{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2014

25th September 2014 0:29

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 3 - 2 Carlisle United
Beevers 4, Bingham 37, 41. Amoo 61, Dempsey 70
Attendance: 3117 (313 from Carlisle)

Date: 20 September 2014

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

In a real game of two halves, Mansfield roared into a 3-0 lead at half-time over Carlisle, playing some super football in the opening 15 minutes and final 15 minutes of the half. Carlisle fought back in the second half with goals after 61 and 70 minutes and put the Stags under considerable pressure, playing some very good football themselves going forward. It was clear to see where Carlisle’s problems lie, and why they are bottom of the table, as their defence looked poor, but they certainly had some quality going forward. Mansfield’s three first half goals were no more than they deserved: the first goal came from an unlikely source as Lee Beevers headed home only his second Stags goal (and his first had come at Telford from a miscued cross). Liam Marsden had crossed for that goal, and Marsden provided another perfect cross for the second goal which was beautifully converted with a side-footed volley by Rakish Bingham to score his first home goal. Mansfield’s third goal came when Beevers won the ball halfway inside his own half, ran all the way to just outside the Carlisle box and teed up Bingham who fired just inside the right post. It looked like Bingham’s shot had come off the outside of his right boot, but he told us after the game that it came off his shin! Outstanding first halves from Beevers, Marsden and Bingham. But the second half was a different story as Carlisle pulled a goal back out of the blue on 61 minutes, and then proceeded to take control, scoring again on 70 minutes, and having some good chances to equalise. The Stags showed some grit to hold on in the closing stages, for back to back home wins for the second time this season, and climbing to 8th (level on points with two play-off places).

The build-up to the game had seen Carlisle announce former Stags manager Keith Curle as their new manager on Friday. Often there is a “new manager effect” when teams pick up two or three wins with new managers as players who have probably been underperforming tend to give an extra 10 or 20% in those first games. Curle himself of course won his first three league games as Stags manager when he took over the side struggling in the third tier in 2002 (see here). So it wasn’t great news for the Stags with the timing of Curle’s appointment on Friday, and although you wouldn’t have known it in the first half, the players certainly looked determined to play for the new manager in the second half. Mind you, the Stags can’t complain and had remarkable luck in the Conference promotion season when three games on the trot we played teams without a manager just before they appointed a new manager (reference here)! A classic example of the effect a new manager can have is Accrington’s 5-4 win at Northampton today.


Saturday, 20th September 2014: Mansfield Town 3, Carlisle United 2
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

After a fabulous first half display, Mansfield Town were left hanging on as bottom club Carlisle United staged a sensational second half fightback at One Call Stadium this afternoon.


The points looked as good as sealed by the break as Stags ran up a 3-0 lead through Rakish Bingham (2) and Lee Beevers.

But former Stags boss Keith Curle, who only took over the Carlisle job the day before, rallied his troops for an amazing second half rally on his old turf in which they ended up desperately unlucky to lose 3-2.

Stags had to defend desperately against the side relegated from League One last year and were not helped by a section of their own fans, who began to turn on manager and players in the last 10 minutes and booed Cox for taking off the tiring Bingham as well as barracking striker Matt Rhead for not holding up the ball better.

The win was Stags’ second in five days and took them to eighth in League Two, just one place behind the play-off spots, but left Cox and the players wondering what they have to do to get their home crowd fully onside with them.

Mansfield were unchanged for a third successive game. That meant Stags’ new signing Reggie Lambe had to be content with a place on the bench.

The visitors appointed Curle as manager yesterday and, despite initial suggestions he would be in the stand, it was announced before the game that he would be on the United bench, a move that always likely to ignite a side still looking for their first win.

However, Stags were straight onto the offensive and Bingham tested Gillespie with a curling 20-yarder inside the first minute, the keeper perfectly positioned.

Evtimov then calmly gathered a Paynter header across the box on three minutes as the Cumbrians got into the Stags half for the first time.

But the Stags were ahead on four minutes. Clements spread the ball back wide to Marsden on the right after the youngster’s long thrown had been cleared.

Marsden crossed the ball back into the danger zone and Beevers jumped to glance a looping header out of the reach of the keeper and into the top right corner of the net.

It was just the start the Stags needed against a Carlisle side that were likely to be cagey and lacking in attacking ambition.

Gillespie punched a Clements free kick away at his far post as Mansfield attacked again, then Evtimov’s challenge on Elliott on the by-line saw the ball roll off the Carlisle striker’s foot and harmlessly out for a goalkick at the other end.

Potts was well over from 30 yards a minute later.

There was a hold-up after a high Sutton ball into the box saw Rhead jump and collide with Gillespie and White, leaving all three on the turf. Rhead eventually got up but the Carlisle pair both needed treatment.

The visitors were almost level out of nothing on 23 minutes when a long far post cross looked like it would go out out of play.

Stags switched off for a moment as it was kept in and Elliott managed to roll the ball in front of goal where Riley did well to throw his body in the way before Sweeney could finish.

Bingham was booked on 26 minutes for retaliation after a midfield tussle.

Brough wasn’t too far wide with a fierce 25-yard shot on 29 minutes after cutting in from the right.

There was another hold-up for treatment after Carlisle skipper Sweeney stayed down after trying to block a clearance.

A Rhead flick almost put Bingham away, keeper Gillespie down bravely to grab before Bingham’s outstretched boot could connect.

But Bingham did find the net soon afterwards on 37 minutes.

A Marsden long throw from the left was cleared back to him. This time he chipped the ball to the far post where, from a tight angle, Bingham crashed home a right-footed volley low inside the far post.

Bingham got another sharp low finish away two minutes later, but Gillespie was down to parry and an offside flag was up anyway.

However, the striker was celebrating his brace on 41 minutes.

The goal was carved out by Beevers, who superbly intercepted a pass just outside his own box and then ran almost the length of the field before laying a pass to his right in front of Bingham, just inside the box, who swept home a finish beyond Gillespie’s dive to his left.

Four minutes were added on, delayed even further by a bang in the face for Beevers, eventually coming back on with cotton wool in his nostril.

The visitors made a double change at the break as they gamely looked to give it a go and Bell had to head away a United corner in the opening minute.

But there was a setback for the Stags on 47 minutes as Clements felt the back of his leg after stretching for a block and limped off with what looked to be a hamstring strain. The midfielder had really been finding his form of late and it was a blow for him and the team.

McGuire eventually came on for him on 49 minutes and was soon in action, heading away the Cumbrians’ second corner of the half.

White was booked for a foul on Rhead on 54 minutes, which gave Stags a free kick in a decent position, 20 yards from goal, just to the left of centre. However, the wall did its job in blocking Bell’s attempt.

To their credit, Carlisle continued to press and won another corner on 57 minutes which Evtimov clawed away and Bell complete their clearance upfield to safety.

Evtimov then dived forward to punch away a Brough cross.

But Carlisle were knocking on the door and more pressure saw Amoo find space in the box from Paynter’s square pass to bundle a 10 yard finish past Evtimov and give the visitors some hope on 61 minutes.

Murray was too high from distance in response.

But the visitors had the bit between their teeth and forced two more corners, Amoo forcing Evtimov to save a low stab at goal from the second.

And on 67 minutes, from great wingplay from Elliott, he put over a perfect cross that Amoo somehow put wide with a free header from six yards.

You could sense a second goal was coming and on 71 minutes Stags allowed Dempsey to dribble across the edge of the box from left to right, holding off three challenges before drilling a finish back across the keeper and into the net.

Lambe finally made his debut for Stags on 74 minutes in place of Bell as Stags sought to stem the blue and white tide.

Bingham tried his luck from distance but the ball was never going to come down in time.

Archibald-Henville wasn’t too far wide as he stretched his long leg to turn a far post cross by White just wide.

Mansfield had some respite as Carlisle cleared a dangerous low Marsden cross out for a corner from which Rhead met Murray’s ball in with a header that dropped onto the roof of the net.

Stags made another change on 83 minutes as Bingham was replaced up front by Fisher, a section of the home supporters deciding to boo the manager for taking off the tiring two-goal hero.

United won another corner which saw Dempsey head over as the fourth official held up the board declaring four added minutes to test the nerves.

Evtimov made a good punch and a good grab on the ground as United continued to launch the ball into the box with home fans showing their displeasure at their side’s failings.

Stags survived an almighty scramble which was almost unbearable to watch as the final whistle brought instant relief and three points earned the hard way.

STAGS: Evtimov; Sutton, Riley, Tafazolli; Marsden, Murray, Bell (Lambe 74), Clements (McGuire 49), Beevers; Rhead, Bingham (Fisher 83). Subs not used: Studer, Palmer, Heslop, Taylor.

CARLISLE: Gillespie, Grainger, Archibald-Henville, Sweeney (Amoo HT), Paynter, Dicker, Potts (Beck HT), Brough, Dempsey, White, Elliott (Kearns 83). Subs not used: Marrow, Symington, Hanford, Marriott.

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge of Sunderland.

ATTENDANCE: 3,117 (313 away).



JOHN LOMAS STAGS BLOG: To boo or not to boo? That is the question!
chad.co.uk, 22 September

I don’t think my nerves can stand too many second halves like we had in Saturday’s 3-2 home win over Carlisle United.


Without even thinking about it you suddenly realise your body is twitching into every clearance and every header as you will the team on to victory.

The game was a roller-coaster of emotions for home fans, an absolute delight for a neutral and an encouragement to the suffering Carlisle fans.

But for a section of the Stags supporters it still wasn’t good enough as boos accompanied the substitution of the exhausted Rakish Bingham, along with some abuse for manager Paul Cox, followed by abuse shouted at striker Matt Rhead near the end as Stags clung on to what they’d got.

Contrary to some of the comments on my report, I do know it was only a section of the crowd and far from the majority.

But it was many more than it needed to be and really did need reporting in the hope that some fans wake up the next day and take a reality check. Look at the table and see where the two sides are and realise just how much you should pleased right now and fully behind the team.

Some fans are telling me they were not booing at Cox as such, just angry that Bingham was being taken off while the equally exhausted Rhead stayed on the field. So that’s all right then?

The pent-up anger in that ground is unbelievable right now.

Did the Carlisle fans boo their side off at half-time at 3-0 down? Did Morecambe boo their side’s substitutions in midweek?

I also heard chants of ‘You don’t know what you’re doing’ at Cox and ‘Get off the field’ to Rhead.

If these are people who wanted to see Stags end up with three points I really hope they don’t work in man-management Monday to Friday.

This is not a Stags side on the sort of poor run that last Autumn brought for us to suffer.

This is a Stags side - yes, on a halved budget - that is surprising teams left, right and centre and only outside the play-off spots on goal difference.

This is a side that is trying hard to get the ball down and play a bit more as well as going long and it is a side that has just won back-to-back home games in a week.

Fans pay their money and are entitled to an opinion and when things are going badly, we know football fans do boo.

But the facts are that Carlisle, who once even tasted top flight football, were League One last season and, despite their poor start to the new campaign, are a far bigger club than Mansfield and will get themselves off the bottom and out of trouble soon.

Stags had no divine right to beat them. But a superb first half display saw Mansfield 3-0 up at the break.

Ex-Stags boss Keith Curle must have done a superb job with his half-time team talk as they came out and made a real fight of it.

Let’s not forget also that influential Stags midfielder Chris Clements limped off soon after the break, disrupting a starting XI that had done so well for three games.

With just seven minutes left and the game on a knife-edge, why couldn’t the boo-boys have simply given Bingham rousing applause and shouted encouragement at Rhead in an effort to help their team over the line?

Sometimes managers, teams and certain players do deserve a boo here and there. It’s part and parcel of the game. But this wasn’t one of those occasions.

The atmosphere in the tunnel afterwards felt like one of defeat as manager and players wondered what they had to do to get people onside.

Cox is certainly not perfect and is still learning all the time. Some critics on Saturday said they felt he should have sent on new boy Reggie Lambe as a sub for Clements instead of the more defensively-minded Jamie McGuire and I wouldn’t argue with them.

I would have liked to see Stags go for the jugular and score a few more goals to rub it in. But possibly Cox could see how Carlisle had come back out and sensed he might need the cavalry?

The critics’ biggest bug-bear with Cox was taking off Bingham instead of Rhead. On that one I would say I’d have done the same with Bingham still playing catch-up on his lack of full fitness.

Both were out of their feet, but you fancy Rhead to be more effective defensively with his heading ability and a better outlet to send the ball up to long and hope he can hold it up.

As it happened, Rhead’s touch let him down a couple of times near the end and he didn’t hold it up as well as he can, immediately incurring the wrath of the crowd.

I felt that frustration as much as anyone but surely a growled ‘Come on Rheady’ would have been better than some of the nasty unprintable comments he got.

In the end the side hung on anyway and ruined Curle’s return to the game and his old club. But it was great to see him back in football and I sincerely hope he does well and they finish above the drop zone, though below Stags!

Stags have now won four of their five home games, pushing then then leaders Burton all the way in the other, but the players must still feel One Call Stadium could start to become a bit of a bear pit for them again and probably feel relief they are away again this weekend where the support for them is always so much warmer.


News & Star report

Keith Curle's first game in charge of Carlisle United ended in defeat despite a dramatic second half fightback from the Blues.

Carlisle trailed 3-0 after a woeful first half with new boss Curle and No2 Colin West in the dugout.


But sub David Amoo and Kyle Dempsey both scored as United raised their game.

They couldn't find a third goal, though, and remain rooted to the bottom of League Two.

And the defeat made it a new club record winless run of 15 league games.

Mansfield took just four minutes to open the scoring when Lee Beevers headed a cross past Mark Gillespie after Liam Marsden's long throw had caused havoc.

Rakish Bingham put the Blues two behind on 36 minutes when he volleyed home Marsden's cross.

It got worse for United in the 41st minute when Beevers led a counter-attack which ended with Bingham beating Gillespie from 20 yards.

Carlisle created little against the physical hosts in the first half with a blocked Antony Sweeney shot their best effort.

Amoo and Mark Beck were introduced at the break for Sweeney and Brad Potts as Carlisle switched from a three-man defence to 4-4-2.

And it made a quick impact when Amoo made it 3-1, controlling and finishing a mis-hit Billy Paynter shot as Carlisle found a glimmer of hope.

Amoo missed a good headed chance to make it 3-2, but nine minutes later Dempsey did score when he fired home after running from left to right across the penalty area.

Carlisle laid siege to the Mansfield box at times as they tried to complete a remarkable comeback, but Beck and Troy couldn't convert their remaining half-chances.

Curle, appointed on Friday, was in the dugout despite United insisting caretaker Paul Thirlwell and Tony Caig were taking charge of the team for the final time.

Bolton loanee Hayden White, meanwhile, made his debut at the back.

There were also returns to the side for Archibald-Henville and Stephen Elliott to the starting line-up with Thirlwell suspended.

Josh Gillies was not in the squad.

United: Gillespie, White, Archibald-Henville, Grainger, Brough, Dicker, Potts, Sweeney, Dempsey, Paynter, Elliott. Subs: Hanford, Marrow, Amoo, Kearns, Beck, Symington, Marriott.

Mansfield: Evtimov, Tafazolli, Riley, Sutton, Marsden, Beevers, Murray, Clements, Bell, Bingham, Rhead. Subs: Studer, Fisher, McGuire, Palmer, Heslop, Lambe, Taylor.


MATCH REPORT: Mansfield 3 - 2 United
Author: Andy Hall
Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/article/matchreportmansfield20sep14-1926572.aspx#QzchSJvhlwwIOkRF.99

A devastating spell of first half finishing from Rakish Bingham left new boss Keith Curle with plenty to ponder as Mansfield put Carlisle to the sword at the One Call Stadium - depsite a rousing fight back from the Cumbrians which almost earned them what would have been a well deserved point.

The Stags had an early attack when Rhead won a header in midfield. Bell spread it to Bingham and he stepped inside to shoot, sending a curling effort right at Gillespie.

Carlisle responded with a looping cross from Dempsey which found Paynter in space at the back stick. He nodded it back into the mix but Evtimov got there before Sweeney could finish it off.

United failed to deal with a long throw from Marsden on 4 minutes and Marsden was eventually given space and time to curl the ball into the danger area. Lee Beevers held his ground and somehow managed to guide an unstoppable header into the bottom corner.

The visitors regrouped and Brough did well to control a long ball over the top tight by the touchline. His cross spun high into the air but a back header from Sweeney had Elliott interested. Evtimov did enough to force a stabbed toe poke to go wide of the upright.

Carlisle were unlucky not to equalise midway through the half when Brough hooked a deep ball back into the six yard box. Elliott helped it on and Sweeney put his boot through it, only to see Tafazolli slide in for the block.

It was better from the visitors and a raking pass from Dicker sent Brough into a good area. He took a touch and unleashed a powerful shot, but it flew into the side netting as Evtimov watched it pass by.

Matt Rhead provided a constant target for the hosts and his header put Bingham through as Mansfield looked to extend their lead. White recovered to make a clearance but it was quickly fed back to Rhead as he lost his man. He was at a tight angle and White swept it away before Bell could contribute.

Another long throw brought a second goal as Marsden's launched delivery was cleared into his path. He had time and space to measure his delivery and Bingham bided his time before calmly slotting a first time volley into the far corner.

The afternoon got worse just four minutes later when Beevers was allowed to carry the ball forward, from his own half, to the edge of the box. Bingham was in space and a neat touch was followed by an excellent finish.

United saw plenty of the ball after the break but they couldn't make use of their set piece deliveries and crosses as Mansfield protected their lines. However, they breathed life into the visiting support behind the goal when a sustained spell of pressure sparked a run forward from Dempsey. Dicker took over and he found Paynter, who smashed a difficult volley into the deck. It eventually came to Amoo who opened his account for the season with a very clean strike.

Elliott was unlucky not to bring his side right back in it when he volleyed a half clearance right at the keeper, and he turned provider moments later with an outswinging cross which found Amoo unmarked. His downward header had Evtimov beaten but it grazed the outside of the post.

Carlisle were right back in it with 20 minutes to go when Kyle Dempsey stunned everyone with a winding run across the face of the 18 yard box. He appeared to be going nowhere as he rode three challenges and he brought the travelling fans to their feet when he stopped dead and picked his spot with a peach of a finish.

White had to clear from a Marsden cross at the other end as Mansfield regrouped and Rhead thought he'd scored until his header from the corner which followed dropped onto the roof of the net.

United kept going and Amoo was close again with another header which went just over, and Kearns and Amoo had shots blocked as Mansfield held on through the closing stages.


Town - Beevers (4), Bingham (37, 41)

United - Amoo (61), Dempsey (71)


Town - Bingham (26)

United - White (54)


Mansfield Town - Evtimov, Tafazolli, Riley, Sutton, Marsden, Beevers, Murray, Clements (McGuire 49), Bell (Lambe 79), Bingham (Fisher 83), Rhead. Subs - Studer, Palmer, Heslop, Taylor.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, White, Archibald-Henville, Grainger, Dicker, Potts (Amoo 46), Sweeney (Beck 46), Dempsey, White, Elliott (Kearns 83). Subs - Hanford, Marrow, Symington, Marriott.

Referee - Mr Seb Stockbridge

Attendance - 3,117 (313 away fans)



Latest | September 2014