{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2015

9th October 2015 23:24

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Dagenham and Redbridge 3 - 4 Mansfield Town
McClure 9, Chambers 30, 32. Benning 6, Green 37 (pen), Pearce 81, Yussuf 86.
Attendance: 1,597 (193 from Mansfield)

Date: 3 October 2015


Martin Shaw at Chigwell Construction stadium, Victoria Road.

In an absolutely incredible game at Victoria Road, Mansfield Town came from 3-1 down to beat Dagenham 4-3 with two goals in the final ten minutes. It was a totally deserved victory and as Daggers manager Wayne Burnett simply said to Adam Murray afterwards: “you were better than us”. The first half was quite even and it could have been 6-6 at the break, instead of 3-2 to the home side. But the second half was different as Mansfield produced 45 minutes of almost complete domination, indeed one of the most dominant halves of football by the Stags that I can remember, apart from two great shots by Jamie Cureton on the break. Mansfield’s first and last goals are worth a special mention. The first goal was a sensational volley from just outside the box by Mal Benning on 6 minutes, and with his wrong foot, his right foot, as well. Mansfield’s winner, on 86 minutes, was the first goal in a Mansfield shirt by Adi Yussuf and what a time to get it, showing tremendous composure after a little stepover bamboozled the defender and Yussuf slid the ball under the keeper from 7 yards from the right hand side. It was a wonderful moment for Yussuf and for everyone associated with the club. All in all, magnificent entertainment.

Mansfield are up to 6th, and just two points behind the automatic promotion places. Despite today’s three goals conceded by Mansfield, still only Wycombe in League Two have conceded fewer goals.

The game created quite a few interesting stats, and I’ve listed them here.

- This was the first time Mansfield have won at Dagenham, indeed it’s the first time Mansfield have scored at Dagenham.
- Today is the first time Mansfield have come from two goals down to win a game since October 2011, when we came from 2-0 down to beat Alfreton 3-2 at home, with goals from Green, Meikle and Todd.
- Matt Green's penalty scored today came after 92 league games without scoring a penalty (since Clucas vs Hartlepool in October 2013).
- Bizarrely today is Mansfield's first win during the month of October for three years, since October 2012 in our promotion season.
- Back-to-back away wins for Mansfield for the first time since April 2014 (Morecambe and that Hartlepool game).
- The first time Mansfield have scored four goals away since 4-2 at Hartlepool in March 2014.
- Mansfield’s last 4-3 away win was in November 2005 at Rotherham in the FA Cup, with two late goals from Richie Barker.
- Mansfield have won four away games this season, one more than the whole of last season.


Saturday, October 3 2015: Dagenham & Redbridge 3, Mansfield Town 4
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Two goals in the final nine minutes saw Mansfield Town snatch a breathtaking 4-3 away win in an absolute thriller at League Two strugglers Dagenham & Redbridge this afternoon.

Krystian Pearce headed home an 81st minute equaliser to finally make it 3-3 in an end-to-end affair before sub Adi Yussuf’s first League goal four minutes from time sewed up Stags’ second away win in five days and their first back-to-back wins this season.


An amazing first half had seen Mansfield go in trailing 3-2 in an end-to-end 45 minutes that could have ended up 6-6 as both sides served up a goals treat in the East London sunshine.

Mal Benning volleyed Stags into a spectacular sixth minute lead, but Matt McClure levelled within three minutes.

Mansfield were then rocked by two goals in three minutes by Ashley Chambers on 30 and 32 minutes, but bit back from the spot on 37 minutes through Matt Green.

It was Stags’ first penalty success in 104 games, going back to October 2013!

Ryan Tafazolli and Craig Westcarr both wasted gilt-edges chances while home keeper Liam O’Brian also made two key saves as it seemed the Daggers might chalk up their first home win of the campaign.

The second half saw Stags pushing forwards almost continually though Brian Jensen did have one big save to make from a counter-attack.

But Mansfield saved the best for last as they struck twice to finally wrap up the points to move up to sixth in League Two.

Mitch Rose was made to wait for his first team return as boss Adam Murray kept an unchanged side.

Rose missed the midweek 2-0 win at Stevenage - described by Murray as the ‘perfect away performance’ - with a one-game suspension.

But Jamie McGuire came in and did a superb job in his absence and was rewarded by keeping the shirt, turning in another gutsy display.

Mansfield made a bright start to the game and were rewarded with a spectacular opening goal after just six minutes.

Dagenham half-cleared a right wing cross out towards Benning just outside the box, and he met it with a searing right-foot volley that almost burst the net as it zipped into the top left corner, giving O’Brien no chance.

Soon after Jack Thomas flicked a header on target from a Hunt cross, but it was at the keeper.

However, with their first attack of the day, the Daggers were level after nine minutes.

McClure took possession just outside the box, looked up and hesitatnt defending allowed him to drill a low finish inside the right hand post.

Four minutes later Tafazolli wasted a golden chance to restore Mansfield’s advantage.

Chapman floated in a corner from the left and Tafazolli was left completely unmarked in the centre from six yards but failed to keep his header down, the ball flying over the bar.

Then Green was too high with an acrobatic volley as a Westcarr cross was partially cleared.

The home side made another rare foray forward on 18 minutes as Ferdinand rose highest over Tafazolli to send a header well over from a left wing cross.

Suddenly the home side were getting a foothold in the game and on 20 minutes Jones went down the right and put in a dangerous cross that McGuire, in trying to block, sliced against his own bar.

The ball was rolled back into the path of the incoming Chambers who swung a boot but completely missed the ball at the vital moment.

Connors was booked on 27 minutes for flying in on a tackle on Westcarr.

Benning put the free kick over to the far post from the left and Tafazolli met it with a well-placed downward header that O’Brien did brilliantly to block at the foot of the post.

Mansfield looked like they were slowly getting back on top, but two home goals in three minutes left Mansfield on the ropes.

On the half-hour Boucaud sent a fabulous through ball into the box for Chambers to chase. He got there, sidestepped a sliding block by Tafazolli and then went inside Benning before slotting a finish beyond Jensen.

Two minutes later a long Connors through ball saw Chambers outpace Tafazolli in the box and nick the ball past the advancing Jensen.

Mansfield needed a quick reply, and it came on 37 minutes from Green.

The striker won the penalty himself as he tried to turn in between Connors and Dikamona and they sandwiched him, Green quickly going down.

His penalty kick was far from the best, having already missed one this season, but they all count. It wasn’t well struck but managed to find its way under the dive of the keeper straight down the middle.

Immediately Murray sent on Yussuf for Jack Thomas, Westcarr moving into midfield.

On 45 minutes the Stags wasted another great opportunity.

This time Yussuf showed quality in turning his man by the corner flag to get over a great cross. Westcarr rose seven yards out unchallenged, but sent his header over.

Luckily for Mansfield, Dagenham were just as wasteful as entered three added minutes, Chambers crossing from the right, Hemmings running in to plant a free header over.

At the other end McGuire was too high after a good series of passes and, seconds before the whistle, Green turned 25 yards out and sent on a low shot that O’Brien turned round, scrambling away to his right.

McClure ended the half limping and rubbing the back of his leg as if he had pulled a muscle.

Indeed, he failed to reappear, veteran goal ace Cureton taking over up front.

Within three minutes O’Brien had made another important save as Yussuf played the ball to his left to Lambe, who bundled a shot on target that the keeper pushed away.

Tafazolli and Westcarr had efforts blocked as Stags continued their good start to the second half.

And they thought they had been rewarded with an equaliser on 52 minutes when Green got on the end of a Tafazolli flick at the far post to help the ball over the line only to see an offside flag raised.

Tafazolli headed a Benning free kick wide at the far post on 65 minutes.

It was all Mansfield with Jensen a spectator almost the whole half.

But he was called upon to make a superb save on 69 minutes as Dagenham produced a counter attack which saw Cureton sneak in behind Tafazolli and curl a finish towards the top corner that Jensen reached up and tipped over superbly.

With 15 minutes to go Stags made another change as Nathan Thomas took over from Westcarr.

Cureton was inches away with a dipping shot on on 79 minutes that bounced just wide of the far post.

However, on 81 minutes Mansfield were finally level. Chapman launched a right wing corner to the far post and Pearce ran at it to bury a rocket header.

Still the thrills were not over and with four minutes to go sub Yussuf grabbed his first ever league goal to put Mansfield ahead.

Yussuf ran at goal in the right of the box, teased a defender and then, from not the best of angles, drilled a powerful low shot under the keeper.

Collins replaced Green with two minutes to go.

Dagenham twice came close with crosses a minute later, Jensen punching one away and watching the other pass inches wide with no one able to get there.

In the three minutes of stoppage time he safely clutched a Hemmings header above his head and Stags were finally home and dry.

DAGENHAM: O’Brien, Connors, Dikamona, Boucaud, McClure (Cureton HT), Chambers, Jones (Doidge 69), Hemmings, Ferdinand, Obileye, Widdowson. Subs not used: Cousins, Nosworthy, Raymond, Hamalainen, Hoyte.

STAGS: Jensen; Hunt, Pearce, Tafazolli, Benning; Lambe, McGuire, Chapman, Jack Thomas (Yussuf 38); Westcarr (Nathan Thomas 75); Green (Collins 88). Subs not used: Shearer, Rose, Beardsley, Blair.

REFEREE: Brendan Malone of Wiltshire.

ATTENDANCE: 1,597 (193 away).



MATCH ANALYSIS: Dagenham & Redbridge 3, Mansfield Town 4
chad.co.uk, by John Lomas, Monday 05 October 2015

Not even in London’s West End do you get drama as thrilling as Mansfield Town’s rollercoaster victory in the East End on Saturday.

Agatha Christie would have difficulty writing in as many twists and turns to the plot as we got, the story thankfully having a happy ending as Adi Yussuf took centre stage in the finale with the winning goal - his first in the Football League.


After the game boss Adam Murray revealed the players had come back out motivated by a dressing room row which saw various players having to be separated as they argued over who was to blame which he said showed how much they care.

Mansfield arrived with the third meanest defence in the Football League, grabbed an early lead, then conceded three goals before scoring a penalty in the League for the first time in 93 games two years before.

Then, just when it seemed the struggling Daggers would hold on for the win, two late goals saw the pendulum swing for Mansfield as they won at Dagenham for the first time.

They hadn’t even scored there before so had obviously been saving them up for this one.

The game also represented Mansfield’s fourth away win of the season, already one more than the whole of last season.

It was the first time Mansfield have come from two goals down to win a game since October 2011, when they beat Alfreton 3-2 at home, Stags’ first win during the month of October for three years, and the first back-to-back away wins since April 2014.

The first time Mansfield scored four goals away was in the 4-2 win at Hartlepool in March 2014 and the Stags’ last 4-3 away win was in November 2005 at Rotherham.

But this was a win that put Mansfield back up into the play-offs spots in sixth and, ahead of two home games on the bounce, represents a significant opportunity.

An amazing first half had seen Mansfield go in trailing 3-2 in an end-to-end 45 minutes that could have ended up 6-6.

Left back Mal Benning volleyed Stags into a spectacular sixth minute lead with his right foot from just outside the box, but Matt McClure levelled within three minutes after no one closed him down on the edge of the box.

Mansfield were then rocked by two goals in three minutes by Ashley Chambers on 30 and 32 minutes, the first after he had left Ryan Tafazolli and Benning on their backsides with desperate blocks, the second after he outpaced Tafazolli to a through ball.

Stags bit back from the spot on 37 minutes through Matt Green, not the most convincing of penalty kicks but one that just beat the dive of the keeper down the middle.

Tafazolli and Craig Westcarr both wasted gilt-edges chances while home keeper Liam O’Brian also made two key saves as it seemed the Daggers might chalk up their first home win of the campaign.

The second half saw Stags pushing forwards almost continually though Brian Jensen did have one big save to make from a counter-attack.

But Mansfield saved the best for last. On 81 minutes Adam Chapman launched a right wing corner to the far post and Krystian Pearce ran at it to bury a rocket header - his first goal for the club.

Still the thrills were not over and with four minutes to go Yussuf ran at goal on the right of the box after Green has battled a defender out the way.

He teased a defender and from a tight angle, drilled a powerful low shot under the keeper for a superb finish to a memorable match.


Match Report: Dagenham and Redbridge 3 Mansfield Town 4

Daggers miss out in a seven goal thriller as Mansfield Town came from two goals down to win.
A hard defeat for Dagenham & Redbridge after they came close to getting their first home win of the Season, but were denied by Mansfield Town who managed to score two in the last ten minutes making it 3-4 win away.

It was not a great start for the Daggers as the Stags took the lead in the sixth minute, left back Malvind Benning volleyed the ball from outside the box with his right foot and ended up going into the top left hand corner.

The Daggers then responded quickly with a goal from Matt McClure as he had a left footed shot from outside the box and found the back of the net.

The home side then took the lead on the half hour mark, Boucaud with great vision to find Chambers who controlled the ball in the area, dragged the ball back and aimed it for the bottom corner of the goal to make it 2-1 to the Daggers.

Five minutes later, Chambers scored his second and gave the Daggers a two goal cushion after another great ball but this time from Jack Connors.

The visitors got one back after a penalty was given as Clevid Diakamona fouled Green in the penalty area.

Green then stepped up to take the penalty and O’Brien was very close to saving his second penalty in two games, however it went over the line and it was 3-2 to the Daggers at half time.

Mansfield Town came close to getting the equaliser in the 52nd minute however the flag was up and given as offside.

Jamie Cureton came close to scoring the sixth goal of the game, after his curling shot was well saved by Brain Jensen in the 69th minute.

10 minutes left of the game and the Daggers conceded a corner, Adam Chapman took it and found the head of Kyrstian Pearce, who got the equaliser for the visiting team.

The Stags took the lead once again with only five minutes left till end of the match, after Adi Yussuf took on Dikamona, ran into the area and slotted the ball under O'Brien.

Daggers: O’brien, Connors, Dikamona, Boucaud (Capt), McClure (Cureton 45), Chambers, Jones (Doidge 69), Hemmings, Ferdinand, Obileye, Widdowson.
Unused Subs: Cousins, Nosworthy, Raymond, Hamalainen, Hoyte

Referee: Brendan Malone

Attendance: 1,597


Dagenham & Redbridge blow two goal lead in loss
Ned Keating at Victoria Road


Dagenham & Redbridge fluffed the chance of a first home win this season in a disappointing defeat against Mansfield Town. Things had looked good for the hosts at the break having struck three times in the first half.
And they held the lead until the final 10 minutes when the visitors struck twice to break home hearts. Just one change was made from the draw with Notts County on Tuesday and it was hardly a surprising one.
Ashley Chambers started from the off against the Stags after coming on at half time in midweek, with the hosts switching to a 4-2-3-1 in the process. But the changes did not affect Daggers’ chances of success positively in the opening minutes, with Mansfield going ahead inside the first 10. A cross into the box was headed to left back Malvind Benning 20 yards out, who volleyed it in to the top corner of the net. If the hosts were looking for a quick response, they got it inside two minutes with McClure levelling things up. Chambers, who looked to be charged with being a creative outlet, passed to the striker who found himself in acres of room to the left of the goal. McClure decided to chance his arm by going for goal but caught Brian Jensen off guard who saw the ball trickle into the back of the net. But as quickly as they drew level, Daggers could have again fallen behind with Ryan Tafazoli gifted a free header six yards out that he could only put over the bar.
Ten minutes later, though, the hosts were almost gifted a second of the afternoon following a cross from Jodi Jones. Jones put the ball in from the right and almost saw it go in off Jamie Maguire but the ball instead looped onto the crossbar. The ball then fell to Ashley Hemmings who squared it to Chambers but unfortunately the attacker missed it completely and the chance was gone. If Tafazoli’s earlier header had been a warning sign, then Dagenham didn’t heed it as he went close again. The defender was found after a free into the box only a couple of yards down and would have headed home were it not for a miraculous save from Liam O’Brien.
It proved a costly miss as Daggers did find a second with 15 minutes remaining in the half. Andre Boucaud moved forward with the ball before slotting to Chambers who was just inside the box. Chambers dragged the ball back, went for goal and was thankful for a deflection which took it past Jensen.
And Chambers was quickly at the double when he had his second just two minutes later. The attacker got the other side of Tafazoli to reach a ball forward and bore down on goal. Chambers showed fantastic composure to poke past Jensen and send the home support into raptures. That joy was short lived, however, when Clevid Dikamona tripped Matt Green in the box with just under 10 minutes until half time. Green then dusted himself to take the spot kick, which just about squirmed under O’Brien and into the net. With the match in stoppage time, Daggers perhaps could have had a fourth through Hemmings but he could only put his free header from a free kick over the bar.
Mansfield had started brightly after the break, with O’Brien getting down low to keep out Lambe, when the visitors thought they had pulled level in the 52nd minute. Green had bundled the ball into the back of the net after something of a scramble, only to see the assistant flagging for offside.
The game then stagnated for a while until the 69th minute when half time replacement Jamie Cureton went close. Hemmings played it forward to Chambers, who in turn laid it off to Cureton who curled it towards goal only to Jensen palm it away. Cureton again went close with just over 10 minutes remaining, going for an audacious lobbed half volley that went just wide of the right post. It proved a vital miss as in the 81st minute the Stags drew level through a bullet header from Krystian Pearce. Mansfield then went in search of a fourth to move ahead and found it through Adi Yusuff with four minutes remaining, passing the ball past O’Brien.
And in the end that was enough to consign Daggers fans to a longer wait for that elusive first home win.
Daggers: O’Brien; Connors, Dikamona, Obileye, Widdowson; Boucaud, Ferdinand; Jones (Doidge 69), Chambers, Hemmings; McClure (Cureton 46). Unused subs: Cousins, Nosworthy, Raymond, Hamalainen.
Attendance: 1,597 (including 193 Mansfield fans)
Referee: Brendan Malone



Latest | October 2015