{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2014

8th April 2014 11:10

Rotherham United reserves 5-0 Mansfield Town reserves
Final Third Development League (East Division).
31st March 2014

Ian Deakin;
Liam Marsden, Darryl Westlake, McKenzie, Conor Green,
Louis Briscoe, Lee Stevenson, Chris Clements, Jack Thomas;
Ross Dyer, Yannick Makota (Trialist).
Kevin Hemagou for Yannick Makota (56 min)
Lamb for Ross Dyer (60 min)
Chris Spencer for McKenzie
Subs not used: Jordan Fell, Jones.
Not used: Black (injured in warm-up)


Reserves lose at Rotherham
mansfieldtown.net, 31st March 2014

Our second-string had an afternoon to forget as they conceded five second-half goals to lose 5-0 at Rotherham United in the Final Third Development League (East Division).

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/reserves-lose-at-rotherham-1456026.aspx#TWLKsz7M8j7wvlMj.99

Tom Hitchcock and Jerry Yates both scored two goals apiece, whilst Nicky Walker was also on the score-sheet.

The Stags were forced to make a late change to their starting xi as Paul Black suffered a knock in the warm-up and had to be replaced at left-back by teenager Conor Green.

Rotherham created the first opening after six minutes when West Thomas latched onto a through ball, but his low effort was comfortably saved by Ian Deakin.

The Millers thought they should have been awarded a spot-kick on 22 minutes, when Michael O’Connor burst through on goal and was barged over by Darryl Westlake on the edge of the area.

Referee Gary Rhodes opted to award a free-kick rather than a penalty, and O’Connor’s subsequent set-piece went through the Stags’ five-man wall, it sailed wide of Deakin’s right-hand post.

The Stags’ custodian and youngster Jack Thomas also required treatment in what was a physical first half, which had very few other goalscoring opportunities of any note.

However, Rotherham dominated after the re-start and went close again on 55 minutes, when O’Connor curled a 30-yard free-kick narrowly over the target.

Green produced a perfectly-timed last-ditch challenge to foil Wes Thomas only a few moments later, as the Milles continued to press forward with intent.

The South Yorkshire side eventually made a breakthrough on the hour mark when Thomas’ ball into the area reached Walker, who found the target from six yards.

The floodgates soon began to open as Hitchcock quickly made it 2-0 with an emphatic close-range finish, despite Deakin doing well to initially deny Walker.

Walker was the Stags’ chief tormentor and had a low 30-yard attempt well-saved by Deakin on 69 minutes, before he played a significant part in the Millers’ third goal.

The midfielder played an inch-perfect pass from the right flank towards substitute Yates at the back-post, who was left with a simple, close-range tap-in.

Yates enjoyed a great afternoon as he made it 4-0 with less than 10 minutes remaining, this time as he re-adjusted his body well to reach O’Connor’s right-wing cross and head past Deakin.

The Millers were now in full control and completed the scoring with on the brink of stoppage-time, when Hitchcock hammered the ball home at the near-post, following a corner.

Team: Deakin, Green, Westlake, McKenzie (Spencer), Marsden, Stevenson, Clements, Briscoe, J.Thomas, Dyer (Lamb), Trialist (Hemagou).


Millers 5 v 0 Mansfield res, report
Posted: Mon 31 Mar 2014
Read more at http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/millers-5-v-0-mansfield-res-report-1458599.aspx#q1UTIlt4JHg7focB.99

Five star second-half for the ressies...
Rotherham United Reserves finished the season in style after a comprehensive second half showing secured a 5-0 victory over Mansfield Town.

A brace apiece for Tom Hitchcock and Jerry Yates was added to Nicky Walker’s strike as the Millers cruised to a comfortable victory.

The Millers fielded a strong side for the final game of the Final Third Development League’s 13/14 season. It was good news for midfielder Mitchell Rose who made his first appearance for seven months as he continues his rehabilitation from a knee ligament injury, whilst there was also a start for Wes Thomas who has now fully recovered from a thigh strain.

It was a slow start to the game with the first opening falling to the Millers when Thomas burst forward into the area but his low shot was easily saved by Ian Deakin.

Mansfield’s first opportunity came on 22 minutes when Yannick Makota headed wide from a free-kick from the right.

The Millers were close to receiving a penalty a minute later when Michael O’Connor drove towards the area before being hurled down just outside the box. The referee awarded a free-kick with O’Connor taking the responsibility but his shot was deflected narrowly wide.

That was pretty much as good as it got for both sides with just Rob Milsom going close when he fired wide after good work from O’Connor and Walker.

Half time
Rotherham United Reserves 0 v 0 Mansfield Town Reserves

The second half was a much better spectacle and one which the Millers dominated. Firstly O’Connor fired narrowly over from a free-kick before the Millers deservedly took the lead just before the hour mark. Thomas made a positive run into the channel before squaring the ball to Walker who finished well from 10 yards, guiding the ball into the far corner with a first time shot.

It was soon 2-0 with Walker again heavily involved for the Millers. This move started with some good build up play between O’Connor and sub Yates before the ball was moved to Walker whose shot was blocked, only for the ball to fall kindly for Hitchcock who blasted home to double the Millers advantage.

On 70 minutes an O’Connor’s corner found Walker whose drilled shot was saved by Deakin, whilst at the other end Mansfield’s best chance was skied by Lee Stevenson.

The match was sewn up a minute later when Walker burst down the left before sliding the ball across the six yard area where Yates was sliding in to convert from three yards.

It was almost four on 77 minutes when Hitchcock’s firm header was tipped onto the crossbar by Deakin, before the QPR loanee delighted the crowd with a spectacular acrobatic effort which flew into the net, however the referee had already blown for an earlier offence.

The Millers were to grab a fourth on 82 minutes when Yates notched his second of the afternoon with a far post header from Milsom’s cross, before Hitchcock made it a five star performance when volleyed in O’Connor’s low corner into the near post.

Full time
Rotherham United Reserves 5 v 0 Mansfield Town Reserves

Rotherham: Shearer; Brindley, Davis, Addison, Johnson (Warrren 76), Rose (Lucas 60), Milsom, O’Connor, Walker, Thomas (Yates 61), Hitchcock.

Subs not used: Bryan, Wiles, Norfolk.

Mansfield: Deakin; Black, McKenzie, Dyer (Lamb 60), Marsden, Stevenson, Clements, Westlake, Briscoe, Makota (Jones 56), Thomas.

Subs not used: Fell, Spencer, Green, Hemagou.


Strong team for Millers reserve match

Clements to skipper team in today's match.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/strong-team-for-millers-reserve-match-1458054.aspx?#iily9m9tFgqsukFe.99

Manager Paul Cox has selected a strong starting xi for today’s Final Third Development League (East Division) match against Rotherham United.

Midfielder Chris Clements will skipper our team, which includes Darryl Westlake, Louis Briscoe, Ross Dyer and Lee Stevenson. Our subs bench consists of six youth team players, who have been good form this term.

The match is being played at the Roundwood Sports Complex, Rawmarsh. Kick-Off is at 2.00pm

Team: Deakin, Marsden, McKenzie, Westlake, Green, Briscoe, Clements, J.Thomas, Dyer, Stevenson, Trialist. Subs: Fell, Spencer, Black, Lamb, Jones, Hemagou.



Yannick Makota to 'prove a point' after Shrewsbury Town rejection
February 14, 2014

Yannick Makota, whose five-day trial with Shrewsbury Town abruptly fell through this week, has been challenged by Market Drayton Town manager Greg Clowes to prove them wrong.


“The lad’s obviously very disappointed but he knows other Football League clubs are interested,” said Clowes.

“I’ve told Yannick it’s now up to him to work even harder to earn a chance elsewhere. I’ve had several enquiries about the lad and I know Crewe Alexandra, in particular, are keen.

“I will be very surprised if they do not take him for a week once the weather improves and they can give him a proper week’s training with at least one trial game.”

The storms sweeping the country could have influenced Shrewsbury’s decision on the 16-goal young striker - but more likely is that that caretaker manager Mike Jackson is involved in a coaching reshuffle.

Ironically, that involves former Drayton coach Chris Hutchings. Deputy to Lee Ebden and then Simon Line earlier this season, Hutchings has been helping out at Town.

Saturday’s storming 1-1 draw against high-flying Evo-Stik League South Sutton Coldfield was Drayton’s seventh game without defeat. Town’s volunteer backroom team worked wonders to get the game on but another grim forecast makes tomorrow’s visit of Mickleover very doubtful.

Club secretary Rod Pope said: “We worked a minor miracle getting Saturday’s game on; if we get another deluge it would take an even bigger one.”

If the Mickleover match does get the go-ahead it has has all the makings of a thriller. They have a reputation for backing themselves with a win or bust approach, having won seven of their 13 away games and losing just five.

It would have to go some though, to match Drayton’s second half performance in the face of a fierce rain-storm against Sutton Coldfield on Saturday.

Clowes said: “The first thing I told them afterwards was that they should be really proud of themselves.

“I thought we were guilty of lacking urgency with the wind behind us in the first half but they more than made up for it.

“ Not only did they defend superbly against that gale, they took the game to them so well I thought we were unlucky not to score at least one or two more.”

Drayton’s man of the match, 19 year-old full back Sam Westray rifled them ahead in 11 minutes with a hard, low shot and Sutton keeper Lewis Gwilliams had to tip another flashing 25 yarder from him before the break.

Makota, Rob Stevenson and Mike Clarkson all had chances before sub Perron Dean slid in a 76th minute equaliser for Sutton whose combative Gary Hay also hit the post in a storming mud-splattered second half that did both sides and ref Kirk Thomas credit.


Market Drayton striker Yannick Makota is on Shrewsbury Town’s radar
February 7, 2014

Shrewsbury Town are set to run the rule over Market Drayton goal ace Yannick Makota.


The Cameroon Under-20 international, who is third in the Evo-Stik First Division South scoring charts if you discount penalties, is set to go on trial at Town next week.

The 21-year-old striker, who has scored 16 times so far this season, is understood to have been on Shrewsbury’s radar for several months as well as that of fellow League One side Crewe Alexandra.

Drayton Town boss Greg Clowes, under whose guidance the young striker has flourished, believes he can reach a higher level.

He said: “He has worked hard to be a very good player for us and with full time training with professionals, I think he could become very, very much better still.

“Shrewsbury and Crewe are first in line now but even if he joins them, I’m not sure it would be for long.

“He has great potential. If he fulfils it with them -which I’m sure he can - I’m convinced he has the ability to quickly move on up.”

While giving Makota’s trial move his blessing, Clowes wants him to continue playing for Drayton until the end of the season.

He said: “However things work out, I don’t want him to go until towards the end of the season. We have a good settled squad determined to safeguard the club’s future Evo-Stik league status and Yannick still has more to contribute towards that.”

Makota netted the latest of his 16 goals this season - all of which have come from open play - with a brace in Drayton’s 2-2 draw at Brigg Town last weekend.

He netted in the 85th and 89th minutes to rescue a point for the visitors.



Latest | April 2014