{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2002

15th September 2002 9:44


Les Pogliacomi, Matty Appleby, Darren Sheridan and John Eyre all returned to the starting line-up for this match against Mansfield Town but Chris Killen failed to recover from the hamstring strain he picked up in midweek and was replaced by Carlo Corazzin.

Clyde Wijnhard, in an interview in the matchday programme said he would score goals and he made good on that promise with a first half hat-trick followed by a 4th early in the 2nd half.

Corazzin was rewarded for his contribution to Athletic's performance as he headed home Athletic's 5th goal from an Eyres freekick before Wayne Andrews on as a substitute added the 6th from the penalty spot after he had been brought down by Delaney.

Iain Dowie's side showed their intentions early when they won a freekick just 3 minutes in following a foul on Clyde Wijnhard in a dangerous position but Eyres fired his effort over the bar.

Darren Sheridan played a good ball out to Low a couple of minutes later and the Latics right winger sent over a good cross which was cleared, seconds later Latics pressure saw the ball bounce off Corazzin and behind.

Wijnhard showed that he meant business with a turn and shot on the edge of the area but his shot went well over, he made no mistake seconds later however as he opened the scoring.

On 10 minutes, a mistake by Mansfield in midfield saw the ball fall into Josh Low's path and he advanced before firing over a cross which Wijnhard bundled in with his chest for the opening goal.

Latics continued to pressurise the Stags defence and Fitz Hall who had earlier brought the ball forward with a strong run stayed forward and when Wijnhard laid the ball off it was Hall who shot but his firm drive went over the bar.

Mansfield got their equaliser with around 18 minutes gone, when they were awarded a freekick in the D on the edge of the Latics area following a handball by Eyre. Stags midfielder Wayne Corden stepped up and curled a fine effort over the wall and into the back of the net.

Mansfield won another freekick a couple of minutes later following an Appleby foul but Delaney fired over left footed and a minute later Christie headed wide from a corner after Hill had headed behind.

On 23 minutes, Corazzin won a corner, Eyres ball in was flicked on at the near post and Wijnhard headed goalwards, the ball was blocked on the goalline by Mansfield's Lawrence, the referee waved play on but the assistant on the near side had spotted something and raised his flag. When play was eventually stopped, the referee spoke to his assistant and a penalty was awarded.

When the spot kick was eventually taken on 25 minutes, Clyde Wijnhard stepped up and made no mistake to fire past Pilkington for his 2nd goal of the afternoon.

Latics were awarded a freekick a couple of minutes later following a foul on Wijnhard but Eyres ball in was cleared by Disley.

Mansfield then won a freekick of their own following a late Eyre challenge, Corden's ball forward was punched out by Pogliacomi but MacKenzie hit his return way over Pogliacomi's crossbar.

On the half hour, Latics won a freekick after Delaney fouled Corazzin, but Mansfield cleared.

A good Latics move, involving Eyres, Appleby and Wijnhard saw Appleby make a strong run into the Mansfield area before being halted with a last ditch challenge.

On 33 minutes, Liam Lawrence did well to cross for Christie but the striker was stretching and put his shot wide.

With 10 minutes of the first half still remaining, John Eyre shot wide. From the goalkick, a mistake by the Mansfield defence allowed Appleby to pick the ball up before feeding Wijnhard who fired past Pilkington for his hat-trick.

Mansfield won a corner off Appleby but it was no threat to Athletic as Pogliacomi was able to claim unchallenged.

Latics started the 2nd half the way they had finished the 1st when Eyres and Wijnhard combined to win a corner. Eyres ball in was met by Fitz Hall but he put his header just over the bar.

A few minutes later, Josh Low and John Eyre combined, Eyre's cross was put behind for a corner which Stags keeper Pilkington punched out for another corner. Appleby's low ball in was headed out to Sheridan, his shot was miscued but went towards Wijnhard who headed over.

Latics continued to go forward at will and from a break forward, Wijnhard played the ball across to Eyres who curled an effort just over the bar.

Mansfield again wasted another corner, playing it too close to Pogliacomi who again claimed easily.

Latics then won a corner of their own as Appleby looked to play in Wijnhard. Eyres whipped ball in was cleared, Latics got the ball back and Wijnhard was able to get in a header from an Eyres cross which Pilkington saved.

Mansfield wasted a couple of corners before Les Pogliacomi was forced to make a good save to deny Disley following a quick Mansfield freekick.

Josh Low went close but his lob was off target with Pilkington way off his line following a long ball forward before Athletic scored again.

David Eyres played in Corazzin down the left, the Canadian striker steadied himself before crossing to the back post where Wijnhard rose unchallenged to head home his and Athletic's 4th of the afternoon.

With 20 minutes to go, Mansfield won a freekick following a challenge by Darren Sheridan 30 yards out in a central position but Wayne Corden's effort went just wide.

Latics then made a couple of substiutions bringing Andrews on for Wijnhard and Carss on for Appleby.

Mansfield made a substitution of their own, bringing Sellars on for Corden there was then a delay following an injury to Stags captain Williamson before Latics brought Lee Duxbury on for Josh Low and Mansfield brought Glover on for Williamson.

With just over 10 minutes to go, Latics were awarded a freekick in midfield following a foul, Neil MacKenzie was booked for dissent and the freekick was moved forward. Eyres took the kick and his accurate cross was headed home inside the area by Corazzin who was delighted to get his 1st goal of the season.

Latics were awarded a 2nd penalty on 83 minutes as Wayne Andrews was hauled down by Delaney. Andrews was given the opportunity to take the spot kcik and he made no mistake to make it 6-1 to Athletic and grab his 1st goal for Athletic.

Oldham Athletic 6 Mansfield Town 1 (report actually says nil!!)
Manchester Evening News

NEW-boy Clyde Wijnhard told Oldham fans they hadn't seen the best of him - well, they have now.

The 28 year old Dutchman hit four goals for the first time in his career to sink lowly Mansfield.

And he insisted "There are still more to come"

The Latics first teased the visitors, then tormented them as they went goal crazy.

Former Leeds United star Wijnhard, who arrived at Boundary Park last month as a free agent, led the scoring blitz with a 36 minute hat-trick.

He has now hit the target six times in as many league and cup games and boss Iain Dowie looks to have signed gold-dust.

The Stags defence could do little as the ex-Ajax player tore them apart with the deadliest piece of finishing home supporters had seen so far this season.

Goal No. 1 came after 10 minutes.

Josh Low broke down the right and sent over a superb cross to the far post and Wijnhard cheekily chested the ball into the net.

Goal No. 2 came in the 25th minute via the penalty spot.

Veteran David Eyres floated over one of his tantilising corners and Wijnhard's header was handled on the line by a Mansfield defender.

He made no mistake with a well drilled spot kick.

Goal No. 3 arrived on 36 minutes.

Skipper Matty Appleby, showing his best form to date, picked out Wijnhard in the box and the big man picked his spot with a firm right foot shot.

Goal No. 4 came 20 minutes before the end.

The lively Eyres sent Carlo Corazzin racing away.

The Canadian International had time to look up and his superb cross went straight to the waiting Wijnhard at the far stick and he rose comfortably to head home.

The four goal hero was withdrawn a few minutes later, but it still didn't stop Oldham's scoring spree in a dazzling display of attacking football.

Eyres was again the provider when his free kick was headed in by Corazzin after 80 minutes, eight yards out.

Four minutes later the Latic's hit the magic sixth.

Substitute Wayne Andrews moved swiftly into the box and was clumsily brought down by a well out-paced defender.

He recovered to score the home-side's second penalty.

Mansfield who are finding life tough after being promoted last season had to settle for a 19th minute consolation effort with a well-struck free kick from Wayne Corden on yet another miserable afternoon.

Delighted Latics boss Iain Dowie said "It is difficult for anyone to live with us when we play like that."

Clyde Wijnhard interview:

Iain Dowie interview:


Latest | September 2002