{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2004

8th December 2004 10:03

Johnny Quigley, a fine midfielder, who played for the Stags from 1968 to 1972, passed away on 1st Dec 2004. He was 69.

All at SSA pass on our condolences to his family.

Some details on his career: Ashfield Juniors, Nottingham Forest (July 1957), Huddersfield Town (Feb 1965), Bristol City (Oct 1966), TOWN (£7,000 - July 1968, c/s 1971 - trainer coach to Nov 1971), Middle East coaching for several years, Dunkirk (early 1990s - coach, Aug 1996 - acting manager), Nottingham Dunkirk (Oct 1997 - coach)
Honours: FA Cup Winners 1959 & FA Charity Shield runners up 1960 (both Nottingham Forest). "Giant Killers" Cup Winners 1969 (Mansfield).

An outstanding player for Forest for nearly eight years, during which he made over 230 appearances for them, John Quigley was a master of ball control with that touch of guile for which Scottish inside forwards were renowned. He scored the goal that won the FA Cup semi final for Forest in 1959 and went on to collect a winners medal in the final. He was captain of the Stags' great 1968-69 FA Cup giant killing team and became involved with the training side of the club for a time after his playing days had ended. He was surprisingly dismissed with manager Jock Basford, when it was thought that he was being groomed for the manager's hot seat himself.

Martin & Paul

Later story:
Monday, December 06, 2004

Police are appealing for help in piecing together the last movements of former Nottingham Forest star John Quigley, who died at the Queen's Medical Centre on Tuesday.

Mr Quigley, 69, who played for Forest between 1957 and 1965, died having been admitted to the hospital the night before with facial injuries.

When he arrived at the QMC at around 8.50pm he was disorientated.

Police want to speak to anyone who might have seen Mr Quigley, who lived at Ploughman's Court, Stapleford, after 2pm on November 29.

He had been in Wetherspoons pub in Carlton Street, Hockley, until 2pm, but police do not know where he was between then and arriving at the QMC.

He was wearing a brown sheepskin coat, dark blue trousers and a dark tie.

A spokesperson for Notts Police said: "We want to establish how Mr Quigley spent the day before he was admitted to the Queen's Medical Centre.''

Officers were "keeping an open mind" about how he died.


Latest | December 2004