{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2015

5th November 2015 17:12

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 2 Wycombe Wanderers
O’Nien 8, Holloway 90+4
Attendance: 3165 (345 from Wycombe)

Date: 31 October 2015

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were beaten at home by Wycombe Wanderers this afternoon. Wycombe took the lead after 8 minutes with a rare moment of quality after a great cross from the right by Michael Harriman was headed back across goal by Garry Thompson and then headed home by Luke O’Nien. Wycombe rarely looked like threatening the Mansfield goal again until Mansfield left big gaps at the back in stoppage time at the end and Wycombe capitalised on 90+4 minutes with a goal by Aaron Holloway to give the scoreline a flattering look. Mansfield had lots of possession during the 90 minutes, with plenty of good moves, but all too often the Stags’ play broke down in the final third. Wycombe defended superbly throughout and can take much credit for Mansfield’s moves breaking down. The Stags didn’t play poorly today but needed more quality in the final third to break Wycombe down. It made for a frustrating afternoon for the home fans. A word on the Wycombe fans who gave their team great support throughout the game, a bit like the Stags fans did at Portsmouth last week. But I was surprised that following the excellent haul of 4 points from those trips to Yeovil and Portsmouth and with the Stags sitting 5th in the table, the number of home fans was 529 down today from the last home game.

So, as we take a break for the FA Cup next weekend, we’re more than a third of the way through the season. The Stags have played eight teams in the top half of the table and eight teams in the bottom half. The Stags are inside the play-off places, and just two points behind the automatic promotion places. The defensive record is impressive, with only Plymouth having conceded fewer goals. At the other end, Mansfield have had 11 different scorers this season and it’s been great to watch so far, exceeding my own expectations overall.

Adam Murray made two changes from the side that drew at Portsmouth. Matty Blair, having impressed as substitute at Portsmouth, came in for his first start since his long absence due to injury, in place of Mitch Rose. Jamie McGuire came in for Chris Clements. Blair Adams was making his home debut, on loan from Notts County, after good performances at Yeovil and Portsmouth. Lee Collins continued in central defence after his fine performances at Yeovil and Portsmouth, with Krystian Pearce still suspended. It was originally thought that Pearce would be suspended for 3 games, so would be available for the FA Cup game, but he will actually be suspended for a 4th game next week, the extra punishment being for not leaving the pitch quickly enough after his sending off. So he will not be available until the Northampton game in a fortnight. With Collins playing so well alongside Tafazolli, it’s unlikely Pearce would have started next week anyway.



REPORT: Mansfield Town 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers
chad.co.uk report by Stephen Thirkill, Saturday 31 October 2015

A goal in either half secured a 2-0 win for Wycombe Wanderers to ruin Adam Murray’s 50th game in charge of Mansfield Town.

Luke O’Nien headed home from close range on eight minutes, before Aaron Amadi-Holloway wrapped up the points in injury time.

Goalkeeper Matt Ingram pulled off a number of key saves throughout as Wanderers secured their first win in five.


Stags flowing attacking football carved out a number of chances throughout the 90 minute as they showed why they can be such a potent attacking force.

But they failed to make the most of the many openings as they slipped to their second successive home defeat.

Adam Chapman tested Ingram with a long range effort after a flowing move involving Blair Adams and Matt Green opened up the visitors inside four minutes.

Green then had a snapshot saved by Ingram on seven minutes as Stags continued to look lively up front.

But it was Wycombe who took the lead against the run of play a minute later when O’Nien headed past Brian Jensen after unselfish play from Garry Thompson.

Craig Westcarr fired over with a curling effort, before Adams failed to make the most of plenty of space as he drilled a shot well over.

The strength and hold-up play of Green proved decisive in creating both chances as the Wycombe rearguard struggled to deal with the power of the Stags frontman.

Aaron Pierre stood up strong to block a thunderous effort from Reggie Lambe on 35 minutes as Mansfield continued to rely on long range efforts to crack the visitors.

Jason McCarthy wasted a decent chance to double Wycombe’s lead just before the break when he found space in the box but failed to connect correctly with the ball, Wanderers remaining ahead at the break by a single goal.

Ingram pulled off a superb diving save a minute after the restart to palm away a Lee Collins header as Murray’s men started on the front foot.

Sam Wood fluffed a header from ten yards out on 49 minutes after Wycombe broke at speed and exploited the space..

Stags then had Jensen to thanks after he spread himself well to block Thompson’s shot after he was clean through a minute later.

Collins then mopped up the loose ball at the expense of a corner as Mansfield continued to live dangerously.

Substitute Adi Yussuf should have done better on 58 minutes when his mis-hit effort bobbled harmlessly through to Ingram, Green then firing into the Quarry Lane end as Stags continued to falter.

The inspired Ingram pulled off two great saves to twice deny Nathan Thomas on 71 and 72, while Ryan Tafazolli then headed straight at the Wanderers keeper as the hosts turned up the pressure in the closing stages.

But the points were sealed for the visitors when Amadi-Holloway cooly doubled their lead in stoppage time after a pin-point pass by Matt Bloomfield.


Report: Mansfield 0-2 Wycombe

Wanderers were back to their best with a superb 2-0 triumph at Mansfield Town on Saturday afternoon.
Luke O'Nien headed them into an early lead and there were a number of chances at both ends as Matt Ingram made a string of fine saves and Garry Thompson was denied by Brian Jensen.

The points were sealed in stoppage time when Aaron Amadi-Holloway thundered home his second goal of the season to ensure a happy end to a difficult month for the 345 incredibly vocal visiting supporters.

Read more at http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/live-mansfield-vs-wycombe-2774729.aspx#UkPqbelhPULUyYj1.99

Gareth Ainsworth was able to recall Matt Ingram to the starting line-up after injury but his side was otherwise unchanged for the first of four successive away games.

The first chance of the match fell to Stags midfielder Adam Chapman inside four minutes, but Matt Ingram got down well to save his pile-driver from 25 yards after Matt Green had laid Blair Adams’ pass into his path.

Ingram was again called into action when Green fired a shot straight at him on the turn from Matty Blair’s lay-off, before the visitors took the lead with their first real attack courtesy of a smart attacking combination.

Michael Harriman raced down the right to loop a cross to the back post and Garry Thompson unselfishly nodded it back across the six-yard box for Luke O’Nien to head home.

Mansfield responded well and saw efforts from Craig Westcarr and Blair Adams fly over the bar, before Westcarr’s thunderous effort from distance bounced off the chest of Aaron Pierre and fell to safety.

Blair Adams whipped in a dangerous cross which just evaded the two strikers as Town continued to have the better of the attacking openings, without really testing Matt Ingram.

The big keeper was called into action moments after the interval with a stunning two-handed save from Lee Collins’ header from a corner, before a smart counter-attack from the visitors ended when a deep cross was just too high for Sam Wood to make a connection.

Then Garry Thompson was set free down the middle but his clipped shot deflected off the body of the diving Brian Jensen and the loose ball was headed clear by a recovering defender just in front of the goal-line.

An inventive move then saw the ball just whisked away from the forehead of Thompson from Hayes’ well-weighted cross, and Joe Jacobson’s powerful volley from Wood’s lay-off looked to be hitting the target before it deflected wide for a corner.

At the other end, Craig Westcarr miscued his left-footed shot as he collected a pass in the area, and the intensity grew as both sets of fans upped the volume to reflect the growing tempo of the game.

Sam Wood’s floated cross to the back post caused panic for Town as Brian Jensen failed to claim a looping ball before it was scrambled clear, and then Matt Green blasted over from 18 yards for the hosts.

Then Nathan Thomas was denied by the legs of Ingram as he jinked inside the box to create space for himself, and the Wycombe keeper then showed good reflexes to palm away a near-post drive from Westcarr. From the resulting corner, Ryan Tafazolli rose highest but directed his header straight at Ingram.

Wanderers’ energy and resilience kept them in front and you could never rule them out of scoring a second as spaces emerged in the Stags’ defensive third, although the next chance fell to the hosts when Matt Green headed wide from a deep cross.

It looked like being a nervy four minutes of stoppage time but the icing on the cake arrived with seconds remaining when Matt Bloomfield clipped in a clever ball for Aaron Amadi-Holloway to latch onto and bury a powerful shot into the net in front of the adoring away fans.

Mansfield: Jensen, Hunt, Adams, Tafazolli, Collins, Blair (Yussuf 45), McGuire (Clements 53), Chapman, Lambe (N Thomas 68), Westcarr, Green.

Unused subs: Shearer, Rose, Beardsley, J Thomas.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, McCarthy, Pierre, Harriman, O’Nien, Bean, Wood (Bloomfield 87), Hayes (Ugwu 82), Thompson (Amadi-Holloway 68).

Unused subs: Lynch, Sellers, Bloomfield, McGinn, Kretzschmar.

Referee: Mr Seb Stockbridge

Attendance: 3,165 (345 from Wycombe)


Wanderers treat fans to a vital win on Halloween
Writer: Dale Jenkins
Read more: http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=419987#ixzz3qESxBFNk

Mansfield Town 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe Wanderers are back to winning ways after a 2-0 success at Mansfield Town this afternoon.

After a difficult October month which had only yielded one point prior to today, the Chairboys turned in a resilient display to pick up a crucial three points, propelling them up to 9th position, just three points off the automatic promotion places with a game in hand.

The only alteration to the starting eleven was the welcome return of Matt Ingram who replaced Alex Lynch in goal. With no other changes in personnel the Blues lined up in a 4-4-2 formation.

This was a classic away performance from Gareth Ainsworth's men, set up by an early headed goal by Luke O'Nien with just 8 minutes played.

A very good goal it was too, Hayes lifting a through ball to Harriman, the winger sending in a delicious cross and there was Thompson to unselfishly flick a header back to the onrushing O'Nien who dived to head home from just a couple of yards.

It was just what Wycombe needed, as Mansfield had already shown their capability to get the ball down and play rather than the hoofball seen from their side in recent seasons.

Before the opener those in attendance had already witnessed an impressive team move ending in midfielder Adam Chapman shooting straight at Ingram. Striker Matt Green also fired an effort straight into the gloves of the Wycombe keeper before the sucker punch at the other end.

The goal didn't seem to perturb the hosts who were showing good movement up front, with Craig Westcarr and Green exchanging passes before the former curled a shot a long way over the bar.

Green then spotted Sido Jombati hopelessly out of position and slid a ball through to left back Adams, but with Harriman surging back towards him the defender could only fire over the crossbar from a promising position.

After 21 minutes Jason McCarthy showed his defensive prowess by holding off Green in a one-on-one situation, and the young centre half would go on to turn in a most impressive performance today, reminiscent of the class shown by Alfie Mawson last season.

There were more chances for the Stags before the interval, with Westcarr's thumping drive thundering into the chest of Pierre, before another slick move saw Adams whip a dangerous ball across the face of goal with no-one there to apply the finishing touch.

Wycombe's only other half-chance in the opening period came when McCarthy flicked a free kick on but no-one gambled at the far post. Thompson and O'Nien were harshly booked but apart from that defensive grit was the order of the day.

Mansfield replaced Matty Blair with Adi Yussuf for the second half which turned out to be an end-to-end forty five minutes, starting with a magnificent one handed save by Ingram from a Neil Collins header.

O'Nien did terrifically well to dig out a cross from the right on 49 minutes but after Nicky Hunt missed his header, Sam Wood fluffed a clear chance as he failed to make a proper connection with his header.

Moments later Wycombe should have doubled their lead as Hayes' intelligent through ball found Thompson clear on goal, but the striker elected to try and chip Brian Jensen and the ball looped up for Collins to head the ball away from danger.

The chances kept coming as Jacobson's drive was deflected narrowly over for a corner before Westcarr's attempted shot was scuffed and trickled into Ingram's hands, and Yusuff's shot was blocked for a corner by McCarthy.

Thompson was substituted for Holloway for Wycombe and Westcarr again saw a near post strike tipped wide by Ingram as Wycombe began to drop deeper towards their own box. Hayes then limped off to be replaced by Ugwu.

The hosts had lost their momentum somewhat despite seeing a lot of the ball and their frustration was evident. The next opening of note did not arrive until 88 minutes when Green mistimed a header at the far post, testament to the excellent defending on display from the Chairboys.

In a ploy to eat up some more time Wood was replaced by Bloomfield, and Ingram was booked soon after for timewasting.

It was a very happy ending though, as long-serving midfielder Bloomfield clipped a terrific through ball to fellow substitute Holloway, and the striker took a touch to steady himself before blasting past Jensen to the delight of the 345 Wycombe supporters who never stopped singing today.

The sight of Gareth Ainsworth coming over to those fans with a double thumbs up told you just how important the support was today, and what a big three points this was for everyone at the club.

Ingram (9*) Numerous saves, with one outstanding
Jombati (7) Occasional lax positioning but otherwise composed
McCarthy (9) Terrific performance
Pierre (8) Man mountain, back to his best
Jacobson (8) Fortunate to have him and his trusty left foot
Harriman (7) Tireless. Another good cross led to opener
Bean (7) Broke up play, screened the defence effectively
O'Nien (7) Bubbly character, energetic performer, deserved his goal
Wood (6) Played his part but still off-colour
Thompson (7) Wasted big chance but unselfishly assisted opener
Hayes (8) Led by example, a vital presence.

Holloway (7) Looked a threat and scored.
Ugwu (N/A) Held the ball up well
Bloomfield (N/A) Great assist for the second



Latest | November 2015