{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2014

20th November 2014 0:38

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Shrewsbury Town 2 - 0 Mansfield Town
Grant 59, Collins 75
Attendance: 5001 (356 from Mansfield)

Date: 15 November 2014

Martin Shaw at the New Meadow (also known as Greenhous Meadow)

Mansfield Town were well beaten by a rampant Shrewsbury Town side who pummelled the Stags for an hour after the irresponsible sending-off of Jamie McGuire on 30 minutes. The ten-man Stags were over-run as Shrewsbury totally dominated, and the Stags were barely able to get out of their own half. Shrewsbury scored twice, through a blockbuster from Bobby Grant from the edge of the box on 59 minutes, and then James Collins sweeping in from inside the six-yard box on 75 minutes. It could have been more goals for the Shrews but for a resolute defensive display from the Stags with the returning Ryan Tafazolli, debutante Luke Waterfall, and Martin Riley impressing, and Sascha Studer pulling off two excellent saves. The Stags had done alright in the opening half hour with Shrewsbury having just one chance from within the area, while the Stags created a decent chance with good play between Clements and Murray and Murray’s shot was blocked. But the game was to change with two yellows in three minutes for McGuire. For the first yellow card, McGuire fouled Liam Lawrence, Lawrence retaliated and both players were booked. The referee gave the free-kick to the Stags. As the referee decided it wasn’t a foul by McGuire, then McGuire shouldn’t have been booked in my opinion. Just two minutes later, the second yellow card for McGuire was stupid. My initial view of the incident was not clear, but review of the DVD shows that he lost control of the ball and pulled Collins to the ground with his arm around his neck. Yellow card was the correct decision. So, whilst McGuire might have been a bit unlucky with the first yellow card, he was stupid to get booked so soon afterwards. His irresponsible action cost the Stags the chance of getting something from the game in my opinion. So, more disappointment for the Stags, no wins in 8 games now. Pressure continues to mount on boss Paul Cox. The Stags are now 9 points behind the play-offs, and 7 points above the relegation zone. Shrewsbury are second and far and away the best team I have seen in League Two this season. They have now won 8 and drawn 1 of their 9 home league games, as well as beating Norwich and Blackpool at the New Meadow and giving Chelsea a good run for their money in the Capital One Cup. They have spent well and in players like Liam Lawrence have enough quality to get automatic promotion.



Saturday, 15th November 2014: Shrewsbury Town 2, Mansfield Town 0
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

A red card after only half an hour for two yellow cards in three minutes for Jamie McGuire ended any hopes Mansfield Town had of halting in-form Shrewsbury as they went down 2-0 at Greenhous Meadow this afternoon.


The home side were in top form, having a 100 per cent home record in the League and this was their sixth straight League two win.

However, they had started slowly and rarely looked like troubling Sasha Studer in the Mansfield goal until a rush of blood for McGuire saw him involved in three rash challenges in a few minutes.

The latter two saw his afternoon ended early and left his team mates right up against it as they went an eighth game without a victory and slip to 19th.

Stags’ 10 men defended valiantly with debutant Luke Waterfall and the returning Ryan Tafazolli outstanding and Studer pulling off some good saves.

But with the home side having the man advantage and ex-Stags legend Liam Lawrence pulling all the strings after the break, Stags eventually succumbed to two second half strikers.

Bobby Grant scored a thunderbolt of an opener on 59 minutes and James Collins sealed the win from close range on 75 minutes.

In the end the afternoon couldn’t end soon enough for Mansfield, whose 10 men were given a real run-around by the Shrews.

The Mansfield line-up showed five changes. There was a debut for loanee centre half Waterfall and a return alongside him from injury for Tafazolli.

There was a surprise at left wing back where Keiron Freeman returned having been given little chance in midweek of being fit.

Also coming back in after injury were midfielder Chris Clements and target man Matt Rhead.

Out went Rakish Bingham, Liam Marsden, Rob Taylor, Vadaine Oliver, and Jamie Sendles-White.

The afternoon got off to a bad start for Mansfield after the coach driver inadvertently took them to the Shrews’ old Gay Meadow ground instead of their smart new Greenhous Meadow.

The game featured two Swiss keepers which must be a first for the lower divisions. And the Shrews were skippered by ex-Mansfield Town legend Liam Lawrence.

Stags had a glimmer of hope in the second minute as Rhead won the ball and slipped it wide to Freeman with the home side calling for offside.

The flag stayed down and Freeman whipped a low ball across the box, but there were no Stags players anywhere near to capitalise.

Shrewsbury created danger a minute later as Grant tried to curl a 20-yarder inside Studer’s far post but was wide of the target.

Soon after Grant again tried his luck from distance, this time too high.

On six minutes poor control from Tafazolli gifted the ball to Lawrence, who ran forward and picked out Akpa Akpro to his left who saw a low shot deflect dangerously across the Stags goalmouth before going out for a corner, which was headed away by Tafazolli.

Riley did well to clear a flicked-on Lawrence free kick for a corner before anyone could get on the end of it.

Studer then got a punch onto the corner before Murray completed the clearance.

McGuire and Grant were warned after shoving each other the halfway line with Grant left on the floor, but no cards came out for either.

In Stags’ first real spell of pressure, Murray had a shot blocked as he took the ball off the toe of Freeman in the home box.

On 26 minutes there was a flare-up as Lawrence was upset by the ferocity of a McGuire tackle and flicked out a foot to trip up McGuire.

The pair squared up face to face and after a lengthy discussion with his assistant the referee ended the row with a yellow card apiece.

McGuire further endeared himself to the home fans after he and Collins threw themselves into a tackle in the middle of the park, both needing treatment.

The referee eventually decided McGuire’s challenge deserved a second yellow and out came the red, leaving Stags to face an hour with 10 men.

Suddenly the home side were lifted and quickly forced two successive corners.

Another followed on 35 minutes, taken short, which saw Lawrence float the ball in and Akpa Akpo head over.

The home side really should have gone ahead on 37 minutes as Grimmer worked his way into the Stags box and pulled back a low ball to Collins almost on the penalty spot who blazed a finish wide when he looked certain to score.

Palmer replaced Rhead up front on 39 minutes.

Then Freeman was booked on 40 minutes for bringing down Lawrence, Waterfall heading away the free kick.

A minute later Collins planted an 18-yard volley sraight at Studer after Akpa Akpro had chested the ball down for him.

Stags then tested Leutwiler for the first time on 42 minutes as Carr twisted and turned on the left of the box and got in a low on-target shot from a tight angle that the keeper was happy to block.

Lawrence made space for a shot on 44 minutes, choosing to try and chip Studer from 20 yards but sending the ball over the top.

Three minutes were added on, in the second of which Clements was booked for tripping Grant.

But Stags’ 10 men reached the break still in the game at 0-0.

During the break the crowd were treated to a performance from Pearl of Africa Ugandan choir as the sun sank and gave way to a chillier second half.

The first home attack of the second half saw Riley go down holding his face after a challenge with Akpa Akpro, but the referee saw nothing untoward.

On 48 minutes to Shrews won their first corner of the half which Studer punched away only to see Demetriou file the loose ball back over his head and the bar.

Palmer won a Stags free kick on 50 minutes which was cleared for the visitors’ first corner of the afternoon.

That was cleared and the home side launched a counter-attack which saw Studer forced to superbly tip over a dipping blast from Akpa Akpro.

The pressure stayed on as Lawrence floated in a ball from the left that saw Grant outjump Beevers to send a header wide.

Waterfall got a brave head in the way of a Lawrence shot and then blocked a Grant shot as the home side settled into their dominance of possession.

Grant was booked for his collision with Freeman on 56 minutes.

But Stags’ resistance was broken on 59 minutes as Grimmer did well to get to the right by-line and pull back a low pass towards Grant who met it with an absolute thunderbolt of a left foot finish that zipped past a helpless Studer and high into the net.

Stags quickly sent on Bingham for Carr for the last half-hour.

Tafazolli was winded getting himself in the way of a Grimmer blast, and Stags survived the ensuing corner.

Grant was inches over the bar from 20 yards with a great dipping shot on 69 minutes.

The home side were close again after Akpa Akpro did well to stretch his neck and keep a long cross ball in play and Collins met it on the volley as it dropped but was just wide.

Just as a few shouts of ‘Cox out’ rose from the away end, it was game over for Mansfield as the home side scored a killer second goal on 75 minutes.

A right wing corner was hit goalwards by Knight-Percival and Collins was on hand to hook it past Studer en route from close range.

Collins thought he’d added a third on 78 minutes but was penalised for climbing at the far post.

The final whistle couldn’t come fast enough for Mansfield as the home side piled on the agony with three more corners.

Then Grimmer blasted a loose ball into the sidenetting as Collins screamed for a penalty against Riley.

Soon after Studer had to beat away a vicious 20-yard effort from Collins and then watched gratefully as a Lawrence free kick was curled over the wall and wide.

In the three minutes of stoppage time, some sloppy play from the home side offered Palmer time and space and he did get a shot on target which Leutwiler pushed away.

That gave Stags the first of two corners.

But it was Studer who had a save to make, diving to his right to keep out Clark’s 20-yarder just before the whistle.

There was a lovely touch on the whistle as Lawrence ran to acknowledge the Stags fans and threw his short into the crowd to huge applause.

SHREWS: Leutwiler, Grandison, Demetriou, Goldson, Collins, Lawrence, Wesolowski, Knight-Percival, Grant (Clark 79), Grimmer, Akpa Akro (Vernon 83). Subs not used: Halstead, Ellis, Vincent, Wildig, Griffith.

STAGS: Studer; Riley, Waterfall, Tafazolli; Beevers, McGuire, Murray, Clements, Freeman; Rhead (Palmer 39), Carr (Bingham 60). Subs not used: Bell, Lambe, Marsden, Oliver, Sendles-White.?REFEREE: Darren Handley of Bolton.

ATTENDANCE: 5,001 (356 away).



Shrewsbury Town 2 Mansfield Town 0: Match report
Nottingham Post report by Sarah Clapson

TWO second half goals condemned ten-man Mansfield Town to an eighth successive game without a win as Shrewsbury Town triumphed 2-0.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Shrewsbury-Town-2-Mansfield-Town-0-Match-report/story-24539515-detail/story.html?#ixzz3JASDt2Xf

The Stags were forced to play more than an hour with their numbers reduced as midfielder Jamie McGuire collected two yellow cards in the space of just three minutes.

It left his team firmly on the back foot and forced to soak up the pressure.

And though Mansfield made it to half-time at 0-0, Bobby Grant broke the deadlock on the hour, before James Collins notched later on, prompting chants of ‘Cox out’ among the away fans.

Boss Paul Cox handed a debut to on-loan defender Luke Waterfall as one of five changes to the team which lost to Southend United.

A weekend off, due to the postponement of their FA Cup tie with Concord Rangers, gave some extra recovery time for fellow centre-back Ryan Tafazolli and striker Matt Rhead.

And both made the starting line-up in their comeback from injury, along with Chris Clements and Kieron Freeman.

Those players to miss out were Jamie Sendles-White, Vadaine Oliver, Rakish Bingham, Rob Taylor and Liam Marsden.

The visitors found themselves under pressure early on as Shrewsbury made a bright start, with Grant twice off target inside the opening five minutes.

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro then had a drilled effort on the left deflected behind for a corner, after Tafazolli was guilty of giving away possession.

For the most part though, the returning Stags defender was in fine form, making some excellent challenges to keep chances for the hosts to a minimum.

Goalmouth action was in short supply at either end during the opening stages, though former Stag Liam Lawrence did cause problems with a free-kick which pinged around the area.

Mansfield had struggled to get a foothold in the game, but they put together a nice attacking move with 24 minutes gone, Adam Murray and Clements involved and the former having a shot blocked.

The touchpaper was lit though, in the 27th minute. Lawrence took exception to a tackle by McGuire and a tussle resulted between the two players, with both booked.

Three minutes later, McGuire picked up a second yellow and received his marching orders for a challenge on James Collins.

That left Stags down to ten men for the best part of an hour and their hosts subsequently had the better of possession before the break.

Collins missed the Shrews’ best chance, blazing over from ten yards out after Jack Grimmer’s driven ball in from the right.

Sascha Studer denied a volley from the front man before the whistle, while Lawrence fired over from outside the area.

Mansfield nevertheless, managed to muster an opportunity of their own, thanks to the fancy footwork of Carr.

The striker twisted and turned in the penalty area, but the angle was always against him and Jayson Leutwiler batted his effort away.

Shrewsbury were back on the attack after the break.

From Stags’ first corner of the day, the home side broke, with Studer pulling off a superb fingertip save to deny Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro’s fierce strike, before Grant headed wide from Lawrence’s cross.

Waterfall weighed in with a couple of good blocks, but the visitors couldn’t keep their opponents at bay for long.

Grant had gone close on several occasions but his thunderbolt of a strike in the 59th minute almost burst the net as he cut inside from the right.

Tafazolli ensured it wasn’t 2-0 shortly after, when he blocked a close range blast from Collins.

But Cox’s men found it difficult to get out of their own half as the Shrews kept pegging them back.

Grant was inches away from bagging his second, with a dipping shot from range which dropped just over the bar.

Collins too, wasn’t far away when he smashed the ball over from Grimmer’s cross, but he bagged the second goal with just over ten minutes remaining when he latched on to a corner.

The goalscorer had the ball in the net again a few minutes later, only to be penalised for a challenge on Freeman.

Shrewsbury continued to apply the pressure right up to the final whistle. Grimmer fired into the side-netting and Studer once again conjured an excellent save to push away a well-struck effort from Collins.

Substitute Ollie Palmer had a late chance for the visitors, making Jayson Leutwiler work after capitalising on some sloppy play. But it was to be another fruitless afternoon for the Stags.

SHREWSBURY: Leutwiler, Knight Percival, Goldson, Grandison, Demetriou, Lawrence, Wesolowski, Grant (Clark 79), Grimmer, Collins, Akpa Akpro (Vernon 83). Subs not used: Halstead, Ellis, Vincent, Wildig, Griffith.

MANSFIELD: Studer, Riley, Waterfall, Tafazolli, Freeman, Beevers, McGuire, Murray, Clements, Carr (Bingham 60), Rhead (Palmer 39). Subs not used: Bell, Lambe, Marsden, Oliver, Sendles-White.

ATTENDANCE: 5,001 (356 away).


REPORT: Town 2-0 Mansfield
Sat 15 Nov 2014
Author: ShrewsWeb

Another important 3 points for Town after a good performance topped off with goals from Grant and Collins

Read more at http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/article/15nov14-town-v-mansfield-2085235.aspx#FDdMC2KmQccTyodz.99

Town: Jayson Leutwiler, Jermaine Grandison, Mickey Demetriou, Connor Goldson, Nathaniel Knight-Percival, Liam Lawrence (c), James Wesolowski, James Collins, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro (Scott Vernon 82), Bobby Grant (Jordan Clark 78), Jack Grimmer

Subs: Aaron Wildig, Anthony Griffith, Ashley Vincent, Mark Ellis, Mark Halstead

Mansfield Town: Sascha Studer, Martin Riley, Ryan Tafazolli, Matt Rhead (Oliver Palmer 40), Jamie McGuire, Kieron Freeman, Lee Beevers, Adam Murray (c), Daniel Carr (Rakish Bingham 59), Luke Waterfall, Chris Clements

Subs: Fergus Bell, Reggie Thompson-Lambe, Liam Marsden, Nevadan Oliver, Jamie Sendles-White

Referee: Darren Handley
Assistants: Matthew Donohue & Andrew Newbold
Fourth Official: Darren Strain

Attendance: 5,002 (356 from Mansfield)

Town had four players on duty who missed out in the Cup tie at Walsall last Saturday. Jermaine Grandison returned following his one game ban, whilst James Wesolowski took the place of Ryan Woods who had to miss out under the totting up rule for 5 yellows. Jack Grimmer - who was Cup-tied for the trip to the Banks’s - also returned, as did Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, who shook off a slight hamstring strain. Other good news for Micky Mellon on the injury front was the swift recovery of first choice keeper Jayson Leutwiler who had to be substituted with 20 minutes left last week.
Town made a good start to the game and had a number of decent chances early on, the first a decent curling shot from Bobby Grant after good build up play from Collins and Grimmer, and then Lawrence showed good strength to win the ball in the middle of the park and then power forward, he fed the ball to Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro who cut across the edge of the Stags box and drove in a low shot that was deflected just wide.

Nearly all of the early attacking play was coming from Town and all the players were looking to get forward when they could. Mickey Demetriou picked the ball on the left and then cut inside and breezed past his marker, he kept going and then switched the ball to Grimmer on the right, he rode a tackle and then drove into the box to cut the ball back across goal but the ball had just crossed the dead ball line.

Town were awarded a free-kick just inside the ball Stags half, Lawrence lifted a high ball in that was half cleared but only as far as Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro who attempted to hook a shot in that was blocked and then Tafazolli was happy just to head the ball behind for another Town corner.

Mansfield got their first real sight of the Town goal with just under 25 minutes on the clock, a long throw from Clements was cleared by Grandison, the ball was put straight back into the Town box but the defence was quick to close down and when the shot did come in Nathaniel Knight-Percival was there with a good block with his chest.

Ref Handley had been having a quiet game but then made a few decisions that raised the eye brows of the Town fans. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro took the ball down nicely and then drove towards goal, he nicked the ball past his marker and then appeared to be shouldered off the ball but the ref waved play on. After that there was a little altercation between Liam Lawrence and Jamie McGuire, the two clashed with Lawro looking a little bit angry about something, after a bit of pushing and shoving between the two the ref showed both players a yellow card.

On 30 minutes Mansfield were reduced to 10 men and it was Jamie McGuire who picked up a second yellow, the ball was around the halfway line and Collins and McGuire challenged for the ball, McGuire caught Collins with a high foot and both players went to ground, McGuire stayed down and needed treatment but once this was over ref Handley was reaching for his pocket for a second yellow quickly followed by the red card.

All the attacking play was coming from Town while Mansfield adjusted to having the 10 men. Lots of pressure and lots of good build up play saw Town pretty much camped in the Stags half. The home side had a great chance to take the lead when Grant fed the ball to Jack Grimmer who skipped past his marker to take him to the by-line, he pulled the ball back to set-up James Collins who connected sweetly with the ball but it was just wide of the target.

Mansfield had a decent chance when Daniel Carr got in behind the Town defence, he was closed down by Grandison but managed to find the space to hit a low shot that Leutwiler did well to get down and save and Goldson was there to tidy things up.

Mansfield were racking up the yellow cards with captain Adam Murray and Kieron Freeman both being booked after pull backs on Demetriou and Grant respectively after the Town players had nicked the ball past them and left them standing.

Half-time: 0-0

Town started the half in determined fashion looking to get the all important goal. First good chance was a long range effort from Demetriou that was just over the bar. Next a great counter attack after Town defended a Stags corner well, Demetriou put the ball to Grant who ran the length of the pitch to the edge of the Stags box, he fed Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro who skipped past one tackle and then drove in a good shot that Studer tipped over. Then minutes later another good chance after Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro picked up the ball out on the left, he played it to Lawrence who cut inside and then curled an inviting ball to the back post to find Bobby Grant who got in a decent header under pressure that was just wide of the mark.

Mansfield were proving to be a resolute opposition but Town finally got the break on 59 minutes with a superb goal. It was again from patient build up that saw Town move the ball across the field looking for the opening, the ball was played out to Grimmer on the left, once again he had the beating of his marker and broke into the box, he then laid the ball into space to set-up Bobby Grant who dispatched and unstoppable drive past Studer to make it 1-0 to Town.

Town were really piling the pressure on now and were creating chance after chance to add to their lead. Chances fell to Collins, Akpa Akpro, Lawrence and Grant but Mansfield were doing all they could to keep the scoreline at 1-0.

Town continued to create great chances to add to their lead but somehow it was staying at 1-0. Bobby Grant found the space just outside the Mansfield box to hit a lovely dipping shot that had Studer back peddling but it dropped just over the bar. Then more good work from Grimmer saw him cross the ball to the back post to find Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, he headed the ball back for Collins who turned and shot but it was just wide of the target.

Town's pressure finally paid off on 74 minutes when a corner was looped high in to the Stags penalty area, Grandison rose the highest and headed the ball down to James Collins who swivelled and smashed the ball home from close range to make it 2-0 to Town.

Micky Mellon made his first change of the afternoon on 78 minutes brining on Jordan Clark to replace goalscorer Bobby Grant. The minutes later Scott Vernon was brought on to replace Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.
Town were now comfortably in control and were passing the ball around the pitch and playing keep ball. There were passages of play where there must have to 30 to 40 passes as Town worked the ball around the pitch and made Mansfield do all the running. The chances were still being created but Mansfield were getting the blocks and saves to keep it at 2-0.

There was a great chance for Town to add a third when James Collins found the space to smash in a superb shot but Studer was there to pull off an equally good save to deny Collins a second goal.

Full-time: 2-0



Latest | November 2014