{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2004

31st October 2004 15:43

Mansfield Town 0 - 0 Bury
Larkin missed pen 6

Att 4147 (283 from Bury)

The Stags were held 0-0 by Bury at Field Mill. Colin Larkin missed an early penalty after Alex Neil was brought down, and in the second half both Wayne Corden and Derek Asamoah struck the woodwork.
BBC report:
Mansfield 0-0 Bury

Mansfield had to settle for a single point after missing a first-half penalty and hitting the crossbar twice.
Alex Neil was hauled down by David Nugent in the box but Colin Larkin's low spot-kick was saved by Glyn Garner.

Nugent fired inches over for the Shakers at the other end before the home side took control.

Stags substitute Wayne Corden hit the woodwork with a looping effort before Derek Asamoah saw his shot rebound off the underside of the bar.
Match Stags (Press Assoc)
10 Goal Attempts 4
3 On Target 2
5 Off Target 2
2 Hit Woodwork 0
4 Offsides 3
4 Corners 5
15 Fouls 12
Keeper Glyn Garner was the hero as Bury clung on for a point to extend their unbeaten run to six matches and deny promotion rivals Mansfield only their second win in seven games.

Garner brilliantly saved Colin Larkin's seventh minute penalty - his fourth spot kick stop of the season - and when he was beaten in a one way second half, the crossbar twice came to his rescue.

Unchanged Mansfield had almost got off to the perfect start when Larkin and Alex Neil both had close-range drives blocked by desperate defending in the third minute.

Four minutes later, Larkin squandered an even better chance with the missed penalty. Neil was tripped by David Nugent as he raced into the area, but Larkin's spot kick was well held by Garner as he dived to his left. Nugent almost made amends for his clumsy challenge in the ninth minute, but his low drive just brushed the outside of the post.

The striker then scooped over the bar from 12 yards after a clever 26th minute flick on from Dwayne Mattis as Dave Challinor's trademark long throws caused problems for the home defence.

The rest of the first half degenerated into a scrappy midfield battle, the only chances falling to Mansfield's Tom Curtis and Scott McNiven who fired over with snap shots.

Mansfield substitute Wayne Corden made an immediate impact. First his 57th minute cross was hooked over from six yards by the unmarked David Artell.

Just two minutes later the wing-man's clever chip hit the bar with a struggling Garner back peddling.

The tricky Corden created mayhem in the Bury defence, in the 62nd minute, his inswinging cross finding the inrushing Alex Baptiste, but his shot was pushed to safety by the diving Garner.

The woodwork again denied The Stags in the 67th minute after a flowing right-wing move, Derek Asamoah clipping the bar from Larkin's cross.

Bury weathered the storm and almost stole the points in a rare attack 11 minutes from time, but a last-ditch tackle from Artell, finally thwarted Nugent.

The Stags continued to dominate and in the final minute, Artell wasted their last chance, glancing Craig Woodman's free-kick narrowly wide.
Stags 0 Bury 0
MANSFIELD Town were left frustrated as Bury, who conceded five goals at Field Mill last season, left with a clean sheet.
On an afternoon when the FA Cup first round draw paired Stags at home to League One Colchester United, Colin Larkin wasted a golden opportunity to give them a platform when he saw his seventh minute penalty kick saved by Glynn Garner - the keeper's fourth spot kick save out of five this season.
And, in a one-way second half, Stags twice hit the Bury crossbar.
But it wasn't to be their day as they slipped a place to eighth and out the play-off spots.
Stags boss Keith Curle said: "It was frustrating rather than disappointing. But I am not kidding anyone, that was two points dropped.
"The pleasing thing was that we created so many chances but just couldn't take any of them.
"Give some credit to Bury. They worked hard to close us down, though we were still able to create plenty of opportunities.
"We dominated play all afternoon and Kevin Pilkington was a bystander for 95 per cent of the game which was pleasing.
"We went about our business in the right manner but just couldn't get the ball over the line. It was just one of those afternoons.
"We started the game superbly and created chance after chance. "The ball was flashing across their goal and we hit the woodwork twice. But it just wouldn't go in for us."
Mansfield were unchanged with midfielder Murray replacing Buxton on the bench.
Bury made two changes with Lee Unsworth and Terry Dunfield in for Barrass and Newby respectively, who both dropped to the bench.
Stags took the game to the visitors and almost grabbed a third minute lead.
Woodman's free kick wasn't cleared properly and Larkin managed to get in a vicious low shot from 10 yards which was blocked. The bal ran on to Neil who saw his follow-up attempt deflect wide for the home side's first corner.
But Stags then blew the chance of a seventh minute lead when Larkin failed to convert a penalty.
Neil's burst into the box was halted by Nugent's outstretched leg and there was no argument from the visitors as Mr Danby pointed to the spot.
Larkin tried to slot home to the left of keeper Garner. But he guessed right and added to his impressive list of spot kick stops with a full-length dive and save.
On nine minutes villain Nugent almost turned hero as he dragged an 18-yard shot inches wide of the far post.
Bury won their first corner on 16 minutes which Artell did well to hook clear at the far post as it passed through everyone.
Then Pilkington was firmly behind Barry-Murphy's low drive from the edge of the box.
Long throw expert Challinor sent in the first of his threats on 24 minutes which Artell was happy to turn away for a corner.
Another Challinor throw on 26 minutes saw Mattis get a flick-on and Nugent hooked a first time effort over the bar.
Then Pilkington had to dive at the feet of the incoming Porter on 29 minutes.
Stags hit back with two chances of their own and, when Garner spilled a free kick, Neil saw his shot charged down by Swailes.
Then McNiven's long throw found Curtis who poked his shot narrowly wide.
The crowd enjoyed the 38th minute as referee Danson was struck by the ball, knocking him over and, to the jeers and jokes of the crowd, stayed down for treatment!
McNiven fired narrowly over from 25 yards as he ran onto a loose clearance on 41 minutes.
In first half stoppage time, a McNiven free kick was easily cleared and then Ipoua, trying bustle his way through, appeared to be fouled and was irate as the decision went the other way.
Stags began the second half in charge of possession. But with little sign of an early breakthrough, Curle decided to take off the ineffective Ipoua and bring on left winger Corden, Larkin pushing up front.
Corden almost carved out a goal within three minutes, but his cross shot up off the turf at defender Artell who could only turn it over the crossbar.
Then Corden cut inside from the left two minutes later and saw his curling shot from the edge of the box hit the top of the crossbar.
Woodman produced a well-timed tackle to halt Nugent as he carved out Bury's first threat of the half.
But Corden was again the provider as he crossed low to give John-Baptiste a shooting chance that forced Garner to save to his right.
Bury made a double change with Dunfield and Barry-Murphy replaced by Flitcroft and Whaley.
John-Baptiste headed just wide at the far post from Corden's cross.
Bury then sent on Newby for Porter up front.
Stags struggled to clear a low cross from Whaley and Nugent saw two efforts blocked in front of goal by Artell and then Neil.
With time running out, Curle sent on MacKenzie and O'Neill for Curtis and Neil on 83 minutes.
In the final minute a Woodman free kick was headed just wide by Artell as time ran out on the Stags.
Bury boss Graham Barrow said: "After being beaten here 5-3 here last year maybe one or two things were on our side this time which makes a change.
"The players worked hard, four or five of them were suffering the effects of flu this week so you have to say it was a point well earned, especially looking at Mansfield's home record this season.
"The penalty looked a penalty, he stuck his leg out. But our keeper has a good record of saving penalties this season and did it again, "When you have saved a penalty you should take something out the game and we did, The faith we've shown in Glynn has been repaid and he has been magnificent.
"We had a couple of half chances and with a calm, cool head in the six yard box we might have nicked all three points.
"But I have no complaints as we've come to a place where it is very hard to get anything and got a result. It is a step in the right direction."
Stags now travel to Macclesfield Town on Tuesday in the LDV Vans Trophy.

MANSFIELD: Pilkington, McNiven, Woodman, Dimech, Artell, John-Baptiste, Neil, Curtis, Ipoua, Asamoah, Larkin. Subs: White, MacKenzie, Murray, Corden, O'Neill.
BURY: Garner, Unsworth, Kennedy, Swailes, Challinor, Woodthorpe, Mattis, Dunfield, Barry-Murphy, Nugent, Porter. Subs: Whaley, Newby, Flitcroft, Scott, Barrass.
REFEREE: Paul Danson of Leicestershire.
Manchester Evening News:
Mansfield 0 Bury 0

GLYNN Garner protected Bury's unbeaten run with a first half penalty save as the Shakers came under the cosh at Field Mill.

The Welshman stopped Colin Larkin's seventh minute spot kick and went on to produce a fine display as the Shakers extended their unbeaten sequence to six games.

Garner has had his critics in recent times, not for his shot saving but for his reluctance to boss his penalty area.

But on this occasion Garner was faultless with manager Graham Barrow saying: "Glynn has been talked about a few weeks ago, but we've shown faith in him and today he has been magnificent.

"And when your keeper saves a penalty, you hope to go on and get something out of the game, which thankfully we did."

Barrow then revealed that a number of his squad had gone down with a viral infection last week. And that would explain the ineffective displays of midfielders Brian Barry-Murphy and Terry Dunfield, while Chris Porter also struggled up front.

"Under the circumstances, it's a point earned," agreed Barrow. "I have no complaints about the penalty.

"From where I was sat, it looked a good decision.

"We had a couple of half chances but overall we're pleased to have come away with a draw, and the main thing is, we've kept our unbeaten run going."

Barrow dispensed with his three man attacking line-up for a match that produced eight goals last season, with Dunfield and Lee Unsworth coming into the team for Jon Newby and Matt Barrass.


And Bury were soon under attack as Larkin missed a good opportunity to net his ninth goal of the season. He had an even better chance when Nugent fouled Alex Neil but Garner guessed right and denied the Stags' striker from the spot.

The rest of the first half was even, with Bury going close through Nugent and Barry-Murphy, while former Oldham defender Scott McNiven blasted a 25-yarder wide as half-time approached.

The introduction of winger Wayne Corden threatened to take the point out of Bury's grasp. Corden set up a chance straight away for Dave Artell and then hit the crossbar after 58 minutes, with a right-foot curler.

In addition, Corden created the opening for Neil but Garner made a smart save.

Bury introduced two substitutes of their own in the 63rd minute, but then survived another scare when Derek Asamoah belted the ball against the underside of the crossbar from just five yards out.

Bury came more into the game late on as Mansfield pressed forward, but still they couldn't trouble Pilkington, who kept his first clean sheet in seven games.
y3kshakers.co.uk :
Poor Bury scrape goalless draw
By Y3K Shakers

Bury had goalkeeper Glyn Garner to thank as he saved yet another penalty and saw Mansfield Town hit the woodwork three times in a very disappointing display by the visitors at Field Mill.

It was perhaps Burys worst performance of the season but at the same time everybody connected with the club will be delighted to pick up a point and a clean sheet from a very good attack minded side.

The result made it six games undefeated for Graham Barrows men but they had goalkeeper Glyn Garner to thank after saving a penalty and dealing with everything that was thrown at him.

Not looking well, the Welshman even had to take a couple of pain killers with water early in the first half moments after he had saved an incredible fourth penalty of the season.
The spot kick was awarded after Dave Nugent, covering for an AWOL Lee Unsworth, left out a leg and tripped Alex Neil. Garner, fists clenched and shouting for encouragement from the good following of Bury fans behind the goal turned to face Stags top goalscorer Colin Larkin and saved by diving low to his left. It was a comfortable save as he managed to hold onto the ball and prevent Larkin from netting his ninth of the season.

The visitors were really struggling to get into the game with Chris Porter in particular finding it difficult to keep hold of the ball. Any pass played forward was easily dealt with by a solid yellow shirted defence. Bury earned a few corners but Brian Barry-Murphy found it difficult to put in one of his super balls because of the lack of a run up in the corners.

Bury escaped yet again when an angled drive following a goal mouth scramble hit the post and was cleared to safety.

Nugent had the only real chance for Bury in the first half but he didn't connect well and hit the ball well over the crossbar. The home side got a little closer with a number of long range efforts that didn't trouble Garner much. The Bury shot stopper was kept busy with numerous crosses though.

Terry Dunfield started in midfield but on a heavy pitch he and his engine room partners found a heavy pitch too much to handle and made no space for themselves as the Stags piled forward with pace.

Still, going into the dressing room at half time with the scores still level should have given encouragement to the team in all white but the second half saw them on the back foot even more except for a ten minute spell at the end.

Substitute Wayne Corden saw his dipping long range effort deflect off the crossbar and away and ten minutes later, Derek Asamoah got on the end of Larkins cross and crashed his effort against the underside of the crossbar before the ball was hooked away to safety.

It seemed like the Field Mill support would soon be celebrating a goal but the attacking force that had been seen for much of the game appeared to run out of ideas when former Shaker Joe O'Neill arrived on the scene and it was Bury who were having the best spell of the game.

Simon Whaley and Dave Flitcroft replaced Barry-Murphy and Dunfield and the newcomers made an immediate impact with some good runs forward and clever passes. The pair teamed up to create the away sides best chance of the game when the ball found itself to Nugent six yards out who sliced the ball when it looked like a certain goal. The resulting scramble saw the ball bounce down off a Mansfield defenders arm but the referee ignored the appeals of the Bury players and supporters.

In injury time, Dave Artell rose unmarked to nod a free-kick just wide with the home fans ready to cheer a goal but it wasn't to be and Bury had picked up an important point to extend their undefeated run to six games.

Glyn Garner: 9
Another penalty save and was kept on his toes throughout.

Lee Unsworth: 5
Left his side in deep trouble by being caught in no mans land.

Tom Kennedy: 6
Rarely got forward and their forwards kept him back defending.

Danny Swailes: 7
Drifted out of position by following his opponents left and right.

Dave Challinor: 7
Headed every ball away but needed to get closer to his opponent.

Colin Woodthorpe: 6
His good positioning couldn't help him with his lack of pace.

Terry Dunfield: 5
Didn't win tackles or find his men when he had the ball.

Brian Barry-Murphy: 6
Got no help from his fellow midfielders and was soon tackled.

Dwayne Mattis: 6
Managed to make a few tackles but we needed him running forward.

Dave Nugent: 6
Was too far away from his strike partner and it left him with too much work.

Chris Porter: 4
His first touch on the heavy pitch was dreadful and he couldn't keep the ball.

Football First match report:
By John Lomas

transcribed by carole

Garner to the rescue

YOUNG Bury keeper Glynn Garner blocked his fourth penalty out of five this season to thwart Colin Larkin in the seventh minute, a save that proved crucial in what ended up a 0-0 draw.

In this fixture last season, Mansfield pumped five goals past Bury as they won a 5-3 thriller; but the Stags would have given anything for just one of those goals as a gritty Bury hung on for a point.

Mansfield lay siege to the visitors' goal after the break and twice hit the crossbar. But Bury stood firm to extend their unbeaten run to six games.

Mansfield boss Keith Curle said: “It was frustrating rather than disappointing. But I am not kidding anyone, it was two points dropped.

“We started the game superbly and we created chance after chance. The ball was flashing across their goal and we hit the woodwork twice but it just wouldn't go in for us.

“The pleasing thing for me was that we created so many chances but just couldn't take any of them.

“But Bury worked hard to close us down though we were still able to create plenty of opportunities.

“We dominated play all afternoon and Kevin Pilkington was a bystander for 95 per cent of the game, which was pleasing.

“We went about our business in the right manner but just couldn't get the ball over the line. It was just one of those afternoons.”

Larkin should have put Mansfield in charge on seven minutes after David Nugent had brought down Alex Neil in the box. But Garner guessed correctly to dive to his left and save the spot-kick.

Nugent had a couple of half-chances for the visitors in the first half.

But it was all Mansfield in the second half and the introduction of Wayne Corden down the left noticeably livened up the home side.

Corden set up Derek Asamoah for a shot which flew over and then cut inside before chipping against the crossbar from 20 yards just two minutes later. But when Larkin found Asamoah in front of goal in the 67th minute, his close-range finish hit the underside of the bar and bounced down without crossing the line and Mansfield knew it just wasn't to be their day.

Bury manager Graham Barrow said: “After being beaten here 5-3 last year perhaps one or two things were on our side this time, which makes a change.

“The players worked hard even though four or five of them have been suffering from flu this week, so you have to say it was a point well earned, especially looking at Mansfield's home record this season.”

Mansfield Town…………..Bury
51-----------Possession %---- 49
0------------Yellow Cards-------0
0------------Red Cards----------0
5------------Shots on Target----2
5------------Shots off Target----2
2------------Hit Woodwork------0


Latest | October 2004