COX: CLOSE TO 2 NEW SIGNINGS + BUDGET REDUCED
Cox closing in on new signings
mansfieldtown.net, 3rd June 2014
Boss hints that two strikers could join the club in the near future.
Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/cox-closing-in-on-new-signings-1598029.aspx#kbigYsqFltOibj0I.99
Manager Paul Cox says that he is close to completing deals to bring two new strikers to One Call Stadium.
Our manager, who wouldn’t be drawn on specific names, has been meeting players and speaking to representatives since the end of last season.
As a result, the 41-year-old hopes that the club will be in a position to announce our second summer signing in the next few days.
He said: “I would have thought by the end of this week that we’ll probably be in a position to make a statement on signings coming in.
“There are two [players] that are very close. You never know until the paperwork has gone through, but we hope that they will be signed by the weekend.”
He continued: “They come within our wage structure. Their goals to games ratio - one is excellent and one is very good - and we’ve worked extremely hard on different fronts with both of them.
“Obviously, anyone that can score goals or is capable of scoring goals at this level, every club wants one of them.”
Meanwhile, our boss is still awaiting decisions from Alan Marriott, Jack Thomas, Liam Marsden and Lindon Meikle - all of whom have been offered new deals to stay at the club.
“It’s a tough position that we’re in with the players at the minute, but I understand that the players have got to look after themselves,” added Cox.
“They’ve got mortgages to pay and families to feed, so if we can agree something with them which is within our budgetary remits, then brilliant, if not, we’ve got to move on.”
Elsewhere, after Luke Jones joined us for a third spell last week, our boss admits our defensive signings are now ‘more or less’ complete.
“I think more or less, apart from a let-sided player that can play at left-back, left wing-back or anywhere down that left-hand side, that’s us for now,” said Cox.
“In terms of the squad, it might be 20 maximum this year. We might push it to 22 depending on what we can afford in the budget, but that’s us finished in terms of defenders and probably a left-back is now what’s needed.”
Paul Cox’s full press meeting this morning will be available on Stags Player later today. To subscribe, click here.
Stags boss waiting on contract trio
Mansfield Town boss Paul Cox is still waiting to see if Lindon Meikle, Anthony Howell and Alan Marriott will accept new contracts offered to them.
He said: “Talks are ongoing. But we are in a tough position and I understand they have mortgages to pay and families to feed. If we can agree something that’s within our budgeting remits then brilliant. If not we will move on.”
With Junior Daniel already turning a new deal down and moving to Port Vale, there were rumours that keeper Marriott had already turned down his deal to stay with the club, but Cox said: “That is all speculation and rumour.
“Alan Marriott is still on holiday as is Lewis Price, who I have also been speaking to. But you are going to get that as supporters have no football on a Saturday afternoon and this is an exciting time for them talking about players coming and going. It’s part and parcel of the game.
“I have spoken to a number of players. I have to cast the net wide and make sure I am doing my job.
“It is early days yet. Everyone I am talking to at the minute is talking telephone numbers. At this stage players are still under contract and mortgages are getting paid. But by the end of June when they get the wife nagging them, there is no food in the fridge and the mortgage needs paying, then they will start to cut their cloth accordingly.
“If we can do our business before then, then brilliant. But I have to make sure we do deals that are right for the player and the football club.”
Cox said he expected to hear something definite by the end of next week from all three players.
Stags on verge of double striker swoop
chad.co.uk, 03 June 2014
Mansfield Town are on the verge of unveiling two new strikers for next season.
With the club failing to properly replace goal ace Matt Green last season, fans have been clamouring for a new centre forward so will be delighted to see that, like buses, two may turn up at once this week, possibly even as early as later today.
“Everything is almost done with them and I think both will score goals at this level,” said manager Paul Cox.
“If we can score another 15-20 goals this season and take 15-20 off then it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out we’d be a lot more successful.
“Both come with a good goal to games ratio - one excellent and the other very good.
“Everybody wants a player who can score goals at this level and we have had to work very hard to get them in here.
“We are very close with both of them. Everything is done with them, but you never know until the paperwork has gone through.”
Cox denies ‘budget halved’ stories
Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox said he was annoyed to hear reports this week quoting him as saying his budget had been halved for the new season.
“I have never said anything about the budget being halved in interviews,” he said. “If I am honest, I am sick of people talking about the budget. Whether it is high, low or mediocre, I am just going to get on with my job.
Cox said he was not prepared to reveal his budget, saying: “Only one person can answer that and that is the chairman.
“I won’t tell any lies and the budget is smaller this year than last year, but I will not be disrespectful to the guy who keeps this club running.
“He is the reason I am here and I enjoy working with him. He has told me what I have to spend and he knows I will try to be successful with it.
“It does help to have money. But it’s not the be all and end all and I have managed without it in the past. You just have to work harder with the players you’ve got. This club needs to be as one again and become focused.”
Cox Denies Budget Has Been Halved
mansfield103.co.uk, Tuesday 3rd June, 2014
Mansfield Town boss Paul Cox has denied reports that he's said that his budget has been halved for the upcoming season.
He admits that the amount he has to spend is less than last year but says he has never given that figure out.
He told Mansfield 103.2 at this morning's press conference: "People have said to me that I've been quoted that it's been halved but I've not said anything.
"I'm sick of people talking about budgets. It is what it is and I'm just going to get on with it, whether it's high, low or mediocre.
"I'm not moaning about budgets, I never have done. It's a talking point and I understand that but whatever we've got to spend I'll spend.
"We'll go about our business better this year and hopefully get a better product."
Meanwhile, the Stags manager says he's on the verge of signing two strikers, both with good scoring records, and he's expecting the deals to be wrapped up by the end of the week.
Cox has also admitted that he needs to focus on bringing in a left-sided player following the departure of James Jennings and Colin Daniel.
No complaints from Paul Cox over smaller Mansfield Town budget
By Nottingham Post, June 06, 2014
MANSFIELD Town boss Paul Cox admits his transfer budget has been cut for the new season, but has dismissed reports it has been halved.
The Stags will run with a smaller squad for the 2014/15 campaign, and work is already underway to put it in place.
Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/complaints-Paul-Cox-smaller-Mansfield-Town-budget/story-21198536-detail/story.html?#D6OEcoeRIJVsEoBt.99
Striker Alex Fisher this week became Cox's second signing of the summer, following on from the return of Luke Jones.
The manager is hoping to secure the services of another front man in the coming days, and is awaiting decisions from five out of contract players offered new deals.
Bringing in someone to replace James Jennings on the left is now his priority, but Cox says there are no complaints from him at the allowance he has to work with.
"Contrary to reports, I've never said the budget was halved," said the Stags boss.
"If I'm honest, I'm sick of people talking about budgets.
"It is what it is.
"The majority of people out there will know what it is.
"I'm just going to get on with it. Whether it's high, low, mediocre, I'm just going to get on with it and work with what I've got.
"I'll try to make this club as successful as I can with whatever I've got to play with.
"In the greater scheme of things, money always tells a story.
"But I've managed without it in the past and we'll go about our business, I think, this year, in a better fashion, and hopefully get a better product."
Cox refused to be drawn on the specifics of his budget, saying that was an issue for chairman John Radford.
"There's only one person who can answer that and that's the chairman," he said.
"I'm not going to tell any lies, the budget is smaller this year than it was last year.
"But I'm not going to be disrespectful to the guy who keeps this club running.
"He's the reason I'm here and I enjoy working for him.
"I'll never be disrespectful in terms of what I say.
"He's told me what I've got to spend and he knows I'll try to be successful with it - that's all I've ever tried to do since I've been in football management.
"I've got to work harder with the players I've got; I've got to work harder to get players in I feel will add to us and make us better.
"It's irrelevant talking about budgets and whether they're high or low; I just want the football club to come together and everyone start pulling in the same direction."
Goalkeeper Alan Marriott is one of those players still to decide if they want to remain at One Call Stadium next term.
Winger Colin Daniel has already opted to move elsewhere, and Cox is keen not to get caught out should the same happen again.
He has been in touch with Crystal Palace stopper Lewis Price, who spent the end of last season on loan with the Stags while Marriott was sidelined with a dislocated finger.
"I spoke to Lewis earlier in the week," said Cox. "He's on holiday at the minute. But I've spoken to a number of players.
"We've offered deals to players we want to keep at this football club, but I'm aware those players might turn them down, so I've got to cast the net really wide.
"I've got to do my job and make sure we're not in a position where we've put all our eggs in one basket with anybody.
"That goes for Lindon (Meikle), Howellsy (Anthony Howell), it's happened with Junior and it might happen with Alan Marriott.
"But we're doing what we feel is best for the football club. I'm sure the players will feel they're doing what's best for them as an individual."
Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/complaints-Paul-Cox-smaller-Mansfield-Town-budget/story-21198536-detail/story.html?#ixzz33qTybSNl
Cox on Daniel departure
mansfieldtown.net, 3rd June 2014
Boss speaks following winger’s switch to Port Vale
Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/cox-on-daniel-departure-1597396.aspx#FeypMVSGEfGCoruL.99
Winger Colin Daniel has joined West Midlands outfit Port Vale on a two-year contract.
The 26-year-old was offered a new deal by us at the end of the 2013/14 campaign, but rejected this in order to sign for Mickey Adams’ team, who finished in 9th position in Sky Bet League One last term.
Daniel, who was nicknamed Junior, made 77 appearances during a two-year stay at One Call Stadium and was a member of our title-winning squad which won the Conference Premier in 2012/13.
He scored some sensational goals for us, nine in total, including thunderbolt long-range strikes against Morecambe and Bristol Rovers respectively, towards the end of last season.
“It’s one of those scenarios where we know we’re going to lose players,” said manager Paul Cox.
“He’s signed a two-year contract at Port Vale and its very good money. Players have got to look after their own families and interests, so we wish him all the best.”
He continued: “If Junior had consistency, he’d been playing way above League One. I know that because he came through my academy at Eastwood.
“When I first sold him to Crewe, I think they had high expectations of him being another one on the conveyor belt that they would move on to the Premier League.
“But he’s still at a good age and has plenty of time to develop and enjoy the rest of his career.”
Everyone at the club would like to thank Colin for his contributions over the past two seasons and we wish him the very best of luck in his future career.
Latest | June 2014