{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2015

10th April 2015 21:08

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 1 Shrewsbury Town
Barnett 50.
Attendance: 3108 (765 from Shrewsbury)

Date: 6 April 2015

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town put in a very good performance against second-placed Shrewsbury at Field Mill today but were beaten by a lucky goal just after half-time, Shrewsbury’s only scoring chance of the entire afternoon. The Stags more than matched Shrewsbury through the entire game and there were some fine performances throughout the side with Jack Thomas and Jamie McGuire both excellent in midfield and Martin Riley excellent at the back, and they deserved so much more. The first half was fairly even with the Stags more than holding their own without creating many chances. The Stags’ best chances were a couple of shots from Jack Thomas. Shrewsbury created nothing resembling a chance. Shrewsbury went in front on 50 minutes with a fluke. Mark Ellis crossed from the right, it looped up off Reggie Lambe, over Pidgeley to Tyrone Barnett who bundled it in at the far post under pressure from Ritchie Sutton. If I’m going to be hyper-critical, possibly Sutton could have done better against Barnett, but Pidgeley had no chance. It was a bitter pill for the Stags and turned out to be the Shrews’ only chance of the game. On 64 minutes, the Stags should have had a penalty: Vadaine Oliver muscled his way past Grandison into the area, Grandison went to ground and bundled Oliver down making no effort to get the ball. In my opinion, and having looked at it again on the video, it was a penalty but the referee decided it wasn’t. Sutton was booked for protesting. The situation is getting unbelievable now: Mansfield have not had a penalty since November 2013 yet have had several good shouts in recent games. That is 68 league games or 76 league+cup games without a penalty. Mansfield were on top and got lots of balls into the box with Matt Rhead winning headers to create dangerous positions but no-one could get the vital touch. The best chance fell to Rakish Bingham who had a clear sight of goal from a Rhead knock-down by scuffed his shot. Clements also had a good chance but fired wide. At the final whistle, despite the huge disappointment of defeat, most fans stood and applauded a fine performance (at least those around me in the West Stand). The Stags certainly deserved a point and probably deserved all three. The bottom three clubs all lost (Cheltenham and Tranmere as a result of late penalties, so that was at least some good news on the penalty front!), so Mansfield remain 8 points above Cheltenham, 6 ahead of Tranmere, and 5 ahead of Hartlepool, with 5 games to play. The Stags have another difficult game at play-off chasing Plymouth on Saturday. With the same grit as shown here, again keeping errors down to a minimum, and perhaps for a change with a little slice of luck, the Stags can get something from the game. Come on Mansfield!

Report in the Match Centre


Easter Monday, 6th April 2015: Mansfield Town 0, Shrewsbury Town 1
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield Town’s luck was out again today as they produced a superb performance, only to be pipped 1-0 by a deflected effort that put visiting Shrewsbury Town top of the table.


The Stags gave their all against high quality opposition, who had just reeled off four straight wins, in a game of few opportunities at either end.

But the visitors defended for their lives and stole the points five minutes after the break as a Mark Ellis cross from the right deflected up and over Lenny Pidgeley with interval sub Tyrone Barnett on hand on the line to make sure.

It was a sickening blow that left Mansfield suffering a fourth defeat in a row and they remain in relegation trouble with just five games left.

It doesn’t get any easier with a long haul to promotion-chasing Plymouth Argyle next on the fixture list.

The Stags made two midfield changes as Jamie McGuire and Jack Thomas came in for Simon Heslop and the injured Ricky Ravenhill.

The pair proved the best players on the pitch with Thomas twice coming close to a goal and McGuire soldiering on with an ankle knock with some heroic tackling.

Before the kick-off we had an emotional minute’s applause for Stags super-fan Chris Taylor, who passed away last week.

Shrewsbury, roared on by 765 fans, were then first to threaten as Goldson powered a cross in front of goal from the right by-line, too hard for anyone to get there in time.

Thomas was lectured for a challenge in which he stretched for a tackle and left Goldson screaming in agony and trying his best to get Thomas dismissed.

A poor header away by Riley offered Collins a shooting chance on the edge of the box on 12 minutes, but he miscued it and failed to test Pidgeley.

As the game entered a but of a lull, Thomas got the home fans excited again when he won the ball and burst down the left. But the visitors held firm and the pressure lost when Sutton was penalised for a push.

Beevers headed away a dangerous Woods cross on 23 minutes and Stags then defended the first corner of the game.

Riley headed well over from a Hawkridge free kick two minutes later, seconds later Lambe tried to get Thomas away down the centre, but his attempted lob was too high.

Ellis sent a poor clearance straight to Thomas, but his snapshot was blocked.

A loose pass from Thomas gave Shrewsbury the chance to launch a quick break until McGuire steamed in with a fantastic tackle that left him needing treatment.

Oliver headed clear a Grant free kick sparking a home break that petered out with a corner, easily caught by Leutwiler.

The visitors were furious when Sutton’s leg knocked the ball in the direction of Pidgeley and he picked it up, the referee deciding no backpass.

Stags’ second corner of the game came to nothing.

But on 39 minutes Clements picked out Thomas, who tried his luck from 35 yards and forced Leutwiler into a save, down to his left.

The Shrews replied with their second corner on 42 minutes, Oliver again heading clear.

Four minutes were added, but the sides went in at 0-0 at the end of a tight, enthralling half.

Akpa Akpro was replaced up front by Barnett for the second half for Shrewsbury.

Oliver’s persistence in the box won the home side an early corner which Ellis headed away.

But the home side went behind on 50 minutes in cruel circumstances as the half-time sub made an immediate impact.

Ellis tried to hook in a cross from the right of the box which deflected up and over Pidgeley, sub Barnett making sure it crossed the line from close range.

After 54 minutes we had a change of referee which saw a lengthy break.

The new referee’s first decision was against Thomas to the fury of the Stags and home crowd, who felt he was pushed in the back.

Rhead replaced Hawkridge on 61 minutes as Murray made his first change.

Oliver and Grandison went shoulder to shoulder in the box and Oliver went down, but Stags have not had a penalty given in about 75 games and the run went on.

Sutton was booked for his protests on 65 minutes.

McGuire produced another superb saving tackle on 66 minutes as Barnett burst into the box.

A great interception and burst of pace from Elder promised much only for Oliver to be caught straying offside.

On 72 minutes Clements flashed a shot over the near angle from a Thomas pass as the home side kept up the pressure.

The replacement referee was not endearing himself to the home side as he let the visitors get away with a couple of late challenges to no real advantage.

The visitors sent on quality striker Mangan for Collins on 76 minutes while Stags kept Oliver on the field, despite him looking in a lot of pain, holding his arm.

Woods was booked for his trip on Thomas on 79 minutes, the free kick cleared back out to Thomas who blazed well over from 18 yards.

Riley was lucky when he seemed to control the ball with an arm as he edged forward in the box.

Goldson was booked for a body check on the advancing Lambe on 82 minutes.

On 83 minutes Bingham replaced McGuire and two minutes later miscued right in front of goal from a Rhead flick as a chance perhaps came too soon for him.

On 85 minutes Fisher replaced Oliver in Murray’s last throw of the dice, four players now up front.

Eight minutes were added to guarantee a tense and thrilling finish. After two of those Barnett was booked for kicking the ball away.

But the visitors clung on to what they had and Mansfield’s afternoon ended in frustration after one of their best displays of the season.

STAGS: Pidgeley; Beevers, Sutton, Riley, Elder; McGuire (Bingham 83), Clements, Thomas; Lambe, Oliver, Hawkridge (Rhead 61). Subs not used: Studer, Tafazolli, Fisher, Heslop, Fitzpatrick.

SHREWSBURY: Leutwiler, Grandison, Demetriou, Woods, Ellis, Goldson, Collins (Mangan 76), Lawrence, Gayle, Grant (Sharpe 90+5), Akpa Akpro (Barnett HT). Subs not used: Halstead, Vernon, Southern, Mandron.

REFEREE: Tim Robinson of West Sussex.

ATTENDANCE: 3,108 (765 away).



Town v Mansfield Town
report from shrewsburytown.com
Read more at http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/article/town-v-mansfield-town-2378683.aspx#gRhxkYvGSECEJY0s.99

Another important 3 pts for Town with Barnett getting the all important goal that takes Town top of the table

Town: 1 Jayson Leutwiler, 2 Jermaine Grandison, 3 Mickey Demetriou, 4 Ryan Woods, 5 Mark Ellis, 6 Connor Goldson, 9 James Collins (19 Andy Mangan 75), 11 Liam Lawrence, 12 Cameron Gayle, 24 Bobby Grant, 26 Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro (23 Tyrone Barnett 46)

Subs: 21 Mark Halstead, 10 Scott Vernon, 16 Keith Southern, 22 Jordan Clark, 28 Mikael Mandron

Mansfield Town: Lenny Pidgley, Richie Sutton, Martin Riley, Jamie McGuire, Reggie Lambe, Lee Beavers, Jack Thomas, Vadaine Oliver, Callum Elder, Chris Clements, Terry Hawkridge ( Matt Rhead 61)

Subs: Sascha Studer, Ryan Tafazolli, Alex Fisher, Rakish Bingham, Simon Heslop, Joe Fitzpatrick

Ref: Tim Robinson
Assistants: Nicholas Gibbons and Paul Marsden
Fourth Official: Stephen Wade

Attendance: 3108 (with 765 from Town)

Micky Mellon sticks with the same side that beat Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0 on Friday, the only change is on the bench with Rhys Sharpe recovering from the should injury that kept him out of the game.

The opening exchanges had little in the way of excitement with both sides looking to get to grips with each. There were different styles from both with Mansfield going a little more direct while Town tried to stick to their passing game.

There was little to talk about in the game with not much excitement around either penalty area. Town were making a number of simple mistakes which was giving possession back to the home side and was giving the Stags fans something to shout about.

Town were a little below par in the first half and their performance seemed to lack the tempo of recent games. It was a case of the ball going into the forwards but it wasn't sticking, and if it was then there was little in the way of support to build an attack.

All in all a 45 minutes of football that Town will forget about quick quickly and the focus moves onto the next 45 minutes. Not much in the way of shots on target at each end or saves from either keeper.

Half-time: 0-0

There was a hearts in mouth moment for Town after the restart when Goldson loops a header up and Oliver breaks in to the Town box but Ellis there with well timed challenge to concede the corner.

Town edged it with two minutes of the half gone, the defence combined well with Demetriou to Grandison, he switched it to Ellis who remained patient looking for the opening, he then looped a cross to the back post and Barnett got up well to attack it and turned it home to give Town the lead 1-0.

There was a break in play when ref Robinson went across to the fourth official indicating that he wasn't able to carry on, after a little while Stephen Wade took over the whistle and took charge of the game.

There was a big shout from the home crowd for a penalty when Grandison mistimed a header and it dropped in behind, he went for it shoulder to shoulder with Oliver and the Stags player went to ground, but ref Wade who had a good view of it saw nothing wrong and waved play on.

The game had once again got scrappy with both sides making mistakes and neither were keeping the ball for any length of time.

Mansfield has thrown everyone up front and were playing with four in their forward line and were looking to get the ball into them early. Town were doing well though to deal with this and with a lot of space in the Mansfield midfield there was the chance for the quick counter attack.

The home side were throwing all the had at Town with high balls into the five who had stayed up front for the Stags, but Town were doing all they could to keep them at bay and do the work to keep them out. With 8 minutes of the added time if seemed an eternity for Town to keep going and earn another important 3 points that took them top of the table for now.

Full-time: 1-0


Mansfield 0 Town 1 - Report and pictures
Shrewsbury Town made it five straight victories in League Two with a hard-fought 1-0 win over hosts Mansfield.
report from shropshirestar.com

A goal from Tyrone Barnett, just minutes after the striker had been introduced as a half-time sub, secured another crucial win for Micky Mellon’s side.


In a game where they were far from their free-flowing best, Town’s defence withstood heavy pressure in the second-half but held on to record their 24th clean sheet of the season.

Despite having two games in four days over the Easter break, boss Mellon decided to keep faith with the team that secured the 2-0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge on Good Friday.

It meant Town lined up in their preferred 3-5-2 system, with skipper Liam Lawrence starting in central midfield against the club who handed him his professional debut 16 years ago.

Full of confidence following four straight victories, Shrewsbury came flying out of the traps and almost opened the scoring inside the first two minutes.

A free-kick from the left made its way across the box and to the back post, where Connor Goldson took a touch before smashing a half-volley across the face of goal.

The early stages were proving to be fairly even with Mansfield passing the ball around well but with Shrewsbury having the greater attacking threat.

And the away side’s positivity was almost rewarded when goalkeeper Lenny Pidgeley dallied following a long ball over the top.

The goalkeeper then had to produce a Cryuff-like turn to escape the striker’s attentions.

Determined to get a foothold on the game, Mansfield worked their first clear opening mid-way through the first-half.

A long punt forward saw Jack Thomas race clear, but the midfielder fired over under pressure from Jermaine Grandison.

Buoyed by the move, the Stags started to pile forward with Thomas seeing a low strike from the edge of the box blocked by Goldson.

Salop supporters began a round of applause in the 35th minute in an emotional tribute to late Shrewsbury fan Nick Mann.

And Town’s players responded on the pitch by regaining the initiative and forcing a number of free-kicks around the Mansfield box.

However, the first-half petered to a close with neither goalkeeper having been truly tested following an evenly contested 45 minutes.

Clearly unhappy with his charges, Mellon made his first substitution at the break and switched Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro for Tyrone Barnett.

And the change proved to be an inspired one with the former Peterborough striker breaking the deadlock just five minutes later.

A Mark Ellis cross from the right took a huge deflection and looped up and over Pidgeley with Barnett on hand to bundle the ball home from close range.

After referee Tim Robinson was forced to make way through injury, Mansfield boss Adam Murray made his first change - swapping Terry Hawkridge for Matt Rhead.

The move saw the Stags switch from a 4-1-4-1 formation to a 4-3-3 with the change looking to be a positive one with the home fans calling for a penalty minutes later.

A cross into the box saw Jermaine Grandison mistime a header with the defender then out muscling Vadaine Oliver who took a tumble in the box.

But with the home supporters roaring for their first spot kick since November 2013, the new referee waved away the protests much to the anger of everyone on the Stags bench.

In glorious sunshine, the momentum was now with the home side and they should have equalised when some neat build-up play saw the ball worked to Chris Clements in the box, but he screwed his shot wide.

Mellon responded by introducing Andy Mangan for Collins with 15 minutes left to play.

But it was the home side who were continuing to press, with both Ryan Woods and Goldson picking up yellow cards in quick succession as they looked to stop the Stags from coming forward.

And, with five minutes remaining, Mansfield were presented with a glorious chance to get back on level terms.

A Rhead flick sat up perfectly for fellow substitute Rakish Bingham who had found himself in space after getting in-between Town’s centre-backs.

But despite having time to steady himself, the striker could only scuff a shot at goal from 12-yards which was comfortably claimed by Jayson Leutwiler.

Town were now having to withstand heavy pressure as the fourth-official indicated eight minutes of stoppage time.

But despite enjoying the lion’s share of possession, Mansfield were unable to truly test Leutwiler and Town held on for a vital three points and a 24th clean sheet of the season.



Latest | April 2015