{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2015

6th March 2015 18:38

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Newport County 0 - 1 Mansfield Town
Lambe 87
Attendance: 2,481 (65 from Mansfield)

Date: 3 March 2015

Martin Shaw at Rodney Parade

Mansfield Town pulled off a stunning 1-0 victory at 7th placed Newport County this evening. It was a great performance from the Stags, so solid at the back whilst creating several good chances going forward. I think Mansfield have been unlucky several times this season not to win games they deserved to win, but this evening the Stags certainly had a bit of luck on their side as Adam Chapman sent a thunderbolt against the underside of the Stags bar on 85 minutes, and two minutes later the Stags were in front with a great cross from the left by Callum Elder which Reggie Lambe converted at the far post from a tight angle. The Chapman shot was just that little bit of luck we needed. Only seconds before Chapman rattled the bar, he had another fine shot that was superbly saved by the returning Sascha Studer in goal. Studer actually had a surprisingly quiet night in goal, a great credit to the defence in front of him in which Tafazolli was outstandingly dominant, Riley was very good alongside him, and Callum Elder had a good game both at the back and going forward. Studer really had only one other save to make when he did well to dive on a flicked header from Minshull direct from a long throw early in the second half. The first half had been even with the Stags holding their own as Billy Kee brought two good saves from home keeper Day, the first from a superb header, while Heslop clipped the ball over the keeper as he came out but a defender cleared. At the other end in the first half, Studer did not have to make a save other than from a cross, and the closest Newport came was a free header over the bar from a corner. In the second half, before those crucial last 5 minutes, Kee had a great shot which brought an equally great save. The Stags had four penalty shouts, three on Kee and one on Lambe, but that elusive penalty just won’t come. The last penalty the Stags were given was in November 2013, over 15 months ago!

A great night for the 65 Stags fans that travelled to South Wales and those back in Mansfield and everyone associated with the club. This was the Stags first “double” since we were promoted from the Conference, and it felt very good! A caller to the phone-in with Adam Murray on Mansfield 103.2 on Friday suggested that Mansfield were going backwards under Murray. Well, the Stags have now played 17 games under Murray and taken 22 points, compared to 17 games and 19 points before he took charge.

The Stags are up to 17th and are 14 points ahead of Hartlepool with 12 games left. Hartlepool are in big trouble, obviously. The Stags are then 7 points above Cheltenham and Tranmere, and 5 points above Carlisle and York. Interestingly Mansfield have gone level with Cambridge, who are dropping fast despite their wonderful cup run. The table is looking better of course, but the game at Cheltenham on Saturday is still huge. Come on Mansfield!

Statistical note: the Stags away following of 65 was our lowest for a league game since records began in 2002 when away followings were routinely reported. This includes all through the Conference years. The previous lowest was 73 at Crawley in the Conference in March 2011.


Tuesday, 3rd March 2015: Newport County 0, Mansfield Town 1
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Reggie Lambe’s second goal in four days could prove so valuable in the final reckoning as Mansfield Town pulled off a sensational 1-0 win at promotion-chasing Newport County tonight.

Lambe struck three minutes from time from a Callum Elder cross to seal back-to-back wins and ease Mansfield’s relegation worries.

It ended a miserable run of five away defeats and completed Stags’ first double over any opposition since promotion back to the League.

The display fully justified boss Adam Murray’s decision to rest key players and make six changes to freshen it up as they defended superbly with Ryan Tafazolli outstanding.

Stand-in keeper Sascha Studer was well protected throughout, though former Stags midfielder Adam Chapman twice came close to breaking Stags’ hearts in the 85th minute as he forced a good save from Studer and then rattled the crossbar seconds later.

But Mansfield fully deserved at least a point and within two minutes they had all three in the bag.

Stags now head into another six-pointer at Cheltenham on Saturday bursting with confidence.

Newport loanee keeper Lenny Pidgeley was not allowed to face his parent club so in came Swiss youngster Studer.

Lee Beevers replaced Ritchie Sutton at right back while in midfield Jamie McGuire and Simon Heslop took over from Jack Thomas and Ricky Ravenhill.

Brighton loanee Jeffrey Monakana was given his second start on the wing in place of Reggie Lambe while Scunthorpe loanee striker Billy Kee was given the central striker’s role in place of Vadaine Oliver and had an excellent game, making a constant nuisance of himself.

Stags were looking to improve on the division’s second worst away record of two wins and three draws.

The night began with problems with the Rodney Parade ticketing system that left queues of fans outside at kick-off and the start slightly delayed.

There was a minute’s applause for club legend Dai Williams.

In the opening exchanges Minshull was late in on McGuire in the centre circle, but Clements free kick was too high for Tafazolli to reach.

On six minutes Stags almost grabbed the lead as Kee forced a save from Day with a fine downward header from Monakana’s hanging far post cross from the right.

Tafazolli twice headed clear, first from a Jackson free kick and then a superb cross from the same player after a good burst of pace down the right.

A long ball forward by Beevers found Kee, who controlled and laid it back into the path of Brown, who dragged a low shot wide from the edge of the box.

Kee tried to get a vital flick on the ball as Brown crossed it low to the near post, but Yakubu’s attentions were enough to prevent him doing so.

Some cool defending from Riley saw him outwit Zebrowski in the chase for a long ball forward.

Tafazolli flicked on a long Elder throw to cause havoc in the box, but Newport managed to clear,

Elder managed to get in the way of a Chapman shot as the home side pressed with a series of passes in the box.

Jackson fizzed in a powerful cross from the right that Studer elected to push away at the last minute as it threatened to deceive him and find its way in.

On 26 minutes Newport won the game’s first corner from which Jones met to head over the far angle.

Jones then seemed to shove Kee in the back in the box, but all Stags got was a corner.

Monakana’s skills then won Stags a second, but like the first, it was cleared.

But Mansfield had reached the half-hour mark with much to be pleased with and had protected Studer well.

Tafazolli’s attempt to help a through ball back to Studer had just enough legs before Storey could pounce.

Then Kee was just caught offside as he tried to race clear onto a stabbed McGuire pass forward.

Kee was too high with a hurried effort from 25 yards as we reached the 40th minute of a largely uneventful half.

A minute later Jones failed to intercept a Beevers cross and it caught Kee by surprise behind him, the ball cushioning off his head to the keeper rather than testing him.

Newport forced two more corners, the first cleared after a scramble and the second producing a foul against the Exiles.

Beevers played a neat ball into the right of the box to release Heslop, who lifted the ball over the keeper’s head only to see it headed away by Yakubu before he could follow it up.

Newport then broke quickly, Jackson winning them a fifth corner, which came to nothing as the half ended 0-0.

County began the second half as the first ended with another corner, taken short but producing nothing.

Studer had work to do on 49 minutes when Minshull got something onto a long, high throw from Jackson from close range, Studer down well to grab.

Riley was penalised for holding Zebroski 25 yards from goal and Byrne sent a decent free kick inches over the right angle.

On 58 minutes Stags made a switch on the wing as Lambe came on for Monakana.

That sparked Mansfield into winning two corners which County defended safely.

Kee turned well onto a McGuire pass on 61 minutes and let fly with a powerful shot that Day did well to hold onto.

McGuire’s fine diving header cleared a Chapman free kick.

Then Kee was well off target with a first time shot at the other end.

Newport won another corner as a low Byrne effort deflected wide, but Beevers was on hand to clear.

Newport broke quickly from a loose McGuire pass, but Zebroski was wildly over from distance.

Thomas replaced Heslop in the Stags midfield for the last nine minutes to offer fresh legs.

More changes for both sides saw Oliver on for Kee on 82 minutes.

On 85 minutes ex-Stag Chapman twice came close.

First his 25 yard blast was turned round the post by Studer.

Then, when Stags couldn’t clear the corner, his rasping first time effort from 18 yards came down off the underside of the bar

Stags were under the cosh. But instead of buckling they went upfield and grabbed a goal with just three minutes left.

Elder sent a long cross over everyone to the far post from wide on the left and Lambe was free to guide it home from close range.

Thomas was booked for a shove on Jackson two minutes into four added minutes.

Newport piled the pressure on as Stags defended heroically, Lambe added to the book.

But McGuire headed clear the free kick and Stags were home and dry.

NEWPORT: Day, Jackson, Jones, Yakubu, Chapman, Minshull (Sandell 69), Zebroski (Parker 82), Klukowski (Porter 72), Storey, Tutonda, Byrne. Subs not used: Stephens, Feely, Howe, Jeffers.

STAGS: Studer, Beevers, Riley, Tafazolli, Elder, McGuire, Clements, Heslop (Thomas 81), Monakana (Lambe 58), Brown, Kee (Oliver 82). Subs not used: Rhead, Bingham, Ravenhill, Sutton.

REFEREE: Andy Davies of Hampshire.




Newport 0 Mansfield Town 1: Match report
Nottingham Post report by Sarah Clapson

They did it! After five successive away defeats, they did it. Mansfield Town won on the road.

And they deserved it too.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Newport-X-Mansfield-Town-X-Match-report/story-26114569-detail/story.html?#ixzz3TNAhr9rO

An incredible defensive display saw them keep a clean sheet at Newport County, and Reggie Lambe ensured it was a memorable evening at Rodney Parade, grabbing the winner in the 87th minute.

Both sides had created decent opportunities as the Stags more than held their own against their high-flying hosts - but of the two keepers, Sascha Studer had the quieter evening as his back line stood solid.

With Lenny Pidgeley not allowed to play against his parent club, Studer made his first appearance between the posts since December.

And that was one of six changes to the starting line-up as boss Adam Murray looked to freshen up his side with Saturday's six-pointer at Cheltenham Town in mind.

Lee Beevers replaced Ritchie Sutton at right-back, while Jamie McGuire, Jeffrey Monakana and Simon Heslop came into the midfield at the expense of Ricky Ravenhill, Lambe and Jack Thomas.

Up front, Billy Kee was handed the lone striker role, having come on and made a difference in the 2-1 win over Dagenham and Redbridge at the weekend; Vadaine Oliver dropping to the bench.

The Scunthorpe United loanee almost made an immediate impact, drawing a fine one-handed save from Joe Day as he headed Monakana's cross goalwards in the sixth minute.

And Kee was central to much of Mansfield's positive play in the early stages as they did what Murray had promised and 'threw the kitchen sink' at their opponents - for the opening 15 minutes at least.

Newport saw plenty of the ball, but it was the visitors who created all the chances.

Kee laid the ball into Junior Brown's path following a long punt forward by Beevers, but the resulting drive was weak and well wide.

The duo linked up again soon after, Brown crossing from the left and Kee trying to make a nuisance of himself in the box. He couldn't quite connect though, and Day was able to gather.

The Stags had done their best to catch their hosts cold, but County gradually began to come more into the game and started to up the ante.

Not that Studer could tell. For the most part, his defence did a superb job of shielding him from coming under too much pressure.

Ryan Tafazolli and Martin Riley both made some crucial clearances, and Callum Elder blocked an Adam Chapman shot as the ball pinged around the penalty box just before the half hour mark.

Newport's best opening fell to skipper Darren Jones, but he couldn't direct his header on target from Mark Byrne's corner.

And a frustrating few minutes for the Exiles captain almost resulted in a goal at the other end as he failed to clear Beevers' dangerous ball in. It reached Kee, who was caught by surprise and the ball bounced off the forward's head into the arms of Day.

Still, there was much for Murray to be pleased with at the break.

The half ended with the hosts counter-attacking from a Heslop chance, but Miles Storey's strike was deflected just wide of the upright.

Having had a quiet 45 minutes, it took only four minutes for Studer to be called into action in the second half - the Swiss stopper doing well to hold Lee Minshull's firm header from Ryan Jackson's long, high throw on the line.

He watched Byrne's arrowed free-kick hit the stanchion ten minutes later after Riley was penalised for a foul on Chris Zebroski as Newport put the visitors on the back foot.

For all their possession, however, the League Two play-off chasing hosts could do little with it. Wayward, long-range efforts flew high and wide as the Stags defence put in a sterling shift.

And Murray's men were not out of it, by any means.

Kee continued to get into good positions and worked Day again with a neat shot on the turn from McGuire's ball in, while Lambe looked lively when he was brought on off the bench.

In the final ten minutes, it was County's turn to throw the kitchen sink.

Adam Chapman's well-struck shot was expertly turned behind by Studer, before the same player cracked the ball against the underside of the bar from the resulting corner.

Mansfield held their nerve. And it paid off.

Three minutes before time, Elder floated the ball to the far post and Lambe was on hand to slot home - ending any worries they couldn't win anywhere else.

Newport: Day, Jackson, Jones, Yakubu, Tutonda, Klukowski (Porter 72), Minshull (Sandell 69), Chapman, Byrne, Storey, Zebroski (Parker 83). Subs not used: Stephens, Feely, Howe, Jeffers.

Mansfield: Studer, Beevers, Riley, Tafazolli, Elder, McGuire, Monakana (Lambe 58), Clements, Heslop (Thomas 80), Brown, Kee (Oliver 83). Subs not used: Rhead, Bingham, Ravenhill, Sutton.

Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire): Largely went unnoticed and let the game flow. Might have given Stags a penalty for a shove on Billy Kee.

Man of the match: Ryan Tafazolli: Billy Kee ran his team-mate close due to his hard work up front. But a clean sheet on the road is a brilliant achievement. Tafazolli was right at the heart of that. Protected Sascha Studer well and was superb throughout.


Newport County 0 v 1 Mansfield match report: Super sub Lambe puts County to the slaughter
By Carl Field, walesonline.co.uk

Late strike means that Jimmy Dack is still looking for his first home win since taking over the Rodney Parade outfit

JIMMY DACK is still searching for his first home win as County boss after sub Reggie Lambe snatched all three points for Mansfield from an entertaining League Two clash at Rodney Parade.


Lambe popped up three minutes from time for the Stags - just moments after Adam Chapman had rattled the crossbar at the other end.

It was Mansfield’s first win at Newport for 28 years and means County have taken just point from a possible last 12 at home.

Only a top drawer diving save from Joe Day stopped striker Billy Kee from heading Mansfield into a sixth minute lead after a Jeffrey Monakana cross, with Ishmail Yakubu hacking the ball away to safety.

The visitors shaded the early exchanges but Newport started to assert themselves as the half wore on. Full-back Ryan Jackson’s teasing dipping cross from the right was nervously punched away by Stags keeper Sascha Studer under his own crossbar on 25 minutes.

Newport’s first clear cut opening arrived a minute later when skipper Darren Jones headed over Mark Byrne’s corner. Moments later Chris Zebroski fluffed his lines after some decent link-up play involving strike partner Miles Storey, who had initially burst into the area and squared the ball back into Zebroski’s path.

Mansfield nearly took the lead four minutes before the break when a dangerous cross from Lee Beevers into the box evaded Jones and hit the chest of Kee, with Day forced to scupper across goal and grab the loose ball.

A minute before the break, Jackson then surged down the right and his low cross had to be put out for a corner with Storey lurking inside the six-yard box.

Four minutes into the second half, Lee Minshull got a flick on to Jackson’s long throw-in from the right and forced Studer into a save while Byrne then went close eight minutes later when he curled a free-kick just wide of Studer’s left-hand post.

Kee was then presented with another sight of goal, after skipper Jamie McGuire had knocked the ball into his path, but his shot on the turn superbly saved by Day.

The Stags striker then blazed another shot high and wide three minutes later after Junior Brown’s effort had deflected back into his path while, at the other end, Zebroski in particular was wasteful on a couple of occasions after getting himself into some decent positions - much to the frustration of the home faithful. Chapman went agonisingly close to winning it late on as first, he unleashed a fierce shot that produced a superb save from Studer, before seeing another rasping drive crash back off the crossbar moments later.

However it was to be the visitors - and Lambe - who were to have the final say, as he side-footed the ball home after Callum Elder’s cross to the far post.

Newport: J Day, R Jackson, D Jones (C), I Yakubu, A Chapman, L Minshull (A Sandell 69), C Zebroski (J Parker 83), J Klukowski (M Porter 72), M Storey, D Tutonda, M Byrne.

Unused: J Stephens, K Feely, R Howe, S Jeffers.

Mansfield: S Studer, L Beevers, M Riley, R Tafazolli, C Elder, J McGuire (C), C Clements, S Heslop (J Thomas 81), J Monakana (R Lambe 58), J Brown, B Kee (V Oliver 83).

Unused: M Rhead, R Bingham, R Ravenhill, R Sutton.

Attendance: 2,481



Latest | March 2015