{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2002

11th October 2002 8:57

Magnificent Stags turned in a fabulous second half display to score 6 goals and destroy Tranmere Rovers. Stags missed a chance for a 7th when Christie missed a late penalty

Mansfield Town 6 - 1 Tranmere Rovers

Mackenzie 46, Sellars 52, Lawrence 61, Christie 69, 78, Larkin 75. Christie missed pen 83.
Hay 13

Sent off: Simon Haworth (66)

29 Arjan Van Heusden
12 Jamie Clarke
25 Mark Lever
5 Neil Moore
27 Damien Delaney
10 Craig Disley
7 Liam Lawrence
4 Neil MacKenzie
20 Scott Sellars
22 Iyseden Christie
21 Colin Larkin
Corden (for Sellars, 64 mins)
Holyoak (for Lever, 89)
PClarke (for Disley, 90)
Not used: JWhite, AWhite.
Referee: BCurson
Match Statistics (Stags/Tranmere)
15 Goal Attempts 12
10 On target 5
5 Off target 7
0 Woodwork 0
4 Corners 5
10 Fouls 11
0 Offside 0
Report from footymad.net:
The club with the worst home record in the Second Division at last got it right at Field Mill - thumping Rovers, the club with the worst away record in the Division, in an amazing second half transformation.
Mansfield had waited 429 minutes for a goal at home, but when Neil Mackenzie thumped in a 20 yard piledriver to cancel out Alex Hay's 13th minute breakthrough for Rovers the floodgates opened.
Six goals in 32 second half minutes sent Rovers sliding to their second 6-1 defeat in four days, their fifth successive away defeat, and ended Mansfield's grim run of five successive home defeats.
Veteran Scott Sellars struck the vital second goal in the 52nd minute just six minutes after Mackenzie's equaliser, touching in Mackenzie's deep cross at the far post.
Liam Lawrence rounded keeper Phil Whitehead to role in the killer third goal in the 61st minute before Iyseden Christie added a fourth in the 69th minute.
Colin Larkin's dipping 25-yard drive six minutes later was followed within two minutes by Christie's second, a fortunate deflection off Larkin's close-range shot.
It could have been worse for Rovers when Christian Edwards pulled down Christie inside the area six minutes from time, but the striker squandered the chance of a hat trick when he rolled the resulting penalty wide.
Rovers, who were reduced to ten men in the 67th minute when Simon Howarth lashed out at Craig Disley, had ironically totally dominated the first half.
Their early pressure was rewarded when Howarth headed down Mickey Mellon's corner for Hay to bundle in his first goal for the club .
Mansfield never threatened a first half equaliser and Hay should have completed a first half hat-trick when his close range finishwas scrambled off the line by Lawrence and then his glancing header brushed the woodwork.
Andy Parkinson also saw his fierce close-range drive somehow beaten away by the acrobatic Arjarn van Heusden six minutes before half time and Rovers were made to pay for missing those chances
Report from Ananova & Teamtalk:
Six-goal Stags thrash Tranmere
Mansfield went goal crazy in the second half to lift themselves off the bottom of the table with a 6-1 demolition of Tranmere at Field Mill.
The pressure on Mansfield manager Stuart Watkiss looked to be mounting still further when Alex Hay shot Tranmere in front with a close-range finish early in the first half.
But a lethal strike from Neil MacKenzie levelled the scores immediately after half-time and the goal opened the floodgates as Scott Sellars and Liam Lawrence made it 3-0.
Ray Mathias' side then folded completely following Simon Haworth's dismissal for lashing out at Craig Disley and Iyseden Christie added the fourth before Colin Larkin and another from Christie, who also missed a penalty, completed the rout.
Posted by Martin Shaw


Latest | October 2002