{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2005

6th November 2005 23:01

FA Cup Round 1
Rotherham United 3 - 4 Mansfield Town
McLaren 30, 38, Burton 54. Brown 28, Coke 37, Barker 75, 90+2.
Keane sent off 90+1.
Uhlenbeek sent off 90+1.
Attendance: 4089 (app 1050 from Mansfield)

Observer report by Steve Hartshorn:

Barker scores late winner as Stags knock out Millers

Rotherham United 3 Mansfield Town 4
McLaren 30, 38, Burton 54. Brown 28, Coke 37, Barker 75, 90+2
Attendance – 4089 (1050 from Mansfield)

Stags hot-shot striker, Richie Barker scored an added on time winner as Mansfield Town edged out Rotherham United in a pulsating FA Cup thriller at Millmoor last weekend.
Stags twice took the lead but were pegged back straight away by The Millers, who then went onto take a 2nd half lead before Barker struck twice against his former Club to seal the win and send Stags into an FA Cup 2nd Round home tie against Conference leaders Grays Athletic.
The game was a typical FA Cup local derby filled with passion, goals and the odd bit of controversy. The Stags entered the game full of confidence and with Peter Shirtliff finally installed as manager whilst The Millers were on a run of form that had not seen the side win since the 10th September.
In a tight opening it was the home side who were first to threaten when a through ball from Keane found Deon Burton who flashed a first time shot wide of Pressman's left hand post. Butler then had a pop at The Stags goal, but his effort did little to trouble Pressman.
The game erupted into life on 28 minutes when a right side cross from Gus Uhlenbeek was met superbly by the head of Simon Brown. The travelling mass of Stags fans leapt to their feet in celebration, but before they had any real time to settle down, the home side had crafted an equaliser. The ball entered The Stags area where McLaren was first to react and turned neatly to fire into the top corner of the net from 15 yards giving Pressman no chance whatsoever.
Less than a minute later, Millers striker, Martin Butler was lucky to escape with only a yellow card when he clearly caught Dawson with an elbow.
On 34 minutes Stags missed a great opportunity to re-take the lead. A fine through ball found Rundle running clear at the Rotherham goal but his effort was saved by the fingertips of Montgomery.
On 37 minutes Mansfield once again took the lead, albeit in bizarre circumstances. A Gus Uhlenbeek cross was cleared only as far as Giles Coke who headed the ball past a static Millers defence and into the net. Richie Barker looked as if he was in an offside position, but Referee Drysdale ruled that the goal stood. As the Rotherham defence stood in astonishment The Stags players reeled away in celebration.
However a minute later Rotherham equalised once more. A fine one-touch move between Burton and McLaren saw McLaren hit an unstoppable shot that flew into the net from 18 yards. Again Pressman had no chance.
There was hardly time to draw breath as both Butler and Brown went close to putting their side ahead. As the first half entered added on time, Barker had to leave the field for treatment for a knock to the head.
On 52 minutes, the home side went ahead for the first time in the game. A corner came over and was missed by the entire Stags defence; however, Burton was on hand at the far post to put the ball over the line, despite a desperate attempt from Talbot.
The Referee put Hjelde, Brown and then Mullin into his bulging notebook making that a total of seven in what had not been a dirty encounter.
Hjelde was replaced by Day on 65 minutes; a little later Birchall was introduced for Talbot as Shirtliff rearranged his troops in an attempt to get level.
That goal should have come following a Stags corner. A well directed kick from Rundle found Day, who's header fell to Brown right in front of goal, however, incredibly Brown hit the ball over the bar when it looked easier to score.
Millers boss introduced former Stags favourite, Lee Williamson on 70 minutes, but just four minutes later Stags were on level terms. Birchall did well to square the ball across the area to Barker, who from just six yards poked the ball home.
Pressman was at his best on 79 minutes when he denied Butler after the Millers striker had been put through by Burton.
Simon Brown then had a chance to put the game safe for Mansfield but screwed his shot wide from close range.
As the game entered the 90th minute, all hell broke loose. Keane clearly fouled Uhlenbeek but as the Stags midfielder tried to get to his feet, Keane hung onto his leg. As Uhlenbeek struggled to get free both players clashed which caused their teammates to get involved. At the end of it all, the Referee produced a straight red for both Uhlenbeek and Keane. Uhlenbeek was clearly angry at the injustice and had to be restrained by his teammates as he left the field.
Day then had a chance for The Stags before deep into added on time, Stags scored to silence the red part of Millmoor and to ignite wild celebrations from the 1000 or so from Mansfield. Coke headed a half clearance back towards goal, Montgomery looked favourite to reach the ball first but Barker beat him to it to knock the ball into the net.
Seconds later the final whistle blew and the Stags players and supporters celebrated a famous Cup victory that will be remembered for years to come.
This Friday night, Stags are at home to Bury as they look to continue their good run of form and move up the Coca Cola League 2 table.

Observer Man of the match – Richie Barker.
CHAD report:
Barker the hero as Stags taste FA Cup glory
RICHIE Barker made a dream return to Millmoor this afternoon as Mansfield Town beat League One neighbours Rotherham United 4-3 in an FA Cup first round thriller.
Twice Stags led and twice the home side produced quick equalisers in a drawn first half.
Deon Burton then edged Rotherham in front for the first time on 53 minutes.
But Barker evened it up again with 15 minutes to go and, after Gus Uhlenbeek and Michael Keane had been dismissed for a stoppage time dust-up, there was still time for former Rotherham striker Barker to steal victory as everyone's thoughts were on a replay.
It was a superb start for Peter Shirtliff in his first official game in charge as Stags full-time boss after six weeks as caretaker.
Ironically his two predecessors had started their full-time Stags boss careers with an FA Cup tie and both been knocked out.
Stags had two enforced changes after three games with the same starting XI.
Left back Gareth Jelleyman began a three game suspension for last week's last minute red card and was replaced by Talbot. And with Manchester City refusing permission for Jonathan D'Laryea to play, Dawson was recalled to the centre of midfield.
The first real chance came in the fifth minute when a long Keane through ball gave Burton a glimpse of goal. Stags were appealing for offside but Burton was allowed to go and flashed a shot across Pressman and just wide of the far post.
Uhlenbeek got in a dangerous cross from the right but Montgomery gathered at his near post.
On 14 minutes Pressman was down easily to save a low 18 yard shot from Butler which the Millers striker failed to get any real venom behind.
The best move of the afternoon so far on 18 minutes saw Leadbitter and McLaren exchange passes before setting up Keane for a low shot that only just beat Pressman's left hand post.
But the game sprang to life with two goals in as many minutes.
First we had a goal for the underdogs on 28 minutes. Uhlenbeek crossed from wide on the right and Brown was there to steer a header home at the near post.
But the Millers were soon back on level terms. Stags were under pressured as a loose ball ricocheted to McLaren. And he turned well to hook a great finish into the top right hand corner from 15 yards.
A minute later Butler was lucky to escape with a yellow card after catching Dawson in the face with an elbow as this cup tie really caught fire.
Mullin got to the Mansfield by-line but then overhit his cross with plenty of options.
But Rundle missed a golden chance to restore Mansfield's lead on 34 minutes.
Clean through with only Montgomery to beat he allowed the keeper to stretch out a hand and turn his finish wide.
But Stags were back in front on 37 minutes. Uhlenbeek's cross was cleared as far as Coke on the edge of the box and he planted a header past a static defence and a rooted keeper into the net, possibly brushing Barker en route.
But amazingly the Millers were level again a minute later. Burton teed up McLaren 18 yards out and his first time blast beat Pressman all ends up.
Gilchrist was booked for dissent before the game restarted.
It was all action now and Butler made space before shooting just wide for the home side while Brown cut in but lashed well over for Mansfield.
Keane was booked for not retreating 10 yards from a Stags free kick two minutes from the break.
Stags soldiered on with 10 men in stoppage time as Barker received treatment for a knock to the head.
Mansfield might have edged ahead again just three minutes after the break. Rundle's corner reached Hjelde's feet at the far post. But the Norwegian just failed to turn the ball home, lashing at thin air.
Uhlenbeek was yellow-carded for bringing down Hurst in full flight.
And on 52 minutes Rotherham were ahead for the first time.
Keane curled over a right wing corner which passed over everyone to Burton who had the simplest of finishes at the far post.
Leadbitter sent a header well over soon after.
A foul from Hjelde on 62 minutes and dissent from Brown on 64 minutes earned Stags two more yellow cards and then Shirtliff made change at the back, sending on Day for Hjelde.
Mullin was booked for a foul on Talbot on 66 as the card tally reached seven.
Stags sent on Birchall for Talbot, Uhlenbeek going to right back, Buxton to left back and Birchall to right midfield.
And they should have immediately levelled.
Rundle's corner was headed back across goal by Day and Brown, a yard from goal, somehow lifted a finish over the top when it seemed easier to score.
Former Stag Williamson joined the action on 70 in place of Mullin.
But Stags hauled themselves level on 75 minutes. Birchall controlled a long ball to the far side of the box and drilled in a low cross that Barker buried from six yards.
Pressman came to Mansfield's rescue 11 minutes from time as Burton put Butler away only for the keeper to get in the way of his low finish.
On 82 minutes the Millers failed to clear a long throw from the left and Brown swung a boot on the turn from six yards and was wide of the target again.
Mansfield finished the game strongly, winning two corners.
But there was furore in the 90th minute for the second week on the trot.
Uhlenbeek reacted angrily to Keane's challenge and the pair clashed with other players racing in.
The referee eventually showed straight reds to both players but Uhlenbeek continued to berate the linesman who had been standing by the original incidcent and had to be wrestled off the pitch by team mates.
In stoppage time Day was inches away from turning Rundle's cross into the net.
But there was still time for a twist in the tale. And when a clearance was headed back towards goal by Coke, the ball looked to be heading for the keeper. But Barker bravely threw himself at it and just won the challenge, nicking the ball past Montgomery and clinching victory.


Latest | November 2005