{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2015

4th April 2015 18:52

31st March 2015


Liam Hearn @Hearnz10
Nice to get another 45 under my belt and get on the score sheet.. #progress

Mansfield Town FC @mansfieldtownfc
Team: Studer, Marsden, Sanders, Shires, Green, Fitzpatrick, Spencer, Gibson, Dwyer, Hearn, Fisher. #stags
Subs: Bishop, Thomson, Hutchinson, Fletcher. #stags
15 - GOALLLLLLL! The hitman is back! @Hearnz10 finds the target with a low 25-yard free-kick. The first chance of the game! 1-0.
HT change for the Stags with Fletcher coming on in place of Hearn.
61 - Double change for Stags. Hutchinson, Thomson ON. Fisher, Fitzpatrick OFF. Still 1-1.


Iron come back to beat reserves
mansfieldtown.net, 31st March 2015

Second-string slip to 3-1 defeat to Scunthorpe United at Kirklington Road.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/iron-come-back-to-beat-reserves-2368581.aspx#k1CFuU6qSKsomzDk.99

Our reserve team slipped to a 3-1 defeat against Scunthorpe United in gale-force winds at Kirklington Road.

Things were going well when Liam Hearn opened the scoring on the quarter-hour mark, but two goals by Ryan Brobbel and a powerful set-piece effort from Dave Syers in the second half saw the visitors fight back to take the points.

Swirling winds made conditions extremely difficult for both sides, but Mansfield began the stronger as they looked to establish an early advantage.

The Stags made a breakthrough with the first chance of the game on the quarter-hour mark when Liam Hearn, on his first start since recovering from a knee injury, let fly with a 25-yard free-kick which bounced up and beat the dive of the visiting ‘keeper.

Hearn looked hungry, sharp and energetic throughout his 45-minute appearance and soon found himself in a good position again when he latched onto a long ball over the top.

Despite being clattered into by the Scunthorpe ‘keeper inside the area, no penalty was forthcoming and the referee waved play on - much to Hearn’s dismay.

The striker was causing the visitors all sorts of problems and went close again three minutes later when he showed good timing to latch onto a well-weighted pass by Chris Spencer, but his effort was tipped wide by the ‘keeper.

Mansfield remained on top in terms of possession, but couldn’t carve out any more chances as they held a one-goal cushion going into the half-time break.

The swirling winds didn’t ease in the second half and, if anything, they got worse.

Nine minutes after the re-start, Scunthorpe got back on level terms when Dave Syers’ let fly with a powerful free-kick from the edge of the area which gave Swiss goalkeeper Sascha Studer no chance whatsoever.

Mansfield responded to the Iron’s equaliser by almost re-taking the lead as Alex Fisher got on the end of a cross with his head and forced the opposing ‘keeper into a smart first-time stop.

Over the next few minutes, proceedings were quite tight with neither team being able to gain full control and the wind continuing to cause no end of problems.

On 72 minutes, however, Scunny re-took the lead thanks to Ryan Brobbel, who saw his powerful strike from the edge of the area beat Studer at his right-hand post.

The Stags pressed hard for an equaliser with the lively Anthony Dwyer twice going close, but on the brink of injury-time they were caught on the break.

Levi Sutton was foiled by Studer, but Brobbel was on-hand to poke home the rebound from two yards out and give Scunthorpe a 3-1 victory.



Latest | April 2015