{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2013

8th November 2013 17:44

Mansfield reserves 2-0 Doncaster reserves
Stevenson 41, Howell 52

The One Call Stadium, Field Mill
4 Nov 2013

Ian Deakin;
Liam Marsden, Ben Birch, James Jennings (C), Paul Black;
Lindon Meikle, Godfrey Poku, Keiran Murtagh, Anthony Howell;
Lee Stevenson, Ollie Palmer.
Subs not used: Jordan Fell (youth keeper), Kevin Hemagou, Conor Green, Jack Thomas, Ross Lamb.

Jennings at centre half. Howell on the left of midfield.

41 on the clock as Black cuts back across box, Stevenson on hand to tuck home 1-0 finally a goal!!

52 on the clock as Stags double the lead, Howell on the spin from 10 yards following Marsdens sweeping cross 2-0


free short segment of video interview with Paul Cox (including footage of goals versus Doncaster reserves)


Slick reserves sink Doncaster
mansfieldtown.net 4th November 2013
by Andrew Webb

Goals from Lee Stevenson and Anthony Howell eased our second-string to a comfortable 2-0 win over Doncaster Rovers at One Call Stadium.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/slick-reserves-sink-doncaster-1155376.aspx#UsjwQLDHTrmzhZSv.99

Stevenson fired us ahead with a well-placed finish prior to half-time, before Howell doubled the lead shortly after the re-start.

The victory strengthens our position on top spot in the Central League (East Division), with just three more matches of the league season to go.

Despite a dominant showing by the Stags, it was Rovers who created the first meaningful chance after just five minutes.

Ben Birch only partially cleared Harry Middleton’s near-post corner, before Lewis Ferguson collected play on the edge of the area and rifled a drive against the upright.

Our side responded with a chance of their own just three minutes later, but Godfrey Poku was unable to test Jon Maxted with a speculative effort from distance.

Maxted also did enough to distract Lindon Meikle, who latched onto Stevenson’s sublime low ball, but blazed over in a one-on-one with the Rovers stopper on the quarter-hour mark.

The Stags slowly started to enjoy a spell of sustained pressure as Rovers were made to defend several set-pieces, and an opener almost arrived on 21 minutes.

Skipper James Jennings flashed a low free-kick into a crowded six-yard box, which ricocheted off Ollie Palmer and drifted narrowly wide of Maxted’s left-hand post.

Moments later, Paul Black also caused havoc with a teasing left-sided delivery that narrowly evaded Palmer, and forced the visitors into more last-ditch defending.

Rovers only caught rare glimpses of the Stags’ goal and after Middleton’s teasing near-post in-swinger was cleared by Keiran Murtagh, Ferguson came no closer with a long-range shot.

Murtagh and Howell both spurned further chances as our team played some excellent football, but were unable to find a way past Donny’s resolute back-line.

However, that changed just five minutes prior to the interval.

Black again tormented his marker on the left-wing and provided a pin-point low cross into the area towards Stevenson, who duly fired beyond a full-stretch Maxted.

The Stags could have doubled their lead within seconds of Donny re-starting play, as Murtagh quickly picked up play and saw his 30-yard strike parried by Maxted.

Palmer was the quickest to react, but somehow the frontman scooped his effort over from the edge of the six-yard box, much to Rovers’ relief.

Meikle then had an effort well-held by Maxted in first half stoppage-time, as the Stags went in at the break with a thoroughly deserved 1-0 lead.

Our team continued to look threatening after the re-start and should have been awarded a spot-kick when Evan Finnegan used his arm to block a close-range effort by Meikle.

Nevertheless, the Stags deservedly doubled their advantage on 52 minutes.

Liam Marsden was the provider as his chipped near-post delivery was flicked on by Palmer for Howell, who spun away from his marker inside the six-yard box and slotted home.

Donny, whose side contained experienced players such as James Harper, Andy Griffin and former Real Madrid star Marc De Val Fernandez, then had a mini-spell of pressure around the hour-mark.

Middleton came close to reducing arrears with a low 20-yard drive that deflected off Birch, and went fractionally wide of Deakin’s right-hand post.

From the resulting corner, Middleton picked out an unmarked Griffin at the far-post, but the veteran full-back blazed his effort into the side-netting.

The Stags then spurned several chances to enhance their winning margin in the last half-hour of the match.

Maxted reacted quickly to palm away Palmer’s header, following a far-post corner by Jennings on 62 minutes, before Howell blazed over on the follow-up.

Meikle was also twice denied by the Rovers custodian, whilst his attempted lob-shot after Marsden’s long downfield ball, fell wide of the target.

Donny almost grabbed a consolation in the closing stages when Chris Whincop flashed a free-kick just wide of the target, from the edge of the area.

However, our second-string were ultimately worthy winners, and stay top of the Central League (East Division) table, with just three matches remaining.

Team: Deakin, Marsden, Birch, Jennings (c), Black, Meikle, Poku, Murtagh, Howell, Stevenson, Palmer. Subs: Fell, Hemagou, J.Thomas, Green, Lamb.


Stags reserves beat Doncaster to stay on title course

Mansfield Town reserves stay top of the Central League (East Division) table with just three matches remaining after a superb 2-0 home win over a strong Doncaster Rovers side last night.


The impressive Lee Stevenson put Mansfield ahead with a well-placed finish from a low Paul Black cross five minutes before the break, and Anthony Howell, another of the night’s better performers playing on the right of midfield, doubled the lead on 52 minutes after Ollie Palmer, playing a lone role up front, helped on Liam Marsden’s ball to Howell, six yards from goal.

Rovers, whose side contained experienced players such as James Harper, Andy Griffin and former Real Madrid star Marc De Val Fernandez, came closest early in the game when, at 0-0, Lewis Ferguson struck a post.

Godfrey Poku again turned in an enthusiastic display as he battles for a chance in the first team while Lindon Meikle looked back to his best on the left.

The display cheered manager Paul Cox after Friday’s night’s 3-0 first team thumping at Southend, and he said: “It was a very strong Doncaster reserves side and I was very pleased with the performance and the result.

“I had boys out there really champing at the bit. I won’t make panic decisions but, ultimately, I need to respond to Friday.

“There was an unbelievable desire to get in the side and that has brought a smile back to my face. I know I have some hungry boys here.”

STAGS: Deakin, Marsden, Birch, Jennings, Black, Meikle, Poku, Murtagh, Howell, Stevenson, Palmer. Subs: Fell, Hemagou, J. Thomas, Green, Lamb.



Latest | November 2013