{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2004

28th March 2004 17:37

Football First match report:
By Johnny Isles

transcribed by carole

Day's leveller denies Yeovil

CENTRAL defenders moved up in the second-half to score the goals that the strikers couldn't find in a pulsating match between the two teams placed seventh and eighth in the Third Division.

With only a point between them, Yeovil knew that victory would leapfrog them over the Stags into the final play-off place and it looked as though they were on their way after skipper Terry Skivington moved up to head in Lee Johnson's right-wing corner in the 62nd minute.

The inspirational Yeovil man damaged his back scoring and limped off five minutes later.

His presence was certainly missed as Mansfield mounted several late raids, forcing a number of dangerous free-kicks on the edge of the box.

From one of these set pieces Mansfield scored their equaliser in the 78th minute.

Home keeper Steve Collis, who had made a brilliant save from Wayne Corden's free-kick seven minutes earlier, made another to thwart Liam Lawrence, but when he pushed the ball out, substitute Chris Beardsley ripped it back into the middle where Rhys Day got up well to head in.

In the goalless first-half both teams hit the woodwork.

On 16 minutes Neil MacKenzie burst down the right for the Stags and rattled the crossbar with a 25 yarder that beat Collis all ends up.

Most of the chances were coming for Yeovil although even before that MacKenzie effort Mansfield might have taken the lead when Junior Mendes provided a good cross which Craig Disley should have made more of.

In the 32nd minute Yeovil's Kevin Gall, looking for his first goal since December, seemed destined to get it when he was brought down from behind by Bobby Hassell.

However, referee Richard Beeby astonished the Yeovil camp by refusing to give the penalty.

Ten minutes later Gall had another chance for a rare goal but headed against the bar from two yards although the angle was acute.

Yeovil's manager Gary Johnson, when asked whether he had challenged the referee about the penalty decision said: “No – I'll leave it a week.

“I might have calmed down by then. The referee was not good, but I won't say anything else because I don't want to have to go before the FA with Sam Allardyce.”

Johnson added: “Although the result wasn't what we wanted I was pleased that we got our form back.

“There is still plenty to play for and we're looking to go up.”

His opposite number Keith Curle agreed with Johnson that it was an excellent advertisement for the Third Division and a game which could have gone either way.

He said: “Both teams missed chances but I thought we were worth a point.

“As for the penalty, it is one of those things. Sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't.”

Yeovil Town………… Mansfield Town
47-----------Possession %---- 53
1------------Yellow Cards-------4
0------------Red Cards----------0
8------------Shots on Target---3
3------------Shots off Target---2
1------------Hit Woodwork-----0 (should be 1 of course!)


Latest | March 2004