{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2014

29th November 2014 12:13

The FA Cup - Round One replay
Concord Rangers 0 - 1 Mansfield Town
Palmer 61
Attendance: 1537 (approx 100 from Mansfield, note unsegregated)

Date: 25 November 2014

Martin Shaw at the Aspect Arena

Mansfield Town came through a potentially tricky replay in the FA Cup at Conference South side Concord Rangers this evening with a goal from Ollie Palmer earning a deserved victory. On a heavy pitch and often in lashing rain, it was hard work for both sides, and impossible for the Stags to repeat their passing game shown on Saturday. In an even first half there were few chances for either side, with Studer making a fine early save, then confusion between Studer and Tafazolli as Studer came out of his area and didn’t get there, allowed Taaffe to get in a shot which Marsden cleared off the line, while Ollie Palmer had a good chance for the Stags with a shot on target deflected for a corner. The Stags made a change at the break with Fergus Bell coming on as an attacking midfielder in place of Sendles-White as a defensive midfielder and it worked superbly for caretaker manager Murray as the Stags got right on top. Bell was terrific, first creating a chance for Palmer whose shot on target brought a superb save from Arsenal loanee keeper Josh Vicars, then Bell brilliantly controlled and fired against the post, and then another great run from Bell set up another chance for Palmer who fired just over. But the goal that looked inevitable came on 61 minutes and it was brilliant play from Rob Taylor who burst towards the byline on the left and put in a wonderful low cross that Palmer slotted in at the right post under pressure from a defender. Palmer should have made victory comfortable when he was clean through on goal with no defender within 20 yards but he couldn’t beat keeper Vicars who blocked his shot. Then sub Bingham put a cross-shot across goal and sub Rhead just missed it at the far post. The Stags were nearly made to pay for missed chances on 82 minutes as the dangerous Jordan Chiedozie, only released by Bournemouth this year, and scorer of the wonderful goal at Field Mill last week, fired over from a great chance 12 yards out. That turned out to be Concord’s only real chance of the second half and so a deserved victory for the Stags thanks to a really fine second half display. Some solid performances throughout the team. My man of the match is Fergus Bell, who changed the game with a scintillating display coming on as a half time substitute. Close behind were central defenders Riley and Tafazolli who very dominant, Heslop who had a fine game in the middle, and matchwinner Palmer who worked tirelessly and thoroughly deserved his goal. A word also for Rob Taylor for a magnificent run and cross for the goal. The Stags through to the second round to face Cambridge at the Abbey Stadium in 11 days and who knows what rewards could follow if we can win there, but before that the little matter of a visit to Luton on Saturday, a game that means a lot to the fans! Come on Mansfield!

Caretaker manager Adam Murray made two changes to the side that beat Plymouth and both were enforced. Loanees Keiron Freeman and Vadaine Oliver (signed on loan for two more months this afternoon) were not eligible to play, and were replaced by Marsden and Palmer. It was the same 4-1-2-2-1 formation as Saturday with Sendles-White playing just in front of the back four, and Palmer on his own up front. Tafazolli was again playing against the club he once played for on loan. Concord made one change from the game at Field Mill 7 days ago as Taaffe replaced Stokes up front.

The pitch was muddy and after the game some of the players told me it was hard work. The grass was also long. I had visited the ground in the afternoon and spoke to the groundsman who told me that the pitch was so wet he had not been able to cut the grass and so it was longer than he wanted.

Report in the Match Centre

Man of the match: Fergus Bell


Mansfield Town move in to next round of FA Cup after beating Concord Rangers 1-0
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

A 61st minute Ollie Palmer goal saw Mansfield Town safely over the potential banana skin of their FA Cup first round replay away to Conference South Concord Rangers last night.


On a foul, wet night on Canvey Island, the home side gave it everything and it took a goalline clearance from Liam Marsden to stop them grabbing the lead in a tight first half.

But caretaker boss Adam Murray went for a more attacking formation after the break which paid off as Stags created plenty of chances, Palmer unlucky not to end the night with a hat-trick as on-loan Arsenal keeper Josh Vickers twice denied him in one-on-ones.

When Jordan Chiedozie, hero of last week’s 1-1 draw at One Call Stadium, wasted a good chance for the Beachboys on 82 minutes, the battling part-timers knew it wasn’t to be their night as Stags booked their second round trip to Cambridge United at the second attempt.

It was a second win in four days for Murray and another big boost for his chances of being offered the job full time.

Mansfield Town made two enforced changes as, with the parent clubs of loanees Vadaine Oliver and Keiron Freeman not wishing them to become cup-tied, Palmer replaced Oliver up front while Liam Marsden came in at full back.

Good news today for Murray was that Crewe and Oliver have agreed to an extension of his loan and the player will now be with Stags until 19th January.

The game kicked-off in driving rain on a cold night and the early minutes were scrappy and furious.

But in the sixth minute Rangers forced a corner which saw Fry have an effort blocked before the visitors y cleared.

On 12 minutes Taylor won a free kick, 20 yards out to the left, and Clements was only just too high as his curling kick passed just over the near angle.

On 15 minutes Lampe played a ball forward and Collins found himself one-on-one with Studer. The keeper got a piece of the finish, but the ball continued on target where Marsden was the hero with a goalline clearance.

Then Chiedozie sent in a good cross from the left for Rangers on which Cawley failed to get a firm enough contact with his head to get the ball on target.

Concord continued to press and a Walker cross from the right bounced through everyone and wide of the far post to groans from the home fans.

On 22 minutes a poor clearance from Studer went straight to Chiedozie who lashed the ball straight back at goal, hoping to catch the keeper off his line, but was too high.

Stags eased the pressure with an attack down the right from which Heslop lashed a hopeful effort wide from 30 yards.

.Strong running by Palmer saw him thread a pass through to Lambe just outside the box, he helped it to his left to Taylor who dragged a poor effort well wide of the far post.

Fry’s diving header away from a Marsden cross gave Stags their third corner which Clements sent over and Tafazolli stooped to head wide of goal.

Murray upped the ante at the break as he decided to start the second half with attacking midfielder Bell replacing defensive midfielder Sendles-White.

Within the first minute it almost paid off as his first pass to his right put Palmer in on goal, keeper Vickers reacting quickly to get down and block the finish.

Then Bell controlled a free kick and struck a goalbound volley on the turn which Vickers had to save.

This was much better from the visitors and Palmer went close again on 56 minutes after Bell had driven down the right and hoisted a ball into his path, Palmer crashing a decent shot just over.

The home side created a couple of scares with low crosses flying across the six yard box from both flanks with no one there to finish.

But the breakthrough Mansfield had been threatening finally came on 61 minutes.

It was carved out by the speed of Taylor on the left who put on the burners to accelerate towards the by-line and cross hard and low, Palmer perfectly placed near the far post for the close range tap-in.

Chiedozie went down in the box under Riley’s challenge on 73 minutes, but it never looked likely to be a penalty.

Instead Stags began to turn the screw and Palmer saw Vickers deny him in another one on one, saving low after he had gone straight down the centre. Then Bingham forced Vickers to save from 25 yards.

Bingham flashed a shot straight across the face of the home goal on 81 minutes, then a minute later the Beachboys might have levelled as Stokes flicked the ball in front of Chiedozie in a great central position only to lift his finish over the bar.

Inevitably the home side threw everything forward, winning two corners on the trot. A corner in the last minute saw Vickers go forward too, but Stags stood firm and cleared.

Four minutes were added on, but Mansfield kept the ball well away from Studer to complete their deserved win.

CONCORD: Vickers, Walker, Glozier (Miles 79 mins), Woodyard, Lampe, Fry, Taaffe (Gardner 71 mins), White, Chiedozie, Collins, Cawley (Stokes 75 mins)Alexander, Ogilvie, Kabashi.

STAGS: Studer; Marsden, Riley, Tafazolli, Beevers; Clements, Sendles-White (Bell 45 mins), Heslop; Lambe, Palmer (Rhead 81 mins), Taylor (Bingham 68 mins) Subs not used: Thomas, Waterfall, Murray, Bishop.

REFEREE: Andy Davies of Hampshire.




Brave Concord Rangers' FA Cup dream ended by Mansfield Town
echo-news.co.uk report by Luke Lambert

Concord Rangers 0-1 Mansfield Town
FA Cup First Round replay
From Aspect Arena

CONCORD Rangers FA Cup adventure was brought to an end by Mansfield Town on a dark and damp night at the Aspect Arena.


The Beachboys were looking to write another chapter in their extraordinary history, which has seen them rise from Essex Senior League football to the Conference South in the last decade.

The only goal came an hour into the contest, with the lively Ollie Palmer tapping in from close range but Concord’s resolve never weakened, and they came within inches of forcing injury time late on.

It was the hosts that made the early running in the driving rain. Good work from Lewis Taaffe, who had replaced club captain Tony Stokes in the starting line-up, saw defender Matt Fry have time to turn and shoot in the area.

However, Sascha Studer, who was named man-of-the-match in last Tuesday’s 1-1 draw, was able to push the ball to safety.

Stags, under the guidance of new caretaker manager Adam Murray, came back and were close to breaking the deadlock when Chris Clements sent a free-kick narrowly off target.

But, spurred on by more than 1,200 Beachboys fans, the first clear-cut chance of the match came to the hosts. The tenacious Taaffe broke through, reaching the loose ball ahead of Studer but his goalbound effort was blocked by Marsden on the goal line.

Ollie Palmer was driving the Stags forward, his effort blocked away when he could perhaps have done better but the League Two team were unable to contend with their non-league opponents.

Jordan Chiedozie, who scored the equaliser that forced the replay, shot just over while, at the other end Matt Fry and Jack Lampe were playing superbly to keep Mansfield’s attacking threat quiet.

Mansfield’s best opening of the first-half came as the clock ticket into added time but ex-Beachboys defender Ryan Tafazolli could only direct his header wide of the far post.

Fergus Bell, one of Stags’ best players a week ago, was introduced at the break and his effect was immediate.

A through-ball found the run of Palmer and he forced the Beachboys on-loan Arsenal goalkeeper Josh Vickers into his first save with his legs.

Moments later and Bell crashed a shot off Vickers’ bear-hand post as Murray’s men cranked up the pressure.

Heslop shot wide before Bell and Palmer linked up, with the latter firing inches over.

Concord came into life as the clock ticked over the hour mark, with Sam Collins’ low cross just missing the onrushing home strikers.

But then Mansfield struck, Palmer hitting the target from close range after excellent wing play from Rob Taylor.

Chiedozie went down in the box under pressure from away skipper Martin Riley but the referee waved away the calls and, on the counter, Palmer should have put the game beyond doubt.

Breaking through he had only Vickers to beat but the 18-year-old stood tall and blocked with his legs, to keep the game in the balance.

Concord’s chance to force extra time came with five minutes remaining. Substitute Tony Stokes did brilliantly to force the ball to Chiedozie and, in the penalty area, he flicked the ball just over Studer’s crossbar when the slightest touch would have seen the equaliser.

But it was the visitors who held out to book a second round tie at Cambridge United.

Concord Rangers: Vickers, Walker, Glozier (Miles), Woodyard, Lampe, Fry, White, Chiedozie, Taaffe (Gardner), Collins, Cawley (Stokes)

Mansfield Town: Studer, Riley, Tafazolli, Palmer (Rhead), Heslop, Thompson-Lambe, Beevers, Marsden, Taylor (Bingham), Clements, Sendles-White (Bell)


sportinessex.com, JAMES COLASANTI

CONCORD’S FA Cup dream may have ended tonight - but there is good reason to suggest the most significant dent to their hopes came on Friday evening.


So promising was the Beachboys’ 1-1 draw in the first game of this FA Cup second round tie that the bookies slashed odds on them winning from 8-1 at Field Mill last week to 3-1 at the Aspect Arena tonight.

But this was a different Mansfield. Far from a vintage Mansfield - but certainly a different one.

With the departure by mutual consent of Stags manager Paul Cox on Friday night came the appointment of caretaker Adam Murray.

And with Murray came a raft of changes - including the abandonment of endlessly trying to find the head of big striker Matt Rhead - Cox’s go-to man - who started on the bench in Essex this evening.

In came a more versatile line-leader in the shape of Ollie Palmer and one man-of-the-match performance garnished with a winning goal from him later and the League Two side were through. Despite another predictably gutsy effort from their non league hosts.

Palmer’s close range finish from a burst into the box and inviting low centre from Robert Taylor was the stand-out piece of quality in a tense match played in testing rain-blighted conditions.

On another night Concord could certainly have won, or at least taken it into extra time.

But last week’s goal hero Jordan Chiedozie lifted their best chance narrowly over when put in on goal by Tony Stokes’ cute 81st minute through ball. And that was that.

And Mansfield - who immediately picked up a 1-0 win against Plymouth on the weekend under Murray - were worth their win at Thames Road.

The Stags can also point to impressive sub Fergus Bell’s shot against the post seconds after the restart as evidence of their worthiness.

Concord boss Danny Cowley said a few of his crestfallen players cried in the dressing room afterwards. But they had nothing to be ashamed of, having already claimed a moral victory in this tie a long time ago.

And then there was the not so small matter of the crowd. It was recorded as 1,537 in the end. A new record and a terrific effort - given just how foul the weather was.

And if the Beachboys manage to attract approaching a third of that gate for some of their home Vanarama South fixtures this season then those tears will be long forgotten.


Mansfield Town grab single goal to break brave Concord's hearts

Brian Jeeves reporting from the Aspect Arena
A SECOND half goal from Ollie Palmer broke brave Concord Rangers’ resistance, as Sky Bet League Two Mansfield Town progressed from this hard fought FA Cup first round replay.
A record Aspect Arena crowd of 1,537 braved the wet weather to witness what had been dubbed the biggest game in Concord’s history.
Conditions certainly made the surface treacherous.
But in a frantic first half as the players displayed plenty of endeavour but little in the way of expansive football.
Indeed, it was the non-leaguers who shaded the opening half, and they should have grabbed the lead when Lewis Taffee seized on some hesitant goalkeeping from Sascha Studer, only for Liam Marsden to clear off the line.
Nevertheless, the introduction of Fergus Bell seemed to have the desired effect on Mansfield, who dominated the second period.
Palmer effort was blocked by Arsenal loanee Josh Vickers, then Bell struck an upright as the Stags turned the screw.
And just after the hour they made the breakthrough.
Palmer arrived at the far post to finish after Robert Taylor had surged into the box and centred from the left.
Concord's Jordan Chiedozie passed up a glorious opportunity late on to take the tie into extra-time, but the Football League outfit held their nerve to set up a second round clash with Cambridge United.
Concord manager Danny Cowley said: “I think the overriding emotion at the moment is disappointment, but when we have an opportunity to dust ourselves down and reflect I think we’ll be rightly proud that over the two games we’ve taken a League Two team all the way.
Cowley heaped special praise on loanee goalkeeper Josh Vickers, adding: “I thought he was fantastic, he’s only eighteen years of age, he’s going to be special, he’s going to play right at the top level of English football and I look forward to watching his development.

Concord Rangers: Josh Vickers, Jeremy Walker, Danny Glozier (Taylor Miles), Alex Woodyard, Jack Lampe, Matt Fry, Lewis Taaffe (Joe Gardner), James White, Jordan Chiedozie, Sam Collins, Steve Cawley (Tony Stokes) Concord Rangers substitutes not used: Steve King, Cheye Alexander, Gary Ogilvie, Riggers Kabashi.

Mansfield Town: Sascha Studer, Martin Riley, Ryan Tafazolli, Ollie Palmer (Matt Rhead), Simon Heslop, Reggie Thompson-Lambe, Lee Beevers, Liam Marsden, Robert Taylor (Rakish Bingham), Chris Clements, James Sendles-White (Fergus Bell). Mansfield Town substitutes not used: Jack Thomas, Adam Murray, Luke Waterfall, Adam Bishop.

Referee: Andy Davies Assistants: Andrew Aylott & Nicholas Cooper Fourth Official: David Rock Attendance: 1,537


Concord Rangers 0 Mansfield 1
By Chris Osborne, BBC Sport at Aspect Arena

Ollie Palmer's second-half goal helped Mansfield edge past non-league Concord in their FA Cup first-round replay.
The Conference South side had the better of the first half, with Matt Fry and Lewis Taaffe both going close.
Mansfield improved after the break as Palmer forced a save from Josh Vickers and Fergus Bell struck a post.
And the League Two side found a winner just after the hour mark when Palmer slid in at the back post to put away Rob Taylor's cross.
Jordan Chiedozie, whose 30-yard strike 10 days ago had forced the replay, almost snatched a late equaliser but poked over from close range.
Managed by PE teacher Danny Cowley, the Canvey Island side were committed and spirited in the wet and cold conditions, particularly in the first period, against a team 46 places above them on the football ladder.
Mansfield, still managerless since Paul Cox's departure last week, pulled away though as the game drew on, with Palmer's back-post finish halting Concord's momentum.
The former Havant & Waterlooville man should have had a second, but failed to beat Arsenal loanee Vickers when through one-on-one.
And although Rangers forced a series of late corners, the Stags held on to secure a second-round tie at Cambridge United.



Latest | November 2014