{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2011

3rd November 2011 21:31

FA Cup 4th qualifying round replay
Fleetwood Town 5 - 0 Mansfield Town
Brodie 29, Clancy 45+1, Seddon 75, Milligan pen 80, Mangan 90+2
Attendance: 1159 (78 from Mansfield)

Date: 1 November 2011

Text commentary:

The Stags players were late arriving at Fleetwood due to the closure of the M6 at Preston, and had to forego the pre-match meal at a hotel.

One change to the Stags side: Louis Moult for Matt Green who has a virus. Paul Cox has the same virus and will be at home listening to the commentary on StagsPlayer.
Micky Moore will be in charge.
Subs: Thompson (first time for the Stags), Day, Bell, Todd, Somes, Connor.
Redmond also has the virus, so no keeper on the bench.

Micky Moore pre match: The bug has upset the plans. We have other players who have been under the weather with it but hopefully they will soldier on with it.
Our intention is to attack them tonight. We think we sat back a bit too much on Saturday.

Fleetwood bench: Viera, Mangan et al

Sutton, Riley and Futcher also have the virus but are soldiering on. Naylor also has the virus, plus kitman Mez Merriman. John Lomas and Matt Halfpenny of the local rags are also sidelined!

1 Stags win a corner in the first minute. O'Neill's corner evades everyone.
Fleetwood playing 4-2-4
4 Sutton is outpaced by Vardy on the left, and Brodie hit the underside of bar from 12 yards, and Marriott saves the rebound. Stags get out of jail.
5 Moult shoots harmlessly wide from 20 yards.
Sparse crowd.
12 Vardy from 25 yards low shot sails just past Marriott's right post.
13 Marriott saves well from great chance for Brodie, tipping the ball away.
14 Seddon shoots across face of goal and it's deflected for a corner.
14 Marriott saves from Vardy shot from the edge of the box. But the offside flag was up.
22 Marriott denies Fleetwood with a double save. A great save first from Vardy then saves the rebound from Seddon. Marriott keeping us in the game under fierce pressure.
29 1-0 Brodie prods home after shot cleared off line by Bolland.
30 Howell misses a sitter from 5 yards, completely unmarked. Meikle whipped cross in and Howell misses unbelievably.
32 Murray booked for dissent.
34 Brodie cross from the left and Vardy curls a shot over the bar.
Dyer and Moult switch places - Moult to the right and Dyer to the middle.
41 Fleetwood keeper saves on the line from Futcher header from brilliant O'Neill free kick. Good opportunity.
45 Marriott comfortable save from Clancy shot.
45+1 2-0 Clancy. Error from defence, Vardy knicks ball away and Clancy scores.
HT 2-0 Terrible time to concede second goal. It's going to be tough to come back from this.
46 Marriott puts cross behind for a corner. 8 Fleetwood players claim a handball but none given.
Stags playing much better now, without creating chances.
55 Howell casually gives the ball away cheaply, and Brodie picks it up but shoots well wide. Very sloppy.
56 Murray and Bolland give the ball away, Brodie shoots and Marriott saves well, tipping it over the bar.
Stags now 4-4-2 with Howell alongside Dyer up front, and Moult and Meikle on the wings.
62 Brodie breaks the offside trap, and slips a shot inches wide after Marriott did well to make himself large. Brodie has had alot of chances tonight.
62 McGuire is free and unmarked, but it is a poor shot easily saved by Marriott.
Stags giving the ball away too often in dangerous areas.
64 Brodie is through again from yet another mistake, and Brodie shoots tameley wide.
66 Vardy crosses and Brodie misses again.
67 Viera for Brodie. Brodie should have had at least 4 goals. Todd for Meikle.
68 Murray shoots straight at the Fleetwood keeper.
70 ex-Stag Keith Briggs for McGuire
72 Brilliant from Vardy who drifts past the Stags defence, and tries to chip Marriott but it goes wide of the post.
75 3-0 Seddon scores with a fine goal on the break. Very poor from Mansfield.
Without Alan Marriott this could have been a much heavier defeat.
Adam Somes is coming on for his debut.
78 Mangan for Vardy. Somes for Howell.
The Stags have been disappointing all night.
80 4-0 Penalty for Fleetwood. Handball, possibly by Riley. Fleetwood fighting over who to take it. Milligan takes it and scores.
82 Good run from Todd, from the halfway line, and shoots but its blocked. Somes shoots from the rebound and its blocked for a corner.
83 Day for Riley. Day's first appearance of the season.
90+1 Clancy perfect pass for Viera, Viera chips over Marriott and over the bar. Fleetwood have been very wasteful in front of goal.
90+2 Fleetwood goal disallowed. Flag up for offside as Viera puts the ball in the net.
90+2 5-0 Mangan scores.
FT 5-0

The Stags lose 5-0 but it should have been more.

The players are going to have Wednesday and Thursday off in an attempt not to spread the virus further.

This is the first time we have not reached the first round since we joined the league in 1931, having previously won all of our 4th qualifying round ties since we've been in the Conference.


Fleetwood 5-0 Stags

Virus-hit Mansfield Town were sent tumbling out of the FA Cup after five-star Fleetwood put Stags to the sword.

Big spenders Fleetwood could have added to their tally in a game which they controlled from start to finish and will now play League One Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup First Round Proper.

The merciless Cod Army took full advantage of Mansfield's woes which included their being without manager Paul Cox and leading marksman Matt Green through a virus sweeping through Field Mill.

Stags' preperations were dealt a further blow when they had to endure over five hours on the team coach due to traffic, forcing the team to ditch their usual pre-match meal.

Fleetwood showed their intent as early as the fifth miinute when Jamie Vardy, The Fleet's chief architect, sped away on the left before squaring to Richard Brodie who smashed a shot against the underside of the bar.

Brodie was guilty of missing several chances on the night while Stags had Alan Marriott to thank for a string of fine saves to prevent the margin from being greater..

On 13, Brodie got past the defence before being denied by Marriott who turned it around for a corner.

Less than ten minutes later, Vardy glided into the area before Marriott pulled off a double save to keep Fleetwood out.

But he could do little about the home side's breakthrough on 29 minutes when Jamie Milligan's free kick was half cleared, and while Paul Bolland cleared off the line from the first attempt, Brodie slotted home the second to give the hosts the lead.

Stags should have levelled a minute later when Lindon Meikle's excellent cross found the onside Anthony Howell only five yards out, but somehow, he skied it over the bar.

Mansfield had another chance to pull back Fleetwood when Ross Dyer and Louis Moult combined to win a free kick 25 yards from goal. Luke O'Neill's pin point cross found the towering Ben Futcher who was denied by the home goalkeeper.

The Fleet then delivered a killer blow in injury time when Vardy set up Sean Clancy to give the hosts a 2-0 lead before the break.

Stags never recovered, despite a reasonable ten minute spell after the break.

Marriott made another save from Brodie on 56 before the front man shot wide on 62 after beating the offside trap.

Brodie was again presented with another chance two minutes later but struck off target.

Vardy should have scored on 72 minutes when Stags' defence were caught napping but he chipped his effort over the angle.

Gareth Seddon eventually made it 3-0 only three minutes later, latching on to a clearance from defence before slipping it underneath Marriott.

Milligan added to the goalscoring tally after sending Marriott the wrong way from the penalty spot after Martin Riley had handled in the area.

Stags' youth team striker Adam Somes made his debut with the clock ticking down and showed plenty of endeavour, but the outcome of the tie by this point was well beyond Stags' reach.

On 83, Rhys Day made his first appearance of the season before Fleetwood added a fifth goal with the last kick of the contest.

AWith 15 seconds played over the two minutes of time added on, Andy Mangan was in the right place at the right time to latch on to a square ball in the area as Fleetwood booked their place in the FA Cup First Round Proper


Fleetwood Town 5 Mansfield Town 0, FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round replay, Tuesday 1st November
chad.co.uk, Tuesday 1 November 2011

MANSFIELD Town were easily outclassed by a rampant Fleetwood Town side as they crashed out of the FA Cup 5-0 at Highbury Stadium tonight.


Cash-rich Fleetwood showed just why they are one of the BSP promotion favourites as they dominated the entire game to tear struggling Stags apart.

Big-money signing Richard Brodie opened the scoring on 28 minutes after showing a true striker's instinct to be perfectly placed to tap in from close range.

Sean Clancy doubled the home side's lead with another tap in after he had evaded the Mansfield defence just before the break and it was effectively game over.

Gareth Seddon and Jamie Milligan found the back of the net in the second half to further add to Mansfield's misery and secure a home tie against Wycombe Wanderers for the Cod Army, long before Mangan added a fifth goal with the last meaningful touch of the cup replay.

In truth woeful Stags were never in the game and can only count a skied Anthony Howell effort and a tame Ben Futcher header as their only efforts on goal in the entire game.

And it could have been an even heavier defeat for the visitors had it not been for the wasteful finishing of Brodie and Vardy and the heroics of shot-stopper Alan Marriott.

It was a poor performance from Stags, who all too often failed to retain possession in key areas and looked badly exposed at the back.

At the other end Mansfield looked far too lightweight without the presence of Matt Green and will need to boost their attacking options.

It was the first time since the 1927/28 season that Mansfield Town were not in the FA Cup first round.

See this week's Chad, on sale on Wednesday, for a match report

Stags FA Cup replay preparations disrupted

Stags' preparations for the replay were handed a double blow. A sickness virus sweeping Field Mill forced out leading scorer Green, as well as preventing manager Cox and reserve keeper Redmond from making the trip.

The Stags also had to miss out on a pre-match meal after long delays on the M6, which left many fans unable to make kick-off.

Moult replaced Green, the only change from Saturday's draw, with a place on the bench for long-term injury victim Thompson - one of just six substitutes.


Match report: Fleetwood 5 Stags 0
Nottingham Post report

BEFORE kick off, manager Paul Cox had talked about how his Mansfield Town side had been a different animal on the road this season, unbeaten in their last seven matches.


And he said they would have to demonstrate that same mindset if they were to cause an upset in last night's FA Cup fourth qualifying replay at big-spending Fleetwood Town.

In the end, Cox was a victim of the sickness bug that had swept through the club over the weekend, and he did not make the trip.

Nor did star striker Matt Green while a number of others had been ill but still played.

That, coupled with their planned pre-match meal being scrapped for some warmed-up food on the team bus after the M6 was shut in both directions due to a chemical spillage, causing traffic chaos and leading to a five-hour trip for the Stags to the north-west, took its toll.

Mansfield were never at it from the start, failing to find the animal from within as the rampant hosts dominated, coasting to a 5-0 victory through goals from Richard Brodie, Sean Clancy, Gareth Seddon, Jamie Milligan and Andy Mangan.

The truth is, it could have been a far, far heavier defeat if not for the heroics of Stags goalkeeper Alan Marriott.

Despite the problems with illness, there was only one change to the starting line-up from Saturday's draw in the original tie against Fleetwood, with on-loan Louis Moult coming in up front for Green.

In the fourth minute the hosts should have taken the lead. Jamie Vardy burst down the left flank, beating the diving lunge from Luke O'Neill and he squared to Richard Brodie.

With time, the striker took a touch in the centre of the box but his rising effort crashed back off the underside of the bar before Marriott reacted well to keep out the follow-up shot from Vardy.

Then, in the middle of the Stags half, the ever-dangerous Vardy turned and burst forward before driving a 20-yard shot wide.

Seconds later, Brodie too easily got beyond a jaded Stags defence and into the box but from close range, Marriott denied the striker with his outstretched arm at the near post.

Gareth Seddon saw a deflected shot go wide from inside the box and when the resulting corner was only half-cleared, Vardy hit a stinging half-volley from outside the area, which Marriott saved.

Marriott pulled off a superb double save to keep the Stags on level terms.

Martin Riley hesitated in dealing with the long ball forward and Vardy capitalised, bursting through on goal but Marriott beat away his shot before denying Seddon on the rebound with his outstretched leg.

Finally, the pressure told when Fleetwood went in front in the 29th minute.

It came after Paul Bolland blocked a shot on the line, when a free kick had been swung into the area but when it dropped to Brodie, he made no mistake as he instantly fired into the back of the net.

Straight away, out of nothing, Stags had their first chance when a cross from wide on the left fell to Anthony Howell at the back post but he lifted it over the bar.

At the other end, a ball was rolled inside for Vardy to strike but he swept a left-footed effort over the bar.

Four minutes before the break, however, Stags could have been level. O'Neill swung in a free kick from the right and defender Ben Futcher met it at the back post but Scott Davies turned away the downward header at his near post.

In first-half stoppage time, Clancy added a second for Fletwood when he clinically finished off a low cut-back from the right.

Stags came out for the second half with a massive job on their hands if they were to overhaul the hosts to set up a first round tie with League One Wycombe.

Ten minutes into the second half, Howell gave a ball away but Brodie failed to punish him, firing over.

And a minute later more sloppy play in midfield gifted Brodie another chance, but again Marriott rescued Mansfield with a one-handed save.

The visitors were all at sea and the unmarked Jamie McGuire was teed up on the left of the box, but Marriott got down to save to his right before Futcher gave the ball away, leading to Brodie going free but again Marriott denied him.

Vardy then managed to find a way through three Stags defenders on the edge of the area before seeing his deft chip go just wide of the far post.

Seddon then broke, fed Vardy's diagonal run but his shot was straight at Marriott.

On 75 minutes, it was 3-0. Seddon burst down the right and Magno Vieira picked him out and after he raced clear into the box, he made no mistake with his finish.

Five minutes later, Riley handled in the box from a corner to gift Fleetwood a penalty and Milligan confidently finished from the spot.

In stoppage time, Mangan slotted home from close range as Fleetwood finished how they started – in total control.

Fleetwood: Davies, Beeley, Goodall, McNulty, Pond, Clancy, Milligan, McGuire (Briggs, 71), Brodie (Vieira, 68), Seddon, Vardy (Mangan, 78). Subs: St Louis Hamilton, Cox, Cavanagh, Brown

Mansfield: Marriott, Sutton, O'Neill, Riley (Day, 83), Futcher, Dyer, Murray, Bolland, Howell (Somes, 78), Meikle (Todd, 68), Moult. Subs: Thompson, Connor, Bell

Referee: Sebastian Stocksbridge (Gateshead)

Attendance: 1,159


Five star Town through in FA Cup
by David Mitchell
Fleetwood Town 5 Mansfield Town 0

Fleetwood's best display of the season to date secured a mouth-watering home tie against League One Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup first round on Saturday week.

Town put five past the Stags for the second season running and the victory margin would have been even more convincing but for the heroics of Alan Marriott in the Mansfield goal.

Jamie Milligan, whose goal at Field Mill on Saturday paved the way for last night's fourth qualifying round replay, was on target again from the penalty spot on night which produced five different scorers.

Both managers made one change from Saturday's game. Sean Clancy replaced Andy Mangan for Town, while Louis Moult stepped up from the bench to replace the Stags' unavailable leading scorer Matt Green.

Town could have struck early. amie Vardy skipped past Richie Sutton down the left touchline before crossing to Richard Brodie, who turned and rattled his shot against the crossbar.

Milligan's follow-up attempt was blocked and the Mansfield supporters, depleted by motorway problems, breathed again.

Town applied all the early pressure, with Vardy showing his fleetness of foot on both sides of the pitch and Brodie running hard at the Mansfield defence.

A 12th-minute shot from distance by Vardy went narrowly wide and, two minutes later, Brodie cut in from the left and saw his close range effort deflected for a corner.

It was Vardy's turn again just before the quarter-hour mark, a fierce right-foot shot from outside the area gratefully collected by Marriott after an initial fumble.

The Stags, beaten only once on the road this season, were under sustained pressure and only the heroics of Marriott kept them in the tie as he denied both Vardy and Seddon in the 21st minute with excellent saves.

Town's pressure finally got its just reward in the 28th minute. Milligan curled a free kick into the Mansfield area and the ball fell to Brodie, who scored his fifth of the season from close range.

A rare lack of concentration by Town following the restart saw Anthony Howell left unmarked at the back post but the midfielder was unable to exploit the situation, leaving Town keeper Scott Davies kicking his post with frustration.

Mansfield skipper Adam Murray became the referee's first booking of the evening after a challenge on Clancy near the halfway line.

Davies impressed with a fine reflex save at the back post as the imposing figure of Ben Futcher climbed to meet a free kick five minutes before the break.

Clancy had a right-foot shot easily saved as the teams entered added time but there was still time for the recalled attacker to get on the scoresheet before the break.

Vardy exposed hesitancy by Martin Riley on the left side of the Stags defence and crossed for Clancy to finish crisply with his preferred left foot and give Town a two-goal cushion which was certainly no more than their first-half dominance deserved.

Town attacked from the kick-off, Brodie claiming a penalty for handball with the clock barely ticking!

The striker was handed an opportunity to score his second after 55 minutes, when he ran on to a pass from Milligan, but his shot was deflected on to the top of the netting by Marriott.

Another opportunity just after the hour saw Brodie fire wide of the far post from a narrow angle.

Vardy was seeing more of the ball after a quiet opening to the half, with a sense of anticipation from the Cod Army accompanying his every mazy run at the defence. The Stags were unable to get a foothold in the game as Town continued to dominate possession.

The tireless Brodie left the field to generous applause after 67 minutes, no doubt wondering how he did not score a hat-trick.

He was replaced by Magno Vieira and soon afterwards Keith Briggs returned following a six-match injury absence to take the place of McGuire, who had gone down with cramp.

Vardy toyed with the Stags defence soon after, slipping through the tiniest of gaps to attempt a nonchalant chip off his left foot.

Town sealed the tie soon with 15 minutes remaining, when Vieira supplied Seddon and he burst in from the right to place a shot under Marriott for his fifth goal of the season.

The Mansfield defence was finally freed of the threat of Vardy when he left to a standing ovation, replaced by Mangan. Their misery continued, however, when Town were awarded a 79th-minute penalty for handball and Milligan duly beat the valiant Marriott.

The result will not have helped Paul Cox's state of health – the Mansfield manager had been unable to make the journey due to illness as the Stages failed to reach the first round for the first time since 1927.

The tie ended, appropriately, with a last-second goal from Mangan, which sent the Cod Army in the 1,159 crowd home happy and full of hope for Saturday's crunch clash at Luton in the league.

Fleetwood: Davies, Beeley, McNulty (c), Pond, Goodall, McGuire (Briggs), Milligan, Clancy, Brodie (Vieira), Seddon, Vardy (Mangan); not used: St Louis Hamilton, Cox, Cavanagh, S Brown; Att: 1,159



Latest | November 2011