Latics’ best chance coming in the first half through Ricardo Fuller but he put his effort past the post.

Latics were forced into some defending with Burnley loanee Cameron Dummigan twice clear off the line in the second half but a replay at SportsDirect.com Park awaits.

Manager David Dunn was forced to name himself on the bench due to the absence of Jay Fulton.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/match-report-replay-needed-as-latics-draw-with-mansfield-2789439.aspx#iVVTvJvtkpWposmF.99

It was a very bright start to the game from both sides but it was Latics that had the first chance of the game.

Mark Yeates advanced onto the edge of the box, cut inside but saw his shot deflected over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Athletic were forced into some last ditch defending as Joseph Mills just got back in time to deny Matt Green from firing.

The wind played a massive part throughout the half as passes and shots were being held up.

On 14 minutes, Danny Philliskirk was given space inside the penalty area to shoot but a deflection sent it off course and out for a corner.

Both sides were going for it in the first half but Latics had to be wary of the Mansfield counter attack.

Just before the half hour, Ricardo Fuller had the best opportunity of the half but placed his shot wide from 10 yards.

Carl Winchester was booked for a late challenge on Chris Clements in midfield and the home side started to enjoy a bit of sustained pressure.

After winning corner after corner, Latics did manage to break but Cameron Dummigan’s 50 yard pass was just intercepted at the vital point.

Mansfield’s best chance of the half came a minute before the half time whistle as Reggie Lambe headed over from six yards unchallenged.

Latics attempted to make them pay for that missed chance before the break but Winchester’s deflected shot fell straight into the arms of Stags goalkeeper Brian Jenson.

The game lost its intensity a bit after the break but Fuller was unfortunate not to latch onto a through ball from Philliskirk on 50 minutes.

Mansfield really should have taken the lead minutes later as Green knocked the ball past Joel Coleman but out of nowhere Cameron Dummigan appeared out of nowhere to clear the danger.

Fuller was replaced on 55 minutes for Lee Croft and the substitute almost gave Latics the lead after his introduction.

The winger ran at the defence, cut inside and curled the ball towards the far corner but Jenson’s outstretched arm just palmed it wide.

The pace of the game slowed down slightly with Mansfield’s Lambe booked for a late challenge on Mills.

Giorgio Rasulo was introduced with 20 minutes of the game remaining and he looked lively in attack.

It was the home side, however, who had the better chances to win it in the final 10 minutes.

Dummigan was forced to clear off the line again as Mansfield continued to put pressure on Coleman’s goal.

However, on the break Latics looked threatening. With only two minutes of the game remaining, Yeates pulled the ball back for Philliskirk to strike but a deflection sent the ball over the crossbar.

Latics were forced down to 10 men in the final minutes as Timothee Dieng picked up an injury but they eventually managed to hold on to earn a replay in 10 days time.

Mansfield Town: Jenson, Rose (Thomas 63’), Collins, Chapman, Clements, Green (Yussuf 81’), Westcarr, Tafazolli, Hunt, Lambe (Blair 80’), Adams.

Subs not used: Shearer, Thomas, McGuire, Smith

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Dummigan, Wilson, Dieng, Mills, Poleon (Rasulo 72’), Winchester, Philliskirk, Yeates, Higdon, Fuller (Croft 55’, Eckersley 78’).

Subs not used: Dunn, Vassell, Byrnes, Renshaw.

Goals: Mansfield Town 0-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 2,886 (512 visiting supporters)

Football League Paper, 8 Nov 2015



Latest | November 2015