{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2013

20th February 2013 20:59

Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town 3 - 1 Cambridge United
Stevenson 10, Jones 39, Daniel 71. Hughes 31.
Attendance: 2508 (208 from Cambridge)

Date: 16 February 2013

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town bounced back from the disappointing defeat at Newport on Tuesday with a professional performance to beat Cambridge United, and clock up the third home win on consecutive Saturdays, with sixteen goals in the process. The Stags went in front on 10 minutes with another goal from Lee Stevenson, following a scramble in the box, but Cambridge were deservedly level with a bullet header from a corner, after Alan Marriott had previously pulled off two stunning saves. Cambridge could easily have been in front as the Stags defence looked lethargic, but Luke Jones restored the lead on 39 minutes firing home from close range after his header had been blocked on the line. The header may have actually crossed the line (it is unclear from the match DVD) but Jones removed any debate by firing in the rebound. After that, Cambridge failed to have another attempt at goal in the remaining 51 minutes which was truly extraordinary after the way they had started the game, and credit to Mansfield for the professional way they closed Cambridge down. Colin Daniel sealed the game on 71 minutes finishing off a fine move that involved James Jennings. A deserved win for the Stags who had several very good performances, including Marriott with his two outstanding and crucial saves in the first half, Briscoe who was unplayable at times as he ran at the Cambridge defence, Howell who was excellent in the middle of the park, and Murray who made so many telling tackles especially in the second half.

Stagsnet report and ratings in the Match Centre


Saturday, 16th February 2013: Mansfield Town 3 Cambridge United 1
CHAD report by John Lomas

MANSFIELD Town bounced back from their midweek misery to make it three home wins on the bounce today as they saw off Cambridge United with goals from Lee Stevenson, Luke Jones and Junior Daniel.


Stags had destroyed Dartford 5-0 and blasted Barrow 8-1 in the last two home outings.

But they found United a tougher nut to crack for a while on a cloying surface, taking half-an-hour to get a grip on proceedings before then finding top gear and ending the afternoon wondering how they hadn't scored more goals.

After failing to take their chance to jump into the play-off places when they lost 2-0 at Newport in midweek, this crucial result kept Mansfield in the hunt, three points off fifth spot with two games in hand.

And it set them up nicely for a tough spell ahead of three away games on the trot in eight days, starting at Hyde on Tuesday.

There were some excellent performances today with Anthony Howell the pick of the bunch with his no-nonsense display in the muddy central midfield. But Louis Briscoe pulled off one of his most powerful performances of the season, Luke Jones was inspirational at both ends, and Alan Marriott pulled off some crucial saves.

In an entertaining end-to-end first half-hour, Stevenson's sixth goal in as many games seemed to set up the Stags for another goal rush on 10 minutes.

However, United were level through Liam Hughes on 31 minutes only to see Jones edge Stags back in front eight minutes later and unlucky not to extend that lead in a powerful end to the half.

Mansfield dominated the second half and Junior Daniel hit the post before his pinpoint first time finish on 71 minutes finally made the points safe.

Cox gave his players the chance to put things right by naming an unchanged side after threatening to make changes following Tuesday night's defeat at Newport.

The visitors might have snatched a third minute lead on swift counter-attack as Reed picked up the ball inside his own half and ran strongly down the centre.

Jones' tried to barge him off the ball but failed and the referee waved play-on as Reed reached the edge of the box where he rifled a low shot just wide.

Stags responded on six minutes when Green pulled a low ball back from the right to Howell, 18 yards, out, who forced Hedge to turn over a ferocious finish.

Two minutes later Shaw lifted in a United corner from the right and Hughes met it with a firm header from six yards that brought a great reaction save out of Marriott.

However, Mansfield were ahead on 10 minutes. Jennings put a ball into the danger zone from the left and there were several half-attempts to net and clear from both sets of players, Jones and Daniel having half-chances, before Stevenson did what he does best and poached an unstoppable finish from seven yards – his sixth in six games.

Daniel was too high from distance soon after.

Cambridge threatened again on 13 minutes as Reed found Gash wide on the right in space and he zipped in a powerful low cross which raced past Marriott leaving Roberts an open goal at the far post if he could turn it on target, but the pace on the ball proved too much as his finish passed wide.

Home fans were unhappy when Green appeared to be elbowed in the back of the head and nothing was given, yet seconds later Beevers was cautioned for his mistimed sliding challenge on Gash.

Home players were again asking questions of the referee after a poor shot from Stevenson looked to deflect wide for a corner but only a goalkick was given.

Dempster had a shot blocked and, from the clearance, Briscoe lifted a half-volley just over the angle as Mansfield continued to press.

Green and Stevenson then both had efforts blocked after Briscoe had done well to get to the by-line and pull a low ball back.

However, on the half-hour mark Marriott was back in action, superbly turning over a blast from Shaw after he ran onto a square pass by Gash. And, from the resulting corner United were level.

Jarvis put in the corner from the right and Hughes rose unchallenged to power home a header from eight yards high into the net.

Jennings wasn't too far wide with a snapshot from 30 yards.

And Mansfield were back in front on 39 minutes.

Jones headed Jennings' right wing corner at goal and, amid a scramble, some players were claiming the ball had already crossed the line before Jones made sure as he drilled the loose ball home from three yards amid a crowd of players.

Briscoe was having an excellent game and, after swapping passes with Stevenson he forced Hedge to beat his finish away at the near post.

Jennings put the corner in and, as another scramble ensued, Jones whipped a finish just wide of the far post.

Another interception and a great turn from Briscoe set him off on another run which saw him free Green. He tried to lift an early finish over the keeper but was just too high.

From another corner, the ball fell to Briscoe who saw his firm finish blocked almost on the line and no one able to capitalise as yet another scramble began.

With the last kick of the half Briscoe flashed a first time shot wide of the far post and off a defender as the whistle brought some respite for a Cambridge side under heavy pressure.

Daniel almost made it 3-1 within six minutes of the restart as he drilled a low shot under the dive of Hedge at the near post on the left only to see it come back off the foot of the post and bounce away from goal.

A late tackle on Roberts from Briscoe saw him unable to argue with a 52nd minute caution.

United won two corners, Berry seeing a tame low shot deflect wide from the first of them.

Stevenson was added to the book on 57 minutes at which point Cambridge sent on Brighton for Shaw.

Cambridge had two attempts to clear a long Beevers throw before Daniel lashed a wild volley well over for the home side.

Hedge comfortably caught Jennings' ninth corner of the afternoon.

There was a hold-up after Hughes took a blow to the head, the visitors then down to 10 men for a short time during which Stags capitalised with a third goal.

A fine flowing move saw Stevenson find Jennings outside him on the left and his low pulled-back pass was met first time by Daniel with a pinpoint finish inside the far post from 12 yards.

Wassmer was booked for bringing down Daniel on 73 minutes, and Jennings wasn't far over with the free kick, curling over the wall and just over the bar.

A great break from the home side then saw green and Briscoe on the attack, Briscoe eventually putting in a tempting ball across the face of goal which Green was just unable to get a leg to with the open goal gaping.

Mansfield kept the pressure firmly on with three more corner kicks before Meikle was given a late run-out for the excellent Briscoe with just two minutes left.

Stags were rightly given an ovation as they left the field after another fine home display.

STAGS: Marriott; Beevers, Dempster, Jones, Jennings; Murray, Stevenson, Howell; Briscoe (Meikle 88), Green, Daniel. Subs not used: Sutton, Wright, Clements, Rhead.

CAMBRIDGE: Hedge; Roberts, Coulson, Wassmer, McAuley; Berry, Jarvis (Brighton 57), Shaw, Hughes (Anderson 71); Reed (Taylor 89), Gash. Subs not used: Ross, Hudson.

REFEREE: Seb Stocksbridge of County Durham.

ATTENDANCE: 2,508 (208 away).



Howell puts the champagne on ice – until the job is done
Nottingham Post report by Stevie Roden

CLUTCHING his man-of-the-match champagne, Anthony Howell couldn't rid himself of his trademark smile.

Would he be popping it open following the 3-1 win against Cambridge?

No. Not a chance. Howell is in a mood to celebrate, but not until the job is done at the end of the season – promotion achieved.

In fact, as he revealed, his other award from a couple of weeks ago is still sat on the mantelpiece back at home. The midfielder's plan, he revealed, is to bring them in at the end of the season to share with his team-mates when they party after reaching the Football League.

And in those words, it epitomised Howell's role at Mansfield Town. Even when it comes to his hard-earned bubbly, he is still thinking of the team, to share his success.

For Howell, is not about any razzmatazz, it is simply about winning. And his role might be unglamorous, but he is proving how vital an ingredient he is in the middle of the park.

And the fact it is being recognised by the supporters, who voted for him as the man-of-the-match and gave him a rapturous round of applause, was fitting.

When it was announced, he clapped them back before getting straight into another robust tackle, to break up play, ready for the Stags to drive forward on another attack.

Lately, he has even been rewarded with a couple of goals but his energy, tackling and simple use of the ball were all on show to help Mansfield bounce back from a midweek defeat at Newport to record a fifth victory in six games.

And performances and players like Howell are the backbone to such wins – and could be the difference between winning promotion and not, as Stags sit three points off fifth with games in hand but, also, just eight points off leaders Grimsby with a game in hand on the Mariners.

The first chance fell to Howell, who thundered a rising shot that was acrobatically turned over by Jonathan Hedge.

Then Stags Alan Marriott produced a stunning save two minutes later as Liam Hughes rose to plant Tom Shaw's corner just under the bar – but the keeper rose and somehow clawed it over the top with a superb one-handed save.

However, it was another man of the moment, Lee Stevenson, who fired in his sixth goal in as many games to put a completely unchanged Mansfield ahead after just ten minutes.

James Jennings' ball in caused problems and Luke Jones and Colin Daniel both tried to force it home but both times it was blocked before Stevenson pounced to turn it in from six yards out.

Louis Briscoe, who looked dangerous all afternoon, fired just over from 20 yards after John Dempster had seen his original shot blocked before Cambridge's Michael Gash found space down the left, took his time and picked a great pass to find Shaw, who was darting in between two defenders. But Marriott came to the rescue again to turn his excellent effort over the bar.

However, from the corner, Cambridge were level as Hughes rose to meet the flag kick from the right and planted his header, from eight yards out, firmly in the back of the net.

There was a nervy spell for the home crowd afterwards but six minutes before the break, Stags got the lead again as Jones rose at the back post to meet Jennings' corner from the right and the hosts claimed the downward header had crossed the line. But, to make sure, the defender drilled the ball into the roof of the net for good measure.

Briscoe went close twice in the closing minutes as he continued to torment left-back Kevin Roberts and six minutes into the second half, Daniel got the better of Charlie Wassmer down the left of the box and his shot beat Hedge, only to strike the foot of the post and fly away across the face of goal.

However, on 71 minutes, the points were sealed as Stevenson slipped Jennings in down the left of the box and he cut the ball back from the byline for Daniel 12 yards out to crash the ball first time into the far corner.

Briscoe then brushed off his man, into the box, squared for Matt Green to put into the open net but the winger's ball had too much power and ran away from Green, who was diving in.

Green's work-rate deserved a goal, while Briscoe's performance also merited him getting on the scoresheet.

But the fact Howell's industrious performance, another to add to his recent solid displays, stood out so much to the crowd told you everything about his importance to the team's form at present.

Everybody has a role to play if Mansfield are to be a success. And with 17 matches left in less than nine weeks, such gritty, determined characters as 26-year-old Howell will be crucial.

The former Alfreton man has come into his own, grown into the role throughout the season and with confidence oozing out of him, it is no wonder he is proving such an integral figure.

Understated? Yes. Underrated? Not anymore.

You get the impression plenty more bottles of champagne will be stored in his home before the end of the campaign.

And the hope is there will be plenty to celebrate for Mansfield in a few months' time

Read more: http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/story-18182023-detail/story.html#ixzz2LFA6VPtC
Follow us: @thisisnottm on Twitter | ThisIsNottingham on Facebook



Latest | February 2013