{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2012

16th November 2012 23:52

FA Cup 1st round replay
Slough Town 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
AET. Mansfield win 4-1 on penalties
Bowden-Haase 65. Woozley OG 45+2.

Attendance: 1597 (approx 100 from Mansfield)

Date: 13 November 2012

Martin Shaw at Holloways Park, Beaconsfield SYCOB FC

Mansfield Town finally overcame Slough Town from the Southern League Central Division, three leagues below the Conference, on penalties after 210 minutes of stalemate in the FA Cup first round. Mansfield now face a tasty second round tie at local rivals Lincoln on 1 December, after Lincoln overcame Walsall. The Stags had looked comfortable in leading 1-0 midway through the second half, but a Slough equaliser with a header following a brilliant free kick against the underside bar, turned the tie, and after that either side could have won it in normal time or extra time. Slough could rightly be proud of their efforts but ultimately, Mansfield's clinical penalty-taking along with a great save in the shoot-out from Shane Redmond, were enough to win through.

Man of the match: Exodus Geohaghon/Shane Redmond

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


Slough Town 1 Mansfield Town 1 (Mansfield win 4-1 on pens) - FA Cup First Round replay, 13th November 2012
CHAD report by John Lomas

MANSFIELD Town needed penalties to finally see off plucky minnows Slough Town in their FA Cup first round replay.

The Rebels deserved their shoot-out after 210 minutes of football failed to separate them.

But, in the end it was Mansfield's coolness from the spot that saw then home with Chris Clements, Louis Briscoe and Matt Rhead finding the net and Shane Redmond making a great save to his right to deny Ollie Burgess while Sean Sonner blazed over, giving Jake Speight the chance to wrap it up at 4-1.

Stags finished the night with 10 men after skipper John Dempster was sent-off. But earlier they had taken the lead through an own goal and also seen home keeper James Warrington in fine form.

But the Rebels had some great moments of their own and were good value for the shoot-out.

Stags now face Lincoln City away in round two on Saturday, 1st December.

In a scrappy opening few minutes, neither keeper was tested.

But on seven minutes Hutchinson showed his vision as he saw the keeper off his line just a few yards inside the home half and smashed a dipping shot not too far over the angle which would have been goal of the season had it found the net.

Briscoe then twice came close, seeing a shot blocked and seconds later another effort take a massive deflection which keeper Warrington did well to adjust his position for the make the save.

Slough's first foray into the Stags' half took 14 minutes as Rhone flashed a 25 yard half volley wide of the far post.

Burgess needed treatment after feeling the full force of Clements' 25 yard free kick in the home wall.

Wright had a great shout for a penalty when he went down with defender Woozley all over him, but star name ref Andy D'Urso decided otherwise.

Warrington made a fine double save on 23 minutes as he got down low to save another wickedly deflected Briscoe shot and was there again to block Dempster's close range follow-up header.

Howell's through ball was then only just to hard for Wright to reach, Warrington then first.

Beevers then shot the door as Burnell tried to wriggle his way through in the Stags box for a shooting chance.

A great run by Meikle saw him beat four opponents and square to his right for Howell to dip a 20-yard finish just over the top.

Still Stags came forward and Howell won two fine tackles to feed Meikle who, from the right, pulled it back for Clements to fire wide.

Slough did have the ball in the Stags' net with a flick from Rhone past Redmond from a central free kick two minutes from the interval.

Then skipper Woozley sent a dangerous cross in from the left by-line which looped over Redmond but failed to find a yellow shirt behind him to apply a finishing touch.

But Stags finally went ahead in scrappy fashion in the second minute of stoppage time.

A poor Slough clearance saw Beevers lift the ball back into the danger zone where Geohaghon jumped with Woozley and the ball flew past the keeper.

Geohaghon took the plaudits. But it looked more like the ball had come off the defender.

Slough inevitably gave it a go after the break, but Mansfield defended manfully.

The home side did win a corner on 57 minutes, but again it was cleared.

Mansfield made their first change as Speight took over from Wright up front.

He soon had his first chance as Meikle laid a pass towards him, but Speight hurried a low finish wide.

However, on 66 minutes Slough were level completely out of the blue.

Geohaghon gave away a free kick centrally 25 yards out.

Swift stepped up to curl a superb kick which beat Redmond but clipped the inside of the post and bounced back across goal where Bowden-Hasse reacted quickest to head home from three yards.

Suddenly it was backs to the wall for Stags as Woozley was inches away from turning home a corner and then Redmond had to race out his box to beat Smith to a through ball with the flag staying down.

Redmond did well to make an important catch from another home corner as the Rebels' fans turned up the volume.

There were definite signs of panic in the Mansfield defence with some hurried clearances and Logie headed wide from the Rebels' next corner.

With nine minutes left Rhead replaced Hutchinson, but it was Slough who were finishing strongly, Redmond, enjoying a polished game, twice called to come and catch and then punch two dangerous balls in.

Meikle curled a poor sidefooted finish wide on 86 minutes from a Briscoe pass as extra-time loomed.

Stags forced four late corners, Speight lashed over on the break in stoppage time and Briscoe was also too high.

Meikle also wasted a great late chance with a reluctance to finish and at the death Warrington got down to block a Rhead finish.

Stags twice came close in the first half of extra-time with Warrington grabbing Rhead's on-target header and Speight allowing Warrington to block his tame finish after going one-on-one with the keeper from Rhead's flick.

Burgess was also close with a diving header for Slough two minutes later as they broke well from the Mansfield pressure.

Tempers flared after Dempster was caught in the face, Bowden-Hasse booked on 110 minutes once the shoving had died down, Geohaghon joining him for his part in the confrontation.

Then Dempster dived into a tackle on 113 minutes to earn a straight red with a home player going down off the ball in some 'afters'

Speight had a near post effort blocked on the line and headed inches wide at the near post while Howell volleyed a golden chance over from 12 yards as the home side hung on to earn the spot kick shoot-out.

SLOUGH: Warrington, Fraser, Rhone (Sinclair 62), Brown, Bowden-Hasse, Woozley, Burgess, D. Deeney (Logie 35), Burnell (Sonner 81), Smith, Swift. Subs not used: A. Deeney, Perkins, Murphy, Abbey.

STAGS: Redmond; Sutton, Geohaghon, Dempster, Beevers; Briscoe, Clements, Howell, Meikle (Daneil 105); Hutchinson (Rhead 81), Wright (Speight 57). Subs not used: Stevenson, Thompson, Murray, Hopkins.

REFEREE: Andy D'Urso.


MOM: Exodus Geohagon


Mansfield Town progress in cup, but only after the drama of penalties
Nottingham Post report by Stevie Roden

MANSFIELD Town went through on penalties in a dramatic FA Cup first round replay at Slough Town last night and will now play Lincoln City in round two.


The Stags took the lead in first-half stoppage time when Dave Woozley, under pressure from Exodus Geohaghon, put through his own goal but in the 66th minute, his defensive partner Nathan Bowden-Haase equalised when he nodded home after Stuart Swift's free-kick came off the post.

Nobody could find the winner in extra time, as the tie ended 1-1 and had to be decided on penalties.

Chris Clements, Lousis Briscoe, Matt Rheade and Jake Speight all scored from the spot for Stags, while Shane Redmond saved Slough's second penalty and saw them miss their third effort as Town won 4-1 to progress.

Mansfield boss Paul Cox had named an unchanged starting XI for the third game running but striker Matt Green was not on the bench due to illness.

There was a scare 40 minutes before kick-off when, for a few minutes, the floodlights went out at Holloways Park but they were back for the warm-ups.

The game got underway with fans packed right up to the pitch on four sides of the compact ground and on two occasions early on Lindon Miekle looked lively.

Twice he teed up Louis Briscoe to cross but both times the hosts, from the Evo-Stik Southern Central Division One, dealt with it.

Midway through the half, Stags striker Nick Wright claimed to have been pulled to the ground in the box by Alex Brown but nothing was given and then Warrington pulled off a superb double save.

After Clements' free kick was cleared to the edge of the box, Briscoe fired another deflected strike which was turned away superbly before John Dempster got up to win the header but the Slough goalkeeper somehow turned it behind for a corner.

Anthony Howell then swept one over the bar from 20 yards as Mansfield dominated.

And, ten minutes later, after great fight from Howell to keep possession, the ball was played out to Meikle who played inside for Clements but on the half-volley, he fired just wide.

Slough had the ball in the net just before half time, but only after the flag had gone up well before left-back Dominic Rhone flicked home following a free-kick into the box.

The breakthrough finally came in first-half stoppage time when Slough failed to clear a corner, slicing only to full-back Lee Beevers.

And when he whipped it in, Geohaghon went up with two defenders inside the area and he caused a nuisance, with the last touch coming off Woozley's head, the Slough player looping the ball over his own goalkeeper Warrington and into the net.

Slough came out for the second half with purpose in the opening ten minutes but without testing Mansfield goalkeeper Shane Redmond.

Jake Speight, Mansfield's top scorer with eight goals, came on for Nick Wright shortly before the hour mark but it was the Rebels who pulled level on 66 minutes in dramatic fashion.

Swift curled a fine left-footed 25-yard free kick that hit the angle of post and bar with Redmond beaten, bounced back across goal and Bowden-Haase headed in from close range.

And two minutes later, Woozley slid in to meet a corner from the right but his effort went just wide of the far post with the Stags rattled.

With ten minutes remaining, Adam Logie headed over from a Slough corner as the home crowd found their full voice.

The burly figure of Matt Rhead replaced Hutchinson with nine minutes of normal time remaining but it was Slough still pushing, as Redmond came flying out of his goal to bravely punch a dangerous ball well clear.

In the last minute of normal time, Clements played in Speight behind the defence, he raced onto it but thundered a dipping effort just over the bar before four minutes were added by the fourth official.

And in the final seconds, Warrington denied Rhead with an outstretched leg before the game went into extra time.

Deep into the first period of extra time, Speight went clean through but one-on-one with Warrington, he overran it slightly and then saw his weak shot saved by the legs of the goalkeeper before at the other end, Slough's Olie Burgess flashed a header wide.

Stags skipper John Dempster then saw red for a late challenge in the 112th minute, before Howell and Speight both missed the target with good chances late in extra time, before penalties were needed to decide the game.

Slough: Warrington, Fraser, Rhone (Sinclair, 62), Brown, Bowden-Hasse, Woozley, Burgess, D Deeney (Logie, 35), Burnell (Sonner, 81), Smith, Swift. Subs: A Deeney, Perkins, Murphy, Abbey.

Mansfield: Redmond, Sutton, Beevers, Geohaghon, Dempster, Briscoe, Howell, Clements, Meikle (Daniel, 105), Hutchinson (Rhead, 81), Wright (Speight, 57). Subs: Stevenson, Thompson, Murray, Hopkins.

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Attendance: 1,597


Slough Town suffer FA Cup penalty heartbreak
Tuesday 13 November 2012 Written by Charles Watts


Keeper James Warrington was in superb form for Slough.Slough Town FC suffered FA Cup heartbreak tonight (Tuesday) as they lost their first round replay with Mansfield on penalties.

The Rebels were beaten 4-1 on spot kicks after both Ollie Burgess and Sean Sonner missed from 12 yards.

It was a painful end to the contest for the home side who had bravely fought back from a goal behind to draw 1-1 after 90 minutes.

The visitors broke the deadlock right at the end of closely fought first half when Dominic Rhone failed to clear a corner and Exodus Seohaghon was on hand to head past Warrington.

It was a awful time for the hosts to concede but they responded superbly after the interval and drew level midway through the half.

Stuart Swift crashed a superb free-kick against the crossbar and Nathan Bowden-Haase reacted quickest to nod the ball over the line.

Mansfield skipper John Dempster was dismissed for a wild lung during the extra 30 minutes but the hosts couldn't take advantage of having an extra man as the game went to penalties.

Chris Clements stepped up and scored first for Mansfield, as did Swift for Slough. Louis Briscoe then netted for the visitors before Burgess missed for the Rebels.

Matt Rhead made it 3-1 and when Sonner fired over, Jake Speight struck to send the Blue Square Premier side through to the second round.

Slough: Warrington, Fraser, Rhone (Sinclair), Brown, Bowden-Haase, Woozley, Burgess, D Deeney (Logie), Burnell (Sonner), Smith, Swift. Subs: A Deeney, Perkins, Murphy, Abbey.

Mansfield: Redmond, Clements, Meikle, Briscoe, Dempster, Sutton, Beevers, Howells, Wright, Seohaghon, Hutchinson. Subs: Speight, Stevenson, Daniel, Thompson, Rhead, Murry, Hopkins.

Attendance: 1,597



Latest | November 2012