NO NEW PLAYERS UNTIL 1ST JUNE
MANSFIELD TOWN boss Stuart Watkiss said Stags were facing a battle to
compete as defender Martin Pemberton left the club to join Stockport
Pemberton, who leaves on a free transfer under the Bosman ruling, has
signed a three-year contract with the Edgeley Park club.
Watkiss said: "It is obviously disappointing from our point of view but I understand he has received a good offer from Stockport. It just goes to show what we are up against because he has gone to a club in the same league as ourselves for a much better deal.
"There is nothing we can do about it but I am not surprised because I have thought for a while that he might have something sorted. When I saw his agent, he said it wasn't really worth offering a deal but I would like to thank Martin for his efforts while he was with us."
Watkiss said he has to wait on what is going to happen to ITV Digital before he can make any additions to his squad. He expects he will have to wait until June 1, when the list of players let go by clubs will be released. He said: "I have spoken with the chairman but there is nothing we can do until we find out what is happening with the ITV money.
"All we can do is tread water and hope no one else jumps in for the players
I have in mind. I know what I need and who I want for next season but there is no point in me doing anything about it until I know we can afford it which is very frustrating.
"The PFA list of players available should be out soon and then I am sure the wheeling and dealing will start."
Watkiss's priority will be to bring in central defenders after he allowed Adam Barrett to leave last week and put skipper Les Robinson on the transfer list.
"The finance I am given will dictate the type of player we are able to bring in but, first and foremost, I want two big, dominant central defenders. Once the ITV thing is sorted then I am sure we will see a flurry of
Source: Evening Post
Latest | April 2002