{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2006

25th February 2006 23:23

Torquay United 0 - 2 Mansfield Town
Reet 11, Brown 83
Attendance: 2494 (247 from Mansfield)
Listen to the goals commentary here from Mansfield 103.2 & Stagsworld :
Reet goal
Brown goal
Martin Shaw and Svante Bernhard at Plainmoor

Mansfield Town pulled off a vital win at Torquay United this afternoon to pull themselves a little further clear of relegation. The Stags certainly deserved all three points and were indebted to goals from Danny Reet, early in the game, and substitute Simon Brown, late in the game.

Report from official Torquay site:
Match Report
Torquay United: A Marriott, A Lloyd, S Woods, M Villis, J Sharp, T Bedeau, M Hewlett (53 K Hill) , D Garner, J Kuffour, P Robinson, A Connell (53 L Afful)
Subs: C Taylor, L Afful, M Hockley, K Hill, L Coleman

Mansfield Town: Pressman, Buxton, Hjelde, Baptiste, Wilson, Uhlenbeek, D'Laryea, Dawson, Rundle, Barker, Reet (61 Brown)
Subs: White, Lloyd, Brown, Jacobs, Arnold

IN-form Mansfield Town continued their unbeaten February run at the expense of United.

Town scored a scrappy opening 10th minute goal to lead an equally scrappy first half, not assisted by a swirling wind around Plainmoor or the soft-under-foot conditions.

United conceded a free kick on the right, in front of the Family Stand, and the Stags prospered as Gus Uhlenbeek slipped the ball into the penalty area for Adam Rundle to send an angled drive across goal.
Andy Marriott went down for the ball, a couple of defenders got in there as well but somehow Mansfield striker Danny Reet managed to scramble the ball into the back of the net and make it 1-0.

A sign of just how strong the wind was blowing in Mansfield's favour came when veteran keeper Kevin Pressman forced Marriott to field a goal kick clearance just under the cross bar.

Jo Kuffour did his best to make in-roads into a solid Town defence but half time arrived with Mansfield still one-up.

John Cornforth did his best to gee-up the Gulls with the introduction of Les Afful down the right wing and Kevin Hill - who had not trained for two days because of a knee injury - in midfield.

The switch seemed to have the desired effect as United rained shots in on Pressman's goal.

Tony Bedeau volleyed at goal, strike partner Paul Robinson clipped another effort just over the bar and then came the turning point of the game.
Darren Garner's floated free kick was met by a powerful Matt Villis header that thumped off the bar.
If that had gone in, who knows what might have happened next?

As it was Robinson and Garner both dipped shots just over the bar from range and Afful also powered a drive just off target as United - assisted by the breeze - began to pile on the pressure.

Robinson sent another effort just over and just as it seemed United would get the breakthrough, they were floored on the counter when Mansfield's speedy sub Simon Brown raced away to tuck away an 83rd minute goal to make it 2-0 and put the game beyond United's reach.



Latest | February 2006