{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2014

24th March 2014 19:43

Final Third Development League Cup semi-final

Leicester City U21 2-3 Mansfield Town Reserves
Barrington 22, Panayiotou 64. Clements 7, Daniel 18, Speight 74.

King Power Stadium, 19th March 2014 7pm

Beevers (right back), Sutton (Elliot Hodgett-Young, 69), Taylor McKenzie, Aaran Tumwa (left back);
Meikle, Clements, Jack Thomas, Briscoe (Speight, 46);
Dyer, Hutchinson (Daniel, 15).
Subs not sued: Jordan Fell, Kevin Hemagou.

Aaran Tumwa, trialist Blackburn, left back.
Taylor McKenzie, trialist from Sheffield Wednesday, recently spent time on loan at Gainsborough, centre half.


Speight strike sends Stags through
mansfieldtown.net, 19th March 2014

Our second-string progressed to the Final Third Development League Cup Final after a magnificent 3-2 win over Leicester City at the King Power Stadium tonight.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/speight-strike-sends-stags-through-1430208.aspx#vwPPyDRHFeRBGLjd.99

The Stags were given a stern test by the determined Foxes, who fought back from 2-0 down to level, but were eventually beaten courtesy of Jake Speight’s predatory strike in the closing stages.

As a result of tonight’s victory, our reserves will now meet the winners of the other Semi-Final clash between Wigan Athletic and Hartlepool United.

On a windy night in Leicestershire, Mansfield began brightly and took an eighth-minute lead when an unmarked Chris Clements picked up a loose ball inside the Foxes’ area, and nonchalantly lifted the ball over Adam Smith.

Daniel replaced Ben Hutchinson on the quarter-hour mark, and soon made it 2-0, when he linked up brilliantly with Louis Briscoe on the left channel, before coolly slotting past Smith once released by his team-mate.

Leicester showed plenty of endeavour throughout the match and quickly pulled a goal back through Marcel Barrington, whose 20-yard effort caught a wild deflection which was enough to wrong-foot Ian Deakin.

George Taft could have drawn the Foxes level on 25 minutes, when he flashed a shot horribly wide of the target from the edge of the six-yard box, following Jacob Blyth’s clever flick from Callum Elder’s cross.

Michael Cain also went close with a low free-kick shortly afterwards, before Blyth tested Deakin when his audacious 25-yard effort was straight at the Stags’ custodian.

Leicester continued to create chances after the re-start, but Mansfield almost restored their two-goal cushion when Speight’s superb pull-back agonisingly evaded the reach of an unmarked Lindon Meikle, who had the goal at his mercy.

The Foxes made their opponents pay just after the hour mark when Harry Panayiotou showed a superb piece of skill to turn his marker, before venomously firing the ball past a full-stretch Deakin from a few yards out.

However, there was to be a late twist in the tale as Mansfield pounced in a rare attack with just a quarter-of-an-hour remaining, to book their place in the Final.

Meikle’s low pass reached Speight inside the area courtesy of a fortuitous deflection, and the striker made no mistake as he calmly planted the ball in the bottom-left corner, giving the ‘keeper absolutely no chance.

Team: Deakin, Tumwa, Beevers, McKenzie, Meikle, Clements, Briscoe (Speight), Dyer, Sutton (Hodgett-Young), J.Thomas, Hutchinson (Daniel).


U21s Report: City 2 Mansfield 3
lcfc.com, Wed 19 Mar 2014, Author: Jacob Landers

Leicester City’s Development squad were knocked out of the Final Third Development League Cup after a narrow semi-final defeat to Mansfield Town at King Power Stadium on Wednesday night.
The Foxes came from two goals behind to level the tie at 2-2, but a late strike from Mansfield substitute Jake Speight sent the visitors through at the expense of Leicester.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/190314-u21s-report-city-2-mansfield-3-1431815.aspx#hxGEBfkmqti6vkkz.99

Early goals from Chris Clements and Colin Daniel gave the Stags a two-goal lead with just 19 minutes gone, but a fine strike from Marcel Barrington pulled one back for City before the break.

The Foxes, who included Liam Moore in their starting line-up, levelled through frontman Harry Panayiotou’s fine finish, but Speight’s strike proved to be the winner, despite a late Leicester rally.

Development Squad manager Steve Beaglehole reflected afterwards: “We had chances but you don’t give two goals away as early as that to any team in a semi-final. I praise the players when they’ve done well, but I’m disappointed.

“We didn’t perform anywhere near our capabilities. I knew it was going to be a difficult game and I said to the players that this will be more of a test than any Under-21s game they’ve had this season, and it was.

“We’ve got Reading on Monday night at the Ricoh Arena in the league, and we need a result there, so hopefully we’ll get back to playing the type of football that we know we are capable of.”

After City had dominated the early stages, Mansfield took a surprise lead with just seven minutes gone.

Midfielder Clements took full advantage of a defensive mix-up, and coolly slotted home past Foxes ‘keeper Adam Smith and into the far corner, sending the visitors into an early lead.

City were quick to respond and nearly pulled level just a minute later, when lively striker Panayiotou was played through the centre, but his powerful strike was well-saved by Ian Deakin in the Mansfield goal.

Despite Leicester dominating possession in the early stages, Mansfield doubled their lead with 19 minutes on the clock, substitute Daniel with the goal.

The Stags striker had only been on the pitch for a matter of minutes, replacing the injured Ross Dyer, and fired a low strike into the bottom left-hand corner to make it 2-0 to the visitors.

But the Foxes were quick to reply, and pulled one back in spectacular style through forward Marcel Barrington, with 22 minutes gone.

Barrington found himself in space in the Mansfield half, and fired an unstoppable strike into the top right-hand corner from 20-yards, leaving Stags ‘keeper Deakin rooted to the spot.

City were beginning to look lively, and had a chance to draw level through Michael Cain with 28 minutes gone, but the Foxes midfielder saw his low free-kick drift inches wide of the Mansfield goal.

City started the second half brightly, and had a chance to level six minutes into the half through winger Adam Dawson, but the Foxes midfielder’s strike from distance took a deflection and looped agonisingly over the Mansfield goal.

Leicester’s pressure was finally rewarded with 25 minutes remaining, striker Panayioutou with a stunning turn and finish to level the match at 2-2. The impressive Foxes forward picked up the ball inside the penalty box and turned smartly, beating two Mansfield defenders and firing home the equaliser in emphatic style.

With the game becoming stretched, Mansfield regained the lead on 75 minutes when substitute Speight produced with a neat finish into the far corner after Meikle’s deflected cross fell kindly to him at the back post.

Leicester had a golden chance to equalise in the 79th minute, after Moore picked out George Taft in the penalty box, but Taft could only strike wide from close range.

Next up for City’s Development squad is a home game at the Ricoh Arena against Reading in the Barclays U21 Premier League on Monday 24 March (7pm KO).

CITY: Smith, Moore (c) (Anton, 84), Elder, Watson, Kennedy (McCourt, 79), Taft, Dawson (Stankevicius, 85), Cain, Blyth, Panayiotou, Barrington
SUBS NOT USED: Simpson, Frempah

MANSFIELD: Deakin, Tumwa, Beevers, McKenzie, Meikle, Clements, Briscoe (Speight, 45), Dyer (Daniel, 17), Sutton, Thomas, Hutchinson (c)
SUBS NOT USED: Hodgett-Young, Hemagou, Fell



Latest | March 2014