{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2005

11th December 2005 23:27


IFA League
Leicester City 2 (FTYBR) Mansfield Town 3
(Tyldsley 21, Stokes 77, Hoult 80)

Attendance – 19.

Stags supporters side, FTYBR turned in an all-star performance at Leicester City on Saturday morning to win their first away game of the season. And it turned out to be a day of double delight with The Stags vital win at Rushden & Diamonds.
On a boggy pitch deep in the heart of the City of Leicester FTYBR suffered an early setback when striker, Phil Waddington had to leave the field injured after just five minutes. It immediately put pay to Manager, Steve Hartshorn's festive Christmas tree formation and meant a return to a more formal 4-4-2.
Both sides struggled to play effective football on a pitch more suitable to all in mud wrestling than the greatest game on earth, but gradually the Mansfield side began to find their feet and although not testing the home keeper too regularly, did at least have the higher percentage of possession.
That possession was rewarded on 21 minutes when Conor Tyldsley let fly and spun away in delight when his 15 yard lob looped over the home keeper and nestled neatly into the back of the net.
The joy was short lived however when the Leicester City number 12, who was to cause problems all game raced clear of the defence, leaving James Brunt little option but to bring him down as he homed in on goal. Despite a brave effort by Nick Sankey, the resulting penalty was put away. 1-1.
The start of the 2nd half saw the Mansfield side dominate but against the run of play, the Leicester side took the lead. It has to be said that it was a goal of real quality, so good in fact that many of the Leicester City players failed to realise they had scored due to the acute angle of the finish.
Heads though didn't drop as the Mansfield side pushed hard for an equaliser whilst at the back Wayne Sharpe, James Brunt, Ady Coupe and Jamie Wheatman all held firm and stopped any breakaway play from City.
The richly deserved equaliser came on 77 minutes when from 25 yards, Drew Stokes hammered in a screamer into the keepers top right hand corner. It was Drew's 2nd goal in two games and surely a candidate for goal of the season.
It was all Mansfield now as Leicester began to feel the pressure of the speedy front running Gary Bird and the close skill of FTYBR all-time goalscorer, Ian Hoult. In fact it was Hoult who was to score his 3rd goal of the season on 80 minutes when he finished well from close range.
Leicester though didn't let their heads drop and came in search of an equaliser and with five minutes to go they had a perfect opportunity when Wayne Sharpe's last ditch tackle on the dangerous City number 12 resulted in the awarding of another penalty for the home side. This time though Man of the match, Nick Sankey pulled of a superb save, diving to his left to tip the ball around the post for a corner.
The last few minutes ticked by quite slow as City desperately searched for a way back into the game, whereas the Stags side held firm and defended with ease.
Manager, Steve Hartshorn was delighted,
“To come back from 2-1 down was superb and in truth we could have won by more, but I am well satisfied with the 3-2 away win. Not one player had a bad game, but there were four who I thought were outstanding, James Brunt, Ady Coupe, Gary Bird and Nick Sankey were just ahead of the others, but I could praise them all really. They played for the shirt and did Mansfield proud. Little Mansfield Town against the mighty Leicester City. The result should move us up to mid-table in the IFA league and will make a few other teams sit up and take notice.”
Talking of the goal by Drew Stokes, Steve had this to say,
“Drew's strike would not have been saved by any goalkeeper in the world. What with Drew's goal and Giles Coke's goal for The Stags in the afternoon, I witnessed two goals of real quality.”
Next week there should be a home game against Peterborough United (awaiting confirmation) Abbott Road 11 am kick off. Please come along and support the lads.

Sankey, Coupe, Wheatman, Brunt, Sharpe (Cpt), Scothron, Bird J, Hoult, Waddington, Bird G, Tyldsley, Holmes.

Man of the Match – Nick Sankey (pictured)

– Made a brilliant stop in the first half, coupled with a confident display and topped off with a superb penalty save five minutes from the end.


Latest | December 2005