{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2024

17th January 2024 23:55

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Morecambe 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
Brown 78. Cargill 61
Attendance: 4,387 (1,191 from Mansfield)

Date: 13 January 2024

Martin Shaw at the Mazuma Stadium (Globe Arena)

Mansfield Town drew 1-1 at Morecambe yesterday. It seemed to me on the face of it like a good time to play a Morecambe side that had just had four good players recalled from loans by their parent clubs. But as it turned out, Morecambe played extremely well, rejuvenated by excellent debuts from new signings Joe Adams and Gwion Edwards, and they fully deserved their point from the game.

Local reporter for BBC Lancashire Derek Quinn summed it up nicely after the game: “I won’t lie. I was a bit worried ahead of this game but I shouldn’t have been. A fantastic performance full of guts and no one can say Morecambe didn’t deserve a point. Some great debuts.”

I said before the game in commentary Morecambe are a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde team, for example winning 5-0 at Doncaster in December, and then losing 5-0 at Notts County. You just don’t know what you are going to get. They started the game firmly in mid-table, 15 points outside the relegation zone, 6 points outside the play-offs, and mid-table is probably where they will finish.

So all in all, a point away from home for the Stags was not a bad result. But the performance was a little disappointing in my opinion. In difficult conditions on a bobbly pitch, similar to Mansfield’s at the moment, the Stags were below the standards they have set themselves this season, and too sloppy in possession in the first half.

However Mansfield got themselves into the lead in the second half after 61 minutes with Ollie Clarke providing a clever pass to Baily Cargill who slammed into the net from 14 yards.

But in a game of relatively few clearcut chances, Morecambe equalised after 78 minutes with a well-worked goal as Yann Songo’o put in a good cross from the left and sub striker Charlie Brown showed a poacher’s instinct to the turn the ball into the net from close range. But defensively it was poor from the Stags with both full backs not doing enough to prevent the goal, Jordan Bowery being out of position to stop the cross, and Stephen McLaughlin allowing Brown to get away from him.

After that neither side looked like claiming a late winner.

A word on the travelling Stags fans. An away following of 1,191 was more than double Mansfield’s previous biggest away following at Morecambe (577), and treble what Mansfield have normally take before on a Saturday (in the 300’s). The fans largely stayed with the team throughout the game providing fantastic vocal support even when the performance wasn’t great during periods of the game.

Mansfield made two changes from the side that lost to Crewe.
Macdonald returned at left back in place of McLaughlin. Macdonald had missed the Crewe game due to injury as Nigel Clough had explained in midweek: “He couldn’t get into the squad at Stockport, just outside of it as we had plenty of cover, and on Saturday (v Crewe) he was injured in the last minute of training when he collided with Baily Cargill. He got a dead leg, but he should be okay for this week.”
Clarke returned for Quinn.
Flint remained an ever-present in the side, fresh from extending his contract to summer 2025. What a colossus he has been this season.

Mansfield started with a 4-4-2 formation with diamond in midfield, or 4-1-3-2 if you prefer. Reed was in front of the back four. Brunt on the right of the diamond. Keillor-Dunn up front with Akins.
However after Morecambe had three shots in the opening 7 minutes, and the Stags weren't handling their breaks, the Stags switched to 4-2-3-1 with Brunt alongside Reed in front of the back four.

Morecambe had lost four loan players recalled by their parent clubs: Mellon, King, Bloxham, Connolly.
Manager Ged Brannan brought in new signings Joe Adams and Gwion Edwards.
Another new signing, keeper Archie Mair came in to replace Adam Smith. Smith had played a handful of games on loan for Mansfield in 2015. Mair had saved two penalties for Notts County in their play-off final win over Chesterfield at Wembley to secure promotion back to the EFL in May.
Former Stags player Farrend Rawson was at centre half.
Striker Jordan Slew had a trial in pre-season at Mansfield under Steve Evans in 2017.
Jake Taylor in midfield had impressed for Port Vale against the Stags before when on loan from Nottingham Forest.

Morecambe had Mansfield on the back foot in the opening 7 minutes. After 3 minutes, Gwion Edwards shot wide of the right post from an angle on the right. Then on 6 minutes, a free kick from the left from Adam Mayor was headed out as far as Slew who did well to switch the ball from his right foot to his left before shooting just wide from 14 yards. A minute later, Keillor-Dunn gave the ball away with a pass back into his own area from just outside it, Joe Adams intercepted and fired wide. Terrible from Keillor-Dunn not learning the lessons from the goal given away against Crewe. Keillor-Dunn apologised to his teammates and was given a look of absolute disgust by some of them.

A fast start from Morecambe. The Stags switched formation as a result (details above).

After 11 minutes, a Keillor-Dunn corner to the near post, Clarke attacked it with a header, it came off Songo’o for another corner.

A minute later, Macdonald was too slow to release the ball, but the Stags got away with it.

Joe Adams got past Reed after 19 minutes, but Flint mopped up.

Macdonald was too slow and sloppy again after 19 minutes. Clough, in his technical area just in front of me in the press box, was furious.

After 20 minutes, Clarke cut in from the left and his shot was blocked by Joel Senior. It rebounded to Maris whose goalbound shot was blocked by Jacob Bedeau (in the post match interview, there was a suggestion that the shot hit Akins, but I think it was blocked by Bedeau). That was close.

Mansfield’s sloppiness continued as Brunt put in a terrible cross after 23 minutes, out for a goal kick. A minute later, Cargill lost the ball, Edwards got to the byline but his low cross was put behind for a corner.

Pym was out quickly to claim the ball at Adams’ feet after 25 minutes. Then Flint made an important tackle to prevent Slew getting through after 30 minutes.

Slew had the ball in the net after 34 minutes but the flag was long since up for offside. Morecambe broke from a Stags free kick. Taylor played forward to Slew, but he was well offside before putting the ball in the net.

After 35 minutes, chances at either end. Cargill’s ball forward was intercepted by Chris Stokes, who found Slew. Slew pushed forward and powered a shot goalwards from 28 yards which Pym pushed away. Good save.

Within seconds, Keillor-Dunn intercepted a pass from Songo’o 25 yards inside his own half. Keillor-Dunn surged forward, all the way to the edge of the Morecambe area, and curled a right footed shot which Rawson deflected and then the keeper Mair turned onto the bar. An absolutely magnificent break from Keillor-Dunn running 60 yards before firing in a shot which would have gone in but for the touches from defender and keeper. Credit also to Rawson and Mair.

The resulting corner came out to Keillor-Dunn who headed down to Reed who shot over the bar from 20 yards.

A minute after that, on 37 minutes, Clarke did well to win the ball, Maris played a great ball forward for Akins to run on to. Akins got into the area, shot through Rawson’s legs, and it took a little deflection off the inside of Rawson’s leg to take it straight to the keeper. Akins perhaps slightly more unlucky than I initially thought.

A good break from the Stags after 42 minutes, Keillor-Dunn to Bowery on the right but he put in a poor cross straight to the keeper. Clough turned away in disgust in his technical area.

Gwion Edwards got past Macdonald too easily after 45 minutes, Flint put the cross behind for a corner. Then on 45+1, Stokes fired high over the bar from 25 yards.

Nil nil at the break. The Stags had been very sloppy on a bobbly pitch, Macdonald, Cargill, Keillor-Dunn among others. Macdonald especially. Having said that, the Stags had come closest to scoring with Keillor-Dunn hitting the bar, the blocked shot from Maris, and the shot from Akins. Morecambe had played well, Joe Adams on his EFL debut very impressive, and Morecambe had had several chances.

Half time 0-0

Macdonald was replaced by McLaughlin at the start of the second half. It came as no surprise as Clough had been unhappy with Macdonald’s sloppiness in the first half.
However Clough said after the game: “Calum felt his calf cramp up in the last few minutes of the half and he couldn't get going again at half-time, so it was a necessary substitution.”

Nothing in the way of chances for either side in the opening 15 minutes of the second half. On 59 minutes, a chance for Clarke to get in but he slipped over.

Mansfield got themselves into the lead after 61 minutes. A free kick into the area from McLaughlin was headed away. Slew came away with the ball but his ball forward hit the back of Mayor’s boot. It fell for Maris who slid a nice ball to the edge of the area for Keillor-Dunn with his back to goal. Keillor-Dunn laid back to Clarke. Clarke then found Cargill in yards of space in the area with a clever pass. Cargill had time to steady himself before slamming the ball past the keeper into the net from 14 yards. Cargill’s third goal of the season. A really high quality assist from Clarke, his fifth assist of the season. The Stags players celebrated the goal in front of the travelling fans.

Half hearted appeals for a Morecambe penalty after 63 minutes. No chance.

Bedeau forced a corner on the left after 64 minutes.

The Stags reorganised. Keillor-Dunn went up front on his own. Akins dropped back to the right side of midfield. Maris into the middle from the right.

Then after 69 minutes, Rawson headed straight at Pym for an easy save, from a cross. Jake Taylor was high over the bar from 25 yards after 76 minutes.

At the other end on 77 minutes, McLaughlin wasted a cross putting it behind for a goal kick.

Morecambe equalised after 78 minutes with a well-worked goal as Mayor curled the ball down the left, Songo’o got in behind Maris and Bowery and put in a good cross from the left and sub striker Charlie Brown showed a poacher’s instinct to the turn the ball into the net from close range. Defensively it was poor from the Stags with both full backs not doing enough to prevent the goal, Bowery being out of position to stop the cross, and McLaughlin allowing Brown to get away from him.
Clough said after the game: “It was a poor goal defensively from our point of view. Both full backs should do better. It was one through ball and one cross and all of a sudden we were pinned back at 1-1.”

After 80 minutes, Songo’o knocked the ball forward and Pym caught, but the offside flag was up anyway.

A double change for the Stags after 87 minutes: Quinn for Clarke, Lewis for Maris. The Stags had had to wait a few minutes to make the change as the referee didn’t allow it at a stoppage, and then the ball didn’t go out of play for a while.

On 89 minutes, a McLaughlin free kick from the left might have clipped the hand of Songo’o in the area. Appeals for a penalty but the referee wasn’t going to give that.

Three minutes of stoppage time was added on. No more chances, and it finished all square. Some disappointment at not claiming the win, but a draw was certainly a fair result. The Stags were below the standards they have set themselves and the first half was probably the sloppiest of the season.

The Stags will be at home to bottom of the table Forest Green on Tuesday. If you can’t get to the game, you can watch it with us on iFollow Stags.


Morecambe 1-1 Mansfield Town
Brown (78'minutes)
Cargill (61'minutes)
Songo'o (78'minutes)
O Clarke (61'minutes)

Match report supplied by PA Media.

A Charlie Brown goal 12 minutes from time gave Morecambe a deserved point against high-flying Mansfield Town at the Mazuma Stadium.

Brown slid home a Yann Songo'o cross 12 minutes from time to pull the Shrimps level after Baily Cargill had given the visitors the lead just after the hour when he was all alone in the box.

Songo'o came close to a late winner for Ged Brannan's side when he got on the end of a neat ball into the box but could only volley straight at Christy Pym at full stretch.

Morecambe started brightly and created a string of early chances with Gwion Edwards, Jordan Slew and Joe Adams firing wide of the target from good positions.

Slew did find the target in the 34th minute but saw his goal disallowed for offside and was frustrated moments later when his long-range effort was parried away by Pym.

The Stags looked at their strongest on the break and George Maris was denied the opener when his goal-bound shot was blocked by his own player Lucas Akins.

The Stags finally found the target with Cargill's neat finish but the Shrimps levelled with Brown's excellent late goal.

Match Stats
Home Team Morecambe Away Team Mansfield
Possession Home 50% Away 50%
Shots Home 9 Away 6
Shots on Target Home 3 Away 3
Corners Home 3 Away 5
Fouls Home 9 Away 9


Morecambe battle back to hold Mansfield Town to a draw
chad.co.uk, Sat 13 Jan 2024

Mansfield Town were held to a frustrating 1-1 draw at Morecambe this afternoon.

Defender Baily Cargill had fired Nigel Clough’s promotion-chasers in front at the Globe Arena on 61 minutes.

But supersub Charlie Brown came off the bench to salvage a point for the Shrimps with an equaliser 12 minutes from time.

It’s a second game running where Stags have dropped points and they slipped to third as a result of Wrexham’s win over AFC Wimbledon.


Clough made a duo of changes after the defeat to fellow promotion-chasers Crewe Alexandra last time out.

Stephen’s McLaughlin and Quinn were the two to make way as Calum MacDonald returned to the starting line-up for the first time since the end of November, while Ollie Clarke was named in midfield.

It was the hosts who had the early chances as Gwion Edwards and Jordan Slew both fluffed their lines from inside the box.

Mansfield started to threaten without creating guilt-edged opportunities to take the lead with Clarke’s thumping header blocked before George Maris’ volley struck Lucas Akins.

Stags’ stopper Christy Pym produced a good save to parry Slew’s strike away from danger on 35 minutes.

After Slew had an effort disallowed for offside, the visitors came closest to breaking the deadlock before the break as Davis Keillor-Dunn rattled the crossbar from a good break 10 minutes before half-time.

Clough made a half-time switch as the returning MacDonald was replaced by McLaughlin.

And the Stags hit the front on the hour mark.

Maris found Keillor-Dunn with a ball in from the right. He fed Clarke who superbly found Cargill square in space to his left with a fine first-time pass for the latter to smash home his third goal of the season.

The travelling fans breathed a collective sigh of relief when Joe Adams could only nod at Pym from point-blank range on 69 minutes.

However, Morecambe levelled with little over 10 minutes to go as Brown turned home Yann Songo’o’s low cross from close range.

Stags now prepare to face visiting bottom side Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday night.

MORECAMBE: Mair, Senior, Bedeau, Rawson, Stokes, Songo’o, Taylor, Edwards (Brown, 62), Adams (Davenport, 82), Mayor, Slew. SUBS NOT USED: Melbourne, Threlkeld, Tutonda, Smith, Smith.

STAGS: Pym, Bowery, Flint, Cargill, MacDonald (McLaughlin, 45), Reed, Brunt, Clarke (Quinn, 88), Maris (Lewis, 88), Akins, Keillor-Dunn. SUBS NOT USED: Flinders, Williams, Boateng, Swan.

REFEREE: Seb Stockbridge.

ATTENDANCE: 4,387 (1,191 away).


Morecambe take well-earned point from Stags
morecambefc.com, Sat 13 Jan 2024

The Shrimps settle for a well-earned point following a 1-1 draw against Mansfield Town.

Baily Cargill netted on 61 minutes before Charlie Brown's first league goal of the season cancelled out the away side's opener.

Despite pressure from the visitors, it was Morecambe who carved out the better of the early chances, with new acquisition Joe Adams and Jordan Slew both flashing their respective efforts narrowly off target.


An end-to-end opening period saw both sides continue to push for an opener, with the Stags coming closest to breaking the deadlock after a scramble on the edge of the area was lashed clear by a resolute Shrimps defence.

Adams continued to trouble Nigel Clough’s side, a series of mazy forward runs characterising a scintillating opening 45 for the debutant.

Slew thought he’d put Ged Brannan’s men one to the good in the 35th minute, slotting home after a fluid counterattack, but the linesman had raised his flag, halting the celebrations.

Davis Keillor-Dunn came within inches of giving Mansfield the lead soon after. A solo breakaway move resulted in his strike from distance cannoning off the crossbar, with Archie Mair getting fingertips to the strike to keep it out.

Half-time: Morecambe 0 Mansfield Town

A cagey start to the second period brought little in the way of chances, however the visitors consistent pressure ultimately paid off just after the hour mark.

A driven ball across the edge of the area fell kindly for Baily Cargill, and the centre-half coolly fired the visitors in front.

Despite the away side enjoying the lion’s share of possession, Morecambe looked to threaten on the counterattack, capitalising on Mansfield’s high defensive line.

The Shrimps got their richly-deserved reward in the 78th minute when Yann Songo’o was released brilliantly down the left-hand side. He flashed his delivery across the face of goal, with substitute Brown arriving at the back post to turn home the equaliser.

A breathless conclusion to the game saw both sides pushing for a winner, although neither could find a way through.

Full-time: Morecambe 1 Mansfield Town 1

Morecambe: Mair, Bedeau, Rawson, Songo’o, Adams (Davenport, 82’), Mayor, Senior, Slew, Stokes, Taylor, Edwards (Brown, 62’).

Subs not used: A Smith, Tutonda, C Smith, Melbourne, Threlkeld.

Goals: Brown (78’).

Bookings: Senior, Mayor, Brown.

Red cards: None.

Mansfield Town: Pym, Cargill, Akins, Clarke (Quinn, 87’), Bowery, Maris (Lewis, 88’), Macdonald (Mclaughlin, HT), Flint, Brunt, Reed, Keillor-Dunn.

Subs not used: Flinders, Williams, Swan, Boateng.

Goals: Cargill (61’).

Bookings: None.

Red cards: None.

Attendance: 4,387 (1,191 away).


Morecambe 1, ​Mansfield 1: Shrimps stun Stags for a well-deserved point
lancasterguardian.co.uk, ​​By Derek Quinn

Charlie Brown's first Football League goal for the Shrimps earned Ged Brannan's side a deserved point against promotion chasing Mansfield Town.

A new look Shrimps' side that has seen five loan players leave the club in the past week more than matched Nigel Clough's high flyers and few could argue that they didn't deserve a share of the spoils on an entertaining afternoon.

Brannan made four changes from the side that lost at Swansea last weekend, handing debuts to Archie Mair, Gwion Edwards and Joe Adams and recalling the fit again Adam Mayor and all played a part in an excellent display.

Morecambe started the better with Edwards, who made an impressive first start, drilling an effort just wide from the right hand side of the box and Jordan Slew failing to find the target from 12 yards out.


Slew did find the net in the 34th minute but saw his goal disallowed for offside and was frustrated moments later when his long range effort was parried away by visiting keeper Christy Pym.

The Stags looked at their strongest on the break and George Maris was denied the opener when his goalbound shot was superbly blocked by Jacob Bedeau.

Davis Keillor-Dunn then produced a stinging shot from distance that was superbly tipped onto the crossbar by Mair.

Cargill's goal came on the hour after a swift counter following a Slew pass which hit Mayor's heel and left the Shrimps on the back foot. Mansfield clinically made the most of the opportunity as Ollie Clarke found the unmarked Cargill in the box and the defender fired home his third goal of the season.

The Shrimps showed great spirit and stunned the Stags with a spirited comeback.

Visiting defender Jordan Bowery was caught hopelessly out of position by Adam Mayor's superb ball for Yann Songo'o down the left and his low cross was met by the sliding substitute Brown for a well worked goal.

Morecambe: Mair, Bedeau, Rawson, Songo’o, Adams (Davenport 82), Mayor, Senior, Slew, Stokes, Taylor, Edwards (Brown 62). Subs not used: A Smith, Tutonda, C Smith, Melbourne, Threlkeld.

Booked: Senior, Mayor, Brown.

Mansfield Town: Pym, Cargill, Akins, Clarke (Quinn 87), Bowery, Maris (Lewis 88), Macdonald (McLaughlin 45), Flint, Brunt, Reed, Keillor-Dunn. Subs not used: Flinders, Williams, Swan, Boateng.

Attendance: 4,387.



Latest | January 2024