{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2003

29th April 2003 22:51

Tranmere Rovers 3 - 1 Mansfield Town
Jones 15, Haworth 81, Price 90
Lawrence (pen) 53

Attendance: 10,418 (app 150 from Mansfield)

Subs :
MacKenzie (for Mendes, 27)
Corden (for Williamson, 83)
Gadsby (for John-Baptiste, 86)
Subs not used: Welch, Mitchell.
CHAD report
Stags fail to raise roof in meaningless 'replay'
TWO goals in the last nine minutes shot down Mansfield's hopes of a point and a first win in eight games as the clash at Tranmere was finally completed at the second attempt last night.
Stags had trailed 2-0 at the interval on Saturday when the game was abandoned due to a man climbing on the roof of a stand.
With neither side having anything at stake, the atmosphere was muted even though the game drew a huge attendance thanks to the free admission.
But the Stags can be much happier with this showing after recent displays, forcing Rovers to work hard. Pilkington had to make a handful of outstanding saves, while big Andy White worked tirelessly on his own up front for over an hour.
Injury had ruled out strikers Iyseden Christie and Colin Larkin from Saturday's aborted line-up with Andy White and Junior Mendes replacing them up front. Liam Lawrence had recovered from his virus and was brought in at the expense of Wayne Corden.
Pilkington rescued Mansfield inside the first 30 seconds when Buxton's header out was knocked back over the defence to find Anderson on his own, only to see the keeper smother his finish at his feet.
In the second minute Pilkington had to turn a rising drive from Haworth over the angle and, a minute later, denied Jones at the foot of the other upright.
But Rovers broke through on 14 minutes when Roberts crossed long from the left. Jones got in behind Clarke and had time to control the ball on his chest before slamming home from six yards.
White tried a hopeful, dipping effort from 25 yards on 17 minutes which fell just over the far angle as the visitors looked for a quick way back.
Then Haworth looked well offside as he latched on to a long through ball. He was allowed to continue, but John-Baptiste got in a superb last ditch block.
Mansfield went to a five-man midfield on 27 minutes as Neil Mackenzie came on for Mendes.
Mackenzie's low through ball somehow found a way through everyone to reach White at the far post, but he couldn't force the ball past Achterberg at his near post.
Loran had a shot deflected just wide for Rovers' seventh corner. When that was cleared to Anderson, his rising shot from 25 yards brought the best out of Pilkington as he turned it over the top.
The half-time deficit of 1-0 was at least an improvement on Saturday. And the usual Scouse humour was apparent at the break as the PA played golden oldie 'Up on the Roof'!
Mansfield provided the first real threat of the second half when Lawrence's 25-yard free kick curled inches over the angle six minutes after the break.
And soon after Stags were on level terms when the referee spotted Sharpe's push on Buxton in the area and gave Lawrence the chance to equalise from the 54th minute penalty. Achterberg guessed the right way to dive, but the pace of the wingman's spot kick just managed to beat his fingertips.
Stags passed well on the counter-attack and Mackenzie dragged a shot wide from 20 yards, while White shot straight at the keeper from slightly closer in. Then Lawrence came even closer on 72 minutes with a curling effort that beat the keeper and the far post.
Disaster struck nine minutes from time as Hume got to the left byeline and crossed dangerously in front of goal, where Haworth jumped highest to head in from almost on the goalline.
In the dying seconds Price broke through the centre and although Pilkington did well to block his first shot, he was helpless as Price netted with his follow-up.


Latest | April 2003