{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2012

23rd November 2012 16:16

Blue Square Bet Premier
Macclesfield Town 0 - 3 Mansfield Town
Green 40, Meikle 66, Jones 87.
Attendance: 1272 (202 from Mansfield)

Date: 20 November 2012

Martin Shaw at Moss Rose

Mansfield Town produced a near-perfect away performance to crush Macclesfield Town at Moss Rose on Tuesday night. The Stags away form had been dreadful, in fact the worst in the division, and this performance was long overdue. Luke Jones, replacing the suspended Exodus Geohaghon, produced a man of the match display in central defence, winning everything in the air and capping his display with a goal near the end with a header from a corner. Matt Green, back in the starting line-up after his equaliser off the bench against Luton, scored the opening goal, also with a header from a Chris Clements corner, though Macclesfield keeper Lance Cronin will feel he should have got there first. The second goal was a wonderful goal to watch with crisp passing football involving Green and Briscoe who fed to Meikle to pass the ball into the net. It was pass-pass-pass and just like watching Barcelona, well at least for fifteen seconds anyway! Shane Redmond recovered from his disappointing game against Luton with a fine performance including some crucial saves. The back four were very good, with Thompson at right back and Beevers at left back both playing well, though Beevers was given a torrid time when the fantastic Jack MacReth came on as substitute for Macclesfield. Sutton also looked comfortable alongside Jones. In midfield, Murray who replaced the injured Howell, started slowly but grew into the game and protected the back four superbly in a way that Howell has not been doing recently, while Clements continued his fine form and his corners were deadly. The Stags now have a break from the league with cup ties against Matlock Town in the Trophy and Lincoln City in the FA Cup. Bizarrely after an MTFC vs MTFC contest last night, it is another one on Saturday against Matlock Town FC. Come on Mansfield!

Paul Cox made three changes from the side that played so well in a draw with Luton two days earlier: Luke Jones can in for the suspended Geohaghon (Jones had been training with the youth team as Cox had cut down the number of players training with the first team); Adam Murray replaced Howell who was out with an ankle injury; and Green came in for Wright.

Man of the match: Luke Jones

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


Macclesfield Town 0-3 Mansfield Town, Tuesday 20th November
CHAD report by By John Lomas

IN-FORM Mansfield Town made it six games unbeaten with this first away win in three months at Macclesfield Town's Moss Rose tonight (Tuesday).

Stags were in control from start to finish and won the points with a 39th minute goal from recalled Matt Green, his second in as many games, a brilliantly-worked goal by Lindon Meikle on 66 minutes, and a late header by Luke Jones.

The visitors made a confident start with Green having a shot blocked and Murray way too high with an early effort.

On nine minutes Murray won a robust tackle on the left before hoisting a high ball forward for Green to attack Jackson and eventually fire a left-footed finish over.

But Redmond had to get down quickly to grab a powerful low Henry ball from the right at the feet of Holroyd.

The Silkmen then broke quickly from Stags' first corner and Thompson did well to save the day with a crucial double clearance with the home side having men over.

Clements was only just the home angle with a curling shot after making a fine interception as Mansfield continued to press.

On 29 minutes Green's pace took him into a great central position to unleash a blast that Cronin had to beat away for a corner.

Cronin needed a second attempt to grab a low Hutchinson shot that skidded towards him as Mansfield enjoyed all the possession.

Clements also tested Cronin from 25 yards before Murtagh was booked on 33 minutes for leaving a foot in while tackling as the home side's frustration grew.

Wedgbury fired in a snapshot from 30 yards which forced Redmond into a save.

Briscoe was looking back to his bullish best and saw a low free kick deflect inches wide for a corner on 39 minutes.

From that Stags grabbed a deserved lead as Clements floated it into the centre of the six yard box where Green's head got there before Cronin.

Macclesfield almost had an instant reply as Braham-Barratt did well to keep the ball in play on the left and pull it back for Henry, whose shot was mis-hit and almost deceived Redmond but he was able to make the save.

He was also behind Jackson's low effort in stoppage time to ensure Stags went into half-time ahead as the Silkmen ended the half on the front foot.

Green should have made it 2-0 five minutes after the restart.

An offside flag was raised as Green went clean through, but the referee was aware Green was chasing a poor back pass from Jackson and play went on, Green missing the target with his finish.

Beevers was booked for clearing the ball after the whistle had gone on 53 minutes and will now miss Saturday's Trophy tie.

Wedgbury dragged a shot just wide from distance after winning the ball from Murray, who had just had his final warning for persistent fouling.

Stags began to regain their first half momentum and Meikle made Cronin save high to his left with a curling effort from 25 yards, Clements then just over from the same distance, before Meikle saw a shot deflect and loop over.

Holroyd might have equalised seconds later when picked out with a great cross by sub Mackreth only to send his free header straight at a relieved Redmond.

Instead Stags carved out their best goal of the season on 66 minutes.

Green drove to the right by-line before placing a perfect square pass to the supporting Briscoe, who skipped between two defenders to put the ball on Meikle's boot almost right on the line to apply the finishing touch.

Redmond failed to hold onto Mackreth's next cross, but thankfully Thompson was there to hack clear.

Murtagh was narrowly wide with a vicious low drive soon after as the desperate Silkmen replaced hot shot Barnes-Homer with Morgan-Smith for the last 18 minutes.

Redmond was added to the book for time wasting on 75 minutes.

Mackreth fired into the near sidenetting and then Kissock screwed another effort wide as we entered the last 10 minutes.

Hutchinson was booked for his foul on Wedgbury on 82 minutes and immediately replaced by Stevenson.

Three home corners followed, Redmond saving Kissock's prod from the second.

With the Silkmen pushing forward, Mansfield were able to exploit the space and Speight forced a good save from Cronin, full-length to his left, before Jones set the seal on a superb night with a powerful header from Clements' corner two minutes from time which Cronin got his hands to but couldn't keep out.

Clements and Mackreth both forced saves in stoppage time as Stags held onto a clean sheet


Away-day delight as improved Stags hit form to sink Silkmen
Nottingham Post report by Stevie Roden

MANSFIELD Town arrived in Macclesfield with the joint worst away record in the Blue Square Bet Premier.


To put that into context, they shared it with bottom club Nuneaton, with just five points from their eight games.

Last night was a chance to claim just a second away league win, as they made the trip over the Cat and Fiddle for their re-arranged game, after the original fixture was washed out in September.

They boast the best home record in the division, so it is easy to pinpoint where they need to improve if they are to get among the promotion mix.

And last night, they finally got back into the groove on the road as Matt Green netted his second goal in three days before Lindon Meikle and Luke Jones made sure of the points in the second-half in a solid 3-0 victory.

Mansfield boss Paul Cox made three changes to the side that drew 2-2 with Luton Town on Sunday.

Defender Exodus Geohaghon served his one-match ban, while midfielder Anthony Howell was not risked because of a knee injury. Striker Nick Wright was carrying a slight knock and dropped to the bench.

In came Jones, skipper Adam Murray and Green, who started as a reward for his late equaliser at the weekend after coming off the bench.

It was a quiet opening but in the ninth minute, Murray was strong to win the ball back on the halfway line and he weighted a pinpoint ball down the left flank for Green.

The striker cut in and then back out of his marker inside the box but lifted his shot over the bar.

Macclesfield looked to get on the front foot when Keiran Murtagh burst forward through the centre and fed Charlie Henry down the right of the box but Shane Redmond got down to save his low strike.

Ryan Jackson gave away a terrible ball straight to Green who burst forward, to the right of the central defender into the box but Lance Cronin, diving to his left, turned away the driven shot for a corner.

Out of nothing, Macclesfield's Sam Wedgbury struck a 35-yard effort that was moving all over the place but Redmond managed to palm away and grab at the second attempt.

Louis Briscoe saw a free-kick deflected behind for a corner and from it, on 39 minutes, Chris Clements floated it in from the left and Green rose, unchallenged, inside the six-yard box to head home.

The hosts almost equalised when a ball was cut back from the left for Henry, whose rising shot was turned over the bar by Redmond.

Six minutes into the second half, Jackson played another awful back pass straight to Green to put him in on goal and, bizarrely, the assistant referee flagged for offside.

But the referee ignored the flag only for Green to wildly blaze his shot wide of goal.

Meikle then displayed his skill as he skipped by two men, cut back and then danced his way through two more players before stinging the hands of Cronin with his 20-yard shot and Clements then dipped an effort just over from distance.

Jack Mackreth, just on as a substitute, delivered a superb ball from the right to find the unmarked Chris Holroyd at the back post, with time on his hands, but he placed a soft header straight at Redmond to give the Stags a huge let off.

On 66 minutes, Mansfield doubled their advantage with a well-worked goal. Green capitalised on a poor touch from Kieran Charnock and got down the right of the box, pulled it back to Briscoe who showed a great turn of pace and control to get past a defender to the byline before firing across the six-yard box for the onrushing Meikle to hammer in from close range.

Speight replaced Green on 74 minutes for Mansfield but it was Luke Jones who got the third goal as he met a Clements corner two minutes from time and Cronin's hand failed to take the sting out of the header as it went over the line.

Macclesfield: Cronin, Jackson, Braham-Barrett, Charnock, Henry (Mackreth, 60), Martin, Murtagh, Wedgbury, Kissock, Barnes-Homer (Morgan-Smith, 72), Holroyd. Subs: Winn, Diagne, Fairhurst.

Mansfield: Redmond, Thompson, Beevers, Sutton, Jones, Briscoe (Daniel, 84), Murray, Clements, Meikle, Hutchinson (Stevenson, 82), Green (Speight, 74). Subs: Rhead, Wright.

Referee: Karl Evans (Greater Manchester)

Attendance: 1,272 (202 visitors)


Silkmen beaten by the Stags
by Andy Brinkhurst

Macclesfield were beaten at the Moss Rose for the second time in three days and for the first time this campaign failed to find the net at the Moss Rose.

The Silkmen conceded twice from corners, giving Mansfield their first away win since August and rising above the home side in the table.

Leading scorer Matthew Barnes-Homer was recalled to the attack in place of Waide Fairhurst and Kieran Charnock was brought back into the side to partner Carl Martin at the heart of defence.

Former Silkman Adam Murray had the first shot of the evening – smashing an ambitious half volley over the bar and out of the ground from 25 yards in the second minute.

In the ninth minute Murray's pass down the left channel found Matt Green who had beaten the Macc offside trap, and after cutting inside he checked back onto his left foot but fired well over.

Chris Holroyd had the ball in the net a few minutes later, tucking comfortably past the keeper after he was slipped though by John Paul Kissock, however the offside flag denied the loanee forward his second goal in a week.

On 17 minutes Kieran Murtagh broke forward from midfield and with a big gap opening up in front of him he found Charlie Henry who hit a low drive which was well held by keeper Shane Redmond before Holroyd could pounce.

Moments later a long ball forward was flicked on by Barnes-Homer and looked to put his strike partner in but Holroyd failed to control the ball as it dropped to him.

At the other end Charnock failed to properly clear Chris Clements' through ball and the ball dropped back to the feet of the Stags midfielder who curled his effort high and wide of the far corner.

On the half hour mark a sloppy pass by Ryan Jackson gifted Green a fabulous chance but Cronin palmed his shot wide when he let fly from 20 yards.

The visitors tested Cronin with a few efforts from around the edge of the box - Clements' skidding drive well held by the Macc keeper, who was less comfortable keeping out Lindon Meikle's 25 yard effort but did so at the second time of asking.

Sam Wedgbury tried a speculative long range effort of his own in the 37th minute with the keeper parrying his swerving drive and gathering before anyone could follow up.

Six minutes before the interval Mansfield were awarded a free kick for a foul by Jackson on Meikle and Louis Briscoe tried to drive under the wall but his short was deflected wide for a corner. The Stags went ahead from the set piece with Clements' corner finding Green who beat Cronin to the ball and nod in from close range for his sixth league goal of the season.

Macc tried to hit back immediately when Murtagh's raking crossfield ball was well kept in by Craig Braham-Barrett who had sprinted forward from left back, who he cut the ball back for Henry to hit his shot into the ground and Redmond tipped the ball over.

In first half stoppage time Murtagh this time sprayed the ball out to Jackson bombing down the other touchline, the right back cutting infield and driving left footed through a crowded area but the keeper held well.

After half time Jackson again gifted Green with a good opportunity with a loose backpass but with Cronin coming from his goal to narrow the angle he placed his shot wide of the far post.

On 57 minutes Wedgbury won the ball from Murray 30 yards out and with the defence backing off he went for goal but dragged a feet wide.

Cronin held Meikle's dipping drive after he had spun past Murtagh before Jack Mackreth was introduced for Henry to give the Silkmen some extra pace down the right flank.

The quick winger's first involvement was positive – skinning his man after running down the right wing from the halfway line and picking out Holroyd at the back post but his tame header was straight at the keeper.

The Stags doubled their advantage when Charnock made a mess of his clearance trying to volley clear a ball down the right, allowing Green to race onto the ball and get behind the Macc defence. He held the ball up well and found Briscoe charging into the box, who got to the byline and played a perfect pass across the face of goal for the onrushing Meikle to tap in from close range.

Most of Macc's attacks came down the right after the introduction of Mackreth and on 70 minutes he was picked out by Murtagh's chipped ball over the full back. His first cross was blocked but he then played the ball back in and keeper Redmond diving out couldn't reach it and Luke Jones just about scrambled the ball behind.

Murtagh was teed up by Kissock but slammed his low effort just wide of the post and Mackreth was also off target after cutting in from the wing and smashing into the side netting from a tight angle, as a frustrated Macc tried in vain to get back into the game.

Kissock's corner flew over the heads of most in the centre but reached Wedgbury lurking deep and his well hit shot was deflected wide. Wedgbury took the resulting set piece and this time it was Kissock found at the back post but his first time effort was pushed wide by the keeper.

With Mansfield sitting deeper and playing on the break, substitute Jake Speight latched on to a long clearance and cut inside Martin to try a curling effort for the far corner but Cronin acrobatically pushed it wide. Macc were again made to pay from a corner with Clements' deep cross picking out Jones beyond the far post who powered his header in from a few yards out with neither Cronin nor Jackson on the line able to keep it out.



Latest | November 2012