{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2012

28th November 2012 22:22

FA Trophy Round 1
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Matlock Town
Murray 25. McMahon 38
Attendance: 1615 (250 from Matlock)

Date: 24 November 2012

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town and Matlock Town will have to replay in their FA Trophy Round 1 tie, after a terrible display from the Stags against superb Matlock, who should have won through but for a magnificent penalty save from Shane Redmond and an even better follow up save. Redmond saved a penalty from McMahon on 7 minutes, and somehow tipped over the follow up from Ashmore. Adam Murray put Mansfield ahead with his first goal since the season before last, following up after Briscoe's shot had been parried by the keeper. McMahon made amends for his penalty miss by finishing off a fabulous Matlock move to equalise on 38 minutes. Either side could have won it in the second half as Rhead missed a sitter and Matlock sub Grayson had an injury time effort cleared away with Redmond out of his goal. Matlock regularly worried the Mansfield defence and the Stags central defensive pairing of Jones and Geohaghon did not look to be an ideal one due to a lack of pace. Playing Sutton in the centre, as at Macclesfield, gave the central defence more pace. The replay is due to be played on Tuesday at Causeway Lane though the pitch is partially under water as at Sunday morning and the game must already been in serious doubt.

Mansfield made just one change from the side that played so well at Macclesfield, as Geohaghon returned from suspension, in place of the rested Beevers. Sutton moved from centre half to left back.

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre

Man of the match: Shane Redmond


Mansfield Town 1-1 Matlock Town, FA Trophy
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

A BELOW-PAR Mansfield Town were left facing another tricky replay away to cup minnows this Tuesday after NPL neighbours Matlock Town held them to a 1-1 draw in their FA Trophy first round tie at a rain-swept One Call Stadium this afternoon.


Stags fans expected their side to see off the Gladiators with something to spare, but the home side were well aware how tough the game may be after being taken to an FA Cup replay by Slough Town two weeks ago.

And so it proved again as a Stags side, looking tired after so many games in recent weeks, failed to find the killer blow.

Indeed, they had keeper Shane Redmond to thank for a brilliant double save on seven minutes, the first from the penalty spot, the second the follow-up, and other good stops later to prevent another shock.

Matlock recorded a famous 5-2 FA Cup win at Field Mill back in 1976 and will enjoy this result almost as much tonight, celebrating at the end with their 250 following from Derbyshire.

It was at least a seventh game unbeaten for Mansfield.

Adam Murray's first goal for 19 months put Stags ahead on 25 minutes only to see Lewis McMahon level matters 13 minutes later.

Exodus Geohaghon returned to the Mansfield side.

The giant defender was back from a one-game ban and was back into the centre of defence with Lee Beevers left out and Ritchie Sutton moving across to fill the left back slot.

Murray almost gave Stags a third minute lead after Green's ball in from the left was laid back towards the skipper by Briscoe for a low shot that deflected narrowly wide for a corner.

Matlock's first chance saw McDonald's first touch in the box roll towards Redmond. It was always the keeper's ball, but McDonald slid in late and clattered into the fallen keeper leaving him needing treatment, but escaping a caution.

Green took a tumble in the box on six minutes but the referee decided no penalty.

However, the Gladiators broke upfield to win a spot kick of their own in the seventh minute which brought the very best out of keeper Redmond.

Thompson brought down Roe to gift the visitors a golden chance to draw first blood in the tie.

But Redmond flung himself to his right to beat away McMahon's spot kick and quickly recovered to throw himself to his right to block Ashmore's goalbound follow-up.

McDonald then got the better of Jones down the right after a tussle and got away a low shot from a narrow angle which Redmond was comfortably down to block.

Somehow, a Sutton clearance found its way into the Bishop Stand roof and, between the metal pipework of the TV gantry, dropped through the hole in the stand which guaranteed the Stags a decent wedge of sponsorship money.

Green cut in from the left in the next home raid to whistle a low shot inches wide of the near post.

Matlock were far from overawed with the tie and Harcourt put in an inviting low ball towards McMahon in the box only to see Thompson slide in with a superb challenge to put it behind for a corner.

But it was the Stags who broke the deadlock on 25 minutes.

Briscoe fired in a shot from 20 yards which Kennedy could only parry and Murray was on hand to tuck the loose ball away into the net.

It was his first goal for the club since bagging a brace against Gateshead in April 2011.

Briscoe made Kennedy get down at his near post to block a vicious low drive from a tight angle.

However, the minnows were far from finished and roared back into the tie with a 38th minute equaliser.

A low ball towards the edge of the box saw a superb backheel from McDonald fool everyone as he set up McMahon for a sweet sidefooted finish, perfectly placed out of the reach of Redmond.

Meikle bent a dangerous ball across the face of goal soon after with no one there to put it away as the half finished all square.

Grayson scampered past Geohaghon in the first attack of the second half in a fine run down the middle, shooting straight at Redmond from 20 yards.

Green then forced a good stop from Kennedy after Briscoe had worked the ball to him.

Clements then put in a teasing cross from the right which Hutchinson met with a backheader that passed just inches wide of the back post.

Meikle had had a quiet afternoon and was replaced by Wright on 62 minutes.

As a loose Briscoe cross was easily gathered by Kennedy the first boos began to be heard as the home fans' frustration grew.

The visitors caused more worry when Davis drilled the ball across the face of goal from the left by-line, Sutton there to turn it behind.

Speight replaced Green up front for the home side on 67 minutes as Paul Cox tried to inject new life into his attack.

Matlock almost stung Mansfield on a counter-attack as Grayson released McMahon into space on the left and he tried to pick out McDonald with his low cross only to see Redmond stretch out and make a vital interception.

McDonald wasn't far off with a shot over the far angle on 78 minutes after the ball broke to him in space on the left of the box.

It was the part-time visitors who were looking the sharper and livelier in the closing stages as Stags' recent punishing run of games began to take its toll on the legs.

Briscoe had a shot deflect wide for a corner from which Rhead headed wide with six minutes to play.

Rhead also stabbed a loose ball wide three minutes later in the six yard box from Murray's ball in as the reality of a replay loomed ever larger.

In stoppage time a Matlock break saw Redmond unable to clear after leaving his box and Grayson's eventual shy at the empty net was blocked by the well-placed Jones to prevent a late shock twist to the tale.

STAGS: Redmond; Thompson, Geohaghon, Jones, Sutton; Briscoe, Murray, Clements, Meikle (Wright 62); Hutchinson (Rhead 74), Green (Speight 67). Subs not used: Howell, Daniel.

MATLOCK: Kennedy, Harcourt, Roe, Gaughan (Grayson 21), Yates, Lukic, Cotton (Leesley 90+4), Ashmore, McDonald, McMahon, Davis. Subs not used: Dennis, Travis, Leese.

REFEREE: Chris Kavanagh of Ashton-under-Lyme.

ATTENDANCE: 1,615 (250 away).


Poor Mansfield scrape a replay against Matlock in FA Trophy
Nottingham Post report by Stevie Roden

FOR Matlock supporters, it goes down as one of their finest days in history. For those of Mansfield persuasion, it is one to forget.

The non-league Gladiators and their merry trio of Fenoughty brothers came to the then named Field Mill on a winter's night in 1976 and caused a massive upset.

In the same season Stags sealed the old Division Three title – now League One – they lost in the FA Cup second round as Matlock sealed a memorable 5-2 win.

Today, the Stags are non-league themselves, but Matlock are still two tiers below and came as a bunch of part-timers looking to cause an upset on Saturday.

And, while there was no shock knockout like 1976, they forced a replay as Mansfield's chances of progress drowned in the driving afternoon rain.

Matlock no longer have Tom, Mick and Nick Fenoughty in their armoury, the former who managed on that famous day in their history and the latter who bagged two in the victory, but they emerged with new heroes as they headed back to Matlock in anticipation of tomorrow night's replay.

If anything, the Gladiators will be wondering how they did not come away with a place in the second round of the FA Trophy after a Stags performance boss Paul Cox could only label as "dire".

Cox made just one change, Exodus Geohaghon returning from a one-match ban to the centre of defence with Ritchie Sutton moving to left-back as Lee Beevers dropped out, not risked as he was one caution away from suspension.

Continuity had been the key to the six-game unbeaten run before this game and Cox was keen to continue in the same vein against Evo-Stik Premier opposition.

But, if anything, a third game in seven days on a heavy pitch in the pouring rain seemed to be too much for some, as players in amber and blue looked to be treading water by the final whistle.

Stags could have been behind on seven minutes. John Thompson got caught out in the box, allowing Phil Roe to get the better of him and the Stags full-back tugged Roe back and a penalty was awarded, Thompson booked.

But Shane Redmond produced heroics to keep his side in the game as he dived low to his right to keep out Lewis McMahon's spot kick and then produced a stunning second save, getting up and diving to his left to turn James Ashmore's follow up shot over the bar.

The warning was not heeded as former Carlton striker Massiah McDonald shook off Luke Jones, but his drilled angled effort was saved by Redmond.

Mansfield's Matt Green pulled a shot wide before the hosts had the lead as Adam Murray pounced midway in the Matlock half, spread it out wide to Louis Briscoe who fired in a low effort that Jon Kennedy could not hold and Murray, who had gambled on his run into the box, coolly lifted the rebound over the goalkeeper for his first goal since April 2011.

Briscoe then forced a save from Kennedy before, seven minutes from the break, Matlock equalised.

A swift passing movement culminated with McDonald being fed in the semi-circle on the edge of the box and he back-heeled into the path of the onrushing McMahon and the former Notts County midfielder made up for his spot kick miss by sweeping the ball into the bottom corner.

From there, it was all downhill for Mansfield who were awful in the second half. Bradley Grayson skipped beyond Geohaghon, but fired straight at Redmond.

After Hutchinson flashed a header wide, Grayson slipped McMahon in down the left and he fired a shot towards the back post that Redmond got down well to save, with Ashmore darting in at the back post. Then after McDonald cut in from left byline onto his right foot, he fired just over the far top corner.

Briscoe fired an effort from the edge of box that took a wicked deflection for a corner and from it Matt Rhead's downward header went wide of the far stick. Two minutes from time, Rhead then struck wide from close range.

But in injury time, Grayson shot from distance and Jones cleared off the line for Stags.

This was no hard luck story for Stags, as it was against Slough in the FA Cup when forced to a replay.

If anything, it was such a bad performance that they should be thankful of the short trip to Causeway Lane tomorrow to put it right and prevent Matlock from adding another memorable day in their history

Match facts: Mansfield v Matlock

Mansfield: Redmond, Thompson, Sutton, Geohaghon, Jones, Briscoe, Clements, Murray, Meikle (Wright, 62), Hutchinson (Rhead, 74), Green (Speight, 67). Subs: Howell, Daniel

Matlock: Kennedy, Harcourt, Roe, Gaughan (Grayson, 21), Yates, Lukic, Cotton (Leesley, 90+4), Ashmore, McDonald, McMahon, Davis. Subs: Dennis, Travis, Leese.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh (Ashton-under-Lyne)

Attendance: 1,615 (250 visitors)

Goals: Mansfield – 1. Murray, 25 mins. Matlock – 1. McMahon, 38 mins


Mansfield Matlock

Shots on 4 7

Shots off 7 1

Fouls 5 9

Offsides 1 2

Corners 4 5

Bookings: Mansfield – 1. Thompson, 7 mins, foul. Matlock – None.

MOM: Shane Redmond. The Stags goalkeeper saved the penalty early on and the follow-up shot, showing superb reflexes. He has also made other saves on a day when it was hard to find many positives


excellent report from http://the66pow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/mansfield-town-1-v-matlock-town-1-fa.html

Saturday, 24 November 2012
Mansfield Town 1 v Matlock Town 1 - FA Trophy First Round

Saturday 24th November 2012, at Field Mill (AKA One Call Stadium)
FA Trophy First Round
Adam Murray 25
Lewis McMahon 39
Admission £10, Programme £2
West Stand only open for Stags fans, North Stand for Matlock
Attendance 1615 (250 away fans)

Mansfield Town:
Shane Redmond; John Thompson, Exodus Geohaghon, Luke Jones, Richie Sutton, Louis Briscoe, Adam Murray, Chris Clements, Lindon Meikle (Nick Wright 62), Ben Hutchinson (Matt Rhead 74), Matt Green (Jake Speight 67)
Unused Subs: Anthony Howell, Colin Daniel.
Matlock Town:
Jon Kennedy, Micky Harcourt, Phil Roe, Laurence Gaughan (Brad Grayson 21), Adam Yates, James Lukic, Glyn Cotton (Joe Leesley 90+), James Ashmore, Massiah McDonald, Lewis McMahon, Gareth Davis.
Unused Subs: Will Dennis, James Travis, Matt Leese.

Shane Redmond - Man of the match

From the outset, I want to make it abundantly clear, that when I left Field Mill this afternoon, I felt extremely disappointed with the complete lack of interest and application that some of the Mansfield Town squad had shown today. This embarrassing 'no show' from Paul Cox's team, was completely unacceptable.

excellent report from http://the66pow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/mansfield-town-1-v-matlock-town-1-fa.html

And, I think the Stags only saving grace as they go into Tuesday night's replay at Causeway Lane, is that they surely can't be as inept as they were this afternoon again.
Can they?
Hmm, that is a rhetorical question, of course.
In his programme notes, the Stags manager said "We want to be successful in all competitions this year".
I would suggest, that given the lack of focus and application shown by some of his players today, that they might not exactly share his views.

Obviously, on the back of their recent good run of league results, aiming for a play off place must be the Stags priority.
And there is the small matter of the second round FA Cup tie with Lincoln City coming up next weekend.
But, over the course of the season, you've got to take each game as it comes and treat all opponents with the measure of respect they deserve, or you're going to end up getting a reality slap or two along the way.
There is no doubt in my mind, that some of the Stags team have got illusions (delusions?) of grandeur and they appear to believe they're better than they actually are.
Did they honestly think that all they had to do today was turn up and the game against their Evo-Stik League visitors was as good as won?

Because, credit where it's due here, although far too many Mansfield players displayed traits that suggested that they were merely (and indifferently) going through the motions today; Matlock were well organised, worked hard as a unit and actually squeezed their Blue Square Bet Premier hosts out of the game and stopped them from playing for long spells. Whilst still managing to get forward regularly and creating plenty of chances, that caused the home team's defence no end of problems.
The Stags goalkeeper Shane Redmond wasn't voted man of the match for nothing today.
He kept his side in the game.
Though whether some of his team mates will thank him for pulling out the stops to ensure they get another bite of the cherry, over them there Derbyshire hills on Tuesday night, might be open to question.

Seven minutes into the game, Matlock well and truly gave due warning of their intention to take the game to the Stags, when Phil Roe went to ground under a John Thompson challenge in the Mansfield penalty area and the referee had no option but to point to the spot.
Lewis McMahon struck the ball well, but Shane Redmond pulled off a great save from the penalty and then recovered quickly enough to turn away James Ashmore's effort from the rebound.
It was a brilliant double save from Redmond, who is obviously growing in stature and confidence, now that he's getting a decent run of games.
The opening goal on 25 minutes, brought a collective sigh of relief, as much as a cheer, from the Stags faithful who'd braved the foul weather this afternoon to watch this FA Trophy tie, when Jon Kennedy in the visitors goal parried Louis Briscoe's 20 yard shot away and Adam Murray was on hand to prod the ball home from close range.

But on 39 minutes, Massiah McDonald neatly wrong footed the Stags defence, with a deft back heel into the path of Lewis McMahon, who planted the ball into the corner of Redmond's goal.
Talk around me turned to clichéd discussions about giant killing and plucky minnows.
Mansfield Town are not, never have been and never will be giants, by any stretch of the imagination.
Except, of course, for Exodus Geohaghon, who is approximately 8 feet tall, shoots fire out of his nostrils and has a death ray glare.
Well, that's a slight embellishment or two on my part, but he is good at long throw ins.
Which on it's own, probably wouldn't help him to get past the auditions to join the X-Men, but it keeps him in gainful full time employment as a top flight non league footballer.
That's not meant as a criticism of 'Big Ex' by the way.
Faint heart and tippy tappy football never won a fair maiden or promotion out of the Blue Square Bet Premier ... so there's some food for thought for all you purists who frequent the 'One Call Stadium'.
And as for Matlock's minnows tag.
Hmm, there is, in actual fact, just one division separating the respective leagues that these two teams play in and they're both where they are in the grand scheme of things on merit.

HT - Stags 1 v Gladiators 1

Brad Grayson almost put Matlock in front early in the second half, but Shane Redmond pulled off another fine save after the former Frickley Athletic striker had surged past Exodus Geohaghon and left him for dead.
Jon Kennedy then denied Matt Green at the other end.
On the subject of Matt Green, last week he came on as a second half substitute to great effect, today, it would be fair to say that Matlock had obviously done their homework on him and he wasn't so effective.
Tin hat on time, because I know this will go against the grain with quite a few loyal Stags fans, but in my humble opinion, they haven't seen the best of Green for a while now, but I suspect he will up the ante again in due course, possibly to coincide with when it's time to renew his contract again.
But hey!
What do I know, eh!?
Either way, with a little over 20 minutes remaining, Paul Cox replaced Matt Green and sent Jake Speight on in his place.
Matlock attacked again when Brad Grayson and Lewis McMahon combined out on the left flank, but Shane Redmond intercepted the ball before it reached the lively Massiah McDonald.
Incidentally, McDonald is currently on loan from Worksop Town and, by all accounts, is impressing the Gladiators fans no end.

McDonald found himself some space on the left hand side of the penalty area, but fired over from ten yards out, as the visitors looked to finish the game off at the first attempt.
Matlock were enjoying a really good spell now and, not to put too fine a point on it, the Stags weren't in it at all for a while.
Paul Cox later called his team's performance 'dire' and said; "The lads know they've let themselves and the supporters down today".
Damn right they did!
The Stags have been playing a lot of games of late, but they've got a big enough squad to work around that, so the tired legs and punishing schedule theories I've heard bandied about, are falling on deaf ears with me.
Today, a part time, Evo-Stik Northern Premier League side, looked fitter and sharper than a full time Blue Square Bet Premier one.
Go figure!

In the last five minutes, Mansfield suddenly woke up to the fact that they were meant to be favourites to win this game and Matt Rhead, twice, almost snatched a late victory that would've been totally against the run of play. But he put the ball wide from a free header and then he flicked an even better chance wide from Adam Murray's cross, when just belting the ball hard and on target would've been the better option, so late in the game.
Deep into injury time, Brad Grayson nearly won it for Matlock, but Luke Jones made a last ditch clearance.
That was bloody close :-O
FT - MTFC 1 v MTFC 1
Back in 1976, when I still foolishly thought, in my youthful manifestation, that lower league and non-league football (apart from the mighty Retford Town) was beneath me, a friend's dad took us along to an FA Cup replay between Mansfield and Matlock, it was my first ever visit to Field Mill.
The visitors won that game 5-2, but the Stags went on to win promotion to the old second division (now called the Championship) a few months later.
It was the one and only season that they ever played at such a high level.
Could that be an omen, just in case they come unstuck in the replay at Causeway Lane on Tuesday night maybe, or just me clutching at straws again?
It's OK, save your breath, I already know the answer


Match report: Mansfield Town 1 Matlock Town 1

(by Ian Richardson - the only Matlock press reporter at the game)

MATLOCK thoroughly deserved this hugely impressive result against their Conference Premier neighbours and were probably unfortunate not to come away with a shock win.

Memories of 1976 and a famous FA Cup 2nd Round giantkilling came flooding back as the present day Stags and Gladiators prepared to do battle on a filthy wet day.

And Mark Atkins' men could claim a moral victory on the day at times outplaying and certainly looking the fitter of the two teams despite the seventh placed Conference side being full time.

Adam Murray gave he hosts a 24th minute lead but Matlock came roaring back to level through Lewis McMahon seven minutes before half time.

Mansfield had goalkeeper Shane Redmond to thank for not being on the end of another upset, his repetoire including not only a fantastic penalty save from McMahon, but an even better stop to keep out the follow up from James Ashmore.

The Stags all too often gave the ball away with alarming ease as they failed to match Matlock's top class workrate and energy, the Gladiators showing an enthusiasm which delighted their 250-strong following who sang throughout the 90 minutes.

Laurence Gaughan came in for his first start of the season as with Martin Foster suspended, Phil Roe was pushed on to the left of midfield and Glyn Cotton reinforced the engine room at Joe Leesley's expense.

Leesley was a substitute on a bench which included under 19 star James Travis and goalkeeper Matt Leese. Nick Buxton was at his daughter's wedding and both Oscar Radford and Anthony Griffiths-Junior were cup tied.

Mansfield worked an opening in only the third minute as Murray drove a foot past Jon Kennedy's right hand post, the referee wrongly awarding a corner which was cleared.

But shortly afterwards Redmond had to dive bravely at Massiah McDonald's feet in a one on one from Cotton's through pass, the goalkeeper recovering after treatment.

Then on seven minutes came the penalty when John Thompson's lunge wiped out McDonald, the Stags defender escaping with a yellow card when some referees would have shown a red.

Mcmahon's penalty was firmly struck, but Redmond dived acrobatically to his right to block and then spectacularly denied Ashmore on the rebound.

Redmond held his ground to deny McDonald on 13 minutes after the number nine had again been eased through by a precision pass from Cotton.

Gaughan limped off on 21 minutes with what looked to be a reoccurrence of his hamstring complaint, so with Brad Grayson sent on, Roe reverted to left back.

Three minutes later Mansfield went in front as Louis Briscoe's well struck drive bounced awkwardly in front of Kennedy and from the goalkeeper's parry, Murray had the relatively simple task of pushing home the loose ball.

That should have been the signal for Matlock to perhaps capitulate. Certainly it looked as if an over confident Mansfield thought so. The Gladiators had other ideas.

They battled and chased and Mansfield looked nervous. The hosts simply could not retain possession and on 38 minutes a deliciously constructed goal saw Matlock back on level terms.

An exquisite and intricate passing move ended with a cheeky and superbly disguised back heel from McDonald to McMahon who calmly sidefooted home from the edge of the box.

The expected surge from Mansfield after the break failed to materialise and Matlock had a good chance on 47 minutes. A probing individual run from Grayson ended with Redmond holding the substitute's shot which was straight at him.

Kennedy saved well from Matt Green at the other end before Briscoe's header fell across the face of the goal but there was nothing of any substance from the Stags to seriously trouble the underdogs.

Matlock remained calm and composed on the ball, playing in neat little triangles and outpassing their opponents in a style which looked pleasing on the eye.

Gareth Davies broke into the box on the left but Thompson deflected his cross behind with both McDonald and McMahon waiting to pounce.

Grayson had a shot blocked before Ashmore found McMahon on the left whose low cross was superbly grasped at full stretch by Redmond, saving probably a certain goal with McDonald waiting for the scraps.

McDonald fired high and wide after another break down the left and certainly Matlock had done enough not only to force a replay but they might even had won it.

Substitute Matt Rhead might have done better with two late chances for the hosts but that would have been tough on a resilient and skilful Gladiators.

Right at the death though Grayson could have been the hero. With Redmond off his line, Grayson slipped as he prepared to pull the trigger to shoot, but he still managed to find a shot. But defender Luke Jones was there to boot clear with the ball heading goalwards and save Mansfield's blushes.

A delighted Mark Atkins said afterwards “It was a good performance and that's what we came here to do.

“We're disappointed not to win the game but overall we're very happy and I'm delighted with the way we tried to play the game. Now we have another great game on Tuesday and it's a reward for our supporters who were fantastic today.”

MATLOCK: Jon Kennedy, Micky Harcourt, Phil Roe, Laurence Gaughan (Brad Grayson 21), Adam Yates, James Lukic, Glyn Cotton (Joe Leesley 90+2), James Ashmore, Massiah McDonald, Lewis McMahon, Gareth Davies.

Subs not used: Will Dennis, James Travis, Matt Leese.

REFEREE: C Kavanagh (Ashton-under-Lyne).


STAR MAN: Lewis McMahon



Latest | November 2012