{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

21st September 2023 0:19

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Colchester United 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
Taylor 30. Keillor-Dunn 90
Attendance: 3,740 (460 from Mansfield)

Date: 16 September 2023

Martin Shaw at the JobServe Community Stadium

Mansfield Town rescued a point with an equaliser from Davis Keillor-Dunn in the last minute at Colchester United this afternoon. The Stags hadn’t played very well, and Colchester had deservedly led since the 30th minute when Joe Taylor put them in front. Mansfield were sloppy through much of the game, creating very few clearcut chances, and it looked like the Stags would lose their tag as the only EFL club to be unbeaten this season in all competitions. But then with 10 seconds of the 90 minutes left, Aden Flint, who had been thrown up front, headed down a Lewis Brunt ball into the box, and Keillor-Dunn pounced, smashing an unstoppable shot into the top left corner of the net from 15 yards. It was Keillor-Dunn’s 7th goal of the season, in 8 league games. In my opinion, this was the first time the Stags had got more from a game than they deserved in the league this season, having only drawn at Crewe, Doncaster and Grimsby, in games they should have won.

The Stags were without George Maris through injury, though a scan of his knee showed only bruising not serious damage, so he will only be out for a week or two, which is very good news. He was replaced by Hiram Boateng. Callum Johnson was back from injury on the bench and came on in the second half.

Colchester took the lead after 30 minutes. Lewis Brunt brought the ball out of defence, but lost it, allowing Arthur Read to thread a ball forward for Joe Taylor, on loan from Luton, to move into the space vacated by Brunt, and smash a powerful shot under Christy Pym from 12 yards. I don’t think Pym could do much about it given the ferocity of the shot, but Brunt can’t be losing the ball there, and he did similar at Accrington last week but got away with it.

Joe Taylor had threatened twice in the five minutes before the goal, as he got away from Brunt in the area and fired in a shot with the outside of his right boot from six yards that Pym saved above his head. Then Taylor got into the area on the left again and fired goalwards from a tight angle but Pym did well to make himself big and narrow the angle, saving with his legs. After the goal, striker Samson Tovide, who had a good game for Colchester, got away from Brunt, turned and shot wide from 14 yards.

Mansfield’s best chances of the first half came after 6 minutes when Hiram Boateng’s corner was dummied by Aaron Lewis giving Louis Reed a free shot from 22 yards but he blasted it high over the bar. That came after a comedy moment when Boateng kicked the corner flag instead of the ball, but because he didn’t touch the ball he got another go at taking the corner! And the other good chance for the Stags came on 23 minutes when Brunt did well to find James Gale on the right in the area, Gale thrashed a cross-shot across the face of goal and Keillor-Dunn couldn’t turn it in at the far post.

Into the second half, Will Swan replaced Gale. The Stags had a chance after 53 minutes, when Lewis threaded a nice ball forward for Keillor-Dunn in the area, Keillor-Dunn turned and got in a shot from 12 yards that brought a save from the keeper. Then Keillor-Dunn headed over the bar from 6 yards from a Jordan Bowery cross.

That was a rare cross from Bowery. Both he and Macdonald didn’t get in enough crosses and both were replaced in the second half.

Baily Cargill came on after 60 minutes. Aden Flint was pushed up front, in a move that was a surprise to me but turned out to be a very good move that paid off. Flint was pushed over in the area by Mandela Egbo after 63 minutes. I thought that could have been a penalty but the referee wasn’t interested.

Cargill was straight into the action with a series of good tackles and blocks as Colchester had several breaks into the Stags half.

Nigel Clough thought that Mansfield should have had another penalty when sub Ollie Clarke knocked the ball forward into the area and a defender moved his hand towards the ball to block it. Again the referee wasn’t interested.

Colchester could have sealed the game after 84 minutes with a two-on-one break but Brunt did well to block John Akinde’s ball across. Then from the resulting corner, Akinde headed down and Lewis headed off the line.

But with 10 seconds of the 90 minutes left, Mansfield equalised. Flint headed down a Brunt ball into the box from the halfway line, and Keillor-Dunn pounced, smashing an unstoppable left-footed shot into the top left corner of the net from 15 yards.

Mansfield had a chance to win it after 90+5 minutes as Swan played inside to Lewis, and Lewis rifled a left footed chance goalwards but the keeper saved.

It finished 1-1. It was a relief to get the draw. This was really the first time this season Mansfield have been poor. And that’s pretty impressive after 8 league games and 2 cup games. Nobody played particularly well as the Stags were sloppy. Pym did ok in goal with some good handling. Flint and Keillor-Dunn combined well on the goal. Baily Cargill really caught the eye with a fine half hour from the substitutes bench and in my opinion deserves to come into the starting XI next week. Credit to Colchester, who defended well, and broke forward dangerously.

No midweek game, with the EFL Trophy game against Everton U21 moved to November. The next game is at home to Barrow next Saturday. Barrow have started the season well with 12 points from 7 games. The Stags though will hope to get back to winning ways.

Here’s a running tally of various stats this season:

Goals (league and cup): Keillor-Dunn 7, Akins 3, Maris 3, Oates 3, Lewis 1, Reed 1.

Assists (league and cup): Oates 4, Quinn 4, Keillor-Dunn 3, Bowery 1, Gale 1, Flint 1, Maris 1, Reed 1.
(notes on assists: in the case of a penalty, the player who earns the penalty gets an assist. In the case of a solo goal, such as Maris against Newport at home two seasons ago, nobody gets an assist. In the case of the scorer scoring from the rebound after a shot is saved or blocked, the player who had the shot saved gets an assist. In the case of an own goal, the player who caused the own goal gets an assist, for example McLaughlin against Newport away two seasons ago where his shot was deflected in for an own goal. In the case of a cross that is headed away before the goal is scored, such as Clarke’s goal at Doncaster last season, nobody gets an assist.)

Injuries: Kilgour (ruptured Achilles, return July), Hewitt (ACL, return April), Quinn (nicked a ligament in side of knee, out for 3-4 months), Oates (ruptured ankle ligaments, out for 2-3 months), McLaughlin (knee, return mid-late Oct), Maris (knee, “bruising, no serious damage, out for probably a week or two”), O’Toole (ankle, injured in U21 game against Notts Co, out for a week).

Yellow cards (league only, alphabetical order): Boateng 1, Cargill 2, Clarke 1, Gale 1, Johnson 1, Keillor-Dunn 1, Kilgour 1, Lewis 1, Macdonald 1, Maris 1, Quinn 1, Reed 3, Swan 1.
Red cards (league and cup): Macdonald 1.
(note: red cards count across competitions apart from Papa John’s Trophy; yellow cards are competition specific)
(note: 5 yellow cards before the end of the 19th league game will result in a one match ban; 10 yellow cards before the end of the 37th league game will result in a two match ban; 15 yellow cards before the end of the 46th league game will result in a three match ban)



Colchester United 1-1 Mansfield Town
Taylor (30'minutes)
Keillor-Dunn (90'minutes)
Read (30'minutes)

Match report supplied by PA Media.

Davis Keillor-Dunn's 90th-minute equaliser rescued a point for Mansfield and preserved their unbeaten run following a 1-1 draw at Colchester.

Keillor-Dunn slammed home from close range after the home defence had failed to deal with Aden Flint's flick-on in the area.

Louis Reed had blasted over early on for the Stags, while Colchester goalkeeper Owen Goodman denied James Gale.

But goalkeeper Christy Pym twice foiled Joe Taylor in the space of as many minutes, before Colchester took a 30th-minute lead.

Taylor finished clinically past Pym, after being sent through by Arthur Read's superb through pass.

Colchester hunted for a second after that with Zach Mitchell blasting wide at the far post and Samson Tovide dragging a low shot wide, before half-time.

Dunn fired straight at Goodman for Mansfield after the break and then headed over from close range when unmarked.

But Colchester almost doubled their lead with six minutes remaining when John Akinde's header was nodded off the line by Lewis, before Keillor-Dunn salvaged Mansfield a point.

Match Stats
Home Team Colchester Away Team Mansfield
Possession Home 31% Away 69%
Shots Home 12 Away 10
Shots on Target Home 4 Away 5
Corners Home 3 Away 4
Fouls Home 9 Away 4


Mansfield Town maintain unbeaten record after late leveller at Colchester United
chad.co.uk, Sat 16 Sep 2023

Mansfield’s impressive unbeaten start to the League Two campaign was just about maintained thanks to Davis Keillor-Dunn’s late leveller at Colchester.

Keillor-Dunn smashed unerringly into the top corner in the 90th minute following a smart knock-down from Aden Flint.

There was an end-to-end start to the game at the Jobserve Community Stadium.

Inside the opening minute the U’s went close when Jayden Fevrier let fly, only to see his effort blocked.


The Stags replied with Louis Reed firing narrowly over the top following some neat approach play by Hiram Boateng.

As the lively start continued, Stags’ Lucas Akins tried a curling strike which drifted just the wrong side of the post.

It had been an encouraging start from Nigel Clough’s men, and next to go close was Boateng, who saw a decent 25-yard strike well gathered by ‘keeper Owen Goodman.

As the Stags continued to press for an opener, defender Aden Flint eased forward before drilling a shot from distance narrowly over the top.

Just when a Stags opener was looking the most likely, the U’s opened the scoring after half-an-hour.

Joe Taylor slotted neatly past Christy Pym following Arthur Read’s tee-up.

Samson Tovide came close to doubling the hosts’ leading before the break.

Keillor-Dunn came close with the Stags’ first opportunity of the second period, though he ought to have done better when shooting straight at Goodman.

Keillor-Dunn then found himself presented with another great chance from Jordan Bowery’s cross, but he headed over the top from just eight yards.

As the final 10 minutes approached, this was looking like turning into a frustrating away-day for the Stags.

However, Keillor-Dunn came to the rescue in dramatic style.

Colchester: Goodman, Egbo, Mitchell, Hall, Fevrier, Read, McGeehan (Mingi , 60), Kazeem, Chilvers, Tovide, Taylor.

Subs not used: Ihionvien, Bandeira, Smith, Akinde, Nelson, Thomas.

Stags: Pym, Bowery (Cargill, 61), Flint, Brunt, MacDonald (Williams, 81), Lewis, Reed, Keillor-Dunn, Boateng (O Clarke, 71), Akins (Johnson, 60), Gale (Swan, 46).

Subs not used: Flinders, Cooper.

Referee: Andy Davies.


Colchester United drew with Mansfield Town in League Two
gazette-news.co.uk, By Jonathan Waldron, Sat 16 Sep 2023

A LATE goal denied Colchester United a noteworthy victory over unbeaten Mansfield Town this afternoon, following 1-1 draw at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Davis Keillor-Dunn's 90th-minute strike prevented the U's from taking all three points at the JobServe Community Stadium, after the hosts had led for much of the game through Joe Taylor's strike.

Colchester boss Ben Garner named an unchanged team, keeping faith with the side that started the 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers, seven days earlier.


But there was a place on the U's bench for young centre-back, Ronny Nelson.

The visitors started brightly and Louis Reed blasted a decent chance over from the edge of the area after Aaron Lewis had cleverly dummied Hiram Boateng's pass.

James Gale's cross-shot was pushed away by Colchester goalkeeper Goodman midway through the first half, with Davis Keillor-Dunn is unable to convert at the far post.

But Colchester warmed to the task and Joe Taylor had two difficult chances in the space of as many minutes, shortly after the midway point of the first half.

The on-loan Luton Town striker first found himself in some space in the area but shot is straight at Pym.

And a minute later, Taylor was sent through in the area by Chilvers and from a tight angle, forced another save from Pym at his near post.

However, Taylor did find the net on the half hour mark - and it was a superbly-taken strike.

The U’s leading scorer finished clinically past Pym after being sent through by Arthur Read's superb through pass.

Colchester pushed for a second after that before half-time.

Zach Mitchell blasted wide at the far post, after Noah Chilvers had lofted a ball towards him at the back post.

And soon after, Samson Tovide controlled Read's pass and burst into the area, holding off a defender before dragging a low shot wide.

Colchester went in at the break ahead and Mansfield made a change at the break in an attempt to get back into the match, with Will Swan sent on in attack in place of Gale.

The Stags started the second half with purpose and almost equalised eight minutes after the break when Keillor-Dunn sent a shot straight at Goodman off balance from close range, from Lewis's pass.

Keillor-Dunn headed over unmarked on the hour, shortly before Colchester made their first change with Jay Mingi on for Cameron McGeehan.

The U's came close to doubling their lead with 22 minutes to go when Read's deflected long-range effort was saved by Pym.

Mansfield played with experienced defender Aden Flint up front for much of the second half, as they sought an equaliser.

The visitors enjoyed more of the possession but struggled to break through a solid U's backline and Colchester almost doubled their lead with six minutes remaining when substitute John Akinde's header was nodded off the line by Lewis, following Read's corner.

But Mansfield equalised in the 90th minute when Keillor-Dunn emphatically slammed home from close range, after the U's defence had failed to deal with Aden Flint's flick on in the area from Callum Johnson's delivery.

It was hard luck on Colchester who had looked good value for their lead but the points were shared.

MATCH FACTS: COLCHESTER UNITED: Goodman, Hall, Mitchell, Egbo, Kazeem, Read, McGeehan (sub Mingi, 60), Chilvers, Fevrier, Taylor (sub Ihionvien, 81), Tovide (sub Akinde, 81).

Substitutes (not used): Nelson, Thomas, Banderia, Akinde, Ihionvien, Smith.

Mansfield Town: Pym, Flint, Lewis, Gale (sub Swan, 46), Brunt, Reed, Keillor-Dunn, Boateng (sub Clarke, 70), Akins (sub Cargill, 60), Bowery (sub Johnson, 60), MacDonald (sub Williams, 81).

Substitutes (not used): Flinders, Cooper.

Goals: Colchester: Taylor (30). Mansfield: Keillor-Dunn (90).

Bookings: Colchester: Taylor (unsporting behaviour, 75), Egbo (unsporting behaviour, 80), Fevrier (foul, 87), Chilvers (unsporting behaviour, 89). Mansfield: Reed (foul, 64), Cargill (foul, 72).

Referee: Andy Davies.

Attendance: 3,740 (460 Mansfield fans).


Report: U's Denied At The Death
Late Mansfield goal stops back-to-back home victories
cu-fc.com, Andy Carmichael

Mansfield Town left it late to secure a point against the U’s in the latest Sky Bet League Two action at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Colchester United picked up a first-half lead courtesy of Joe Taylor’s sixth of the season, and held their advantage at the break.


The U’s were the better side for long periods in the second half, but couldn’t make their superiority county though, as the Stags struck in the ninetieth minute to deny Colchester back-to-back wins in North Essex.

Ben Garner named an unchanged starting eleven from the side that won comfortably against Tranmere Rovers last weekend. In fact, there was just one change in the eighteen with Ronny Nelson coming in for Will Greenidge amongst the substitutes.

The players took their shape in the usual 3-5-2 formation, with Goodman in goal and the trio of Hall, Mitchell and Egbo sitting in front. Arthur Read recovered from a hand injury to start in defensive midfield, just behind Chilvers and McGeehan, with Kazeem and Fevrier out on the wings supporting Tovide and Taylor up front.

There were half-chances for either side in the opening ten minutes with both Fevrier and Reed trying their luck from distance, but neither was accurate enough to trouble the goalkeepers in the afternoon sunshine.

The U’s did, however, have to be on alert for a barrage of early Stags’ corners - Nigel Clough’s side were racking up the set pieces quickly, but failed to cause any real danger to Goodman’s goal.

Mansfield were becoming frustrated that their pressure on goal wasn’t resulting in an advantage for them, with Lewis taking his emotions out on Arthur Read with a late challenge - the midfielder escaped with just a word in the ear from the officials.

Two quick-fire chances fell the way of Joe Taylor, with both denied by Christy Pym in the Mansfield goal. Taylor was alert to pounce on a loose ball with his improvised effort palmed away, and a minute later he controlled a looping pass well before the legs of the ‘keeper denied him from close range.

It was third time lucky for the Luton Town loanee though, as he fired the U’s in front with an emphatic drive on the half hour mark. Arthur Read spotted his run with Taylor making no mistake, driving into the penalty area and rifling home with aplomb.

And the U’s were unlucky not to be two goals ahead five minutes later. Samson Tovide battled well to keep possession in a dangerous area, losing his man with a quick spin, but his effort bobbled just wide of the far post and out for a goal kick.

Ben Garner’s side made it back into the dressing room with their one-goal advantage, and emerged unchanged for the second period; the visitors made one change with Swan on for Gale.

The visitors had the first effort on goal of the second half, but it was a tame one from Davis Keillor-Dunn as Goodman was easily able to catch.

There were changes for both sides on the hour mark with Cameron McGeehan withdrawn and replaced by Jay Minigi, with a double swap for the Stags. Johnson and Cargill took the places of Akins and Bowery.

Soon after, the first yellow card of the afternoon was issued. Louis Reed was cautioned for tripping Samson Tovide while the U’s were on a promising attack with twenty-five to play.

A couple of long-range efforts followed for the U’s who were struggling to penetrate the Stags’ eighteen-yard box, with Arthur Read’s shot panicking Chrsity Pym. The goalkeeper had to scramble back after a wicked deflection to collect on the line.

And another change came quickly for Mansfield, with Hiram Boateng replaced by Ollie Clarke with twenty minutes to play. Two bookings came quickly after with Cargill and Taylor both issued yellow cards, as the U’s opted to make two more changes before full-time.

John Akinde and Bradley Ihionvien came on to try and see out the game, or perhaps extend the U’s advantage in the final ten minutes, before another couple of bookings for Ben Garner’s side for time-wasting.

Jayden Fevrier and Noah Chilvers were both cautioned while the U’s were in front, but the visitors struck late on to secure a point and extend their unbeaten run.

Davis Keillor-Dunn was unmarked in the area and powerfully fired home to steal a point at the death for his side.

Neither side was able to claim a late winner with the points being shared. The U’s now sit eighteenth in League Two - with a break from league action to come on Tuesday night with Ben Garner’s side welcoming Tottenham Hotspur U21s in the EFL Trophy.

Colchester United starting XI: Goodman, Hall, Tovide (Ihionvien 81’), Chilvers, McGeehan (Mingi 60’), Mitchell, Read, Egbo, Taylor (Akinde 81’), Kazeem, Fevrier.

Subs: Smith, Bandeira, Mingi, Akinde, Nelson, Thomas, Ihionvien.

Mansfield Town starting XI: Pym, Akins (Cargill 60’), Bowery (Johnson 60’), MacDonald, Gale (Swan 46’), Flint, Lewis, Brunt, Reed, Keillor-Dunn, Boateng (Clarke 71’).

Subs: Flinders, Johnson, Cargill, Clarke, Cooper, Williams, Swan.