{ the news }
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from December 2013

30th December 2013 10:57

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Rochdale 3 - 0 Mansfield Town
Hogan 5, 50, Lund, 12.
Attendance: 2671 (app 200 from Mansfield)

Date: 26 December 2013

Martin Shaw at Spotland

Mansfield Town turned in a clueless and embarrassing performance at promotion-chasing Rochdale on Boxing Day to go down to a thumping 3-0 defeat. The Stags had no quality going forward, while there was slack marking at the back and far too many crosses allowed in to the middle. The game was as good as over as a contest after just 12 minutes with Rochdale 2-0 ahead. Mansfield showed little fight and no quality after that. The players look completely shot of confidence and it is not easy to see where the next win is going to come from.

Stagsnet report here


Thursday, 26th December 2013: Rochdale 3 Mansfield Town 0
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield Town’s miserable run without a League win reached 13 games as they were outclassed 3-0 at Rochdale this afternoon.


Spotland has rarely been a happy hunting ground for the Stags and this was an 11th game without a win there and a fourth successive trip there without scoring.

So the omens were not good before kick-off, and Stags then proceeded to concede twice in the first 12 minutes to all but see their chances gone.

Whatever was said in the half-time team talk was then destroyed inside five minutes as the home side added a third, Scott Hogan’s second, and it was all over with 40 minutes still to suffer.

With regular keeper Josh Lillis ill, the home side were forced to give Robbie Thomson a debut in goal, and Stags failed to manage even one shot on target all afternoon as he enjoyed an easy 90 minutes.

The home side always seemed to be a gear above Mansfield in speed and movement and their quality left Stags chasing shadows at times.

Rochdale had wobbled and lost their previous two home games, but they never looked in any danger in a thoroughly disappointing Boxing Day trip for Stags’ freezing, faithful away supporters.

The Mansfield side showed four changes. Jamie McGuire, Lee Stevenson and Ritchie Sutton were dropped to the bench with James Jennings out of the 16 altogether.

Into a 4-3-3 came Lee Beevers in defence, Chris Clements and Anthony Howell into midfield and Ollie Palmer up front.

Rochdale eventually managed to clear from a long early Beevers throw into their box and break well with the ball worked out left to Rose, whose dangerous low cross in was well held by Marriott as both sides made a lively start.

But the home side swept in front after only five minutes.

The goal was simplicity itself as Cummins sent in a cross from the left and Hogan rose to plant a header just under the angle.

Soon after Palmer did well to send in a low cross from the right, but there was no one there to tuck it away and the ball rolled to safety.

Palmer’s persistence then won Mansfield the game’s first corner on 11 minutes, Clements’ right-footed inswinger headed clear at the near post.

However, within a minute the home side had doubled their advantage.

Vincenti was found in acres of space on the right and he curled a tempting low cross right in front of goal where Lund slid in to net from close range.

Vincenti then needed treatment after being chopped down by a mistimed Howell tackle, the midfielder lucky to only receive a lecture from the referee.

Beevers did well to prevent Vincenti crossing from the right as Stags were caught four-on-three on a break with McCombe well up the field out of position.

On the half-hour Henderson was only inches over with a dipping 20-yard effort.

On 33 minutes Stags finally threatened as Dyer had a shot charged down outside the box and Clements laid the ball to Howell off the back of his heel.

He teed up Beevers from a left wing cross and Palmer rose to nod wide at the far post.

Mansfield followed that with a second corner from the left from which the referee spotted pushing and the pressure on the home side was relieved.

Stags then easily cleared the first Dale corner on 38 minutes.

Soon after Andrew won a free kick 20 yards out, but Clements’ low kick was easily blocked by the wall.

Cummins planted a header well wide from Rose’s left wing cross as we moved towards the final minute of the half.

In stoppage time, Dale almost conjured up a superb goal after Dyer had given the ball away and Rafferty had worked an opening for a far post cross where Cummins had been left unmarked, just unable to keep his rasping volleyed finish down enough to find the net.

Stags delayed the start of the second half as only seven men came back out. Beevers and Westlake then appeared before Andrew came out very late as the home fans booed and the referee waited to blow the whistle.

That still only gave Stags 10 men for the start as Palmer ran straight out onto the field and into the action seconds later.

It was a bizarre start to a half in which Stags needed to be hungry and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

There was controversy within four minutes as Vincenti skinned Riley down the right and crossed for Henderson only to see Marriott smother bravely at his feet.

The ball ran loose to Cummins who saw Westlake block his near post finish on the line. The home side were incensed as they argued Westlake had handled.

But it didn’t matter seconds later as Rose twisted and turned on the left before sending in a low cross in front of goal that Hogan turned home from close range on 50 minutes.

That promoted the first shouts of ‘what a load of rubbish’ from the suffering away fans, who had been encouraging as their side came back out.

Meikle was immediately sent on for Dyer and within two minutes was booked for a foul, Lund firing the free kick straight at Marriott.

Stags won a couple of corners, but again Thomson was untested.

Hogan thought had completed a hat-trick on 58 minutes after Rose had easily turned away from Andrew on the left and put the ball into the centre. But this time his close range first time finish was straight at Marriott.

When McCombe could not get up to head a lofted forward ball, Cummins looked in on goal until Westlake came across to rescue the situation with a fine sliding tackle to concede a corner that was cleared.

Daniel was sent on for the last 16 minutes as the afternoon continued to race away from Mansfield.

A neat move from Andrew and Westlake at least carved out Stags’ sixth corner, but once again the home side stood firm.

Howell soon won corner number seven as we reached the last eight minutes, Clements swinging it in well but, again, no one there to reach it.

ROCHDALE: Thompson, Rafferty, Cavanagh, Lancashire, Vincenti, Hogan (Bunney 82), Lund, O’Connell, Rose, Cummins, Henderson. Subs not used: Collis, Bennett, Eastham, Hery, Done, Allen.

STAGS: Marriott; Westlake, McCombe, Riley, Beevers; Murray, Clements, Howell; Dyer (Meikle 50), Palmer (Daniel 74), Andrew. Subs not used: Stevenson, McGuire, Briscoe, Sutton, Deakin.

REFEREE: Mark Haywood of West Yorkshire.



Rochdale 3 Mansfield Town 0: Match report
Nottingham Post report by Matt Halfpenny

THE dark and foreboding moors that could be seen from the stands at Spotland were a cruel, yet ideal, metaphor for another abject Mansfield Town performance that cranked up the heat on manager Paul Cox in the Lancashire cold.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Rochdale-3-Mansfield-Town-0-Match-report/story-20369106-detail/story.html#ixzz2oc8xq7KE

No doubt, the under-fire Stags boss was hoping the festive period would spark a change in fortunes and bring him some much-needed Christmas cheer.

Instead, those hopes disappeared even before the sun had set from the late afternoon sky as ragged Mansfield conceded twice inside the opening 12 minutes, meaning it was always going to be the bleakest of outcomes from thereon in.

It was an unlucky 13th game without a league win for the Stags, who looked devoid of ideas, leadership and inspiration, quite apart from a thorough lack of confidence.

One more game without victory and the team, who have now dropped to 21st in League Two, will equal an unwanted club record of 14 matches - set across two seasons between March and September 2000.

It really is desperate times for the Stags. It seems a long time ago they were dreaming of the play-offs and challenging for a place in League One in early Autumn.

The fans who had made the trip across the Pennines certainly made their feelings clear, chanting “What a load of rubbish,” and many leaving well before the end.

Mansfield made four changes to their starting line-up - having made five for their previous game, the 3-2 defeat at home to Accrington on Saturday - and there was also a change in formation.

Out went James Jennings, Ritchie Sutton, Jamie McGuire and Lee Stevenson and into a 4-3-3 formation came Chris Clements, Anthony Howell, Lee Beevers and Ollie Palmer.

Rochdale made the brighter start, but it was Clements, for Mansfield, who almost threaded in Palmer, only for Oliver Lancashire to make a timely interception.

However, Dale were in front in only the fifth minute when Graham Cummins got to the left byline and cut back onto his right foot to deliver for Scott Hogan, whose perfect header from eight yards found the top left-hand corner.

The Stags tried to respond quickly as Clements and Ross Dyer combined to find Palmer in the box, but he dragged his shot well off target.

Mansfield were ripped apart again as Rochdale scored a second with the game still in its infancy. Peter Vincenti was given far too much room by Lee Beevers to whip in a low, inviting cross from the right flank and, with Alan Marriott unable to intercept, Matthew Lund swept into an empty goal from close in.

A swift break from the Stags saw Palmer flash wide of the target after being put into space on the edge of the box by Darryl Westlake, although the effort would not have stood after the referee blew up for a handball.

With Mansfield caught upfield attacking, another counter saw Lund pick out Vincenti, but this time Beevers stood his ground to cut out his intended cross.

There was another moment of concern for the visitors when John McCombe left his back pass woefully short and Marriott had to dash off his line at full tilt to clear from the onrushing Hogan.

The invention Mansfield were lacking was supplied in abundance by Ian Henderson at the other end as he jinked his way past Clements, only to over-hit his through ball for Lund.

With the half hour mark approaching, Anthony Howell suddenly burst through but he never had the ball under full control and was eventually muscled out of it.

Mansfield’s first decent chance arrived in the 33rd minute as Howell laid off for Beevers who skipped onto his left foot before delivering for Palmer, whose header was disappointingly wide of the right-hand upright from a central position.

The Stags’ first half was summed up when Clements’ free-kick from a good position on the right-hand corner of the box failed to clear the first man.

With half-time imminent, a ball in from the left by Michael Rose saw Cummins head wide, and the striker then volleyed over when left unmarked as Joe Rafferty picked him out from the other flank.

Unbelievably, Mansfield started the second period with 10 men as Palmer was late appearing from the tunnel.

Soon after, the visitors were once again caught on the counter with Marriott forced to make a smart save, diving at the feet of Henderson.

But the respite was short-lived as Rose was left with acres of space to centre low to the near post for Hogan, whose deft flick flew into the roof of the net on 50 minutes.

From then on, it was pretty much a Rochdale procession as a last-gasp tackle denied a clean through Cummins and Henderson’s low centre from the right caused a scramble that Mansfield just about survived.

For their part, the Stags failed to test home debutant keeper Robbie Thomson once.

It was indicative of what has to rank as their worst display of an increasingly disappointing season so far.

Rochdale: Thomson, Rafferty, Cavanagh, Lancashire, Vincenti, Lund, O’Connell, Rose, Henderson, Cummins, Hogan (Bunney 82). Subs not used: Collis, Bennett, Eastham, Hery, Done, Allen.

Mansfield: Marriott, Westlake, Riley, McCombe, Beevers, Murray, Clements, Howell, Dyer (Meikle 50), Palmer (Daniel 74), Andrew. Subs not used: Stevenson, McGuire, Briscoe, Sutton, Deakin.

Referee: Mark Haywood (West Yorkshire).

Attendance: 2,671.


Report: Dale 3-0 Mansfield Town
Read more at http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/report-dalevmansfield-1255130.aspx?#YseOtL80izSup9Ar.99

Rochdale brought festive cheer to home supporters on Thursday afternoon with a comprehensive Boxing Day victory over Mansfield Town at Spotland.

The 3-0 win over the Stags came courtesy of a Scott Hogan double and a goal from Matty Lund.
Hogan opened the scoring on five minutes, before Lund doubled Dale’s advantage seven minutes later. Hogan wrapped up the three points for Rochdale shortly after the break.
There were three changes to the side who lined up against Southend United on Friday night. Robbie Thomson was handed a debut as he replaced Josh Lillis who missed out due to illness. Peter Cavanagh made his first start since August, while Peter Vincenti was also included in the eleven. Ashley Eastham and Jamie Allen were on the bench.
Rochdale started the game brightly and took the lead after just five minutes - Scott Hogan with the goal. Graham Cummins was the provider as he delivered a perfect cross into the box from the left hand side for the awaiting Hogan, who opened the scoring with a postage stamp header.
GOAL: Rochdale 1-0 Mansfield Town (Hogan, 5 minutes)
It was a deserved goal, with Dale showing quality during the opening exchanges and the rest of the match. Just moments before Hogan broke the deadlock, a sweeping move forward from the home side opened up the Mansfield Town defence. Peter Vincenti did well to win the ball inside his own half, playing in Hogan who sent the ball wide to Michael Rose. The left full back fired an effort goal wards and into the hands of ‘keeper Alan Marriot.
Rochdale looked comfortable and they doubled their advantage in the 12th minute through Matty Lund, who fired home after getting on the end of a low ball across the face of goal from Vincenti.
GOAL: Rochdale 2-0 Mansfield Town (Lund, 12 minutes)
Dale remained in control and on the half hour mark Ian Henderson came close to extending Rochdale’s lead further.
After linking up with Cummins, he rifled a shot goal wards from just outside the 18-yard box. It troubled ‘keeper Marriot, but the effort flew just inches over the bar.
For a short spell the visitors made more of an impact, but failed to put Rochdale under pressure, and it was Dale who finished the half on top.
In stoppage time in the first half Cummins had an opportunity to net Dale’s third of the afternoon, but he sent a first time volley over the bar after getting on the end of fine cross from Joe Rafferty.
HT: Rochdale 2-0 Mansfield Town
After what was an almost 20 minute break, the second half got underway in unusual circumstances with the referee starting the match before Mansfield Town had all eleven players on the pitch. The referee waited for a late Calvin Andrew to join his team mates, but started the half without Ollie Palmer, who took his time returning to the action. He took his place in the Stags’ attacking line around 30 seconds after the re-start.
Rochdale started the half in a high tempo fashion and in the 49th minute put the visitors’ defence under pressure with yet another well worked move.
Hogan, who was energetic all afternoon, drove down the right hand side of play before picking out Henderson in the middle of the pitch. He was through one on one with Marriot, who pulled off a timely block. And while the ‘keeper stopped Henderson from getting a shot away, he was unable to smother the ball and it was picked up Cummins, who blasted an on target effort at goal from an acute angle. It was cleared off the line by the Stags and sent out for a corner.
And it was good work from the resulting corner which led to Dale’s third of the afternoon.
Rose delivered a fantastic ball into a dangerous position and Hogan found the back of the net from close range.
GOAL: Rochdale 3-0 Mansfield Town (Hogan, 50 minutes)
Momentum stayed with Dale and two minutes later there were appeals for a penalty as Rose was up ended. The referee adjudged that he had been brought down on the edge of the area and a free-kick was awarded. Lund took the resulting set piece, but Marriot was there to collect.
Shortly before the hour mark another swift move from Dale saw Rose send another dangerous ball into the box - Hogan made himself available and he fired a powerful effort at the ‘keeper, forcing him into an important save to deny the front man.
Dale were in cruise control, and ten minutes later Cummins, who was played in by a ball over the top, was unable to get the all important shot away as he was closed down by a timely block from substitute Lindon Meikle.
Similarly to the first half Mansfield Town enjoyed a short period of possession towards the end of the half, but a cool Dale stood strong and looked unfazed by the late showing, and looked comfortable until the full time whistle.
It finished Rochdale 3, Mansfield Town 0.


Dale Boxing clever: Rochdale 3 Mansfield 1
By Richard Partington

Rochdale manager Keith Hill said his side were ‘right on point’ in their quest for promotion after brushing Mansfield aside with a comfortable Boxing Day victory at Spotland.


Rochdale manager Keith Hill said his side were ‘right on point’ in their quest for promotion after brushing Mansfield aside with a comfortable Boxing Day victory at Spotland.

Goals from Matthew Lund and a double from Scott Hogan ensured Dale collected all three points from the first of their festive home double-header.

The victory elevated Dale back into League Two’s play-off places, just three points off leaders Chesterfield.

Dale are back in action on Saturday when Bristol Rovers make the journey north and while Hill said he would be looking for a similar result, he isn’t paying too much attention to the table.

“The league table doesn’t matter to me,” he said.

“Performances and results takes care of themselves. Who knows what will happen except after 46 games? That’s when we can sit down and look at what we’ve done right and what we’ve done wrong. At the moment, we’re right on point, we’ve won 50 per cent of games this season and it was an excellent result.”

Dale started the game well and their early pressure was rewarded when they took the lead through Hogan six minutes in.

Graham Cummins found space on the left before firing a cross into the box. Hogan rose above his man and powered a header into the top corner for his tenth of the season.

Mansfield struggled to cope with Dale when the ball went out wide and that was clear again on 12 minutes when the home side doubled their lead.

Peter Vincenti found himself in acres of space on the right and sent a low delivery across the face of goal.

Hogan couldn’t quite get to it with his outstretched boot but Lund came racing in at the back post and slotted the ball past Alan Marriott to make it 2-0.

The result was wrapped up on 50 minutes when Dale registered their third and Hogan netted his second.

This time it was a sumptuous delivery from Michael Rose on the left, sending a low ball into the near post for Hogan and he steered a confident finish past Marriott.

Hogan went close to scoring his hat-trick on the hour mark when he fired on target, but Marriott was able to make a good save.

Mansfield offered little threat throughout the match, failing to get a single shot on target­ to test debutant goalkeeper Robbie Thomson, handed his first start after Josh Lillis was taken ill on the morning of the game.

Hill hailed the professionalism of his players, both in their performance and their self discipline over the Christmas period.

“We’re right on track at the moment,” he said.

“We’ve kept a clean sheet, we’ve won 3-0 at home after scoring three good goals, and it could have been more.

“It was a very professional performance.

“I trust these players. They’ve not let me down all season. We’ve had two superb training sessions this week and having the weekend off was good as it rejuvenated us and gave us a lot of energy.”



Latest | December 2013