{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2015

18th March 2015 23:38

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 1 Bury
Cameron 21
Attendance: 2868 (411 from Bury)

Date: 14 March 2015

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town put in a disappointing performance to lose 1-0 at home to high-flying Bury this afternoon, thanks to a headed goal from a free-kick. The Stags rarely threatened the Bury goal with Reggie Lambe’s shot from 6 yards saved by the goalkeeper’s legs the closest they came to an equaliser. It was a bad day at the office and the Stags need to bounce back at home to AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday.

full report in the Match Centre


Saturday, 14th March 2015: Mansfield Town 0, Bury 1
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

A scrappy game was settled by a scrappy own goal as promotion-chasing Bury took all three points home from the One Call Stadium with a 1-0 win this afternoon.


Mansfield Town had gone five unbeaten at home, but today failed to find any sort of rhythm, and were sunk on 21 minutes when Chris Hussey’s left wing free kick went inside the far post off Ryan Tafazolli and Nathan Cameron.

Tafazolli was credited with an own goal, though the Stags later claimed the match DVD showed it to be Cameron’s goal.

The Stags were relieved when debut-making Tom eaves had a goal ruled out for offside on 36 minutes.

With both sides closing each other down in energetic fashion, both keepers were rarely troubled, though Nick Pope did have to make sure a long range Jack Thomas shot didn’t bounce over him just before the break with a last gasp tip-over.

Pope did make a good save with his legs to deny Reggie Lambe from six yards on 66 minutes - Stags’ best moment.

But on a freezing cold afternoon, there was little to warm the home fans as Bury had just enough class to edge home in the end.

However, even without hitting a higher gear, the Stags matched the Shakers better than they had in the 4-1 home hammering last season and 2-0 defeat at Gigg Lane just after Christmas.

And Tuesday’s home clash with AFC Wimbledon offers an immediate chance to bounce back as they begin the final 10 games of the season countdown still looking for the two or three wins they need to make sure of safety.

The other bonus on the day was that other results meant they kept the eight point gap from the bottom two, despite losing.

Mansfield sprang a surprise when ‘injured’ winger Junior Brown was named in the side to face Bury at One Call Stadium.

Manager Adam Murray had said on Thursday that Brown damaged his hamstring at Cheltenham last weekend and was unlikely to figure in either of this week’s home games.

But Brown was named today in a side showing one change with youngster Jack Thomas replacing Simon Heslop in midfield.

Bury gave a debut to Bolton striker Tom Eaves, who they signed on loan last night, and he had an immaculate afternoon looking big, strong and mobile.

Tafazolli gave the ball away straight from kick off, but Eaves’ first touch saw the ball run to Pidgeley.

A frantic start saw Elder win a corner on six minutes, Pope confidently claiming it at the far post.

He also grabbed a Beevers cross at full stretch with Clements challenging.

On 14 minutes Adams floated in a free kick that saw Cameron out-jump Tafazolli but nod harmlessly over.

Bury were finally getting out of their own half after easily soaking up all Stags could throw at them in the first 15 minutes.

On17 minutes they won their first corner on the right, taken by Hussey, it was eventually claimed by Pidgeley after a couple of headed challenges.

But Bury swept in front after Ravenhill conceded a free kick just outside the box on the left.

Hussey arrowed a kick through a crowded box, clipping players from both sides before it ended up finding its way just inside the far post.

Cameron claimed it, though the goal was put down as a Tafazolli own goal at the time. Doubtless it will be settled by Monday.

Stags’ reply was a speculative Brown effort from 25 yards, on target but easy for Pope.

Riley then pulled a low shot wide at the other end as the game began to hot up.

Another Tafazolli error saw him stumbled in possession and cough up the ball to Eaves, but an offside flag spared any blushes.

Mansfield’s second corner on 29 minutes was easily headed clear.

Brown forced a third on 32 minutes, which was also cleared.

Thomas put the ball back in and Brown jumped well to win it in the box, only to be tackled well by McNulty as he eyed up a shot.

Stags had a let-off on 36 minutes as Adams floated the ball to the far post where Eaves buried a volleyed finish high into the net, only see the offside flag up.

Mansfield swept upfield and Beevers was too high from distance with a hopeful effort.

Thomas committed a foul after giving the ball away to earn his fifth booking for the club on 41 minutes.

A series of crunching tackles in the middle of the park ended with Beevers going down off the ball and fingers pointed at Soares.

Brown tried to get Lambe away with a lofted forward ball, but Cameron was strong and defended superbly.

Great footwork by Adams saw him skip past two tackles and fired a low shot inches wide.

In the second of two added minutes, Thomas’ hopeful effort from 30 yards bounced in front of Pope and almost looped up and over him, the keeper turning it over at the last minute for a corner.

Stags went 4-4-2 within four minutes of the restart, Kee joining Oliver up front and Thomas taken off.

Cameron rose at the far post to head a right wing corner back into the mix on 57 minutes, Pidgeley there to reach up and gather.

Tutte then robbed Ravenhill in the middle and ran forward to feed Eaves for a shot at Pidgeley.

Ravenhill hauled down Soares to prevent a Bury break on the hour and earn a booking.

Monakana took over from Brown on 65 minutes.

A minute later Stags were almost level as Oliver’s backheel to the left of the goal set up Lambe for a low six yard finish that Pope did well to block with his legs.

A brilliant turn by the immaculate Eaves took him into the box and it took the combined efforts of Riley and Tafazolli to desperately stop him finishing.

Bury indulged in some time wasting as Cameron went down and asked for treatment when he could have gone off the pitch.

Ordered off he sprinted off to boos from the stands, the referee then holding the game up to more boos while he was looked at, returning with a bandage round his head.

Adams tested Pidgeley from 25 yards on 74 minutes, the ball turned away for the first of two corners.

The Oliver turned to lift a shot at goal that Pope grabbed high above his head. Adams was just over the angle at the other end soon after.

Cameron got in the way of a Kee shot as he turned on a Monakana cross, then Clements had a low 20 yard shot deflect wide as Stags turned up the pressure.

Monakana gave the ball away cheaply as Stags were forced to concede another corner, Beevers eventually hooking clear for a throw.

Bury continued to waste as much time as possible and use gamesmanship to the annoyance of the home fans.

Only four minutes were added, Tutte low and wide in the first minute of those.

At the other end Oliver won the chase for a high ball, but he was well wide of the goal and, although he managed to lift the ball over the advancing Pope, it was always going to bounce wide.

Bury saw out the rest of the minutes in a professional manner to hang on to what they’d got.

STAGS: Pidgeley, Riley, Tafazolli, Ravenhill, Lambe (Bingham 73), Beevers, Thomas (Kee 49), Brown (Monakana 65), Oliver, Elder, Clements. Subs not used: Studer, Sutton, Rhead, Heslop.

BURY: Pope, McNulty, Tutte, Etuhu, Adams (Sedgwick 80), Mayor (Jones 59), Hussey, Eaves (Hope 84), Soares, Riley, Cameron. Subs not used: Lowe, O’Brien, Lainton, Shaw.

REFEREE: Darren Sheldrake of Surrey.

ATTENDANCE: 2,868 (411 away).



VERDICT: Mansfield 0 Bury 1

DAVID Flitcroft has a plan to get Bolton Wanderers striker Tom Eaves firing again after thrusting him straight into the starting line up on Saturday just hours after his season-long loan was finalised.


The 23-year-old target man had a volley ruled out for offside in what was a promising debut, helping his new club pick up a third straight away win to move up to fifth place in the League Two table.

And while the Liverpudlian was not able to notch up his first goal in more than 13 months, Flitcroft is confident he will bring the best out of the former Oldham trainee.

“I have got a plan for Tom Eaves over the next couple of months and I am excited to try to work on that plan,” said Flitcroft, who hopes to rebuild the young forward’s confidence.

Eaves arrives at the JD Stadium without a goal since February 2014 and only three in 45 appearances over the past two seasons.

“You can’t drag goals out of anyone,” added the Bury boss. “The goals come from within. They come from doing your work every day on the training field. They come from belief, they come from people believing in you.

“There are a lot of miles to go before Tom can score consistently. But will he? With the help of myself and my support staff, absolutely.

“I think there is another 30 per cent of power and explosion in there - that’s what we are tasked to find.”

If Eaves took to the pitch lacking in confidence and match fitness, after playing just eight games this season, it did not show.

The 6”3 striker covered a lot of ground up front alone, harrying the Mansfield defenders into making mistakes, while holding up the ball well and linking Bury’s attacking play.

But chances were few and far between in a match that was low on goalmouth action for both sides.

Bury took the lead somewhat fortuitously in the 21st minute when captain Nathan Cameron turned a Chris Hussey free-kick towards goal and Stags defender Ryan Tafazolli helped it on its way as he tried to clear the danger.

Eaves then ghosted in at the back post to finish off a pinpoint cross from Nicky Adams, only for the referee’s assistant to raise his flag.

Adams also flashed a shot wide before the break, but the Shakers never went searching for a second, content to see the game out for a fourth clean sheet and fifth victory in their last six matches.

Mansfield, who have been hard to beat under new manager Adam Murray, were unable to put the visitors under any concerted pressure.

A deflected shot from Chris Clements had Nick Pope backpedalling to tip the high bouncing ball over his bar while the Shakers stopper had to be on his toes to block a close-range Reggie Lambe effort midway through the second half.

But Flitcroft was more than happy with his side’s professional display, which moved them to within four points of the automatic promotion places.

“It was an immaculate performance in terms of going 1-0 up and being disciplined, organised and professional,” he said.

“I thought the way we locked the game down and managed the game out was fantastic.”

BURY (4-1-4-1): Pope 8; Joe Riley 8, Cameron 9, McNulty 8, Hussey 8; Etuhu 7; Adams 8 (Sedgwick 80), Soares 7, Tutte 7, Mayor 6 (Jones 59); Eaves 8 (Hope 84).
Not used: Lowe, O'Brien, Lainton, Shaw.

MANSFIELD (4-1-4-1): Pidgeley; Beevers, Martin Riley, Tafazolli, Elder; Ravenhill; Brown (Monakana 65), Thomas (Kee 50), Clements, Lambe (Bingham 73); Oliver.
Not used: Studer, Sutton, Rhead, Heslop.

Goals: Mansfield 0 Bury 1 (Tafazolli og 21), Yellow cards: Mansfield ¬- Thomas 41, Ravenhill 60. Bury - None.

Referee: Darren Sheldrake. Attendance: 2,868 (visiting 411).

Star man: Nathan Cameron - The fact the 24-year-old skipper seems to have finished so many matches with his head bandaged this season may explain why his displays have been so eye-catching. He certainly shows no fear to put his head, or any part of his body for that matter, where it hurts. Yet again, the former Coventry defender left the field bloodied after leading his side to a fourth clean sheet in their last five matches. The whole back line has to take collective credit for that, but Cameron’s leadership was yet again instrumental.


Shakers win at Mansfield
Author: Michael Henson

Back to winning ways for the Shakers

Bury moved to within four points of 3rd place Shrewsbury after a 1-0 win against Mansfield Town on Saturday afternoon at the One Call Stadium.

Read more at http://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/article/shakers-win-at-mansfield-2334866.aspx#zyLXcoelxgFRk1T0.99

A solitary first half effort from Nathan Cameron was enough to seal the three points as the Shakers closed the gap on the automatic promotion places.

David Flitcroft made two changes to the side that lost against Oxford United last weekend with Jimmy McNulty coming in for the suspended Adam El-Abd and new loan signing Tom Eaves made his debut up front, replacing the injured Danny Rose.

The opening to the game was a fairly quiet one with neither team creating any noteworthy chances as they battled it out to gain a foothold on the game.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 20th minute as Nathan Cameron headed in his fourth goal of the season. Chris Hussey whipped a free kick into the box that was flicked on by Jimmy McNulty and Cameron applied the finish from close range, despite being under pressure by Ryan Tafazolli.

The Shakers had a chance to double their lead sixteen minutes later but were denied by the offside flag. Nicky Adams played an inch perfect cross to the back post for Tom Eaves to hammer home but, as he wheeled away to celebrate, the linesman’s flag was raised and the goal was ruled out for offside.

As the first half neared completion Jimmy McNulty made a good challenge in the area to prevent former Bury trialist Junior Brown getting an effort away at goal before Mansfield midfielder Jack Thomas picked up the first yellow card of the game for pulling back Andrew Tutte.

Two minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the first half and it was at that moment that Nick Pope was forced into his first real save of the game. Jack Thomas’ 30 yard effort spiralled into the air and bounced just before the Charlton loanee, who reacted well to tip the ball over the bar.

The second forty-five minutes had a similar start to the first with neither team troubling the other team’s goalkeeper in the opening twenty minutes or so.

Nick Pope was called into action in the 66th minute as he produced a smart save to deny winger Reggie Lambe. Vadaine Oliver backheeled for Lambe to latch onto and Pope made himself big before denying the former Toronto FC midfielder with his legs and the danger was cleared.

The away side reacted positively to the Mansfield chance and created one of their own ten minutes later. Nicky Adams burst forward from the halfway line before unleashing a powerful shot that Mansfield goalkeeper Lenny Pidgeley into a one handed save.

David Flitcroft introduced Hallam Hope to the game with seven minutes left as he replaced Tom Eaves for his first appearance since in nearly a month.

Bury were looking comfortable in the latter stages and were consistently keeping Mansfield away from Nick Pope's area.

Four minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and the Shakers had one final chance to add another goal. Tom Soares played in Andrew Tutte but he lost his footing as he struck the ball and it went the wrong side of Lenny Pidgeley's post.

The game was brought to an end moments after the chance to secure Bury's fifth win in six games ahead of Tuesday's match away at York City.


Sarah Clapson @Sarah_Clapson
Best stadium announcement ever.... "If anyone finds a set of keys they are the Bury bus driver's!" Brilliant!



Latest | March 2015