{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2012

8th October 2012 13:47

3 Oct 2012

Mansfield reserves 1-0 Gateshead reserves
Hutchinson 41.

Liam Mitchell;
Beevers, Jones, Tafazolli, Owens;
Todd, Clements, Trialist, Briscoe;
Green, Hutchinson.
Stevenson for Todd (46)
Rhead for Green (46)
Michael Boateng (trialist) for Jones (54)
(Boateng to RB, Beevers to CH)
Subs not used:
Jake Green, Jobe Shaw, Scott Rogers.


Hutchinson seals victory for reserves
mansfieldtown.net report

Ben Hutchinson's first-half strike proved to enough as Mansfield Town earned a narrow 1-0 victory over Gateshead in a Central (Reserve) League clash at One Call Stadium.


The Stags dominated throughout against their youthful Gateshead counterparts and would have won by a margin of more than one-goal had it not been for a mixture of bad fortune and exceptional goalkeeping.

Andy Todd's second-string began in rampant fashion and created two opportunities in as many minutes early in the game; firstly as Louis Briscoe came close with a powerful drive from the edge of the box, before Luke Jones headed over the woodwork following a corner from Chris Clements.

Nathan Fisher's wayward shot failed to trouble debutant Stags goalkeeper Liam Mitchell at the opposite end, but it was Mansfield who continued to create the better openings in the early stages.

Clements and Green both came close to an opener and when the second-string did have the ball in the back of the net on eight minutes courtesy of Green, the talismanic striker was denied by an offside flag.

James Brown screwed an effort wide of the target midway through the first period after he seized upon a misplaced pass from full-back Andy Owens, and on the half-hour mark Green drove a thunderous effort into the side-netting after some good work from Briscoe.

Less than ten minutes before the interval, Mansfield finally opened the scoring. Todd was tripped midway inside the Gateshead half and from the resulting free-kick, Clements delivered a superb ball towards Hutchinson, who drove his shot through a crowded six-yard box and into the bottom corner.

Matt Rhead and Lee Stevenson replaced Green and Todd respectively ahead of the second period as Mansfield also opted to switch to a more attacking 4-4-3 formation.

Gateshead shot-stopper Jordan Nixon was left untroubled as Clements and Briscoe both fired wide of the target in quick succession, though Mitchell was called into action close to the hour-mark when he expertly denied Fisher from close range.

Mansfield continued to attack with venom as the half progressed and Briscoe drew a fine save from Nixon with a well-struck shot from distance, whilst an un-named trialist also headed against the woodwork as the Stags came close to adding a second goal.

The visitors stepped up their efforts for an equaliser as the game drew towards its conclusion, but lacked any cutting-edge infront of goal and failed to test Mitchell.

With less than four minutes remaining, Briscoe delivered a curling right-footed free-kick which fell fortuitously into the arms of Nixon, but nevertheless Mansfield remained resolute as they held on to record a victory that moves them up to second-place in the Central League.

Mansfield: Mitchell, Beevers, Jones (c) (A.Trialist 55), Tafazolli, Owens, Todd (Stevenson 46), Clements, A.Trialist, Briscoe, Matt Green (Rhead 46), Hutchinson. Subs Not Used: Rogers, Shaw, Jake Green


Hutchinson bags Stags reserves win over Gateshead to go joint top

A SOLITARY first half strike from Ben Hutchinson was enough to give Stags Reserves a 1-0 victory over Gateshead last night at the One Call Stadium, moving them joint top of the Group B Standings in the Central League Cup, writes Craig Priest.


Andy Todd's team put in a dominant attacking performance and controlled the majority of the match against a Gateshead team which featured only four players over the age of 20.

The Stags began in feisty fashion as they registered two chances in the opening two minutes, Louis Briscoe denied by Jordan Nixon before captain Luke Jones hooked into the former Darlington man's hands from a Chris Clements corner.

Nathan failed to trouble Liam Mitchell in the Stags goal on three minutes as his early shot sailed wide before Matt Green saw a goal ruled out for offside on eight minutes following a fine flowing move.

A slip from Andy Owens on 20 minutes saw James Brown bear down on goal, but the former Hartlepool man curled well wide of Mitchell's goal from distance.

Mansfield regained control and saw efforts from the impressive Clements, Hutchinson, Green and Briscoe all go astray before finally getting their reward with four to go before the break after reserve team player-boss Todd was tripped on the left hand side.

Chris Clements stepped up to deliver the resulting deep free kick which Nixon could only tamely punch clear into the path of Hutchinson. Through a crowd of players, the striker remained composed to drive into the bottom corner from 10 yards out and put Mansfield ahead.

The 4-4-2 became 4-3-3 in the second half as Todd and Green departed at the break for Matt Rhead and Lee Stevenson.

Despite early efforts from Clements and Briscoe, it was then the visitors who were looking lively.

James Brown saw a shot trickle wide on 55 minutes before Nathan Fisher was denied by Mitchell, who produced a strong low save on the hour mark.

Moments after, trialist Michael Boateng replaced Luke Jones in defence.

The hosts were mightily unlucky not to add a deserved second on 70 minutes after Lee Stevenson had won a corner.

Clements' initial delivery was headed away, but only as far as Boateng who thundered a shot against the crossbar from 30 yards out.

The visiting defence was static and didn't react as the ball remained in play, Hutchinson rising but failing to hit the target, nodding agonisingly wide.

Five minutes later the visiting Heed stepped up their efforts for a leveller as a drilled pass through the middle of the pitch caught Mansfield at sea, Briscoe came from nowhere to make a divine last ditch challenge before Mitchell and Tafazolli had to be alert to a further three attacks.

With four minutes to go Briscoe stepped up to take a free kick after Lee Stevenson was tripped, but failed to test Nixon with his driven set piece.

Stags Reserves: Liam Mitchell, Lee Beevers, Luke Jones (C) (Michael Boateng 55), Ryan Tafazolli, Andy Owens, Andy Todd (Lee Stevenson ht), Chris Clements, trialist, Louis Briscoe, Matt Green (Matt Rhead ht), Ben Hutchinson. Subs not used: Scott Rogers, Jobe Shaw, Jake Green.

Stags Man of the Match: Chris Clements


Latest | October 2012