{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2005

13th November 2005 23:24

Mansfield 0 - 3 Bury
Reet 6, 75, Whaley 10

Att 4147 (216 from Bury)
Observer report by Steve Hartshorn


Mansfield Town 0 Bury 3
Reet 6, 75, Whaley 9

The Stags came crashing back down to earth with a 3-0 defeat against Bury at Field Mill last weekend. Two goals in the opening nine minutes and a further goal on 75 gave the visitors a comfortable sounding victory, although on chances created, it was far from it.
The Stags though got off to the worst possible start on what was Peter Shirtliff's first home game since he was appointed manager. The side, which included two forced changes looked lack-lusted whereas the visitors where ready from the off. It came as no surprise when on 6 minutes, Bury scored. A right sided cross from Adams going into the six yard box where on loan Owls striker, Danny Reet reacted first to head the ball into the net despite a despairing dive from Pressman.
After the recent run of good form at home, their still seemed an atmosphere of invincibility in the minds of the players and supporters but that emotion was sent crashing when just three minutes later, the visitors added a second, Whaley cutting in from the left and from 20 yards unleashing a powerful shot that flew across Pressman into the net. Whilst Whaley and the Bury players wheeled away in obvious delight and the travelling 216 embraced each other deliriously, there was silenced horror from the Field Mill faithful.
Stags looked to bounce straight back but Birchall was denied by Neil Edwards in The Shakers goal.
Bury almost added a third on 16 minutes but after being played the ball by Whaley, Mattis hit his effort wide of the mark.
Simon Brown was again causing a threat to the opposition defence with his pace and ability, although he will want to forget his snapped effort that almost flew out for a throw in.
Stags were dominant but the visitors were holding firm whilst looking to cause trouble on the break. It looked only a matter of time before Mansfield pulled a goal back and gave themselves a lifeline in the game.
That goal looked to have arrived on the stroke of half time, but after Edwards had fumbled Buxton's pump forward, Richie Barker was denied by a late and desperate goal-line clearance from Woodthorpe.
Stags began the 2nd period still dominant and searching for a goal that would have been justified. A nice touch from Barker setting up Coke but the young Stags midfielder lofted his effort over the bar.
Chances were coming thick and fast for Mansfield, Rundle being denied by a diving save from Edwards and Woodthorpe again coming to The Shakers rescue blocking a powerful shot from Barker after Edwards had spilt a drive from Coke.
Talbot was forced to leave the field injured and was replaced by Gavin Peers, who's first touch of the ball sent it well high and wide from 35 yards. Barker then went close heading just wide from a cross by Rundle as the night began to get increasingly frustrating for Mansfield.
Simon Brown hobbled off and was replaced by Littlejohn on 70 minutes.
The Referee, Scott Mathieson caused disbelief on 72 minutes when he gave nothing for a blatant foul on Richie Barker. Barker had been fed the ball in the box by Birchall, and after beating Kennedy was clearly clipped by the defender but the Referee waved away the protests. It was obviously not going to be Mansfield's night.
Slack play by The Stags resulted in a 3rd for Bury on 76 minutes as Reet from the edge of the area, looked up and brilliantly put the ball into the top right hand corner of the North Stand net. That goal finally ended any hope of a comeback as heads at last began to drop. For Reet it capped a perfect full team debut on the start of his loan period from Sheffield Wednesday. He had been chosen ahead of former Stag, Mattie Tipton and had rewarded Casper's choice by two fine goals.
Tipton though did replaced Reet on 77 minutes and the striker who had walked out on Field Mill earlier on in the season was treated to a round of boo's on his appearance and every touch of the ball afterwards.
Stags last real chance of the night came when Rundle danced his way past two challenges to set up Richie Barker but Edwards was at his best to deny him.
The game stats clearly indicate that Stags created enough with 21 attempts on goal compared to the visitors 9 but the painful truth is that whereas The Stags drew a blank, Bury scored with three making it a frustrating night at Field Mill.
This weekend Stags travel to mid-tabled side, Shrewsbury Town. Any supporters wishing to travel on the SSA coach can get in contact via 07967 689597 or by enquiring at travel@stagsnet.net. No doubts Peter Shirtliff and his Stags side will be eager to bounce straight back and make it three away wins on the trot.

Mansfield Town
Pressman, John-Baptiste, Barker, Birchall, Buxton, Talbot (Peers 62), Coke, Rundle, Brown (Littlejohn 78), Hjelde, D'Laryea,
Subs not used; Day, Dawson, White.

Edwards, Scott, Challinor, Mattis, Buchanan, Whaley (Quigley 89), Adams, Flitcroft (Youngs 57), Kennedy, Reet (Tipton 78), Woodthorpe.
Subs not used; Dootson, Fitzgerald.

Referee; Mr S W Mathieson (Cheshire)

Attendance – 4147 Visitors 216.

Observer Man of the match – Giles Coke.
CHAD report:
Home shocker for Stags
BURY romped to a flattering 3-0 win as Mansfield Town's recent improved results shuddered to an abrupt halt at Field Mill tonight.
The whole match proved an uphill struggle after the home side were rocked by two Bury goals inside the opening nine minutes.
After getting over that shock, Stags went on to dominate the game and Richie Barker might have had a hat-trick on the day his daughter was born.
But he had one effort cleared off the line, another shot well saved and appeared to be blatantly brought down by Tom Kennedy for a penalty that referee Scott Mathieson refused to give.
Over the 90 minutes Mansfield were the better side. But those early goals proved too big a hurdle to overcome.
Stags made two change with Birchall in for the suspended Uhlenbeek and on-loan D'Laryea replacing Dawson after missing last week's FA Cup match to avoid becoming cup-tied.
Talbot was lucky not to be booked in only the second minute for chopping down Adams. But Kennedy wasted the free kick from the right, lofting it over everyone to safety.
A short backpass by Talbot then left Stags in trouble. John-Baptiste robbed the advancing Beet to concede a corner which was cleared at the second attempt to Flitcroft who volleyed well over from 25 yards.
Mattis reached a loose ball to stab a shot that took a deflection wide for a second corner That was cleared to Adams on the right who put in a good cross towards the edge of the six yard box where Reet headed high into the top right hand corner and give the visitors a sixth minute lead.
Three minutes later things got even worse for Mansfield. Whaley cut inside from the left and let fly with a vicious shot from 20 yards that flew across Pressman and just inside the far post.
Stunned Stags looked for a quick reply and Birchall attacked the Bury box on the right, running strongly at goal before forcing Edwards to spread himself for the save at his near post.
Reet tried his luck from a full 30 yards soon after and Pressman had to make a save.
And it was Birchall who again tested Edwards with a snapshot after the grounded Brown had managed to roll a loose ball in his path.
This was a very open game and Bury came close once more on 16 minutes as Whaley found space to square a pass to Mattis 12 yards from goal and Pressman was relieved when he sidefooted a finish straight to him.
Brown thought he had slipped Barker through with a clever pass but was thwarted by an offside flag.
Scott found himself in trouble when surrounded by Barker and Brown. Brown robbed him of the ball but sliced his shot so wide it almost went for a throw-in.
Rundle's ball over the top then gave Brown only to se him blast over as Kennedy came in with a last ditch challenge.
Reet had been luck to escape a booking for delaying the game by throwing the ball away at a Stags free kick. So when Adams did the same soon after the card was finally produced.
Stags by now were settling down and starting to dominate possession, having overcome the shock of that early two-goal salvo. But there was still much hard work to do.
The home side were almost gifted a goal back in the final minute of the first half. Buxton pumped the ball forward and it looked an easy take for the keeper.
But Edwards spilled it and when Barker managed to guide the loose ball on target, Woodthorpe was there to save the day with a goal line clearance.
Barker's skill sent Rundle on an early run after the break. But, having burst into the box, he overhit his cross.
Brown then fed Barker who held up the ball. Coke, running through, took it from him and, with the keeper off his line, tried the lob but was too high.
More Mansfield pressure ended with Edwards diving to his right to save from Rundle.
Woodthorpe got a good block onto a powerful low finish by Barker and then had to clear after Edwards failed to hold onto Coke's low 16 yard shot.
There was a moment's worry for Mansfield as Youngs, just on as sub for Flitcroft, won the ball from Buxton and tried to cue up Reet who finished wide.
Then poor control by Birchill saw Kennedy snatch possession and rifle one inches wide.
Peers came on for the injured Talbot, Buxton switching to left back, and had a pot at goal with his first touch within seconds but was well off target from 35 yards.
A spot of head tennis in the box then saw Edwards clutch the ball above his head as Brown tried to nod over him.
Another half-chance came Mansfield's way as Barker headed tamely wide at the far post from Rundle's long cross.
Stags suffered another blow when Brown hobbled off to be replaced by Littlejohn for the last 19 minutes.
Referee Scott Mathieson missed one of the most blatant penalties ever seen at Field Mill on 72 minutes. Birchall's through ball found Barker in the box. He cut inside Kennedy who brought him down but nothing was given.
Soon after a Buxton blast hit Hjelde as the home fans continued to berate Mr Mathieson.
And Bury finally secured the points on 76 minutes when Reet looked up from the edge of the box and picked out the top right hand corner of the net.
It really wasn't Mansfield's night and when Rundle beat two on the left and laid the ball across the box for Barker the striker forced a great save out of Edwards.
Former Stags Tipton, who walked out on the club earlier in the season, drew boos from the home fans as he replaced Reet on 78.
But he made no impact as the game petered disappointingly out.

Bury Official Site Report:

Mansfield Town 0 Bury 3

Chris Casper made two changes to the team by bringing Neil Edwards back from suspension and dropping Matthew Tipton to the bench, replacing him with loanee Danny Reet for his first full league game.
Bury showed hosts Mansfield their intentions from the very first minute with a series of blistering raids on their defence, on three minutes, Simon Whaley flicked a good ball to the feet of Danny Reet, his run with the ball finished with Bury winning the corner, from Kennedy's delivery, the ball was cleared to Flitcroft who hit the ball back full on the volley, flickers aim though was well off target as the ball hit row Z in the half empty stand behind the goal.

Bury won another corner on five minutes when another Whaley flick to Dwayne Mattis took a touch of a defender, Whaley's delivery was again cleared by the home defence, but not very far as Nicky Adams scampered over to the touchline, his ball into the box fell superbly onto the head of Danny Reet who glanced a fine header into the back of the Mansfield goal.

Within three minutes, the Shakers had doubled their lead when Nicky Adams again played a superb ball for Simon Whaley to chase down the flank, he took one touch and cut inside the defender before advancing to the edge of the Mansfield box, before unleashing a low drive that deceived Kevin Pressman with a slight deflection of one of his own defenders to make it two, and Whaley's fifth of the season.

Mansfield briefly stepped up a gear straight from the re-start which saw Adam Rundle snap a shot of on goal, though his effort was meat and drink for Neil Edwards who easily collected the ball. Three minutes later and it was Adam Birchall that this time produced a better save from the Shakers shot stopper.
Simon Whaley caused all sorts of problems for the home defence, and a little cut back form the touch line on 15 minutes saw Dwayne Mattis get a shot on target that was easily dealt with by Pressman.
Nicky Adams had a half chance on the half hour, a long ball from Colin Woodthorpe, flicked on by Flitcroft, saw the Bury youngster stretch to get a weak shot off that flopped in the arms of the former Sheffield Wednesday keeper Pressman.

Mansfield saw half time looming and decided to do something about it, Barker and Brown combined well and got a high ball into the box, keeper Edwards leapt for the ball but clattered into Dave Challinor allowing Barker to steer the ball over the line, or so he thought, Colin Woodthorpe cleared the ball off the line to preserve the Shakers lead and clean sheet.

With no changes to either side at the break, the second half onslaught from the home side came, and lasted for around ten minutes, but the Shakers withstood the pressure and barely broke into a sweat.
Adam Rundle & Giles Coke both had good chances within minutes of the second half starting, but neither could get their shots drop quickly enough and both flew harmlessly over the bar. Rundle again on 49 minutes should have done better with a crisp shot on the angle just inside the Bury box, but Edwards was more than equal to the effort.

Richard Barker had a shot on 51 minutes that looked goal bound, a sprawling Colin Woodthorpe though had other ideas and his effort bounced clear and was assisted up the field by Kennedy.
On 55 minutes, Giles Coke hit the target with a stern shot, but his effort produced another good stop by the Bury keeper, though this time he failed to hold the ball. With Brown and Barker both steaming for the ball, Colin Woodthorpe suddenly appeared form nowhere and smashed the ball half way to Nottingham.
The ball came flying back to the edge of the Bury area and eventually fell to Barker again, his surging forward run though was blocked as he got into the box with an astounding tackle form Woodthorpe again.

Bury suddenly upped their game a little and Tom Youngs, a second half replacement for Flitcroft, created havoc on the home midfield. A tough challenge on Jake Buxton saw the Bury striker emerge with the ball, and the Stags player on the floor as though a sniper had got him, Youngs fed the ball forward to Danny Reet, who cracked off a reet good shot that flew just wide of the target.
Pressman's goal kick came straight back from Dwayne Mattis and fell to Tom Kennedy who surged forward, another shot followed and again it flew wide of the target.

Gavin Peers had been on the pitch for seconds when a long ball into the Bury box was again cleared to the feet of Peers on the edge of the box, his shot would have hit Sheffield City Centre if it wasn't for the stand blocking the balls flight.
Mansfield had a claim for a penalty on 72 minutes when Barker got forward and into the box, Tom Kennedy slid in with a superb tackle that took ball first and player second, despite protests from around 3,900 stags fans and 11 stags players, the referee waved away all protests and Bury cleared the ball.

Former Bury player Adrian Littlejohn was introduced into the game on 72 minutes, his first effort though saw Edwards punchy clear, further extending Littlejohn's two year barren spell without a goal.
Bury got the ball forward from Edwards and Buxton collected on the edge of the Mansfield box, Tom Youngs slid in and again stabbed the ball away form the Mansfield player to the feet of Danny Reet, Reet took one touch and exquisitely chipped pressman with the smallest of chips, or to put it another way, a 'Reet Petite Chip'.

From the restart Mansfield poured forward again, this time it was skipper Richard Barker who collected the ball outside the Bury area and unleashed a ferocious drove at goal, the Stags skipper stood in disbelief and Edwards superbly dived, tipped the ball away and laid the ball at the feet of Tom Kennedy who lashed it up the field.
Finally, the official put the Stags out of their misery and ended the game. A comprehensive win for the Shakers whose season is at last up and running, the Stags fans that were left in the ground quickly vanished with mild mutterings leaving the Shakers to celebrate a fine win with the 215 travelling supporters and the one Bury fan that lives in Mansfield - somebody just went into full smug mode.
Goal show for happy Shakers
MANSFIELD TOWN 0 BURY 3 BY PHIL THORP: Shakers grabbed their biggest win of the season in fine style although they didn't have things all their own way at Field Mill on Friday night.

It proved to be a miserable first game in charge for new Stags manager Peter Shirtliff and it was fellow rookie boss Chris Casper who was left smiling after this resounding victory.

Casper's decision to play on-loan Sheffield Wednesday youngster Danny Reet ahead of former Mansfield man Matthew Tipton proved a masterstroke with the powerful striker bagging two great goals on his first team debut.

Yet, this wasn't the best performance the Shakers have put in in recent weeks and it could be argued that they played better in the 3-2 home defeat to Notts County two weeks ago.

But if a team can win convincingly when not at its best it must be doing something right and a similar result at Scunthorpe in the FA Cup first round replay on Tuesday evening wouldn't go amiss!

The game was effectively over inside the first nine minutes when Bury raced into a two goal lead.

Displaying the neat, incisive football that looks like turning their season around they opened the scoring after only six minutes when Nicky Adams delivered a fine ball onto the head of Reet who steered it home from 10 yards.

Three minutes later their advantage was doubled when, following a flowing move down the left, Simon Whaley cut inside and lashed a powerful right-footed drive that took a slight deflection to beat Kevin Pressman in the Town goal.

The home side managed to pick jup their game at the start of the second half and twice in the opening minutes Richie Barker had great chances to reduce the deficit, firstly trying his luck with a lob that ended on the roof of the net, then was unlucky to be on the end of a magnificent block tackle by Woodthorpe when just about to pull the trigger.

The disgruntled home fans were seething when referee Scott Mathieson denied them a penalty in the 73rd minute when Barker appeared to have his legs pulled from under him by Tom Kennedy.

Their mood was hardly lifted two minutes later when Bury added a third. For the second time in the game substitute Tom Youngs fed Reet on the edge of the box but unlike his first effort that flew harmlessly wide, Reet's second strike, a powerful dipping effort, rocketed into the top corner to send the Bury fans behind Pressman's goal delirious.

Bury: Edwards, Scott, Challinor, Mattis, Buchanan, Whaley (Quigley 90), Adams, Flitcroft (Youngs 57), Kennedy, Reet (Tipton 78), Woodthorpe.

Referee: Mr S. Mathieson (Cheshire)

Attendance: 4,147


Latest | November 2005