{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2012

23rd October 2012 14:32

16 Oct 2012
Central League Division Two
Mansfield Town reserves 7-0 Bradford City reserves
Hutchinson 9, 22, Wright 13, 75, 86, Clements 38, Jones 56.

Hutchinson 9
(Wright heads back corner, and Hutchinson nods in)

Wright 13
(Stevenson to Hutchinson who feeds Wright, good move)

Hutchinson 22
(drilled finish, from Clements corner headed down by Jones)

Clements 38
(Curling effort from short Briscoe corner)

Jones 56
(bullet header)

Wright 75
(from Hutchinson clip over the top from halfway line, Wright drills under keeper left-footed)

Wright 86 (hat-trick)
(Briscoe from byeline back across goal, Wright controls it and drags it into the bottom corner)

Craig Priest man of the match Ben Hutchinson for scoring two and setting two up

4-4-1-1 formation
Jake Green, Jobe Shaw, Jones, Owens;
Briscoe, Clements (captain), Taiwo, Wright;
Rogers for Taiwo 58
Jabbi for Clements 72
Joe Flint for Stevenson 72
Subs not used:
Holland, Birch, Turner.


Rampant reserves In Seventh Heaven

Andy Todd's reserve team left the One Call Stadium in seventh heaven last night after smashing Bradford City reserves 7-0, to move up to second in the Central League Division Two standings.


Ben Hutchinson was the pick of the bunch, scoring two and being involved in virtually every goal of the seven goal bombardment in a match which saw fellow striker Nick Wright claim the match ball with a hat-trick and visiting keeper Stuart Morrison excelling for Bradford keeping the score to single figures.

Mansfield were unlucky not to have a third minute lead as Louis Briscoe drilled narrowly wide following a short corner with Chris Clements. The winger came close again a minute later before Hutchinson opened the scoring on eight minutes.

It all stemmed from an excellent Clements delivery after Hutchinson had won a corner from good hold up play to the left of the box. Clements' cross was headed back across the box by Nick Wright for Hutchinson, who leapt high to thunder a header beyond the stranded Morrison.

The visitors briefly scared Mansfield on eleven minutes with a deep free kick from Forrayah Bass which caused trouble, but an assured clearance from Luke Jones gave Todd's men breathing space

Then at the other end, Hutchinson split the defence with a drilled pass and the on rushing Wright latched onto the ball, to slot beneath Morrison.

Jobe Shaw, Mansfield's youngest player on show, maintained Stags' lead on 17 minutes when Scott Brown's corner was headed down into the mix by Carl Hugh as Shaw then stood firm to clear the loose ball.

Andy Owens launched a trademark long throw into the middle three minutes later from which the visitors defended; the same couldn't be said moments later as rampant Mansfield made it 3-0.

Once again it came from Hutchinson winning a corner which was taken by Clements. Luke Jones was first to the ball but saw his thunderous header palmed away by Morrison but the Bantams keeper remained static as Ben Hutchinson fired home the loose ball on eight yards on the volley.

Hutchinson was certainly looking hungry and was majorly unlucky to be denied a hat-trick with 25 minutes played. Wright fed the dangerous front man into some space and Hutchinson stepped inside the challenge of McHugh before drilling a shot towards the bottom corner, which was expertly turned behind by the goalkeeper.

Shane Redmond was kept on his toes seconds later as youngster Connor Erangey had a pot shot from the edge of the box, but it was a comfortable save for the Stags' glovesman.

Hutchinson was then cursing his luck as he headed home a deep Clements free kick, only for the offside flag to be raised, denying the hit man a first half treble.

With 30 minutes played Hutchinson took the paint off the post as he drilled an effort wide of the mark. Then, Wright and Lee Stevenson both saw goalbound efforts tipped away before the forth finally arrived in spectacular fashion.
Another dominant surge from Hutchinson earned a corner with seven minutes of the first half remaining. Briscoe took the set play quickly to find Clements who curled a beautiful effort into the top corner from the edge of the area.

The roles were nearly reversed on the stroke of half time as Clements fed Briscoe, however Bantams shot stopper Morrison again pulled off an excellent save to keep the score line 4-0 in Mansfield's favour at half time.
Stags were still sniffing another goal, which they found on 55 minutes when Lee Stevenson's thunderous header forced another expert stop from Morrison. Luke Jones then arrived at the same spot to power home a header from Clements' pin point corner.

On the hour mark Solomon Taiwo was replaced by last season's youth team player of the season Scott Rogers, who soon became involved with play. After laying it off to Stevenson, The ex Eastwood man then sent Wright charging free through the middle but was thwarted by the Bantams' keeper.

Youth team duo Nuha Jabbi and Joe Flint then replaced Chris Clements and Lee Stevenson respectively.

Three minutes later Mansfield made it 6-0 after excellent creative play from Hutchinson. Dropping into midfield to collect a low pass, he spun well before clipping beautifully over the top for Wright and the former Kidderminster man grabbed his second of the game as he fired in from the left of the box with his left boot.

The visitors then enjoyed a five minute spell of pressure where Hepworth, Brown and Erangey all wasted their individual opportunities. Todd's second string then completed the scoring with five minutes remaining as Nick Wright collected the match ball.

Again it stemmed from Hutchinson who took a quick free kick after being felled on the right hand side and his low pass to Briscoe saw the creative wide man turn Bass inside out before cutting the ball back into the middle. Wright arrived on the penalty spot and controlled well before slotting in his third and Mansfield's seventh of the night.

Line Up: Shane Redmond, Jake Green, Luke Jones, Jobe Shaw, Andy Owens, Louis Briscoe, Chris Clements (C) (Nuha Jabbi 65), Solomon Taiwo (Scott Rogers 60), Nick Wright, Lee Stevenson (Joe Flint 65), Ben Hutchinson
Substitutes Not Used: Joel Holland, Ben Birch, Kurtis Turner


Mansfield 7 Bradford 0 - Reserves
Tuesday 16 October 2012
Central League reserve fixture

Mansfield Town 7 (Hutchinson 8, 22, Wright 13, 76, 86, Clements 38, Jones 57)
Bradford City 0

Kick Off: 7.00pm
at the One Call Stadium


Ritchie Jones completing ninety minutes for the first time this season was the main highlight to come from the Bantams' trip to Mansfield Town this Tuesday after a young City reserve side was heavily beaten by a rampant home team.

Two goals from Stags attacker Ben Hutchinson, plus efforts from Nick Wright and Chris Clements, gave the hosts a commanding four goal advantage at the interval.

Central defender Luke Jones netted Mansfield's fifth early into the second half before Wright completed his hat-trick with a late double.

Following an ankle problem at the beginning of the campaign, Jones' run-out at the One Call Stadium was only his second of the season after the midfielder started in City's Johnstone's Paint Trophy win at Hartlepool United last week.

Besides Jones, Adam Baker and Carl McHugh were the only other first team squad members on show for Bradford in front of the watching duo of Phil Parkinson and Steve Parkin.

It was the more experienced hosts who started the Central League fixture the quicker, however, with Jones twice heading narrowly wide in quick succession from early Mansfield set-pieces.

At the other end, Connor Erangey tried to pick out the waiting Nathan Curtis with a low centre across the six yard box but Jones was on hand to complete some defensive duties this time as he cleared the danger.

Mansfield took the lead of the match after only eight minutes when Nick Wright knocked a Lee Stevenson far post corner back into the path of Ben Hutchinson, who sent a looping header over Stuart Morrison from around ten yards out.

Wright and Hutchinson then combined in reverse order five minutes later to double the hosts' lead.

Mansfield's opening goalscorer played Wright in behind City's defence with a well-timed pass and the Stags attacker coolly slotted past last-man Morrison.

With the hosts still largely on top in the game, Morrison was then called upon to make a fine double stop.

The young keeper's first save was required to prevent a rising angled effort across goal by Stevenson from finding the top corner.

The rebound still fell kindly into the path of Hutchinson inside the six yard box, but City's shot-stopper produced a smart reaction save low to his left to keep out the striker's prod for goal.

Hutchinson wouldn't be denied his second for long, however, as he managed to bring up Mansfield's treble just past the twenty-minute mark.

A Stevenson corner popped up into Hutchinson's path just by the penalty spot and the striker rifled the loose ball into the far corner past a helpless Morrison with a driven half-volley.

Clearly sensing a first half hat-trick, the dangerous Hutchinson then found himself at the heart of another threatening Stags attack just before halfway point of the first period.

Hutchinson was played into space and behind the Bantams back-line but with only Morrison to beat, the young 'keeper was on hand to smother the forward's effort with a commendable block.

Seemingly at the forefront of every Mansfield movement forward in the first half, Hutchinson engineered himself another scoring chance when he drove at the City defence from outside the area minutes later.

Upon reaching the edge of City's area, Hutchinson fired for goal with a low angled drive but his effort rolled narrowly wide of the far post.

Less than ten minutes before the interval, Morrison was required to make another impressive save on the night to deny a Stags attacker when showed superb reflexes to get down to a low Stevenson volley from the edge of the area to tip it around the post.

Moments later, however, there was nothing the Bantams shot-stopper could do to prevent Mansfield registering a fourth when Louis Briscoe and Chris Clements combined from a short corner to give the latter the opportunity to curl home a brilliant effort from wide into the top corner.

Erangey tried to reduce City's deficit in the final minutes of the opening period but Shane Redmond got down well to his low drive from just inside the area to prevent the effort from sneaking in at his near post.

There was still time in the half for Stevenson to play Briscoe into space by City's near post but Morrison was out quickly to reduce the angle and keep out the midfielder's effort from near the byline with his legs.

Less than ten minutes into the second period, City made their first change of the evening when Andrew Boote replaced fellow apprentice Nathan Curtis.

The first meaningful effort of the second period came the way of Mansfield when Morrison was forced to tip over a powerful header from Stevenson following a Clements corner.

The danger wasn't quite over for City, however, as the Stags did eventually register their fifth of the night from the resulting set-piece.

Clements was the man to again delivery the corner into the area but this time Morrison was powerless to prevent Jones from sending a thumping header flying into the top corner.

The hosts threatened again from another Clements set-piece just before the hour mark but this time Andy Owens' flicked header flew narrowly wide of Morrison's far post following a free-kick into the area.

Sixty-five minutes were on the clock when City made their second change of the evening as Callum Hepworth replaced Tom Bott.

Seconds later, Hutchinson fired narrowly wide of the far post with a low drive after a half-cleared free-kick had fallen into his path on the edge of City's area.

Substitute Hepworth was involved in the action with around fifteen minutes of the game remaining when he forced a decent save out of Mansfield 'keeper Redmond thanks to a low drive from just outside the area.

City went even closer minutes later after Baker picked up a flighted Erangey cross at the far end of the penalty box before curling a teasing effort against the bar from around twelve yards out.

Despite City showing better signs of attacking intent in the game, Mansfield were the next team to trouble the scorers as they chalked up their sixth of the match.

Wright raced onto a clipped ball over the top to stride clear of City's defensive lines before beating Morrison with a fierce first-time drive into the far bottom corner from within the area.

Although the game was now seemingly well beyond them, City's young side continued to go in search of goals with Hepworth clipping a cross-come-shot just past Redmond's far post before Baker fired a yard or so wide with an angled drive.

Minutes later, Erangey then fired a looping half-volley just over the bar following a cross into the box from City's third substitute of the night Sam Wright.

Four minutes before the end of normal time, however, Mansfield netted their seventh of the fixture when Wright collected a low cross into the area from Briscoe before turning past a couple of City defenders and firing low into the far corner

23. Shane Redmond 1. Stuart Morrison
2. Jake Green 2. Robert Hiza
3. Andy Owens 3. Forrayah Bass
4. Luke Jones 4. Scott Brown
5. Jobe Shaw 5. Carl McHugh
6. Chris Clements 6. Jamie Arundel
7. Louis Briscoe 7. Tom Bott
8. Lee Stevenson 8. Ritchie Jones
9. Nick Wright 10. Nathan Curtis
10. Ben Hutchinson 11. Connor Erangey
22. Soloman Taiwo 17. Adam Baker
Substitutes: Substitutes:
12. Scott Rogers for 22 (59) 12. Sam Wright for 2 (74)
15. Joel Holland 13. Elliott Barker
24. Joe Flint for 8 (74) 14. Callum Hepworth for 7 (65)
25. Kurtis Turner 15. Andrew Boote for 10 (54)
14. Nuha Jabbi for 6 (74)


Jones pleased to reach ninety

City midfielder Ritchie Jones has declared himself pleased to get ninety minutes under his belt at Mansfield Town this Tuesday evening.


Jones made up part the Bantams' reserve eleven that took part in their third Central League fixture of the season at Mansfield's One Call Stadium.

Despite City's ending up on the wrong side of a heavy defeat, Jones' ability to use the games as a chance to work on his match-fitness levels was certainly a positive for Bantams boss Phil Parkinson.

After starting last week's Johnstone's Paint Trophy victory at Hartlepool United, City's Mansfield reserve fixture was only Jones' second match of the 2012/2013 campaign



Latest | October 2012