{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2014

2nd March 2014 23:02

26th February 2014
Mansfield Town reserves 0-3 Scunthorpe United reserves
Kirklington Road, Rainworth
Att: 88


video of the goals


Reserves beaten by clinical Iron
26th February 2014
by Andrew Webb, mansfieldtown.net

Our reserve team missed the chance to go top of the Final Third Development League (East Division), as they were beaten 3-0 by Scunthorpe United at Kirklington Road tonight.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/reserves-beaten-by-clinical-iron-1385347.aspx#VcmXJe2f8KTT3fvb.99

The Stags dominated territorially but created few clear-cut opportunities against a clinical Iron team, who hit three unanswered goals after the re-start.

Etienne Esajas opened the scoring on 53 minutes, when he cut inside from the right flank and drove a low 20-yard effort into the bottom-left corner.

The visitors made it 2-0 with less than a quarter-of-an-hour remaining when Esajas’ deep right-wing cross was headed home at close-range by an unmarked Callum Howe.

Esajas completed the scoring in the closing stages with a speculative 25-yard snap-shot, which looped up and over the reach of Stags’ custodian Ian Deakin.

Lindon Meikle struck the post in our best move of the match late on, before Ross Dyer’s follow-up attempt was blocked on the line by George Grayson.

It was also a bad night for young full-back Liam Marsden, who was forced off after sustaining a nasty cut to the eye midway through the first half.

The defeat means we remain a point behind leaders Hull City at the top of the table, with just two more matches of the campaign remaining.

Team: Deakin, Marsden (Asare), Beevers, McGuire, Black, Murray, Hutchinson, Briscoe, Meikle, Dyer, Palmer. Unused Subs: Fell, Thomson, Fitzpatrick.


Nothing In Reserve? Rubbish
Written by Craig Priest & Emily Sykes

After Tuesday’s defeat against Bury, a few fans walking back to their cars were saying that we were doomed for the drop as we had “nothing in reserve”, last night the second string were in action at Kirklington Road against Scunthorpe United, we decided to pop along to see exactly what Stags had in reserve should they make changes, for those whose answer was “nothing” that’s rubbish.

Despite being on the wrong end of a 3-0 score line as Scunthorpe’s Etienne Esajas netted either side of captain Callum Howe’s forceful header, the Stags put in a pleasing display with a number of players sending a clear message to Paul Cox that they should be in contention for a first team start on Saturday , The Stags boss watched on from the side lines, spending the majority of the first half in deep conversation with Iron boss Russ Wilcox.

It was a very miss-matched line-up from the Stags but they did manage to start with only one young professional on the field in the excellent Liam Marsden, which just highlights that Cox has options to call upon should he wish. Full back Lee Beevers completed a full 90 minutes at centre back, pairing man of the match Jamie McGuire who later moved to right back mid-way through the first half when Liam Marsden was withdrawn with a gash to the eye which later required four stitches.

Wingers Louis Briscoe and Lindon Meikle also got a full 90 minutes with the latter doing his chances of a first team call no harm with a committed display on the left hand side. Ollie Palmer paired Ross Dyer up front whilst Ben Hutchinson skippered the side alongside assistant manager Adam Murray in central midfield. The somewhat out-of-favour Paul Black also got a full match under his belt at left back, linking up well with Meikle.

Like we mentioned yesterday, commitment and bottle were lacking on Tuesday against Bury as the shakers ran out easy 4-1 winners, last night, the performance of McGuire especially highlighted just what was needed to prevent the first teams fall.

Playing out of position across the back line, the lively midfielder led from the back with a vocal display and wasn’t afraid to get stuck in despite being in uncharted territory, he won a fair 85% of his ariel battles with James Jennings’ brother Connor who led the visitors front line. McGuire didn’t take it easy and not put 100% effort in like some would in a reserve team outing, the lively midfielder was there to stake a claim on a start on Saturday.

Likewise Lindon Meikle, the livewire wide man put a real shift in down the left hand side, driving at his full back and getting numerous crosses and cut backs in which sadly, just wouldn’t fall right for Palmer or Dyer. Meikle’s energy was breath of fresh air as he continued to chase directional passes from Paul Black, who many are calling for a first team start, not forgetting to mention the service created from Murray, whose sharpness evolved as the game progressed, and Hutchinson who was another perhaps out of his comfort zone in centre midfield.

All in all, we’d be happy to see three, maybe four of that squad last night given a shot on Saturday. Mansfield enjoyed the better of the game in the first half but were rocked when Esajas broke the deadlock with a low drive beyond Deakin on 53 minutes. Iron skipper left Deakin with no chance for the second, glancing home a powerful header following a succession of set plays, the third followed soon after, the classy Esajas lobbing Deakin from distance to wrap up the win.

For the Stags though, defeat mattered little as the players got vital game time, let’s just hope that those who shone brightest, get given the chance to make a difference in the first team at the weekend.


Read more at http://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/article/reserves-win-3-0-at-mansfield-1385360.aspx?#Gj82MrBXlZXjmywu.99

Etienne Esajas scored a brace as the Iron beat Mansfield Town 3-0 at Kirklington Road - the home of Evo-Stick side Rainworth Miners Welfare.

Defender and reserve team captain Callum Howe scored his second goal in as many games, the first coming for Gainsborough at the weekend, as the Iron eased to their second victory over the Stags this season.

In a goalless first half, it was United who dominated proceedings, and they could have taken the lead inside seven minutes when Curtis Bateson and Connor Jennings were involved in a meaningful move.

Jennings, who played the full 90 minutes on his comeback to competitive football following a serious injury in December, was denied several times in quick succession by the Stags defence.

The United striker, who was prolific while out on loan at Macclesfield Town earlier this season, looked like a player full of confidence as he again looked to give United the lead during the opening exchanges.

He tried his luck from outside the area but unfortunately for him, his shot was always curling away from the Mansfield goal.

The best the hosts could offer during the first half came through Ross Dyer, however, his shot never threatened James Severn in the Iron goal - who had a quiet and cold evening.

At the break United traded experience for youth as they withdrew Andy Dawson in favour of George Grayson and the visitors' next forceful attack came down the left wing.

Great play down the left wing led to the ball finding its way to Jennings, who found himself in the middle of the park, but his pass which was intended for another substitute - Jamie Wootton - was cut out by a home defender.

With United looking to get the first goal Mansfield stepped up the pressure of their own.
Louis Briscoe, who skied a late penalty on the opening day of the season at Glanford Park, sent his shot high and wide on to the roof of the tea room located behind Severn's goal.

The Iron took the lead just eight minutes after the restart.
Esajas, who has found first team opportunities hard to come by in recent months, created some room on the edge of the area before he unleashed a low drive which crept underneath the diving Ian Deakin.

That gave the visitors confidence of grabbing a second and they almost did just a minute later.
Jennings, who was surrounded by a few defenders, created a little bit of space for himself on the edge of the area but his toe-poke towards goal lacked enough power to make Deakin work.

With just over two thirds of the game played, the Iron came close to doubling their lead once again - and it was Esajas who orchestrated the move.

His deep free kick allowed Luke Waterfall to escape his marker, seven yards out, but he was unable to keep his header on target.

United made their pressure count with just 10 minutes remaining when Howe doubled their lead.

The centre-half escaped his man after Esajas put a perfectly weighted ball into the box and he headed home at the back post.

Within a minute of Mansfield getting the game back under way they found themselves in trouble again.
Esajas capitalised on a defensive mistake and he unleashed a shot from outside the box which took everyone, both on and off the pitch by surprise.

His dipping effort left Deakin motionless as the ball flew over his head and nestled in the top corner.

In added time the Iron, who were being managed by Andy Dawson and Paul Harsley, could have heaped more misery on the home side as Wootton glanced a header towards goal from Andy Welsh's cross, another United player who played the full game having been out injured for much of the season.

This time Deakin was alert enough to tip the ball over the bar.

Iron team: Seven, Hare, Howe, Waterfall, Dawson (Grayson,45), Sutton, Bateson (J Wootton, 45), Boyce (Hood, 83), Esajas, Welsh, Jennings.
Subs not used: Weaver, K Wootton, Mawson.



Latest | March 2014