{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2013

2nd December 2013 12:28

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Burton Albion 1 - 0 Mansfield Town
Kee 78.
Attendance: 2759 (905 from Mansfield)

Date: 26 November 2013

Martin Shaw at the Pirelli Stadium

Mansfield Town were beaten again this evening, and have now taken just three points from the last 9 winless matches. But the game hinged on two key refereeing decisions, both of which went against the Stags. The first was the Burton winning goal, on 78 minutes which should have been disallowed for a push by scorer Billy Kee on Lee Beevers: as McGurk’s cross came in from the right, Kee pushed Beevers in the back and then headed the ball into the net. Then on 85 minutes as a Burton player blatantly handballed just inside the box on the right under pressure from Sam Clucas. From my position in the press box, it was so blatant that it was inexcusable that the assistant referee on the right did not see it, even if the referee himself may have been unsighted.

Overall this was a tight game. Burton were the better side in the first half, with more possession and created about 6 half chances, though the best chance of the half fell to Lee Stevenson on 44 minutes after a good one-two with Chris Clements put Stevenson through on goal, but Stevenson couldn’t beat the keeper from inside the box. The Stags were the better side in the second half creating two good chances for Meikle (a header from close range and a low shot well saved by the keeper), a header for Clucas, and then towards the end a Matt Rhead clean header just over the bar. The Burton goalkeeper Dean Lyness was named the home team’s man of the match. So overall, with Burton the better side in the first half and the Stags the better side in the second half, this was a very even game, but Burton got the rub of the green from the two key decisions to claim the points, when it could just as easily have gone the other way. Hugely frustrating.

Paul Cox made one change from the side that lost 5-4 at Fleetwood. Poku came in for his first start in the Stags shirt, in place of the out-of-form Howell. Jennings, so disappointing in a substitute appearance at Fleetwood, was dropped from the 18. There was a change in formation to 4-4-2 with Sutton at right back and Beevers at left back, and Clucas in right midfield and Daniel left midfield. Been Hutchinson returned from injury to the bench. Burton included former Stags midfielder Lee Bell as their captain. And they had 50 year old keeper Kevin Poole on the bench.

Stagsnet report here

Man of the match: Ollie Palmer


BURTON 1 -0 MANSFIELD: More late heartache
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

It was fine lines again for Mansfield Town as they were sentenced to a fifth straight League defeat by a single goal from Burton sub Billy Kee 12 minutes from time at the Pirelli Stadium.


Once again the Stags had largely held their own against decent opposition and looked like gaining a point until Kee’s goal won it for the Brewers seven minutes after coming on to leave Mansfield without a League win in nine games ahead of Saturday’s visit of Morecambe.

Godfrey Poku finally made his full Mansfield Town debut 17 months after signing for the club.

He had a lively night in central midfield as Stags used a 4-4-1-1 formation in an otherwise unchanged side.

Hussey almost grabbed a fortunate third minute lead for Albion when his 40-yard free kick went through everyone and almost crept in at the far post, Marriott at full stretch to turn it away for a corner that he had to punch clear.

Stags then won a corner from which they were penalised for handball.

On 11 minutes McGurk turned Riley to get away a shot at Marriott from just outside the box.

Stags then lost Sutton to a thigh injury after a quarter of an hour, and briefly played on with 10 men before Meikle came on, Daniel dropping to left back and Beevers swapping to right back.

On 19 minutes Daniel’s attempted clearance struck an opponent and bounced perfectly into the path of Knowles, whose low shot was saved by Marriott.

Dempster then produced a superb last ditch tackle as McGurk threatened to go past him and clear.

Clements was booked for persistent fouling on 21 minutes and on the restart McGurk was narrowly wide from the free kick.

McGurk was too high from distance and then unable to get any power onto an overhead effort, while Knowles was inches over from 20 yards, as Stags weathered a good spell of home pressure.

On 36 minutes Stags had a let-off as Hussey floated a neat ball to the far post from the left where McGurk headed back across to no one when he might have had a go himself.

Mansfield finally fashioned a clear chance on 44 minutes.

Stevenson caught Sharps in possession and swapped quick passes with Clements to be threaded through on goal with only Lyness to beat only to see the keeper thwart him with an outstretched left arm.

But it would have been a goal against the run of play as a largely uneventful half ended goalless.

Lyness had to slide in to tackle the incoming Palmer as he chased down Cansdelol-Sherriff’s short backpass in the opening seconds after the break.

Then Beevers was caught out as Hussey raced away onto a diagonal pass behind him and forced Marriott to parry at his near post, Cansdelol-Sherriff heading the resulting corner wide.

Meikle had sight of goal after a tackle on Palmer saw the ball break for him only to slice it horribly wide of the near post.

Stevenson took a second knock of the night and this time hobbled off to be replaced by Rhead,

Clucas headed a long Clements free kick straight at Lyness from six yards on resumption of play.

The home side made a double change on 71 minutes as they went for broke.

Meikle’s low poke at goal then required a save as Burton tried to clear a long Beevers throw.

Palmer turned Daniel well to race into the opposition half before firing well over.

But, just when it looked like Stags might leave Burton with a decent point, sub Kee spoiled their night with a goal 12 minutes from time.

McGurk sent a cross over to the far post where Kee was allowed to easily bury a close range header that Marriott got a hand to but, from that range, was unable to stop.

Howe sent McDonald away to finish the job on 84 minutes, this time Marriott down to make a good stop.

Rhead headed over Stags’ final chance from a Clements corner a minute from time before Marriott made a superb low save to keep out Kee’s finish from a home break in the final minute.


Burton Albion 1 Mansfield Town 0: Match report
Nottingham Post report by Matt Halfpenny

And so the misery drags on for Mansfield Town.


What for so long looked like it would be an evening when a draw and a point would stem the flow of recent disappointments ended up in yet another defeat.

The healthy away following gathered in the West Stand at Buton's Pirelli Stadium were not happy - and understandably so. This was, after all, a fifth straight league defeat.

As they headed for the exit there were some muffled boos, a reaction stemming from having witnessed their side serve up another below-par display.

Gone was the adventure that saw four goals scored at Fleetwood to be replaced by a dogged determination to eek something out.

But even that hoped vanished against a Burton side not much better on the night, but who made the most of the one serious opening that came their way.

Godfrey Poku was handed his first competitive start for Mansfield as the only change in personnel from the 5-4 defeat at Fleetwood, Anthony Howell making way.

There was, however, a switch in formation as the Stags went 4-4-1-1 as opposed to the 3-4-1-2 they employed at Highbury, no doubt in a bid to address some of their defensive problems.

The first goalmouth action saw Alan Marriott forced to claw away an inswinging Chris Hussey free-kick that eluded everyone and looked to be sneaking into the left-hand corner.

Adam McGurk then turned sharply 25 yards from goal, but his long-range drive was comfortably dealt with by Marriott.

The Stags suffered a blow in the 16th minute when Ritchie Sutton went off clutching his left thigh and was replaced by Lindon Meikle, meaning Colin Daniel dropped back into a defensive role.

Marriott was called into action again soon after but was equal to the task to hold Dominic Knowles' shot after Colin Daniel's clearance had been charged down.

With defences dominating, Knowles tried his luck from just outside the box with a snapshot, but was just too high.

Burton continued to enjoy the majority of the possession and McGurk should have done better when he headed back across goal rather than trying to score from Hussey's measured far post centre.

Mansfield's first serious assault on goal saw Sam Clucas cross just too far for Ollie Palmer before Meikle wasted another decent crossing opportunity.

But the visitors had a clear chance to go ahead just before half-time - the best sight of goal either team had during the half - when Lee Stevenson played a neat one-two with Chris Clements and raced to the edge of the box before seeing his attempt saved by Dean Lyness diving to his left.

As the second half got underway, Martin Riley gave away a free-kick 20 yards from goal but Damien McCrory's free-kick deflected straight to Marriott.

With 54 minutes on the watch, Lee Beevers was caught well out of position as Hussey cut in from the left and drilled for the near post, where Marriott stood firm.

The Stags hit back well when Clucas drifted a cross to the far post for Meikle, who got in a header that required Lyness to react and get his legs in the way.

A fortuitous ricochet suddenly gave Meikle a shooting chance on the hour, but, while his strike had power, it was woefully off target.

And as Clements whipped in a dangerous free-kick, Clucas got their first but could find neither the pace nor direction to trouble Lyness.

With Matt Rhead joining the action for Stevenson, a long throw into the box from Beevers caused Burton real problems and Lyness got down well to keep out Meikle's low strike.

At the other end, McGurk's precision was way behind his ambition as he drilled way over the top, but the Brewers striker was the toast of the home side moments later as he helped his side find a breakthrough.

He found space on the right byline and got in an inviting cross that substitute Billy Kee, only recently introduced, headed past Marriott, despite the Stags keeper getting a touch.

Burton looked to kill off the game but neither substitute Alex MacDonald nor Kee could land the killer blow as four minutes of stoppage time were added.

But the closest the Stags came was a weak header saved easily by Lyness, leaving that increasingly familiar sight of Mansfield players with hands on heads wondering just what had gone wrong.

Burton: Lyness, Edwards, Hussey, Sharps, Bell, Weir, McCrory, Knowles (Howe 71), McGurk, M. Palmer (Kee 71), Cansdell-Sherriff. Subs not used: Poole, Diamond, Holness, Dyer.

Mansfield: Marriott, Beevers, Dempster Riley, Sutton (Meikle 16), Clucas, Poku, Clements, Daniel, Stevenson (Rhead 65), Palmer. Subs not used: Tafazolli, Howell, Speight, Dyer, Hutchinson.

Referee: Rob Lewis (Shrewsbury).

Attendance: 2,759.


Billy Kee opens the door with late strike as Burton Albion defeat Mansfield Town
By Derby Telegraph

BILLY Kee climbed off the bench to give Burton Albion a 1-0 win over Mansfield Town at the Pirelli Stadium last night.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Billy-Kee-opens-door-late-strike-Burton-Albion/story-20223589-detail/story.html#ixzz2lq0EFezA

The Brewers striker grabbed his fifth of the season as Albion made it back-to-back home wins in League Two.

They also recorded a sixth clean sheet in eight matches but stayed in seventh spot as other teams around them picked up points.

It was hardly a classic as Mansfield clearly came with a game plan to get a point as they looked to arrest a run of four successive League defeats.

The first half was short on entertainment but the game livened up after the break as the Stags came forward more and allowed Albion space in which to play.

Although the Brewers enjoyed more possession and territory, they were indebted to keeper Dean Lyness after he pulled off several top drawer saves.

One from Lee Stevenson just before half-time was crucial with the game tied at 0-0.

Damien McCrory, who was excellent all night, also got away with what looked a blatant handball in the Albion box late on.

Albion, though, deserved the points and seem to be building a nice habit of winning close games 1-0 after their victory by the same margin over Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

There can be few complaints as their home form builds some momentum.

Rowett made one change to the side which beat Rovers, bringing Lee Bell in for the suspended Jimmy Phillips.

Matty Palmer moved to the right of midfield, with Chris Hussey going to the left.

Albion started well and could have opened the scoring after three minutes.

Hussey’s free kick from 35 yards out got through a crowded area and almost surprised Alan Marriott, who did well to dive to his right and touch the ball around a post.

Dominic Knowles had a chance seconds later as he turned on to Palmer’s low cross but the young striker scuffed his effort.

Adam McGurk’s snapshot from 25 yards went straight at the keeper before Knowles had a decent opening around the edge of the box but could only fire close to Marriott.

After 36 minutes, the Brewers had their best opening of a dour first half.

Hussey surged past Sam Clucas on the left and dinked a tasty cross to the back post for McGurk. Instead of heading at goal from close range, the striker unselfishly tried to find a team-mate and the chance was lost.

Mansfield almost took the lead against the run of play with half-time looming.

Ian Sharps was caught in possession by Stevenson around 30 yards from goal. The Mansfield midfielder played a quick one-two with Colin Daniel and found himself 16 yards out with just Lyness to beat. The Albion keeper, though, pulled off an excellent reaction save to beat out Stevenson’s shot.

Martin Riley, who had been physical all night, was penalised for hauling Knowles down after 51 minutes around 25 yards from goal, slightly to the right of centre. McCrory hit it and the ball deflected harmlessly through to Marriott.

Hussey had a shot to the near post blocked after 54 minutes as he surged onto a superb ball from McCrory.

Shane Cansdell-Sherriff then headed wide from a corner.

Mansfield were much more ambitious in the second half and pushed further upfield.

Lindon Meikle had a header saved by Lyness’ legs as he reached a cross from Clucas at the back post.

Meikle then almost broke the scoreboard as he fired wildly high and wide as he charged through onto a rebound off Bell and found himself with just Lyness to beat from a tight angle.

Clucas then headed a free kick down and straight at Lyness from 10 yards on 66 minutes as the Stags looked for a breakthrough.

Hussey found McGurk with a pinpoint cross on 68 minutes but he headed just wide under pressure from Dempster.

Rowett brought Rene Howe and Kee on for Knowles and Palmer in the 72nd minute - and the change eventually proved decisive.

A minute later, Meikle almost broke the deadlock with a stinging low shot that looked destined for the net until Lyness got down and made a cracking save.

In the 78th minute, Kee finally ended Mansfield’s resistance with a close-range header from McGurk’s dinked cross from the right. The Brewers had been patient and deserved their winner.

Alex MacDonald, on for an under-par Hussey, then almost sealed it after 84 minutes but his low finish was saved by Marriott.

Seconds later, McCrory got away with what looked a blatant handball in the area.

BURTON ALBION: Lyness, Edwards, McCrory, Weir, Sharps, Cansdell-Sherriff, Palmer (Kee, 72), Bell, McGurk, Knowles (Howe, 72), Hussey (MacDonald, 77). Other subs: Diamond, Poole, Holness, Dyer.

MANSFIELD TOWN: Marriott, Sutton (Meikle, 18), Beevers, Clements, Dempster, Riley, Clucas, Poku, Palmer, Stevenson (Rhead, 65), Daniel. Other subs: Tafazolli, Howell, Speight, Dyer, Hutchinson.

Referee: R Lewis.

Attendance: 2,754.



Latest | December 2013